Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That role is in use less and less now with the 6-6-6 rule. Wood has regressed at a rapid rate. He hasn't played good footy for 2 years.

I don’t mean loose as in not playing on a man at all. More of a Rance style of taking a 3rd/4th best forward and using his ability to read the game and his athleticism to peel off and intercept.

A guy who used to post on here a bit Butane mentioned on Twitter Schache is on 2.5M over the length of his contract. That’s over $800k per year. Was the contract Brisbane signed him to that we picked up. If that’s true I’ll hate Jmac even more than I currently do

A guy who used to post on here a bit Butane mentioned on Twitter Schache is on 2.5M over the length of his contract. That’s over $800k per year. Was the contract Brisbane signed him to that we picked up. If that’s true I’ll hate Jmac even more than I currently do
He was reported at $350-400k when we picked him up. I reckon that’s nearer the truth. We’re not paying him $800k.

Need to overpay for a veteran with leadership, this isn't about on field performance, this is about player leadership which we lack big time. We aren't contending anytime soon but we need to grow leaders. We need to overpay at least one of these players to bring them in..

Mundy
Stratton
J.Roughead
H.Grundy
McVeigh
W.Schofield

jesus there ain't many available next offseason :(

Trengove is easily good enough to be playing in this side. Any other coach given this list would play him.

Lloyd is probably our best forward, but as the new recruit in an underperforming side he cops more than his fair share of the blame. Saw the same thing happen to Crozier early last year until it became too hard to find things to criticise about him. Lloyd is ultimately a victim of the lack of structure in our forward line, just like Boyd, Schache and Gowers. It's not the players in my opinion, it all goes back to the coaching.
Lloyd does some nice things, like he always did at Richmond, but he makes telling fumbles week after week. Frankly if fit I would be more interested in Dale or Cavarra getting a go.

Trengove should be picked on merit right now, but that doesn’t mean he’s someone who is going to take our side forward. If Schache and Boyd were in any sort of form they’d get a game first.

Both Lloyd and Trengove would likely be squeezed out if we were a top eight side.

There are exceptions but usually if a bloke is in their late 20s and not getting a game at one club, there’s a pretty good reason.

Need to overpay for a veteran with leadership, this isn't about on field performance, this is about player leadership which we lack big time. We aren't contending anytime soon but we need to grow leaders. We need to overpay at least one of these players to bring them in..

Mundy
Stratton
J.Roughead
H.Grundy
McVeigh
W.Schofield

jesus there ain't many available next offseason :(

Actually disagree. Coaching aside, think we are two small fwds, a fwd ruck and KpD Away from competing for finals this yr.

If Boyd could be the fwd/ruck great. But Trengove plays there until Boyd is ready. when boyd is back JT can then play ruck when English inevitably breaks or burns out later this yr.

That just leaves the small quck skillful fwds. Actually think Fergus and Cavarra could really help this season and show the way structurally even if they aren't the answer longer term. In a good structure Schache can play but not as KPF if he learns to try.

The only real deficiency we can't cover this yr is KPD as Young and Roberts aren't what we need. Unless Naughton goes back which is not preferable.

We pick up a rapid skilled fwd or two and a competent KPD and we are close to set.

Our mid group is as good as any IMO. WE JUST NEED TO PLAY LESS SLOW INSIDE MIDS WITH sloppy skills. We are also stocked for back flankers and pockets.

The biggest change required is coaching with some new ideas required (and listened to) IMO.

Actually disagree. Coaching aside, think we are two small fwds, a fwd ruck and KpD Away from competing for finals this yr.

If Boyd could be the fwd/ruck great. But Trengove plays there until Boyd is ready. when boyd is back JT can then play ruck when English inevitably breaks or burns out later this yr.

That just leaves the small quck skillful fwds. Actually think Fergus and Cavarra could really help this season and show the way structurally even if they aren't the answer longer term. In a good structure Schache can play but not as KPF if he learns to try.

The only real deficiency we can't cover this yr is KPD as Young and Roberts aren't what we need. Unless Naughton goes back which is not preferable.

We pick up a rapid skilled fwd or two and a competent KPD and we are close to set.

Our mid group is as good as any IMO. WE JUST NEED TO PLAY LESS SLOW INSIDE MIDS WITH sloppy skills. We are also stocked for back flankers and pockets.

The biggest change required is coaching with some new ideas required (and listened to) IMO.

I do agree with all that. however they are big IF's

I do agree with all that. however they are big IF's

Biggest IF is that the coach will change. Appears to make his mind up on players and either rarely plays them or only gives them a game or two before dropping them (see Fletch, Campbell, Webb and maybe JT). Even though he must have been part of the decision to recontract or recruit them.

A lot of probs could be helped just by dropping Dunks/wallis for JT.

Recall discussing selection with Mofra this week and we both agreed that JT had to come in and equally agreed that Bev wouldn't make the change.

