Review Good, bad, the gallant shat loss - R4 vs Melbourne 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Running backwards with the flight of the ball and jumping to try and mark it, without knowing whats coming to crash into you, is about as far from “soft” as you can get..

Squibbing contests like laird and smith have been doing a far bit of lately.. thats soft.

Rachele said he heard Tex calling for it from behind and got confused, just put up the one hand.

Young guys need to back themselves in, but they need to listen to team mates calling for it too, particularly guys like Tex.

Not saying it's all peachy.

Just that we have so many issues that a 20 year old player who has played 26 games out of 26 games and shown to be a very very good kick of the footy (at least during the first 25) is really pretty low on the issues at the club.

Did you watch the video you posted. Several of the first 5 kicks hit Crows hands first, and there were a bunch that were kicked long to a contest and resulted in a dead ball.

Just that we have so many issues that a 20 year old player who has played 26 games out of 26 games and shown to be a very very good kick of the footy (at least during the first 25) is really pretty low on the issues at the club.

Did you watch the video you posted. Several of the first 5 kicks hit Crows hands first, and there were a bunch that were kicked long to a contest and resulted in a dead ball.
He was actually one of our best in the first 1/2-3/8ths for some reason it turned to s**t.
Definitely not going to drop him after one poor game.

First kick goes out of bounds.
Next kick gets turned over and a shot on goal.
Next was hold hold hold long down the line to a killed contest.
Next was a hold hold hold long down the line to an engineered mark. ok.
Next was a shocker turning it into a contest.
Then there is the limp dick defensive effort that gifted Fritcsh another goal. For good measure.
Next is the dinky wtf was that? that Rachele and Keays looked dumbfounded by.
Next was a hold hold hold long down the line OOF.
His last two kicks were nice short backwards & sideways passes.
It's far from peachy. His team mates stopped giving him the ball is how bad it was.

He was actually one of our best in the first 1/2-3/8ths for some reason it turned to s**t.
Definitely not going to drop him after one poor game.

Its the same reason we shouldn't really be worried longterm about Tex or Dawsons kicking.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

We all saw this Max kid lace out forwards in his first season. He is a great kick of the footy.
First kick goes out of bounds. - DEAD BALL. NOT A GREAT KICK BUT NOT TERRIBLE.
Next kick gets turned over and a shot on goal - RISKY, BUT HITS JONES HANDS
Next was hold hold hold long down the line to a killed contest. - 40 METRE KICK DOWN THE LINE TO A CONTEST
Next was a hold hold hold long down the line to an engineered mark. ok. - MCHENRY GETS TWO HANDS AND DROPS THE MARK
Next was a shocker turning it into a contest. - FOGARTY GETS TWO HANDS TO IT
Then there is the limp dick defensive effort that gifted Fritcsh another goal. For good measure. -NOTHING TO DO WITH KICKING
Next is the dinky wtf was that? that Rachele and Keays looked dumbfounded by. - YUP - HE MISSED RACHELE BY A METRE -POOR KICK
Next was a hold hold hold long down the line OOF. - YUP - FINE KICK
His last two kicks were nice short backwards & sideways passes. - NOTHING WRONG HERE WHEN OUR GAMEPLAN IS STAGNANT
It's far from peachy. His team mates stopped giving him the ball is how bad it was.

See my responses in CAPS.

So of his 8 kicks highlighted - for me - the Rachele one was a shocker. The rest were long to a contest or could have been slightly better. Nothing to bad from a 26 game player here.

Seems to me someone doesn't like Max.

Its the same reason we shouldn't really be worried longterm about Tex or Dawsons kicking.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

We all saw this Max kid lace out forwards in his first season. He is a great kick of the footy.

See my responses in CAPS.

So of his 8 kicks highlighted - for me - the Rachele one was a shocker. The rest were long to a contest or could have been slightly better. Nothing to bad from a 26 game player here.

Seems to me someone doesn't like Max.
It's got nothing to do with like or dislike. I'm saying his form is dropping massively this season, classic second year blues stuff.
He needs a rest in my opinion before his confidence gets shot to bits like they've done with playing Pedlar with a face full of stitches. Anyway let's move on.

