AFLW 2019 AFLW Awards (League and Club B&Fs, AA team, Rising Star etc.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel free to post any news or opinions about the various trophies, plaques and certificates that get handed out like candy at Halloween.

To get things started, here's how some of the awards are already tracking:

Rising Star Nominees
R1: Nina Morrison (Geelong)
R1: Alyce Parker (GWS)
R2: Madison Prespakis (Carlton)
R2: Sabreena Duffy (Fremantle)
R3: Eden Zanker (Melbourne)
R3: Courteney Munn (North Melbourne)
R4: Danielle Ponter (Adelaide)
R4: Sarah Dargan (Collingwood)
R5: Chloe Scheer (Adelaide)
R5: Olivia Purcell (Geelong)
R6: Jacqui Yorston (Brisbane)
R6: Georgia Gee (Carlton)
Zanker was probably the biggest head-scratcher there. I do believe she is a star on the rise but gee-wiz she had two absolute face-palming clangers that game while fellow Demon Hanks (my RS winner prediction, full disclosure) hasn't missed a trick. Never mind, can't see how Prespakis doesn't have the whole thing already sewn up.

AFLCA Player of the Year - Leaderboard after Round 6
43 Erin Phillips
36 Kiara Bowers
32 Karen Paxman
30 Ebony Marinoff
29 Dana Hooker
28 Madison Prespakis
25 Monique Conti
24 Ally Anderson
24 Jaimee Lambert
23 Ellie Blackburn
21 Jenna Bruton
21 Emma Kearney
19 Jasmine Garner
18 Brianna Davey
18 Jess Duffin
18 Kerryn Harrington
18 Lauren Pearce
17 Emily Bates
17 Nat Exon
16 Chelsea Randall
(Randall and Kearney were 2018 joint-winners on 42 votes, for a bit of context)

Goal of the Year contenders? Mileage may vary, there's been some great pure speedrun goals (Sharp, Exon, Newman) but I tend to go for ones more like this:

Deciding on Mark of the Year is shaping up as a tougher ask. Been a few huge hangs that didn't quite get completed, nothing else is sticking out in my memory though.

I've also had a crack at a Rolling All-Australian team. It may seem silly to worry about this stuff for a 7-game season, but idk, still want to see fair recognition get dished out reasonably accurately!

Backline: Gabriella Pound (Carl) for mine has been the best speedy small defender to date in a fairly shallow field, Lauren Spark (WB) had a shocker in R3 and needs more matches like in R1 to hold on to this spot

Half-backs: Jess Duffin (NM), Kate Lutkins (Bris) and Meg McDonald (Geel) are in great form and could probably only miss out from this point if injury or suspension strikes

Centreline: Nat Exon (Bris) hasn’t massively racked up the disposals but has cut teams up with her pace and cleanness, Dana Hooker (Frem) for now in the toughest position competition-wise and it may very likely change by the week, Rebecca Beeson (GWS) hasn’t put a foot wrong in a most-improved calibre season

Half-forwards: Erin Phillips (Adel), Ebony Antonio (Frem) and Jasmine Garner (NM) have all been terrific at winning the hard ball and then setting up team mates around them

Forward-line: Jess Wuetschner (Bris) is still the best at capitalising on the faintest of opportunities, and Aliesha Newman (Melb) has gone from doing one sensational thing per game to 4 or 5 or 6 etc.

Followers: Lauren Pearce (Melb) is the best user of the ball among top hit-out accumulators, Ebony Marinoff (Adel) has addressed serious issues with her decision-making, and Jenna Bruton (NM) has been as good in tight spaces as her height would suggest but is also running out games superbly

Interchange: Emma King (NM) has been pivotal in matches with her ability to go forward and kick goals, Yvonne Bonner (GWS) has been so surprising and just great to watch, Anne Hatchard (Adel) is a bit too handball-happy but is getting the job done through sheer volume, Madison Prespakis (Carl) is putting the team on her back as an 18yo with inside and outside midfield contributions, and Kiara Bowers (Frem) has been closer to good than great but I try to get the number of reps to reflect the ladder(s)

