Analysis What The Heck Happened vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Walker's game is being a bit underrated. Not the most memorable game but solid. He contributed directly to at least 3 goals yesterday, his skills in the field of play creating some opportunities that might not have otherwise been there.

I reckon we lose if he didn't play yesterday.

Yep, I’ve read the articles on AFL.com and they keep claiming the Keath one as the ‘controversial decision’.

Since when is not giving the ball directly back to the player with the free kick controversial? That’s day 1 stuff. The 50 missed frees for both teams was the umpire controversy... Not the clear as day violation of a rule that’s been in the game forever!
The Keath 50m can’t be controversial. The Freo player was holding the ball and just dropped it when the umpire called it out of bounds on the full. As soon as it happened I was wondering if the umpire would pay a 50m penalty. Normally it would happen, but last night’s game was far from normal. It was just dumb from the Freo player.

It looked like the speed of this game was not to his liking. I kept thinking he’d get one of his lightening handballs out of congestion but non of what he was trying to do worked.
You could see he was frustrated with the intense defensive pressure. He was trying to create but the pressure was too hot. I have no doubt that in a less pressured game he’d have had a better day. He said it was one of the highest pressure games he’s played in. Pearce didn’t give him an inch.
He needed.to kick the ball more instead of the handball option. Two long forward kicks he had resulted in goals.

Freo swarmed him every time he second guessed what to do.

My instruction to him when that happens is to just kick it forward. Forget the handball.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think Walker's game is being a bit underrated. Not the most memorable game but solid. He contributed directly to at least 3 goals yesterday, his skills in the field of play creating some opportunities that might not have otherwise been there.

I reckon we lose if he didn't play yesterday.
He also got caught holding the ball several times when he had other options. I think he was trying too hard to make something happen off his own back.

I have always thought CEY, Greenwood and M Crouch together cant work.

Last three weeks it has. And a big reason for our turn around with such a physically strong midfield. As statistically pleasing as the Crouch boys were it was the grunt of CEY and Greenwood that went a long way to winning yesterday.

However we are yet to see it against a quick moving side.

Last three weeks it has. And a big reason for our turn around with such a physically strong midfield. As statistically pleasing as the Crouch boys were it was the grunt of CEY and Greenwood that went a long way to winning yesterday.

I’d say a big part of it is that CEY is playing ok and is taking on a bit of a minder/tagger role.

An in-form Brouch and Sloane definitely help too as it means you can’t just lock down on Mrouch.

Statistically pleasing....yes that’s a very good description of the Crouch brothers

Funny how quick things change. 4 or 5 weeks ago after the geelong game we were convinced ROB wouldn’t make it
That was absolutely absurd thinking, it was his first AFL game in like 2-3 years. What we've been getting out of ROB the last couple weeks especially resembles a ruckmen thats had 50+ games. It would be fantastic if he can sustain it and continue to grow. I remember even Brodie Grundy had a fair form slump after an impressive start to his career. Then suddenly things really clicked and now look at him. Not saying ROB can be Grundy because that's an extremely lofty goal but he is showing he's got what it takes to be an excellent AFL ruck. What his ceiling is will be very interesting to see.

Sum of all parts, improvement from ROB also helping our midfield now he's improving and they're just generally gelling a bit better. Fingers crossed they can all back up and put in a big match this week.

I understand some fans think the game was boring. I thought it was very dramatic, I enjoyed the crowds tension and the fans who knew what winning this game meant. How 1 mistake, could of changed the game. How important every contest was, how important every effort to make every contest was, how important to make position, how important to follow coaches instruction, how important second efforts were. It was a true arm wrestle.

The players will be up this morning, they worked hard, got results, it wasn't a game we were expected to win, only one we thought was winnable. The game was played on thier terms and we won, probably should of been 5 goals. That's the only critisism.

Cey is not an afl player. After one of his many utensil ups, someone yelled out give Patrick Wilson a go.

You can't argue with that.