The rewarding of Hunter with a B and F and a massive contract when he is the least damaging high disposal outside mid in the comp makes me wonder what game Bev is playing. against Carlton Hunter refused to tackle and shat the bed under a high one this week as well as missing an easy set shot but we all know his place is not in jeopardy.

Biggest IF is that the coach will change. Appears to make his mind up on players and either rarely plays them or only gives them a game or two before dropping them (see Fletch, Campbell, Webb and maybe JT). Even though he must have been part of the decision to recontract or recruit them.

A lot of probs could be helped just by dropping Dunks/wallis for JT.

Recall discussing selection with Mofra this week and we both agreed that JT had to come in and equally agreed that Bev wouldn't make the change.

The rewarding of Hunter with a B and F and a massive contract when he is the least damaging high disposal outside mid in the comp makes me wonder what game Bev is playing. against Carlton Hunter refused to tackle and shat the bed under a high one this week as well as missing an easy set shot but we all know his place is not in jeopardy.

Yes we have to many impotent accumulators with vanilla flavoured dinga's in their back pocket and Hunter is #1. Unfortunately Bont is entering the club this year when he is far better than resorting to that shite.

edit, thats harsh on bont when better directed to Macrae, and Wallis/Dunkley if playerd midfield

Last edited:
Discussed this with a mate today who is a Richmond fan.

Reckons they are still desperate for inside mids.

Dunkley for Noah Balta? Probably no chance of happening but those are the types of moves we need to make to balance our list
Yet they only just traded our Miles to the Suns. That deal would be handy but unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering Bevo's flexibility mantra, I decided to create a spreadsheet which highlights poisitions our players are able to play on the field. I have broken down the positions on the field into: ruck, key forward, key defender, inside mid, outside mid, general forward, hybrid defender and rebounding defender. I would like to know peoples thoughts and to also let me know if I should add or subtract a particular position to a particular player.

Matt Suckling- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Lewis Young- Key defender, key forward
Mitch Wallis- Inside mid, general forward
Marcus Bontempelli- Inside mid, general forward
Josh Dunkley- Inside mid, general forward
Bailey Smith- Inside mid, outside mid, general forward
Lachie Hunter- Outside mid
Jackson Trengove- Ruck, key defender, key forward
Hayden Crozier- Hybrid defender
Easton Wood- Hybrid defender
Jack Macrae- Inside mid, outside mid
Zaine Cordy- Key defender, key forward
Josh Schache- Key forward, ruck
Rhylee West- Inside mid, general forward
Taylor Duryea- Hybrid defender
Toby McLean- Inside mid, outside mid, general forward
Tom Boyd- Key forward, ruck
Fletcher Roberts- Key defender, key forward
Lukas Webb- Inside mid, outside mid, rebounding defender, general forward
Ed Richards- Outside mid, rebounding defender, general forward
Tom Liberatore- Inside mid, general forward
Sam Lloyd- Outside mid, general forward
Laitham Vandermeer- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Buku Khamis- Hybrid defender
Ben Cavarra- Outside mid, general forward
Billy Gowers- Inside mid, general forward
Patrick Lipinski- Inside mid, outside mid, general forward
Callum Porter- Inside mid, general forward
Tory Dickson- Outside mid, general forward
Fergus Greene- General forward
Bailey Dale- Outside mid, general forward
Will Hayes- Outside mid
Aaron Naughton- Key forward, key defender
Bailey Williams- Inside mid, outside mid, rebounding defender
Caleb Daniel- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Brad Lynch- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Roarke Smith- Hybrid defender, general forward
Dale Morris- Key defender
Jason Johannisen- Outside mid, rebounding defender, general forward
Lachie Young- Hybrid defender
Jordon Sweet- Ruck, key forward
Tim English- Ruck, key forward
Lin Jong- Inside mid, general forward

Considering Bevo's flexibility mantra, I decided to create a spreadsheet which highlights poisitions our players are able to play on the field. I have broken down the positions on the field into: ruck, key forward, key defender, inside mid, outside mid, general forward, hybrid defender and rebounding defender. I would like to know peoples thoughts and to also let me know if I should add or subtract a particular position to a particular player.