Players who should also definitely be in the frame:
Thompson & J. Foley (Adel)
Anderson & Bates (Bris)
Davey & Downie (Carl)
Lambert (Coll)
Houghton (Frem)
Eva (GWS)
Cordner, Paxman & O’Dea (Melb)
Kearney & Stanton (NM)
Blackburn (WB)

Players who are probably in the frame but I think shouldn’t be (at least not yet):
Adel: Randall - should force her way in if she doesn't miss another game
Bris: Frederick-Traub - terrific in R1, fell off after HT in Perth but showed encouraging signs on the weekend, will get in if she finishes off the season with a massive three-week burst like last year
Carl: Harrington because I’m set on Pound atm and didn’t want two Blues defenders, Harris made the team the first two times on the back of a single standout performance so lock her in again
Coll: Brazill - kicking still a big problem, I don’t think AA honours should go to players with glaring flaws in crucial parts of their game (said the same of Perkins in 2017)
Frem: Donnellan - needs to be getting way more of the footy for the kind of role she fills
Geel: McMahon & Boyd - they've been good but I've got a Cat Quota of one for now
GWS: Gum - looking slower than last year but might be starting to heat up
Melb: Mithen - fine but not dominant
NM: Ashmore - made the AA squad in 2017 while on a top-of-ladder team with lesser numbers, only really played one good game this year
WB: Conti - disappointed with her ball use so far

Last edited:
Really good effort

I have liked the way Houghton has attacked the ball in the air this year. Could sneak into AA selection with another big week

Geelong's Olivia Purcell and Adelaide's Chloe Scheer pick up the rising star nominations this week.

Coach votes from the weekend:

BRISBANE v GEELONG
10 Kate Darby (GEEL)
7 Olivia Purcell (GEEL)
7 Richelle Cranston (GEEL)
3 Maddy McMahon (GEEL)
3 Emily Bates (BL)

CARLTON v COLLINGWOOD
10 Brianna Davey (CARL)
6 Sarah Rowe (COLL)
6 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
3 Kerryn Harrington (CARL)
3 Madison Prespakis (CARL)
2 Gabriella Pound (CARL)

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY v MELBOURNE
10 Maddison Gay (MELB)
8 Tegan Cunningham (MELB)
3 Karen Paxman (MELB)
3 Chantel Emonson (MELB)
2 Harriet Cordner (MELB)
2 Kate Hore (MELB)
1 Alicia Eva (GWS)
1 Cora Staunton (GWS)

NORTH MELBOURNE v ADELAIDE
9 Chelsea Randall (ADEL)
7 Erin Phillips (ADEL)
5 Emma Kearney (NMFC)
3 Jess Duffin (NMFC)
3 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
3 Jessica Foley (ADEL)

FREMANTLE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
10 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
8 Dana Hooker (FRE)
6 Monique Conti (WB)
2 Katie Brennan (WB)
2 Kirsty Lamb (WB)
1 Stephanie Cain (FRE)
1 Kellie Gibson (FRE)

Updated leaderboard in OP.

A few changes in bold to my rolling All-Australian team.
B: Spark (just holding on) and Pound
HB: Duffin, McDonald (still the lone Cat but that will change real quick if Darby keeps up her current form) and Lutkins (needs a big week to stay in the starting 16)
C: Exon, Hooker and Beeson
HF: Garner, Antonio and Phillips
F: Newman and Thompson (Wuetschner out after 1 goal in 3 games)
R: Pearce, Marinoff (in the hot seat, struggled with disposal on the weekend) and Bowers (comes off the bench, Bruton falls out after a quiet couple of games)
Int: Hatchard, King, Prespakis, Houghton (edging out Bonner, although she will in turn be leapfrogged if Kellie Gibson's trajectory continues) and Kearney (included after what I think was her best game of the season)

Chelsea Randall and Brianna Davey are banging down the door. Katie Brennan and Tegan Cunningham (who I thought was unlucky to miss out last year) should also be added to the Monitor Closely list.

how's your 'cat quota' looking now Teen Wolf ?

with the comp's best defense after 5 rounds, Meg McDonald's fellow back Maddy McMahon must be worth a look.
Winning helps, if they get to 4-3 then surely at least two players have to make it by default (Melbourne had four picked last year with that record, although less teams were in the comp) and you'd think one of the mids or forwards will be a strong shout too.