Gibbs is finished. Trade him, he's worth two first rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like we’ve broken things down a bit after the first 4 games and have gone back the basic tactic of building from defence.

It’s easy to blame Ross for that game but we were a participant with our defence once again being set deeper shutting down space.

Good
All of our defence, who to a man, executed a very tight structure and also performed individually when required.
ROB
CEY/Greenwood were excellent in the clinches
Smithers having his best year and relishing playing a bit further up the ground at times
I saw Tex’s game differently to most, thought he dished out some sublime assists, and worked very hard in what was a defensive slog.
EH continues to take strides. Just need to keep pumping games into him.
Bad
One of Knights worse games - bad timing with heat on from below
Murphy- invisible
Some bad skill errors last night in general

Ugly

The game itself of course, but I have a feeling we may need to become more appreciative of this style. Think the free wheeling days of 2016/17 are behind us

At least we can put two myths to bed after yesterday.

1) Jenkins is the reason Tex plays poor footy - wrong!

Tight checking and stilted ball movement is the reason Tex plays poor (plus sometimes he is just crap).

2) That the game “flows better” when the umpires put the whistle away - Wrong.

If frees are there pay them. It is up to the players to give away less frees. Not the umpires.

Statistically pleasing....yes that’s a very good description of the Crouch brothers

I reckon Brad needs a rest at some stage in the next few weeks. He's been looking slightly less effective each week since the Cats game. He's missed a lot of footy so he's probably sore. No SANFL, just a week off to keep him fresh.

Similar with Betts, who IMO should miss the Lions game (Stengle to come in).

I would include Atkins in that group

Maybe, but others weren't fantastic, but did enough, those mentioned were just the stand out poor performers probably a bit rough on Gooch and Murphy as expectations were low. Gooch seems to never really get into gear maybe another year of development and bulk up a bit more not sure

The Keath 50m can’t be controversial. The Freo player was holding the ball and just dropped it when the umpire called it out of bounds on the full. As soon as it happened I was wondering if the umpire would pay a 50m penalty. Normally it would happen, but last night’s game was far from normal. It was just dumb from the Freo player.

Exactly. There was no grey area whatsoever. Freo player took it one grab on the full. It was either his mark, or OOF. There is no way it was a throw in. By dropping the ball he indicated he knew it wasn't a mark.

It was dumb, a brainfade, innocent mistake, whatever else, but it wasn't controversial.

I understand some fans think the game was boring. I thought it was very dramatic, I enjoyed the crowds tension and the fans who knew what winning this game meant. How 1 mistake, could of changed the game. How important every contest was, how important every effort to make every contest was, how important to make position, how important to follow coaches instruction, how important second efforts were. It was a true arm wrestle.

The players will be up this morning, they worked hard, got results, it wasn't a game we were expected to win, only one we thought was winnable. The game was played on thier terms and we won, probably should of been 5 goals. That's the only critisism.

Cey is not an afl player. After one of his many utensil ups, someone yelled out give Patrick Wilson a go.

You can't argue with that.

Gibbs is finished. Trade him, he's worth two first rounders.
You serious about CEY? He was in everything. Pure grunt work stood out which all add to the drama you describe above. Sure, he shanked a few kicks, but his willingness to get to the contest, fight, and win the ball was outstanding

Funny how quick things change. 4 or 5 weeks ago after the geelong game we were convinced ROB wouldn’t make it
Not everyone. His ruck work was poor but if you watched closely the work he did on the ground showed some good signs. His ruck work is not too bad so I never had a problem that he got beaten in his 3rd game.

We couldn’t get a clearance to control the game, wasn’t through lack of effort. They were gelling a lot better than we were. No Jones, Milera or Seed may have been a factor in this.
Hmm. We did not run in numbers so we found it hard to pass the ball and keep running. Often it was one player leftbeing pressured with limited options so they just kicked it to wherever. Little to No cohesion down field and was frustrating to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back