Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

Remove this Banner Ad

I was banned from watching the Simpsons

One of those kids, huh? From what I've read it seems heaps of kids were banned from watching The Simpsons because their parents thought the show (more specifically, Bart) was a 'bad influence'. This comes from a brilliant (but ridiculously old) website known as Simpson Gazette:
According to Tony Lammens, original maintainer of these pages, the show was first broadcast on Sunday evenings amid a fanfare of publicity. The show failed to attract an audience, in large part because of Ten's unusual advertising campaign, which pointed out what a horrible brat Bart was. Over-protective parents stopped their kids from watching the show, and it only became popular when word of mouth started to spread. By 1994 it was such a hit that Ten opted to strip the show five nights a week, first at 6:00pm, and then in 1995 at 7:00pm. As a result, most episodes have now aired in Australia at least six or seven times.

I saw 'Ted' for the first time
You weren't missing much.
Some good crude humour I can recommend is a show called The Inbetweeners a dysfunctional group of people try to come of age. It's a show I recommend that everyone watches and has some of the best one liners in history.

Some good crude humour I can recommend is a show called The Inbetweeners a dysfunctional group of people try to come of age. It's a show I recommend that everyone watches and has some of the best one liners in history.

That was actually the first of the 'crude' shows I watched. Binged the entire series over a week at night towards the back end of the summer holidays. Fantastic show, insanely hilarious, and as a teenager, I found it very relatable.

I still enjoy thinking/yelling (with the windows closed) "BUS W******!" (even though I use buses regularly). That's probably one of my favourite moments. Up there with Simon throwing up on Carli's brother, Simon's car door falling off at Thorpe Park, the entire last ten minutes of the "Trip to Warwick" episode, and Simon shitting himself (literally) during his final exams

You weren't missing much.
One of the all time greats! (although, I have only watched a few comedy series right the way through, so perhaps I'm not the best judge)

That was actually the first of the 'crude' shows I watched. Binged the entire series over a week at night towards the back end of the summer holidays. Fantastic show, insanely hilarious, and as a teenager, I found it very relatable.

I still enjoy thinking/yelling (with the windows closed) "BUS W******!" (even though I use buses regularly). That's probably one of my favourite moments. Up there with Simon throwing up on Carli's brother, Simon's car door falling off at Thorpe Park, the entire last ten minutes of the "Trip to Warwick" episode, and Simon shitting himself (literally) during his final exams
...And then the movies were just a big let down.

Two other British teen/youth shows I'd recommend is Skins and Misfits.
Skins had Gilly and Gendry, while Misfits had Pip and Ramsey for Game of Thrones; amongst other actors that you'll know.

One of the all time greats! (although, I have only watched a few comedy series right the way through, so perhaps I'm not the best judge)
The good things about British shows is that they are very short. They stop when the show is at it's peak and therefore doesn't allow the show to get bad like they did with Lost.

Cringe humour
It's amazing. Some of my favourite quotes

Simon: “Who brings a bag of s*** to the pub?”
Jay: “Your dad does.”
Simon: “Does he?”
Jay: “Yeah, your mum!”

Jay: [after being rejected as a model] Well, this is ******* bang out of order! I'm first reserve! It was me Charlotte wanted, she chose me, that's the only reason I'm doing it. They'll be sorry! I'll show them.
Will: "Columbine massacre show them" or "Futile gesture show them"?
Jay: Whatever's worse.

Oh and of course " OH FRIEND" I'm literally known as friend around my mates because of how frequently I quote the inbetweeners. I reckon I've watched it 10 times at least. Amazing show.

Love it. My mates and I still quote Inbetweeners lines all the time. Finally got around to watching it last year while flying to Newy for the Jets v City semi final. Whenever one of us bump into someone we know, we start with "Who was that?" then fill in the blanks

Even when approaching a roundabout sometimes
"EUGHH! Give way to the f**king left!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axl4ZeZBEGA
Jays s**t talking, Simons luck, Neils naive view and Wills snobbishness make a hell of a mix, personal favourite of mine being Mr Gilbert and his condescending attitude

Question for the younger lads:

Where does The Simpson's sit in your lives?

For myself, and many others it was an integral part of childhood, to the point where I still drop quotes into conversation and many others do.