Brisbane's Jacqui Yorston and Carlton's Georgia Gee get the Rising Star nominations for Round 6.

Votes for the AFLCA award, only Phillips or Bowers can win it with one round left.

GEELONG v FREMANTLE
10 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
7 Dana Hooker (FRE)
6 Hayley Miller (FRE)
5 Gemma Houghton (FRE)
1 Stephanie Cain (FRE)
1 Maddy McMahon (GEEL)

COLLINGWOOD v NORTH MELBOURNE
7 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
7 Jenna Bruton (NMFC)
5 Brittany Bonnici (COLL)
4 Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
4 Jamie Stanton (NMFC)
2 Sophie Abbatangelo (NMFC)
1 Kate Gillespie-Jones (NMFC)

WESTERN BULLDOGS v MELBOURNE
10 Karen Paxman (MELB)
6 Monique Conti (WB)
5 Tegan Cunningham (MELB)
4 Ellie Blackburn (WB)
3 Meg Downie (MELB)
1 Hannah Scott (WB)
1 Elise O'Dea (MELB)

ADELAIDE v GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
10 Erin Phillips (ADEL)
8 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
3 Justine Mules (ADEL)
3 Chelsea Randall (ADEL)
2 Stevie-Lee Thompson (ADEL)
2 Deni Varnhagen (ADEL)
1 Alicia Eva (GWS)
1 Jessica Foley (ADEL)

CARLTON v BRISBANE
10 Madison Prespakis (CARL)
5 Kate Lutkins (BL)
4 Brooke Walker (CARL)
3 Nat Exon (BL)
3 Tayla Harris (CARL)
2 Nicola Stevens (CARL)
2 Emily Bates (BL)
1 Brianna Davey (CARL)

On to Goal of the Year, wouldn't mind seeing this one as a candidate:

Reminded me a bit of the Farmer-Lyon-Farmer combination at Waverley those years ago, or perhaps more like Ben Cousins' goal at KP when it was really Peter Matera's ingenuity setting it up.

My rolling AA team, again with changes in bold.
B: Pound, McMahon
HB: Duffin, Randall, Lutkins
C: Exon, Hooker, Marinoff
HF: Phillips, Antonio, Garner
F: Thompson, Cunningham
R: Pearce, Hatchard, Bowers
Int: Prespakis, Bruton, Paxman, Blackburn, Houghton

I've replaced Meg McDonald with her partner in crime Maddy McMahon, whose last few weeks have really put me in a spin.

McMahonSpin.gif

Chelsea Randall is playing career-best footy largely attributable to improved kicking, Lauren Spark makes way after another game with a few too many sloppy and untimely errors.

Tegan Cunningham takes the place of team mate Aliesha Newman.

Likewise Jenna Bruton back in for Emma Kearney, a see-sawing contest there.

Rebecca Beeson drops out after two less-conspicuous games, I think Alicia Eva is now putting together a better season while Ellie Brush might have the best shot of all Giants to make the team at this point.

Emma King also drops out for similar reasons, and I reckon whichever one of her and Houghton has the better game on Saturday will clinch that spot for me.

Karen Paxman deservedly charges into the team, hitting the scoreboard never hurts. Ellie Blackburn a narrow inclusion after another good game (Kirsty Lamb and Monique Conti also played well again, but Blackburn's whole game against Geelong and her few moments of brilliance against Adelaide is probably the biggest reason why the Dogs aren't winless).

