TOOTHLESS TIGERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Do some of you even watch (and understand) the roles of players? If I go back over old posts, I bet some of you were espousing how good a player Dusty is. Tigers lose and all aboard the "doesn't tackle" train.

Fair dinkum...I don't want to call you simpletons but I'm at a loss for other words to describe what is pure naivety re: his role in the team.

Do some of you even watch (and understand) the roles of players? If I go back over old posts, I bet some of you were espousing how good a player Dusty is. Tigers lose and all aboard the "doesn't tackle" train.

Fair dinkum...I don't want to call you simpletons but I'm at a loss for other words to describe what is pure naivety re: his role in the team.

So as your prime midfielder his role in the team is just to give away HTB free kicks, turn the ball over and not tackle? Because that is what he has contributed to the team the past 3 games.
Thats some seriously deluded or comical s**t there man- I cant decide which.

BS,set up as a troll,put it with the other 5 billion fruitloop threads in the bay all obsessing over Richmond.
"Has the pre-season Premiership favourite been neutered by other teams working out their gameplan?"

Seems completely relevant to me. The only thing possibly Bay-worthy is the Thread title, but it is pretty clever.

Next week is going to be difficult. GWS away with no Rance, Grimes or Riewoldt. Outside of Astbury and Lynch there will either be outsized or inexperienced KPPs.

looking at our draw and assuming jack is out for the best case 4 weeks, that means that by the time he gets back we are probably 2-4 and the season is gone by then because that will rule out top 4 at least.

The Tigers have a tough first 6 games, well tough last 5 of the first 6.

1-1 and have GWS & Port away, Sydney at home but at Marvel then Melbourne at the MCG. None of those games are in the book. Gets a bit easier after the buy with 8/9 in Melbourne and the last 7 in a row at the MCG but the timing of having Rance and Riewoldt both out stinks.

The Tigers can win without Rance but I can't see them being a threat unless they make the top 4 and have an MCG prelim so will more than likely be relying on other Melbourne teams being at the pointy end of the ladder.

We adapted last year after being smashed by Adelaide early,too early to write off everyone’s grand final yet.
We cant play worse, as the Americans say, there is plenty of upside.

I haven't seen evidence of adapting our style in the face of being the hunted. In 2017 we benefited from not being taken seriously and catching oppo off guard. Current situation is quite different.

I though pies supporters were meant to be the dumb ones?? ;)

Look at my earlier post- you have one of the shortest injury lists and pies had arguably more talent out
look at WCE- no Gaff, Shepard or NicNat and won flag- no excuses

It's not how long the injury list is that matters, as much as the quality of player that is out.

The best defender in the game, and a top three forward just went out of our side.

We played horrible last night, don't get me wrong, but them two are bigger injuries than what Nicnat, Gaff and Sheppard were. Their simply just better players.

It's not how long the injury list is that matters, as much as the quality of player that is out.

The best defender in the game, and a top three forward just went out of our side.

We played horrible last night, don't get me wrong, but them two are bigger injuries than what Nicnat, Gaff and Sheppard were. Their simply just better players.
West Coast won a grand final with Nicnat, Gaff and Sheppard out. Mcgovern was also injured during the grand final.

Richmond crumbled to pieces in round 2 with Rance out and a slightly injured JR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have been absolutely spoiled in terms of an injury-free run. Probably the best injury run of any side for the last 3 years.

Riewoldt out for a month is not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Rance is certainly not the best defender in the game 1-on-1 which is what the 6-6-6 rule was going to create more of.

Your injury list is still pretty favourable compared to some others.

I think even forgetting whether the game plan has been found out, coaches have found a tactical way to better it etc....

And forgetting about the injuries.

The Richmond game plan reminds me of the Ross Lyon one, the manic unbelivable pressure gamestyle. You have to do more and work harder to beat the opposition.

And that's okay, for a while. But then you find the team, over a number of years, are exhausted, gone to the well one too many times. Cooked and nothing left to give.

It's not a long term sustainable game plan.

It's why Clarkson has no peer in the coaching world.

Tigers past 3 games have shown that they are a shadow of the team that dominated 2017 and most of 2018

Prelim- they were absolutely destroyed- anyone who had been paying close attention to the Tigers games, wouldn't have seen this as too big a surprise- they had been unimpressive for the majority in the weeks leading into this.

Round 1- Came out firing as expected as it was first chance to atone for pantsing in prelim- given a dream run form umps and shot to 5 goal lead. Young blues team absolutely dominated q 2 and 3, before running out of legs.

Last night- they were exposed as soft and lacking depth. Confidence has gone, a couple of key injuries and their soft underbelly and lack of depth/class on show for all to see. That was a 15 goal shellacking wrapped up in a 7 goal loss. Pies absolutely destroyed them.

With Jack Reiwoldt looking likely to have done something to his wrist and Tigers having a one paced midfield (apart from Edwards), an ordinary backline and a few younguns who look lost without the protection of the big boys - I predict Tigers will not make the 8.

It's a very tight comp and I fear the rest of the comp has figured out the Tigers and most have better lists.

