AFLW 2023 Awards season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quoting this from the predictions thread, back in August:
Another relevant "history says" stat: the B&F has been won every season by a player from a team finishing the H&A in the top 4. Keeping in mind that, although Bowers won it in 2021 with her team finishing 5th, it was alongside Davey whose team finished 3rd.

The only other time players not on a top 4 team have gone within 3 votes of the winner was Blackburn and Parker's runner-up placings in 2021 (the Bulldogs and GWS finishing 8th and 9th in that year's 14-team comp).

So it wouldn't be too incongruous if Blackburn won it this year while her team only finished 6th. Bowers winning it, by herself, while the Dockers finish 9th would be quite a departure from the norm though.

H&A finishing position of B&F winner's team
2017: Adelaide 2nd
2018: W. Bulldogs 1st
2019: Adelaide 1st
2020: Carlton 3rd
2021: Collingwood 3rd & Fremantle 5th
22S6: Brisbane 3rd
22S7: Brisbane 1st
Reminder that Richmond finished TENTH this year, so this is a crazy breaking of precedence victory from Monique Conti tonight.

Well Conti has this wrapped up now. Umpires really don't rate Garner don't they... Mind boggling. I get there's differences of opinion but they are so far off the mark it's crazy.

Laura Gardiner didn't poll very well, so at least the AFL website got that right. Molloy picked up 3 votes in the first game which I think was the earliest red flag of the count.

Who had a worse night tonight, the umpires voting on North games, or the work experience kid they put in charge of cueing up the team graphics?
Brihony Dawson relying on information provided by Kelli Underwood has to be a contender, too.

Nice to see someone bringing the chest beating AFL behaviour into the AFLW. So proud.
Maybe you missed this below… or was this the chest beating you were talking about?

Garner robbed

Statistically better than conti in all key metrics and played tougher teams

Coaches votes said it all too

Ah well let’s go get that flag instead

Whatever you might think Conti had a great season and has been one of the stars of the competition for years now. A very deserving winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rightio well I was hoping to get my hands on at least the top 10 before bed time, but top 5 will have to do for now.

2023 NAB AFLW Best and Fairest Trophy top 10

23 votes - Monique Conti (Rich)
16 - Amy McDonald (Geel)
16 - Chloe Molloy (Syd)
16 - Ashleigh Riddell (NM)
16 - Claudia Whitfort (GC)
15 - Bonnie Toogood (Ess)
14 - Ally Anderson (BL)
14 - Jasmine Garner (NM)
14 - Georgie Prespakis (Geel)
13 - Anne Hatchard (Adel)

Conti is the 2nd player to have won both the League B&F and Grand Final BOG medals.

Molloy became the third player to finish runner-up in the B&F on two occasions:

Last edited:
Conti winning was less controversial than Neale's win imo but what's more important is this - why the hell can't the league get our logo right?

We're playing in the GF on the weekend and they couldn't even even put our clubs logo up on the TV.

That was a farce.

Does anyone have the full final tally of votes?

Also, how come Claudia Whitfort finishes second in the W Medal yet doesn't get a look in for the All Australian team?

Indian cricket fans believed they were the best team on paper and deserved to win, they didn't deliver. The difference here is Garner delivered. Even opposition coaches saw it. Statistics supported the story but anyone watching saw her absolutely dominate those games.

Conti had a great season and she is a very good player, the problem is the season is only 10 games long and not everyone plays everyone else. In my opinion Marinoff is the best player in the league and she didn't even poll the most for the Crows. Conti just sticks out like dogs balls in a mid-tier team, thanks partly to injuries. There weren't a lot of other players taking votes off her. Conti ended with 23, Egan 5, Yassir 2, Brennan 2, Seymour 1 and Kelly 1.

Hatchard, Marinoff and Kelly got the same number of votes as the entire Richmond team and did it playing all the top tier teams, there was a far greater pool of top end players in those games that competed for votes. When the season is only 10 games long, it heavily distorts how many votes you can poll in a top team playing other top teams a lot more frequently.