Couple other things: Ebony Antonio cooled off in the last fortnight but no other forward has really demanded selection. And two from a team (Brisbane) that is at best going to finish the H&A at 3-4 is probably overs, however both Kate Lutkins and Nat Exon had top notch performances on Sunday so another round is required to sort that out.

After careful consideration, the only way to select a team I'm somewhat comfortable with... is by cheating. But I have some precedence on my side.

With all the talk about conferences and unequal draws etc, ultimately it probably is true that a team's percentage is as good an indicator of their performance throughout the season as any other measurement. So among the clubs that ended up with a % in the 60-80 range, I decided to pick one player each in my preferred team. Then I allocated two selections to Carlton, three to Melbourne and North, four to Fremantle and five to Adelaide.

Problem is that equals 22, when it should be 21 to reflect actual gameday lineups. But then I remembered the AA committee picked a team of 22 in 2017 for no reason, therein lies all the motive I need to squeeze in the likes of Jaimee Lambert (she's just too good to miss out yet again dammit, but I'm pretty sure she will).

So here they are, my final humble recommendations for 2019:
AFLW_2019_MyAASelections_zpso5lgljcf.png

Couldn't manage to include Wuetschner and Bates in the 40 nor Exon in the 22, even though I would've liked to. Brisbane's season fortified my choice of AA captaincy last year in SFT. Dominant key forwards--when fit and in form--capable of also wandering up the ground and acting as playmakers can transform teams and will always be the rarest and most influential kind of footballer in any era or league. I think Bowers will be named Vice-Captain this year, however.

And while I'm on the topic of predictions:
  • Conti in the team over Blackburn
  • Harris and Davey on the bench at least
  • Anderson to make the team, no other Brisbane player
  • Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Dea make it while Cunningham misses out
  • McDonald will make the team, just not sure if it will be alongside or at the expense of the other Geelong Macca. Purcell in the squad of 40, I reckon.
  • Thinking Parker will take the spot of fellow Giant in Brush
  • A swag of defenders (Allan, Harrington, Cordner, Spark) to make the squad or better, but I don't think any of them use the ball well enough. Pretty important factor since there are others who do have a quality offensive string to their bow while also being just as good at shutting down opponents. I gave into Brazill a little bit because of her run-and-carry.
  • As I said in the R7 thread, not sure about how the Dockers are being received beyond their top 4. I hope the selectors don't go overboard (like they usually do) and include way too many players who are frankly just riding the right bus. For example Hayley Miller, or Adelaide's Eloise Jones, do one or two flash things per game and then are kind of a trainwreck the rest of the time.

Last edited:
https://womens.afl/news/17396/2019-aflw-all-australian-squad-revealed-who-made-the-cut-
2019 Virgin Australia AFL Women's All Australian squad
Adelaide
: Chelsea Randall, Jess Foley, Marijana Rajcic, Ebony Marinoff, Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Erin Phillips, Stevie-Lee Thompson, Eloise Jones

Brisbane: Ally Anderson, Nat Exon, Kate Lutkins, Jess Wuetschner

Carlton: Kerryn Harrington, Gabbie Pound, Maddie Prespakis, Brianna Davey

Collingwood: Ash Brazill, Jaimee Lambert

Fremantle: Kiara Bowers, Kellie Gibson, Sabreena Duffy, Ebony Antonio, Gemma Houghton, Dana Hooker

Geelong: Meg McDonald, Maddy McMahon

Greater Western Sydney: Alyce Parker, Rebecca Beeson

Melbourne: Tegan Cunningham, Lauren Pearce, Elise O’Dea, Karen Paxman

North Melbourne: Emma King, Jasmine Garner, Emma Kearney, Jenna Bruton, Jess Duffin

Western Bulldogs: Ellie Blackburn, Monique Conti
Well they did the predictable load-up-on-the-top-2-teams thing again. I'm going to have to re-assign my Most Underrated Player status after Rajcic's inclusion, probably to the fellow soccer convert at GWS who didn't get in.