Thoughts?
tenor-3.gif

Well we won the flag without all 3 of them. Tigers have so far beaten Carlton without Rance and lost to Collingwood without Rance and Riewoldt and the excuses are flowing. Jack Darling was the form player in the game let alone just forwards then got injured and missed 5 weeks. Josh Kennedy missed the first 3, then a couple coinciding with Darling being out, then the last 5 leading into finals. Naitanui missed the last 6 then finals, Gaff missed the last 3 then finals, Sheppard injuring during the QF. 16-6, 3/3 in finals, no excuses.

The best defender in the game took a contested mark, played on and set up the play that won the Grand Final. Rance was so effective in the prelim that Mason Cox and Jordan De Goey took 10 contested marks between them, 8 marks inside 50 and kicked 7.3. That same Collingwood team that valiantly contested the GF was missing Dunn, Moore, Scharenberg and Reid. They cobbled together a defence to go up against the best performed key forward pairing in the comp with Jeremy Howe, Tom Langdon and Tyson Goldsack coming in off 0 H&A games for the year filling the key posts.

Well we won the flag without all 3 of them. Tigers have so far beaten Carlton without Rance and lost to Collingwood without Rance and Riewoldt and the excuses are flowing. Jack Darling was the form player in the game let alone just forwards then got injured and missed 5 weeks. Josh Kennedy missed the first 3, then a couple coinciding with Darling being out, then the last 5 leading into finals. Naitanui missed the last 6 then finals, Gaff missed the last 3 then finals, Sheppard injuring during the QF. 16-6, 3/3 in finals, no excuses.

The best defender in the game took a contested mark, played on and set up the play that won the Grand Final. Rance was so effective in the prelim that Mason Cox and Jordan De Goey took 10 contested marks between them, 8 marks inside 50 and kicked 7.3. That same Collingwood team that valiantly contested the GF was missing Dunn, Moore, Scharenberg and Reid. They cobbled together a defence to go up against the best performed key forward pairing in the comp with Jeremy Howe, Tom Langdon and Tyson Goldsack coming in off 0 H&A games for the year filling the key posts.
Rub it in why don't you!

What Clarkson and Hawthorn did was incredible. Just so hard to stay at the top for more than a couple of years. Maybe Richmond have had their 2 years and it is time for someone else.

The way 2017/18 panned out reminds me a bit of Freo in 2013/15, minus our choke in the GF. Manic effort-based game style that relies on a handful of superstars and a lot of role players with not much pure talent. I doubt they'll drop off a cliff like we did in 2016, but there are some warning signs.

Rub it in why don't you!

Just pointing out the reality of the AFL. GWS were clinical last week. No Kelly, no Ward, no worries. I've also seen my own team written off (No Naitanui, no Eagles. No Gaff, definitely no Eagles. Etc.) due to key players going out and at 1-1 the canvas is still pretty bare to stick it up the doubters.

Also I suggest having a read over the 2018 rolling All Australian thread to see just how many Richmond defenders were nominated for prospective AA spots. Aren't Astbury, Grimes, Vlasutin, Short, Grigg, Broad, Houli etc. all supposed to be stars?

What Clarkson and Hawthorn did was incredible. Just so hard to stay at the top for more than a couple of years. Maybe Richmond have had their 2 years and it is time for someone else.

The way 2017/18 panned out reminds me a bit of Freo in 2013/15, minus our choke in the GF. Manic effort-based game style that relies on a handful of superstars and a lot of role players with not much pure talent. I doubt they'll drop off a cliff like we did in 2016, but there are some warning signs.
Comparisons with Lyon are interesting. Tiges need more variation in playing style. Lyon seems to be doing exactly that.

Just pointing out the reality of the AFL. GWS were clinical last week. No Kelly, no Ward, no worries. I've also seen my own team written off (No Naitanui, no Eagles. No Gaff, definitely no Eagles. Etc.) due to key players going out and at 1-1 the canvas is still pretty bare to stick it up the doubters.

Also I suggest having a read over the 2018 rolling All Australian thread to see just how many Richmond defenders were nominated for prospective AA spots. Aren't Astbury, Grimes, Vlasutin, Short, Grigg, Broad, Houli etc. all supposed to be stars?
Largely agree.
Its just a tad painful.

Tigers are absurdly overrated last year.

Played great footy in the latter half of 2017 then got Geelong (tears free of charge) at the MCG, GWS at the MCG then Adelaide at the MCG. Wouldn't have even made the GF if they had to play a final in Adelaide or Sydney.

Still very much in the mix to make the top 4 again but I think people have realised the hype wasn't justified.

It is one of the few times that there's a legit argument about Vic media bias.

Largely agree.
Its just a tad painful.

Not as painful as 35 years of being s**t.

My team might fall in a giant hole this season and that will suck, but I've seen us win 4 flags. Fans of the Dees and Saints haven't. Even the Dockers have been going for 25 years now and won nada. Good with the bad and all that.

thats what i was saying to everyone who would listen before the season. we've had 2 years at the top (finishing 3rd and 1st) which is all most teams manage, and pinched a flag out of it. we arent a geelong/hawks/sydney of the last decade where they raffled the flag between them, we are with the freo/saints/pies of that era. we've had our 2 years of fun and now we are irrelevant again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back