It is what it is, I think these type of results will be prone to occurring whilst the season is short and the draw is the way it is unless there is some type of adjustment to the system to take into consideration the lopsided draws combined with short seasons... and I can't see the AFL doing so.

It is an individual award in a team game, so meh, who really cares?

Wondering if the following falls into the old cases of mistaken identity.

Round 7, Carlton v Collingwood: Emily Smith (4 disposals, 1 goal, 3 tackles) 1 vote. Smith wears no.33, while no.13 Grace Campbell had 17 disposals, 12 tackles, and 1 coach vote. Those two would be easier to confuse than no.3 Brianna Davey (21 disposals, 1 goal, 15 tackles, 8 coach votes) who also didn't poll in that match.

Round 9, Hawthorn v Port Adelaide: Tahlia Fellows (9 disposals, 5 tackles) 2 votes. Fellows wears no.8, while no.18 Tilly Lucas-Rodd was the leading possession-winner on the ground and got no votes (albeit didn't get any coach votes either).

Round 5, Collingwood v Essendon: Lauren Brazzale (9 disposals, 2 tackles) 2 votes. Brazzale wears no.24. Could've been mixed up with either no.14 Aishling Sheridan (14 disposals, 1 goal, 5 tackles) or no.25 Mikala Cann (17 disposals, 7 tackles). I don't know...

Conti just sticks out like dogs balls in a mid-tier team, thanks partly to injuries. There weren't a lot of other players taking votes off her. Conti ended with 23, Egan 5, Yassir 2, Brennan 2, Seymour 1 and Kelly 1.
It’s true other clubs have more than one really good ball winner. Geelong, Adelaide, Roos easily have a better group and I’ve heard a few times, if you stop Conti you stop Richmond.
Thing is though, I think I’ve only seen Cathy Svarc shut her down and that was last season in the finals.

It’s true other clubs have more than one really good ball winner. Geelong, Adelaide, Roos easily have a better group and I’ve heard a few times, if you stop Conti you stop Richmond.
Thing is though, I think I’ve only seen Cathy Svarc shut her down and that was last season in the finals.

Yeah, she is a really good player, I am not having a crack at her, it is just the way things are with how short the season is and the position Richmond was in with injuries and who they played. She may have still won it regardless of the circumstances beyond her control.

Ally Anderson won it last year and she didn't even make the AA team so there seems to be a significant variance between who the umpires thing are the best and who the "experts" believe. Some people don't rate the Brownlow for similar reasons, but it is what it is. Conti won it and good on her.

AFLPA MVP
1. Jasmine Garner (North Melbourne)
2. Monique Conti (Richmond)
3. Chloe Molloy (Sydney)
4. Kate Hore (Melbourne)
5. Ebony Marinoff (Adelaide)
Most Courageous
1. Courtney Hodder (Brisbane)
2. Chelsea Randall (Adelaide)
3. Kirsty Lamb (Western Bulldogs)
4. Brittany Bonnici (Collingwood)
5. Shelley Heath (Melbourne)
Best Captain
1. Kate Hore (Melbourne)
2. Chloe Molloy (Sydney)
3. Bonnie Toogood (Essendon)
4. Chelsea Randall (Adelaide)
5. Breanna Koenen (Brisbane)
Best First Year Player Award
1. Aishling Moloney (Geelong)
2. Matilda Scholz (Port Adelaide)
3. Tanya Kennedy (Sydney)
4. Ruby Tripodi (North Melbourne)
5. Aimee Mackin (Melbourne)

Hore getting both AA captain and Best Captain, particularly after the performance against Adelaide in R6 (her interesting "efforts" would've been played non-stop throughout the week on all the shows, if it was the men's comp), is a bit mindblowing.

Ebony O'Dea not even in the top 5 of the Most Courageous. Must not pass the nice guy test, a la Emma Kearney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back