Bluemour Discussion Thread XV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should really come as no surprise that we'd be after a quality and 'right-type' FA, alongside with using this years first for another player.
Add in dangling next years first for another quality player at years end and everything comes across as perfectly reasonable.

Use our thirds for players of Newman-ilk and the pieces can come together sooner than later.
let's face it; The club won't want to go another year and then another year to become finals-viable. It wants to do it ASAP, for every logical reason.

I have no issue the club targeting Cogs, as long as our feelers extend further as there are some very good FA's, as well as OOC players

The next 3 years are crucial for list balance, rather than just one messiah

I have no issue the club targeting Cogs, as long as our feelers extend further as there are some very good FA's, as well as OOC players

The next 3 years are crucial for list balance, rather than just one messiah

I've already tabled out what I see coming about and don't see many 18 year olds involved until it comes to late ND picks/RD picks.

We have Adelaides first and two third rounders in the draft this year. They could all be sold off for the right senior players.
Throw in next years first and we could have 4 ready-to-go players come 2020.

I think we have enough project players on the books already; BSilvagni, O'Dwyer and Owies will all be there in 2020 just for starters.
By the time we add in a few more kids, that should do it.

I think our best chance of a premiership and maybe a dynasty is back in our mids and chase FAs or trades for needs.

I would chase the following:
- line breaking half back flanker
- mercurial small forward
- potentially a ruck

They don’t cost as much (picks, players or cap space), you will likely be able to fill more needs rather than just get one gun, more likely to execute the deal and less likely to piss off those currently on the list we want to retain.

2019 will tell us whether these kids are heading in the right direction or stagnating. Either way - the messiah trade/FA is more likely to lead the team fail (wrt premiership) then succeed.

Insert Players to be targeted:
- hbf - ........, Igot Noidea, ......
Quality thinking.
Get you a job on SOS's list management and recruiting team.
:thumbsu:

I've already tabled out what I see coming about and don't see many 18 year olds involved until it comes to late ND picks/RD picks.

We have Adelaides first and two third rounders in the draft this year. They could all be sold off for the right senior players.
Throw in next years first and we could have 4 ready-to-go players come 2020.

I think we have enough project players on the books already; BSilvagni, O'Dwyer and Owies will all be there in 2020 just for starters.
By the time we add in a few more kids, that should do it.

I too think we will target some ready made players, but I still strongly believe we will draft players within the top 25 in each year

This must still be about a balanced approach. I will be very interested how it plays out

I too think we will target some ready made players, but I still strongly believe we will draft players within the top 25 in each year

This must still be about a balanced approach. I will be very interested how it plays out

Top 25 each year?
Sell off a first round pick and we should be out of that region.

Just seems to me we have to target the right more-senior types for a year or two.
Players that fill an immediate year rather than scouting for future talent. Keep saying it but it's not more kids we need right now.

We would be mad to push for Kelly over Coniglio.

Just the pure trade cost of it.

Push hard for Cogs. Front load the hell out of his contract. Then his wage coming down as our young guys start demanding their pay days.

This.

Seven year, 8 million dollar contract works for me. Frontload the s**t out of it through the first 2 years (1.5 - 2 million per year for years 1 and 2), seeing as we have everyone signed to 2021 at present.

According to the AFL website Cripps (and Murphy weirdly) are on around 800k. Simmo, Kruezer and Charlie are likely in the next bracket down on around 600k.

Money we have, and with Murphy, Thomas and Simpson set to retire in the next 2 years, we'll have more than enough going around in the near future to cover the salaries of our kids (all currently locked away) on longer term deals.

Throw the farm at Congilio.

Happy to chase Cogs given no draft picks are involved and as long as it doesn't hamper attracting/fitting in other A and B grade targets

Seriously dude, screw draft picks this year and next. We dont need them. Our list is chock a block full of 1st round picks. We've been hitting the draft hard the past 4 drafts and trading in 20 year old former 1st round picks to add to the ones we've drafted.

Carlton’s exhaustive list rebuild is finally complete, with the Blues amassing more top-10 picks than the AFL’s million dollar baby Greater Western Sydney.

The Blues now have an AFL-high 19 top-20 picks on their list, with nearly half of their players taken in the first round or top 20 selections of an AFL draft.

https://outline.com/LN6cXT

We cant keep going back to that same well. Adding more kids doesnt help us climb the ladder. It's time to shift in our trading and drafting strategy ('Phase 2') towards trading in players (and obtaining them via F/A) to fill list spots and add established A grade talent around those 19 top 20 picks already on our list.

This year our 1st is linked to Adelaide, and next year you would hope we would be rising up the ladder. We trade both of them for a gun player in a heartbeat.

The only way we use our 1st this year and next year is if we cant lure any A graders to agree to sign with us. Otherwise, they're getting used on trades.

We've been banking cap space for this very reason for years now, and have everyone locked away on long term deals, and have 3 big name retirements (Simmo, Murph and Thomas) to open up even more cap space and list spots that will need to be filled with equal or greater talent.

It's always been part of the plan. Go to the draft for 3 years, trade players out, build a core of 18-21 year olds in those 3 years (while banking cap space) and then shift gears to adding free agents and A grade players in via trade and F/A.