The selection panel might've been high on Marijana, and it seemed their judgment was really affected once they reached the forward-line. Gibson or Duffy over Sharp, not worth fighting, but picking two of those three is just overkill.

And I used Eloise Jones in the previous post as a low-hanging example, didn't think they'd go quite that far. Harris, who missed out for a change, would've actually been a better choice--both players effectively lost a game for their team with repeated howlers in front of goal, but at least Tayla has to deal with the opposition's best defender sometimes.

The other whacked-out forward naming would have to be Wuetschner, which brought Brisbane's representation up to 4 while all other teams in that 60-80 percentage bracket had two each. If any player-club combo deserved to upset the overall balance it would've been Brennan and the Bulldogs.

Truth is I wouldn't be completely happy unless my preferred squad got through (it ended up at 32 from 40), but Eva missing out altogether is downright incompetence. Worse than Tyla Hanks not even getting a Rising Star nomination!

Last edited:
Nice segue there, Teen Wolf.

https://womens.afl/news/17340
COLLINGWOOD'S Jordyn Allen and Greater Western Sydney's Haneen Zreika are the final nominees for the 2019 NAB AFL Women's Rising Star award.

Three players were nominated after it was guaranteed they'd miss at least two games (three in Yorston's case), I don't want to rain on anybody's parade too much but those kind of selections don't generate a lot of suspense for the overall award.

And we mustn't forget about the Coaches' Award, despite it being perhaps even more of a procession given how it was situated coming into the final round.

https://womens.afl/news/17373/superstar-crow-named-aflw-coaches-champion-player
ADELAIDE superstar onballer Erin Phillips polled eight votes in round seven to win the 2019 Lucky Chicken Eggs AFL Coaches Association AFLW Champion Player of the Year with 51 votes...

Round 7 votes

Western Bulldogs vs Carlton
9 Brianna Davey (Carl)
9 Monique Conti (WB)
6 Ellie Blackburn (WB)
2 Brooke Walker (Carl)
2 Madison Prespakis (Carl)
1 Kerryn Harrington (Carl)
1 Nicola Stevens (Carl)

Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions
9 Sarah D'Arcy (Coll)
9 Ashleigh Brazill (Coll)
6 Jacqui Yorston (BL)
3 Stephanie Chiocci (Coll)
2 Lauren Arnell (BL)
1 Ally Anderson (BL)

Fremantle vs North Melbourne
10 Kiara Bowers (Frem)
7 Jenna Bruton (NM)
6 Emma Kearney (NM)
4 Melissa Caulfield (Frem)
2 Ebony Antonio (Frem)
1 Hayley Miller (Frem)

Melbourne vs Adelaide
10 Jessica Foley (Adel)
8 Erin Phillips (Adel)
5 Ebony Marinoff (Adel)
3 Courtney Cramey (Adel)
2 Eloise Jones (Adel)
1 Marijana Rajcic (Adel)
1 Chloe Scheer (Adel)

Greater Western Sydney vs Geelong
9 Alicia Eva (GWS)
9 Alyce Parker (GWS)
6 Haneen Zreika (GWS)
4 Cora Staunton (GWS)
1 Elle Bennetts (GWS)
1 Christina Bernardi (GWS)

FINAL LEADERBOARD
51 Erin Phillips (Adel)

46 Kiara Bowers (Frem)
35 Ebony Marinoff (Adel)
34 Monique Conti (WB)
32 Karen Paxman (Melb)
30 Madison Prespakis (Carl)
29 Ellie Blackburn (WB)
29 Dana Hooker (Frem)
28 Jenna Bruton (NM)
27 Brianna Davey (Carl)
27 Emma Kearney (NM)

Nominees for Mark of the Year underwhelming unfortunately. Harris' mark over Gooch on the weekend was better, the Aaron Edwards rule strikes again. And then there was her Almost MOTY in round 1 which I'm still ruing:

Carn ump, held it about as convincingly as Ablett Sr's specky over Gary Pert! AFL should just pay it retroactively since I hear they're into altering stats after the fact now. Btw the best actual mark I've seen any woman take this year was Kate Hore on the wing going back with the flight in a practice match at Casey Fields, not sure if there's any vision of it floating around.

