Autopsy Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the last 2 mins video on the afl site. Newnes was HUGE. He won a couple of clearances but also killed the ball on a couple of occasions by not letting it get out the back. Just dug deep. Ross, Wilkie & Lonie really stood up as well in those final minutes.
Credit where its due. I'm a knocker of his - but he was one of the best yesterday. We wouldn't have won without him.. Best 2-way runner all day.

Just watched the last 2 mins video on the afl site. Newnes was HUGE. He won a couple of clearances but also killed the ball on a couple of occasions by not letting it get out the back. Just dug deep. Ross, Wilkie & Lonie really stood up as well in those final minutes.
Will have to do this. My taping from Fox finished with about 2.15 left.

I'm tipping that everyone barr Saints people would go..."Callum who"

Plenty of AFL Fantasy & Supercoach players would be liking him ATM

Credit where its due. I'm a knocker of his - but he was one of the best yesterday. We wouldn't have won without him.. Best 2-way runner all day.

Agreed, he kept popping up in defence to support the backs.

IMG_2174.PNG

Interesting to look at his heatmap for the year, nothing in f50 but a lot tracking back. That seems to be his role and he's doing it well.

View attachment 654919

Interesting to look at his heatmap for the year, nothing in f50 but a lot tracking back. That seems to be his role and he's doing it well.
That's a good summary. We're definitely playing a more defensive style of game this year - that is clearly working for this group.

We have enough talls and smalls in the forward line, so our mids are running a lot harder into defense and then attacking off the half back line.

Looks as though we go wide to the wings and bring it inside from there.. A bit Malthouse style 2010..

Newnes is back to his old self just about, TBH over the last 18-24 months I think he has been playing injured, like Mav looked at times too, but now Newnes looks fit and is playing like it. I reckon he prob in our best 5 each game

The other one I was impressed with yesty was Lonie, I for one doubt that he is in 22 long term, but his game yesty was great and if he kicked straight it could have been a HUGE game. He always seems to pop up against the hawks, kicked 4 in the game against them later in the season last year I think?
My hawks fan mate sitting with me yesty was hating life anytime Lonie was near it haha

I also thought Hunter was good in patches yesty, did some good work in centre clearances and around the ground too, wouldnt be in a rush to bring Dunstan back just yet.

Golly RoMa is looking the goods, cant see him winning the HOs too much but he was HUGE around the ground, is almost an extra Mid in there which is what we need

That's a good summary. We're definitely playing a more defensive style of game this year - that is clearly working for this group.

We have enough talls and smalls in the forward line, so our mids are running a lot harder into defense and then attacking off the half back line.

Looks as though we go wide to the wings and bring it inside from there.. A bit Malthouse style 2010..
Yeah but without any of the scoring potency they possessed that year! Otherwise your spot on, and it does seem to suit this group
Whilst our skills and decision making/ball use is still way off the mark, the structure is holding up really well defensively!
I'm hoping our fwd set up will eventually click and can improve sharply! Like you i haven't been Newnes biggest fan either
But it has to be said he has been excellent so far this term, hard to know how much the mysterious injury he carried last year affected him
But he seems to have developed a new found intensity and maturity i hadn't seen from him before!
Much more in keeping with his responsibility in the leadership group!

Was brutal on Acres last week..

Credit to him, a season like yesterday and I'm officially ECI on the goat
Yup. It's gratifying to have it wrong. I was with you last week, very critical of Acres because he is capable of playing as he did yesterday but hasn't.

Challenge is for him to do it consistently, and if he does, it is real X factor.

Congratulations fellas. Excellent win and I couldn't be more impressed with your start to the season. Even the Gold Coast win stacks up now.

I think you'll trouble us with your pace at the wide expanses of the G. Melbourne under Goodwin have trouble beating fast sides at the MCG, as Essendon (rd 3) and you showed last year. If you minimise your turnovers and mistakes, you should out class us.

On a side note, does anyone know the bloke who dresses up in his Saints tuxedo and top hat, is seen on camera most weeks and always has a couple of beers in his hands. Unfortunately he got into a confrontation after the game and was evicted from the ground. He was extremly intoxicated (at 6pm) and could barely stand.

Will have to do this. My taping from Fox finished with about 2.15 left.
Same. Disappointing to have foxtel and miss the most exciting bit.

Felt the camera work was second rate at times too where we were stuck watching replay and missed goals etc.

Clark looked much settled in his second game for the year.
Our issue is 3rd Quarters. What are we doing at half time? first 10 minutes of 3rd quarters we are terrible. Might have to rethink half time routine.

Get that right and wow we will be unstoppable it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 654919

Billings was also working hard to get back and help the backline. Plenty of times we looked in trouble and one of Billings or Newnes would pop up to give us the extra number. The work rate from these two guys this year has been exceptional.

Great to hear Billings starting to get a bit of recognition too. Lyon and Watson on SEN both suggesting he is closing the gap between himself and Josh Kelly.

Newnes is and will always he underrated I think. Great to see him get back into form because we all knew he could play.

The growth as leaders over the past month in Newnes, Ross, Billings, Gresham & Lonie to name a few has been massive. Armo is obviously no longer best 22 & the injuries to Robbo, Hanneberry, Steven & Carlisle has allowed our next generation to develop their leadership skills. They are no longer hiding behind the older guys & are leading from the front. It could be the making of this group.

Still need to fix the forward line- it just doesn't function as a unit. We can't afford the midfield to have these lapses for half a quarter- we got away with it against Freo and Hawks, but we will get caught out. Desperation and fitness definitely improved. Need to bottle Lonie's desire- it is really important for guys to play with that commitment.

Congratulations fellas. Excellent win and I couldn't be more impressed with your start to the season. Even the Gold Coast win stacks up now.

I think you'll trouble us with your pace at the wide expanses of the G. Melbourne under Goodwin have trouble beating fast sides at the MCG, as Essendon (rd 3) and you showed last year. If you minimise your turnovers and mistakes, you should out class us.

On a side note, does anyone know the bloke who dresses up in his Saints tuxedo and top hat, is seen on camera most weeks and always has a couple of beers in his hands. Unfortunately he got into a confrontation after the game and was evicted from the ground. He was extremly intoxicated (at 6pm) and could barely stand.

Never heard of him before but willing to make him our new mascot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back