But, I remember it in its prime, do you quote newer episodes? Remember the season 10 days? Or is it viewed as a show for old people now?
Integral part of my childhood also. Watched it on 10 whenever it was on and then on 11 for the animation fixation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's mine:

The Office (US) - GOAT TV show. Nothing else to say.
Star Wars The Clone Wars (2008) - It's a kids show yeah, but thelast few seasons are really good, explores some more mature themes so if you like Star Wars really give it a shot.

Man in the High Castle - Great show based on alternate history where the Nazis win WW2 (maybe not so great). Recommend it if you're into history.

Futurama - Only reason this is here above the Simpsons is purely because I watched it more as a kid.

Seinfeld - haven't seen a lot of episodes but from what I've watched just a great show, can see why others adore it.

Last edited:
Couldn't pick 5 so I've gone with 7
Bad education - A very underrated British comedy with Jack Whitehall
Orange is the New Black - A very good look at prisons (though unrealistic) a very engaging show with some great one lines
How to get away with murder - I love the legal aspect of it and the show is surprisingly accurate. Helped me pass legal studies last year and it's got such a good plot
The Inbetweeners - I've already said it but one of the best T.V. shows ever. Would highly recommend watching it.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - I found out about it in 2016 and fell in love straight away. One of the only shows which was me genuinely laughing every episode
Big Mouth - Another essential show. A comedy about puberty which manages to cover some very serious topics very well.
Sex education - I don't know why I love this show so much, I watched it the day it came out and finished it that day. Such an interesting show again would very highly recommend

Don't watch much TV so I'll list my 5 favourite shows all-time

Thunderbirds (1965) - awesome special effects, music, the whole 9 yards
Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008) -
see magpienato
Captain Scarlet & The Mysterons (1967)
- Feel this is an underrated series - explores mature themes, and TBH has a little bit of a horror sci-fi about it (think Alien, Terminator). Also pretty dark. (feel the 2005 remake is probably the same but haven't seen that much)
Mythbusters - who doesn't love watching s**t get blown up for science?
Air Crash Investigations -
pretty dodgy acting but still always good fun.

Am I a bit weird/sad?

Most of the shows I watch have finished so mines a bit of a mix:

Frasier: Great sitcom with slightly more sophisticated humour and jokes. The chemistry between the characters is amazing, and the way the cast carry out the inside jokes that became key parts of many episodes is top notch. This scene is one of my favourite parts of the series:

The Simpsons: What more can you say. The GOAT

The Inbetweeners: Relatable and every episode has laugh-out-loud moments. The themes and the topics discussed, as well as the plot of each episode rings true for a teenager

Rostered On: Australian comedy that focuses on retail life. Filmed down in Geelong (specifically, Waurn Ponds). Keep an eye out for the new season on 7Mate (after debuting on Facebook, YouTube and Netflix). Similar to The Inbetweeners in how it's relatable to people, but this one is Australian and features many mannerism and actions that most Aussies have seen

M*A*S*H: Up there with The Simpsons as the GOAT TV Show. Moved from pure comedy to dark humour by the end of the series, but remained a great show regardless. Who could forget Hawkeye leaving, and then inadvertently break New York's sewerage system

Honourable Mentions:
Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures
Kath & Kim
The Big Bang Theory
The King of Queens
Everybody Loves Raymond

Question for those who list the US Office as one of their favourite shows... have you watched the British version?
The American Office had 2-3 great seasons before it horrifically jumped the shark.

The UK is brilliant

It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia: It’s been dubbed the 21st century version of Seinfeld for a reason. Just hits my sense of humour perfectly. My favourite show by far.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Quality comedy series. Glad it survived cancellation.

Peep Show: Everything I love about the British sense of humour.

True Detective: Season one only. Most enthralling Cop series I’ve ever watched.

Ozark: Smart writing. Love the tone of this series.

Question for those who list the US Office as one of their favourite shows... have you watched the British version?
I've watched the first season but that's about it. While it has some great moments, the US version just refines the whole idea of the show in my opinion. However I'd take the UK Office over anything past Season 7 of the US Office in a heartbeat.

my top 5:
it's always sunny in philadelphia
breaking bad
mr robot
silicon valley
community

love always sunny so much. one of those shows that gets even better the more you rewatch it. i may also have an IG account dedicated to it i love it that much.
breaking bad is so bloody good. rewatching it again at the moment. if anyone hasn't seen it, massive recommendation that you give it a go.
that first season of mr robot got me hooked. keen to see how they wrap it all up for the final season.
silicon valley & community round out the top 5. those early seasons of community are amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back