Good and pretty-much expected Goal of the Year candidates, perhaps the most surprising thing is four options in both categories. McLeod's the best imo.

Summary of the AFLPA awards dished out yesterday:

AFLW Players’ MVP, proudly presented by Gloria Jean’s
  • Erin Phillips, Adelaide Crows — 143
  • Kiara Bowers, Fremantle Dockers — 107
  • Ashleigh Brazill, Collingwood Magpies — 85

Most Courageous, proudly presented by The Line
  • Chelsea Randall, Adelaide Crows — 105
  • Kiara Bowers, Fremantle Dockers — 84
  • Brianna Davey, Carlton Blues — 35

Best Captain, proudly presented by KPMG
  • Brianna Davey, Carlton Blues — 53
  • Erin Phillips, Adelaide Crows — 52
  • Chelsea Randall, Adelaide Crows — 45

Best First Year Player Award, proudly presented by MSC Signs
  • Madison Prespakis, Carlton Blues — 149
  • Alyce Parker, GWS Giants — 35
  • Sabreena Duffy, Fremantle Dockers — 26

And the votes for the Grand Final BOG:

Josh Vanderloo (chair)
3 Hatchard
2 Phillips
1 Randall

Liz Walsh
3 J. Foley
2 Hatchard
1 Phillips

Mark Soderstrom
3 Hatchard
2 Phillips
1 J. Foley

Jo Wotton
3 Phillips
2 Randall
1 Hatchard

Brett Munro
3 Phillips
2 Davey
1 Hatchard

Phillips – 3, 3, 2, 2, 1 (11)
Hatchard – 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 (10)
J. Foley – 3, 1 (4)
Randall – 2, 1 (3)
Davey – 2 (2)

I saw it the same as Liz, maybe we're cold-hearted. Although I don't hate that Phillips got it, pick an Adelaide player's name out of a hat and you could make a decent argument.

But the way it tallied up is unsatisfying... Brett Munro have a spell mate, no Carlton player deserved a vote, let alone TWO! That boneheaded decision effectively snatched the medal off Hatchard's neck since Vanderloo had her for 3.

Anyway. "W Awards" tonight.

In addition to the League B&F count, the All-Australian selections, Goal and Mark of the year, and Rising Star will be announced/presented.

I saw it the same as Liz, maybe we're cold-hearted. Although I don't hate that Phillips got it, pick an Adelaide player's name out of a hat and you could make a decent argument.

Before the annoucement I was kinda hoping Phillips wouldn't get it, only because the Crows were very even with their spread of contributors and all of Hatchard, Randall, Foley to a certain extent Ponter had a legit claim to it. But at the same time that eveness was partly the reason why Phillips still got the gong, I guess.

Just on Ponter, I know Prespakis has the rookie of the year sewn up, for good reason, but Ponter managed 28 kicks this season and kicked 13.1 - Outrageous conversion rate - and that's after playing her first two games in defense!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anybody know the full list of players from each club who were up for the AFLPA MVP award? I’ve looked all over and can only find what’s listed here. Thanks in advance.

Does anybody know the full list of players from each club who were up for the AFLPA MVP award? I’ve looked all over and can only find what’s listed here. Thanks in advance.
Good request, I didn't think to look.