Im all but convinced we're all but done with the draft for the next 2-3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously dude, screw draft picks this year and next. We dont need them. Our list is chock a block full of 1st round picks. We've been hitting the draft hard the past 4 drafts and trading in 20 year old former 1st round picks to add to the ones we've drafted.

https://outline.com/LN6cXT

We cant keep going back to that same well. Adding more kids doesnt help us climb the ladder. It's time to shift in our trading and drafting strategy ('Phase 2') towards trading in players (and obtaining them via F/A) to fill list spots and add established A grade talent around those 19 top 20 picks already on our list.

This year our 1st is linked to Adelaide, and next year you would hope we would be rising up the ladder. We trade both of them for a gun player in a heartbeat.

The only way we use our 1st this year and next year is if we cant lure any A graders to agree to sign with us. Otherwise, they're getting used on trades.

We've been banking cap space for this very reason for years now, and have everyone locked away on long term deals, and have 3 big name retirements (Simmo, Murph and Thomas) to open up even more cap space and list spots that will need to be filled with equal or greater talent.

It's always been part of the plan. Go to the draft for 3 years, trade players out, build a core of 18-21 year olds in those 3 years (while banking cap space) and then shift gears to adding free agents and A grade players in via trade and F/A.

Im all but convinced we're all but done with the draft for the next 2-3 years.

I’m fairly sure Arr0w was saying he wanted picks to trade for other players

Never mentioned anything about keep going to the draft

Coniglio would be good - very good. A midfield of Cripps, Coniglo and Walsh is borderline ridiculous.

Actually almost hope Conigilo, Kelly et al will stay at GWS, would be s**t for the comp if they miss their window and all the players leave for a flag elsewhere. To be fair to that club they've done everything right from scratch - seemed to have built a good culture, not too difficult to trade with, don't hold kids to their mercy (except that forward that went to Freo), play a good brand. Wouldn't mind if those kids originally drafted there won a flag and played their career out there.

Why are people assuming we can front load contracts? Do people know how our Salary Caps sits at the moment?

Given we've apparently been well under the cap for a few years, we should have some space banked. With a few senior players close to the end as well, and not many of our youngsters doing enough just yet to command huge salaries, and it's the logical conclusion to draw.

Coniglio would be good - very good. A midfield of Cripps, Coniglo and Walsh is borderline ridiculous.

Actually almost hope Conigilo, Kelly et al will stay at GWS, would be s**t for the comp if they miss their window and all the players leave for a flag elsewhere. To be fair to that club they've done everything right from scratch - seemed to have built a good culture, not too difficult to trade with, don't hold kids to their mercy (except that forward that went to Freo), play a good brand. Wouldn't mind if those kids originally drafted there won a flag and played their career out there.
Club aside I'd prefer the AFLs plan of gifting them a list to win a flag at the expense of teams needing to replenish through the draft to fail. It also massively helped Hawthorn get their 3 peat. I'd not mind them winning but the cost yo the comp in the way the afl brought them in wasn't great.

Given we've apparently been well under the cap for a few years, we should have some space banked. With a few senior players close to the end as well, and not many of our youngsters doing enough just yet to command huge salaries, and it's the logical conclusion to draw.

Is it? Why? How do we know that Charlie McGovern Cripps and others aren’t front ended? IMO it’s just guessing

Is it? Why? How do we know that Charlie McGovern Cripps and others aren’t front ended? IMO it’s just guessing

They almost certainly were frontloaded, simply to enable us to pay the 95 percent cap minimum!

End result is that at the end of those deals (2020-2021) we're getting to the back end of those deals (freeing up tons of cash) plus the banked space over the prior 3 years, plus the fact we're still sitting at 95 percent, plus the fact we look to be shedding around 2 million (Murphy, Simpson, Thomas, Casboult) over those same 2 years, plus the fact the cap has increased to around 15 million over that time.

We've intentionally placed ourselves in the position where we can be super aggressive this year and next year at the trade table and F/A market. We've been managing the salary cap for years to create a large hole right at this exact moment.

It was always the plan. 'Phase 1' = hit the draft hard and assemble the core of the list via kids over 3 years. 'Phase 2' = trades and free agents to supplement that list.

Phase 2 is complete when we win #17.

They almost certainly were frontloaded, simply to enable us to pay the 95 percent cap minimum!

End result is that at the end of those deals (2020-2021) we're getting to the back end of those deals (freeing up tons of cash) plus the banked space over the prior 3 years, plus the fact we're still sitting at 95 percent, plus the fact we look to be shedding around 2 million (Murphy, Simpson, Thomas, Casboult) over those same 2 years, plus the fact the cap has increased to around 15 million over that time.

We've intentionally placed ourselves in the position where we can be super aggressive this year and next year at the trade table and F/A market. We've been managing the salary cap for years to create a large hole right at this exact moment.

It was always the plan. 'Phase 1' = hit the draft hard and assemble the core of the list via kids over 3 years. 'Phase 2' = trades and free agents to supplement that list.

Phase 2 is complete when we win #17.

Not arguing that point and agree with the strategy.

Just wondering why so many people say we can front load contacts for new players?

If were paying 100 percent of the cap to our current playing list SOS should be shot at dawn.

Theyre mostly 1st-4th year players with only Cripps being a big earner.

Why can’t he be front loading our current list to ensure we have heaps of room over the next few years to pay more players?

Why are people assuming we can front load contracts? Do people know how our Salary Caps sits at the moment?
This is Bigfooty where every club has $1M in cap space because we are delisting Player X,Y and Z, Player A,B and C are already on heavily front loaded deals and the cap is rising so we have a tonne of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back