Society/Culture Christchurch Mosque mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, you can.

ASIO goes to Facebook and demands they de-encrypt the communications between suspect X and suspect Y (who ASIO have credible inteliigence to suggest are in the planning phase of a serious crime). If Facebook fail to comply with de-encryption (when they are able to do so), they get penalized by the law.

I can subpoena in documents (including electronic data) in legal proceedings, and the police can seize it as well (and intercept it). What use is it if it's encrypted?
No, you can't. That is not how it works. All messages are either encrypted end-to-end using an algorithm (which to provide a back door to means providing a back door to all messages) or by inspecting all the encrypted data on a platform.

Anyone who's more familiar with 4chan and 8chan.

Is it mostly trolls or are these people serious? It's genuinely baffling that anyone can be that utterly stupid. Some of the s**t they're posting about the being a Jewish Psyop; holy dumb Batman!
I'm not an expert, but: 4chan has always been the arsehole of the internet. Pretty much every offensive meme throughout the history of the internet originated there, from /b/ in particular. However, it is mostly just 30-year-old guys who still live in their parents' basement trying to be edgelords. They say all that offensive s**t on /pol/ - calling each other "n*****s" and "f*****s" - as a joke, and because they can get away with it.

8chan, on the other hand, is a legit hellhole from what I've heard. It's 4chan on steroids, and most of the degenerates on there aren't joking. 4chan started cracking down on certain things (child pr0n, death threats) and so I guess all the real lowlifes migrated over.

What a piece of s**t Fraser Anning is too. Him being in the senate is more than enough reason to look at how a ******* like this has been allowed to become a senator despite nobody actually voting for him.

250,126 Queenslanders voted him in

Arrogant narcissists with god complexes who confuse what they say with what god says

Also stupid people that listen to them

So basically as long as there are stupid people around, there will be religion. So we're all ******
You're missing the point that in earlier eras of history religion was a valuable tool that allowed human beings to not only morally orient themselves in the world, but also offered the best available explanation at the time for why and how the world existed and was the way it was.

Times have changed and it can be argued science has rendered religion's teachings obsolete, yet there's no doubt billions still derive palpable benefit from religion and if asked would unhesitatingly attest it enriches their lives. Which is why I'm not in the least opposed to religion provided those who practice it don't attempt to force their views onto others. Peaceful religion that adds meaning to lives? Great. Toxic religion that justifies violence? Now you've lost me.

Obviously its also true there's never a shortage of unscrupulous folk out there willing to exploit religion for their own purposes, but if religion went away they'd simply find other power structures and belief systems to abuse. Con-artists latch onto whatever they can find and they'll always find something, nor will there ever be a lack of willing saps as you mentioned.

No, you can't. That is not how it works. All messages are either encrypted end-to-end using an algorithm (which to provide a back door to means providing a back door to all messages) or by inspecting all the encrypted data on a platform.

No, it's not that simple. In the military we used encryption that literally changes the algorithm each time you plug the 'egg' (as we called it) into the radios. * knows how it works (only the chooks knew that s**t) but unless both sides were using the same device, it was effectively uncrackable.

I doubt ASIS are going to Facebook and requesting they decrypt 30 million Aussie citizens encrypted messenger chats, or how on earth they would be able to do anything with that data (let alone have the man-hours to actually read it all). They'll have a few suspects of interest and they'll subpoena those messages, in de-encrypted format.

Dont worry mate, your dick pics are secure for another day.

I'm not an expert, but: 4chan has always been the arsehole of the internet. Pretty much every offensive meme throughout the history of the internet originated there, from /b/ in particular. However, it is mostly just 30-year-old guys who still live in their parents' basement trying to be edgelords. They say all that offensive s**t on /pol/ - calling each other "n*****s" and "f*****s" - as a joke, and because they can get away with it.

8chan, on the other hand, is a legit hellhole from what I've heard. It's 4chan on steroids, and most of the degenerates on there aren't joking.

Ah man, that's mental. This is all new to me as my life pretty much consists of my few hobbies, none of which are on the internet. I have no Twitter, no Facebook, no Instagram. Nothing.

All of this stuff has blown my mind - this internet is a dark place. I hate it.

The victimization of the right in here is astounding. I'm sick of hearing "both sides are as bad as each other". Show me the body count to back it up.

I don't care if I get called out for "political point scoring". Today was an absolute tragedy, but there inevitably has to be a conversation about ideology here, no matter how much people want to avoid it (for obvious reasons).

You're missing the point that in earlier eras of history religion was a valuable tool that allowed human beings to not only morally orient themselves in the world, but also offered the best available explanation at the time for why and how the world existed and was the way it was.