Matt Suckling- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Lewis Young- Key defender, key forward
Mitch Wallis- Inside mid, general forward
Marcus Bontempelli- Inside mid, general forward
Josh Dunkley- Inside mid, general forward
Bailey Smith- Inside mid, outside mid, general forward
Lachie Hunter- Outside mid
Jackson Trengove- Ruck, key defender, key forward
Hayden Crozier- Hybrid defender
Easton Wood- Hybrid defender
Jack Macrae- Inside mid, outside mid
Zaine Cordy- Key defender, key forward
Josh Schache- Key forward, ruck
Rhylee West- Inside mid, general forward
Taylor Duryea- Hybrid defender
Toby McLean- Inside mid, outside mid, general forward
Tom Boyd- Key forward, ruck
Fletcher Roberts- Key defender, key forward
Lukas Webb- Inside mid, outside mid, rebounding defender, general forward
Ed Richards- Outside mid, rebounding defender, general forward
Tom Liberatore- Inside mid, general forward
Sam Lloyd- Outside mid, general forward
Laitham Vandermeer- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Buku Khamis- Hybrid defender
Ben Cavarra- Outside mid, general forward
Billy Gowers- Inside mid, general forward
Patrick Lipinski- Inside mid, outside mid, general forward
Callum Porter- Inside mid, general forward
Tory Dickson- Outside mid, general forward
Fergus Greene- General forward
Bailey Dale- Outside mid, general forward
Will Hayes- Outside mid
Aaron Naughton- Key forward, key defender
Bailey Williams- Inside mid, outside mid, rebounding defender
Caleb Daniel- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Brad Lynch- Outside mid, rebounding defender
Roarke Smith- Hybrid defender, general forward
Dale Morris- Key defender
Jason Johannisen- Outside mid, rebounding defender, general forward
Lachie Young- Hybrid defender
Jordon Sweet- Ruck, key forward
Tim English- Ruck, key forward
Lin Jong- Inside mid, general forward

Moz isn't really a KPD. Schache is a HFF, as can be Lynch. Bont, Jong and Dunks are also apparently rucks.

Discussed this with a mate today who is a Richmond fan.

Reckons they are still desperate for inside mids.

Dunkley for Noah Balta? Probably no chance of happening but those are the types of moves we need to make to balance our list
Josh Dunkley played for Richmond in the VFL before he was drafted, they got Jack Ross this year and he is
187 cm and 85 kg looks the goods could be the answer they are looking for, good player.

Anyone at the crows we could trade Williams for? He will most likely request a trade at seasons end to the crows. Would be nice for him to find form beforehand to up his value.
Not fussed if you shoot me down. I have been right about him b4 btw for some reason :)

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone at the crows we could trade Williams for? He will most likely request a trade at seasons end to the crows. Would be nice for him to find form beforehand to up his value.
Not fussed if you shoot me down. I have been right about him b4 btw for some reason :)

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
There does seem to be a fair amount of noise about Williams heading back to Adelaide.

Didn't like the look of any of the KPP listed in the AFL article posted a while back. Would perfer a fast mid/fwd for the long term to be honest.

You hear something VD?

If so please let it be Hirst...
Only thing i have really heard is Gia pushing for Gardner to be selected

Wouldn't surprise me if our trail players are our 19 year old scary players

My thoughts on our list and what we need to improve and who we should target:

Future of our team:
Backline: Cordy Richards JJ Daniel(would prefer as a mid) crozier

Midfield: Bont Macrae hunter b.smith Dunkley English libba McLean

Forward line: Naughton gowers

Not taking us forward but can play a role/be depth (doesn’t mean they are not good just means they don’t have improvement in them) :
Suckling Duryea Dickson Lloyd Wallis Trengove Jong Roberts Boyd (not sure where to put him) Morris wood

Unknowns: west Cavarra Hayes la.Young lew.Young dale lipinksi Schache (just fell in here) vandermeer khamis Greene Williams Lynch sweet.

Won’t make it: r.smith Webb porter

Our midfield looks strong maybe a touch of pace needed. Our backline needs a kpd but mid to small backs are solid, I have hope in lew.young. Our forward line looks terrible 2 players Naughton could easily swing back instead and gowers could easily be in the not improving bracket.

Who I would target:

Hugh Dixon 20 year old 196cm 96kg kpf (Freo)
Contracted till 2020, yet to debut for freo and is now behind Hogan McCarthy lobb taberner all of which would be walk up starts in our forward line. In the wafl 9 games last year for 10 goals 3 behinds. Only played his first game of the year this week.

Zach sproule 20 year old 197cm 92kg kpf (gws rookie)
Currently behind Paton Cameron himmleberg and finlayson all would start in our team. NEAFL form 2017 17 games 28 goals, 2018 18 games 31 goals. 2019 3 games 10 goals.

Shai Bolton 20 year old 175cm 77kg (Richmond)
Struggled to find a regular spot in Richmond’s forward line with the likes of Rioli, caddy, Higgins. Would add speed and goal sense to our forward line something we lack.

Would love us to look at Hayward and Florent from Sydney but doubt either would be available.

Finding a kpd is a lot more difficult and will mean getting someone that’s past it or over paying for someone imo. We are likely to have a top 5 pick but should be taking it to the draft. If we could get Dixon and Bolton and got boyd back playing our team would look a lot better.

B: crozier lew.young Duryea
Hb: JJ Cordy suckling
C : Macrae Bont hunter
Hf: McLean Naughton gowers
F: Bolton Boyd Dixon
R: English libba Dunkley
Int: Daniel b.smith Richards Lloyd

Obviously still week in the kpd position but a much more natural forward half which with the amount of inside 50s we generate, should be capable of scoring more and add a top 5 pick such as a rozee, rankine or b.smith type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back