ADELAIDE
MVP: Anne Hatchard, Erin Phillips, Jessica Foley, Ebony Marinoff, Stevie-Lee Thompson
Captain: Chelsea Randall, Erin Phillips
Most Courageous: Chelsea Randall
Best First-Year: Jessica Foley

BRISBANE
MVP: Alexandra Anderson, Nat Exon, Kate Lutkins
Captain: Leah Kaslar
Most Courageous: Shannon Campbell
Best First-Year: Jacqui Yorston

CARLTON
MVP: Brianna Davey, Kerryn Harrington, Madison Prespakis
Captain: Brianna Davey
Most Courageous: Brianna Davey
Best First-Year: Madison Prespakis

COLLINGWOOD
MVP: Ashleigh Brazill, Jaimee Lambert, Sarah D’Arcy
Captain: Steph Chiocci
Most Courageous: Jaimee Lambert
Best First-Year: Jordyn Allen

FREMANTLE
MVP: Dana Hooker, Kiara Bowers, Stephanie Cain
Captain: Kara Donnellan
Most Courageous: Kiara Bowers
Best First-Year: Sabreena Duffy

GEELONG
MVP: Maddy McMahon, Meghan McDonald, Olivia Purcell
Captain: Mel Hickey
Most Courageous: Renee Garing
Best First-Year: Olivia Purcell

GWS GIANTS
MVP: Alicia Eva, Alyce Parker, Ellie Brush
Captain: Amanda Farrugia
Most Courageous: Ellie Brush
Best First-Year: Alyce Parker

MELBOURNE
MVP: Elise O’Dea, Karen Paxman, Lauren Pearce
Captain: Elise O’Dea, Shelley Scott
Most Courageous: Shelley Scott
Best First-Year: Chantel Emonson

NORTH MELBOURNE TASMANIAN KANGAROOS
MVP: Emma Kearney, Emma King, Jenna Bruton, Jess Duffin
Captain: Emma Kearney
Most Courageous: Brittany Gibson
Best First-Year: Ashleigh Riddell

WESTERN BULLDOGS
MVP: Ellie Blackburn, Kirsty Lamb, Monique Conti
Captain: Katie Brennan, Ellie Blackburn
Most Courageous: Kirsty Lamb
Best First-Year: Aisling McCarthy

Crows and Kangas with extra nominees because they had tied votes.

In case tweets don't load properly, summary so far...

Leading Goal-kicker: Stevie-Lee Thompson (Adelaide)
Goal of the Year: Ashley Sharp (Fremantle)
Mark of the Year: Tayla Harris (Carlton)

All Australian team
B: Ash Brazill (Collingwood), Meg McDonald (Geelong)
HB: Kerryn Harrington (Carlton), Chelsea Randall (Adelaide), Jess Duffin (North Melbourne)
C: Karen Paxman (Melbourne), Kiara Bowers (Fremantle), Emma Kearney (North Melbourne)
HF: Monique Conti (Western Bulldogs), Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne), Erin Phillips (Adelaide)
F: Stevie-Lee Thompson (Adelaide), Gemma Houghton (Fremantle)
R: Lauren Pearce (Melbourne), Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide), Madison Prespakis (Carlton)
I: Emma King (North Melbourne), Gabriella Pound (Carlton), Ally Anderson (Brisbane), Anne Hatchard (Adelaide), Dana Hooker (Fremantle)

Think I've made it pretty clear on who I think should and shouldn't have been picked, but I will say Conti named as a HFF in a 5-player forward line is a bigger cheat than my naming of an extra bench member. And Fremantle with just 3 selected is simply inexcusa-bull.

Also, no captain or vice-captain named for the AA team as far as I've seen? Not that anybody will really miss it, just seems odd.

Also, no captain or vice-captain named for the AA team as far as I've seen? Not that anybody will really miss it, just seems odd.

Phillips captain Randall vice captain.

Prespakis gets the rising star, we all knew it would happen.

Rising star winner gets a $20k folio which is a quarter more than their AFLW salary.

Last edited:

No huge surprise there! Quite a moving and rather melancholic(?) acceptance speech by Erin.

AFLW umpires lived up to their reputation on a few notable occasions. Cora Staunton getting the full three votes in Round 1 raised my eyebrows, for example.

Screenshots of the League B&F and Rising Star leaderboards:

Screenshot_2019-04-02-21-25-32-43_zps2brct9of.png

Phillips and Kearney won in previous years with 14 votes fyi.

