AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very impressed with his contribution, good on you Jake. I like many have followed the trouncing you have received for your personal life in the media while being traded and your reaction is great to see for the EFC and you personally. He has been one of the most consistent performers for us this year and has been a genuine steal in the trade market.

One knock on him. Just one.

He tries taking on 3-4 players to score the hero goal when there's another option inside 50. He does that once or twice almost every game. Should look to pass when players are open.

Other than that, gun.

Sometimes a disposal can count as both somehow. I don't know the specifics.

I had the same thought - perhaps if you win it in a contested situation, run away and then dispose of the ball in an uncontested manner? Not sure, seems to be over complicating things for the sake of it.

One knock on him. Just one.

He tries taking on 3-4 players to score the hero goal when there's another option inside 50. He does that once or twice almost every game. Should look to pass when players are open.

Other than that, gun.

I notice that too. I always find myself thinking 'if 4 blokes are tackling him, how many of our blokes are free to give the ball off to?'

I had the same thought - perhaps if you win it in a contested situation, run away and then dispose of the ball in an uncontested manner? Not sure, seems to be over complicating things for the sake of it.
Every free kick is a contested possession, so maybe a handball receive before you get taken high counts as both?

One thing that's a bit weird with Jake, when he has a set shot from a really tight angle on the boundary or deep in the pocket, I'm really confident he will slot the goal. And he normally does.

The easier shot from less acute angles is where he can still be a bit iffy. It's really odd.

Very happy with how he's going overall though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back