Dont want to burst your bubble, but the attacker wasnt religious.

Unless your argument is that he wouldnt have perpetrated the attack unless he WAS religious, and in that case I posit 'ISIS'.

Plenty of killings have been perpetrated by both athiests and fundamentalists alike man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Times have changed and it can be argued science has rendered religion's teachings obsolete, yet there's no doubt billions still derive palpable benefit from religion and if asked would unhesitatingly attest it enriches their lives. Which is why I'm not in the least opposed to religion provided those who practice it don't attempt to force their views onto others. Peaceful religion that adds meaning to lives? Great. Toxic religion that justifies violence? Now you've lost me.

Obviously its also true there's never a shortage of unscrupulous folk out there willing to exploit religion for their own purposes, but if religion went away they'd simply find other power structures and belief systems to abuse. Con-artists latch onto whatever they can find and they'll always find something, nor will there ever be a lack of willing saps as you mentioned.

The whole manifesto of religion is to force it on other people, violently or sneakily, that will never change. Their own business model relies on expansion and membership, it is kind of naive to think religion will just peacefully exist among themselves. Their manifesto also includes not tolerating other religions, that's why they slaughter each other so much in the developing countries. Telling religion to not force it on other people is like telling an unneutered dog not to hump your leg

While the Christchurch shooting is absolutely evil and abhorrent, these kind of stuff happen on a daily basis in the Middle East, by the hands of religious extremists instead of a white supremacists and no one care or bat an eyelid. We only become outraged and disgusted when it happens to a beautiful peaceful country like New Zealand in the craziest way possible because the sick * streamed that s**t. Violence relating to religion happen everywhere, whether committing by the religions or to the religions, it will never stop as long as they exists. Religions just exist to divide society

I wonder if anyone else saw Scott Morrison on the Channel 9 news this evening. I don't know if it was just me be he looked like he was trying very hard not to smile when he was talking about this atrocity. He was really, really creepy - more so than usual.

No, he has developed a smirky grin which is hard to change in an instant.

Comes from years as a politician trying to look oh so clever & all knowing, when he's really just as clever as a brick.

No, it's not that simple. In the military we used encryption that literally changes the algorithm each time you plug the 'egg' (as we called it) into the radios. **** knows how it works (only the chooks knew that s**t) but unless both sides were using the same device, it was effectively uncrackable.
Yes, but let's say someone wants to crack it whenever they need it, and the algorithm changes for each communication. You don't know the given algorithm in advance. How do you design the algorithm(s) to do this? It must be crackable for all algorithms, meaning all communications are open.
I doubt ASIS are going to Facebook and requesting they decrypt 30 million Aussie citizens encrypted messenger chats, or how on earth they would be able to do anything with that data (let alone have the man-hours to actually read it all).
Easy - spin up a bunch of EC2s on AWS with lots of graphics cards attached and run them all through a machine learning algorithm. This is what the Chinese do, although they don't need subpoenas.
Dont worry mate, your dick pics are secure for another day.
Mostly sent to FireKraquora's girlfriends.

Ah man, that's mental. This is all new to me as my life pretty much consists of my few hobbies, none of which are on the internet. I have no Twitter, no Facebook, no Instagram. Nothing.

All of this stuff has blown my mind - this internet is a dark place. I hate it.
4chan used to be a lot worse. You'd stumble across child pr0n, bestiality and other obscenities without much effort. I guess when 4chan started cracking down on all that stuff, along with the removal of discussion of the "Gamergate" scandal, the degenerates moved elsewhere.

Last edited:
Dont want to burst your bubble, but the attacker wasnt religious.

Unless your argument is that he wouldnt have perpetrated the attack unless he WAS religious, and in that case I posit 'ISIS'.

Plenty of killings have been perpetrated by both athiests and fundamentalists alike man.
I'm not suggesting the attacker was religious, merely replying to another post on the topic. That said, obviously religion has an important place in this discussion given the victims were Muslim.

Naturally atrocities have been committed by religious & secular folk alike. Humans hardly only use religion to justify violence, but also racial hatred, greed, ambition, and in some cases no reason at all except they're bored and want to watch something die. Its impossible to truly climb inside the mind of the terrorist but that won't stop us trying.

Do you know of any cases where people who hold and express racist views have been persuaded out of them?
Yes. I do.

He still has tattoos, but he puts it down to being a lonely, confused young man who didn't have a dad, struggled with girls, and found mates who were cool to him so long as he believed.

Now a normal dude who sees his tattoos as part of his past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back