Screenshot_2019-04-02-21-01-39-56_zpsm8wjwiza.png

How come none of them have dates? Are they not allowed?
'90s Howard Stern Jokes thread is thataway matey (I should know, as a long-time fan). And the AFLW website and twitter account is in the other direction, for anybody who actually wishes to see "Coral Carpet" photos of players with their partners.

No huge surprise there! Quite a moving and rather melancholic(?) acceptance speech by Erin.

AFLW umpires lived up to their reputation on a few notable occasions. Cora Staunton getting the full three votes in Round 1 raised my eyebrows, for example.

Screenshots of the League B&F and Rising Star leaderboards:

Screenshot_2019-04-02-21-25-32-43_zps2brct9of.png

Phillips and Kearney won in previous years with 14 votes fyi.

Screenshot_2019-04-02-21-01-39-56_zpsm8wjwiza.png

'90s Howard Stern Jokes thread is thataway matey (I should know, as a long-time fan). And the AFLW website and twitter account is in the other direction, for anybody who actually wishes to see "Coral Carpet" photos of players with their partners.

I'm actually serious....I was watching and I couldn't see many males so I wondered either a) they're not allowed to invite or b) they almost all prefer females or c) they're almost all single

Which is it?

Good request, I didn't think to look.

ADELAIDE
MVP: Anne Hatchard, Erin Phillips, Jessica Foley, Ebony Marinoff, Stevie-Lee Thompson
Captain: Chelsea Randall, Erin Phillips
Most Courageous: Chelsea Randall
Best First-Year: Jessica Foley

BRISBANE
MVP: Alexandra Anderson, Nat Exon, Kate Lutkins
Captain: Leah Kaslar
Most Courageous: Shannon Campbell
Best First-Year: Jacqui Yorston

CARLTON
MVP: Brianna Davey, Kerryn Harrington, Madison Prespakis
Captain: Brianna Davey
Most Courageous: Brianna Davey
Best First-Year: Madison Prespakis

COLLINGWOOD
MVP: Ashleigh Brazill, Jaimee Lambert, Sarah D’Arcy
Captain: Steph Chiocci
Most Courageous: Jaimee Lambert
Best First-Year: Jordyn Allen

FREMANTLE
MVP: Dana Hooker, Kiara Bowers, Stephanie Cain
Captain: Kara Donnellan
Most Courageous: Kiara Bowers
Best First-Year: Sabreena Duffy

GEELONG
MVP: Maddy McMahon, Meghan McDonald, Olivia Purcell
Captain: Mel Hickey
Most Courageous: Renee Garing
Best First-Year: Olivia Purcell

GWS GIANTS
MVP: Alicia Eva, Alyce Parker, Ellie Brush
Captain: Amanda Farrugia
Most Courageous: Ellie Brush
Best First-Year: Alyce Parker

MELBOURNE
MVP: Elise O’Dea, Karen Paxman, Lauren Pearce
Captain: Elise O’Dea, Shelley Scott
Most Courageous: Shelley Scott
Best First-Year: Chantel Emonson

NORTH MELBOURNE TASMANIAN KANGAROOS
MVP: Emma Kearney, Emma King, Jenna Bruton, Jess Duffin
Captain: Emma Kearney
Most Courageous: Brittany Gibson
Best First-Year: Ashleigh Riddell

WESTERN BULLDOGS
MVP: Ellie Blackburn, Kirsty Lamb, Monique Conti
Captain: Katie Brennan, Ellie Blackburn
Most Courageous: Kirsty Lamb
Best First-Year: Aisling McCarthy

Crows and Kangas with extra nominees because they had tied votes.

That’s awesome - thanks 👍🏽

I'm actually serious....I was watching and I couldn't see many males so I wondered either a) they're not allowed to invite or b) they almost all prefer females or c) they're almost all single

Which is it?

A very sizeable number start with an ‘L’ - end with ‘esbians’ if you need the obvious pointed out.

And before anyone makes an unnecessary nudge nudge wink wink or homophobic joke... so am I, so I respectfully ask that you avoid doing so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back