It's got nothing to do with like or dislike. I'm saying his form is dropping massively this season, classic second year blues stuff.
He needs a rest in my opinion before his confidence gets shot to bits like they've done with playing Pedlar with a face full of stitches. Anyway let's move on.

His form hasn't massively dropped off though.

Exactly he’s had one bad game. Mileys making up stories
And he was toweling up Fritsch until Hinge gifted him a freebie with an horrific turnover

And he was toweling up Fritsch until Hinge gifted him a freebie with an horrific turnover
Exactly... he was stitching up Fritsch until this gifted goal.

Another reason why as much as I like Hinge, he needs to be dropped as he has actually been crap in every game... unlike Max!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes we can be better but we believe the guys are playing their roles - around metres gained - then names 3 kids :rolleyes:

'' guys have just got to touch the footy at training , I know when I was out of form I felt touching as many footys at training helped me ''

Its the same shape in games as it is at training

Dowling '' young guys keep coming into my office and asking when is their chance and look the opportunity for those guys could be 3 weeks 4 weeks or whenever''

FMD

Yes we can be better but we believe the guys are playing their roles - around metres gained - then names 3 kids :rolleyes:

'' guys have just got to touch the footy at training , I know when I was out of form I felt touching as many footys at training helped me ''

Dowling '' young guys keep coming into my office and asking when is their chance and look the opportunity for those guys could be 3 weeks 4 weeks or whenever''

FMD

He did say whether it’s this week, 3-4 weeks or whenever”

FMD

VB has an office???!!!

Finally got around to watching the replay. Not as bad as I'd feared after reading comments in this thread. Confidence doesn't just come back in one week. I thought several players had their best games of the season, which isn't saying much but at least its a step in the right direction and against a good opponent. A bit more composure up forward and we could have pinched it.

Soligo. What a game. With Dawson, Soligo and Rankine on ball we looked dangerous. Would love to see Dowling get a crack. Pedlar needs to be back soon.

Biggest problems still slow low-risk ball movement and awful delivery into F50, albeit an improvement on the first three weeks.

Oh and we're missing Thilthorpe big time.

Finally got around to watching the replay. Not as bad as I'd feared after reading comments in this thread. Confidence doesn't just come back in one week. I thought several players had their best games of the season, which isn't saying much but at least its a step in the right direction and against a good opponent. A bit more composure up forward and we could have pinched it.

Soligo. What a game. With Dawson, Soligo and Rankine on ball we looked dangerous. Would love to see Dowling get a crack. Pedlar needs to be back soon.

Biggest problems still slow low-risk ball movement and awful delivery into F50, albeit an improvement on the first three weeks.

Oh and we're missing Thilthorpe big time.
First word nicks thinks of is defense. Another reading why he's a dud coach.

FMD

His face on the screen shot says it all.

FMD

That's a bit of a curate's egg of an interview.

VB was uncomfortable for most of it, hand on hips for the most, arms crossed at the end. He was definitely towing the "company line" for the majority of it. It seems like he drew the short straw this week and front the pack, but hell, it's his job, he's getting paid for it.

With regard to the Billy Dowling comments: look at it again from 6.08 when his name is brought up. His eyes lit up like a kid sitting on a secret, and my gut says Billy will debut this week. I hate what followed: "...those guys could be 3 weeks, 4 weeks, or whatever" but given that Nicks has already indicated changes will be made... well, I'm going to be disappointed if he doesn't. Another kick in the balls coming up? I hope I'm right, and I think most of you also do.

I said to a mate at our games this year we need 3x of Rankine (one for the guts, one outside and one forward). It sounds like the coaches think we need at least two of them, and they see at least what I do in his form this year. It was interesting (and bizarre) to hear him say that Isaac had "the licence" to go into the middle! It's an interesting thought, given that as a comparison Dimma clearly trusted Dusty to drift forward as he pleased. I don't buy that Isaac has anywhere near the same clout with our coaches, even if he has been our only truly elite ball user all season.

It also seems (like a concrete wall vs a dam busters bomb) that they are giving thought to the idea that both Crouch and Laird in our centre works against us. It may not sound like much progress, but given that Nicks had coffee with David King last week (of all people) trying to argue the case that our midfield wasn't a slow, one-paced, vanilla piece of blandness... it does seem like a start at least. Too little, too late for this year, I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back