• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a massive change from who seem a very professional and dedicated draftee entering the AFL system but probably explain why no one signed him despite training with a few AFL clubs.

Guess that's what he doing now. Maybe at 24 he's pulled his head in.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems as if hamish struggles in the 5-18 pick range.
If we can just get someone else to take the reigns for them, we’ll be sweet.

I suspect it'll end up being that he just struggled when Adelaide were a cheaped and hollowed out mess without any direction.

Why do you think Crows make finals in '23 and then have a drop the following year?
Go look at saints 2020 season and dockers 2022 season.

Saints didnt play finals from 2012-19. Made finals. Beat the dogs in an Elim final in 2020. They didnt make finals in 2021.

Dockers didn't play finals in 2016-21. Made finals and won an Elim final also vs the dogs in 2022.

Point is, both clubs won a final and made top 6. Their reward? A harder draw...

Freos double ups this season.... Hawks and eagles. Both predicted bottom 6. The other 4 are the 2022 finalist including both 2022 grand final sides : cats, swans, dogs and Brisbane.

If crows in 2023 make finals and wins a final in 2023, dead certain you will get a harder fixture. I won't be surprised if you get both 2023 grand final sides twice .

Then injuries play a part and form and narrow losses too.

Not trying to sound bitter... It's how the system is run.

Saints didnt play finals from 2012-19. Made finals. Beat the dogs in an Elim final in 2020. They didnt make finals in 2021.

Dockers didn't play finals in 2016-21. Made finals and won an Elim final also vs the dogs in 2022.

Freos double ups this season.... Hawks and eagles. Both predicted bottom 6. The other 4 are the 2022 finalist including both 2022 grand final sides : cats, swans, dogs and Brisbane.

If crows in 2023 make finals and wins a final in 2023, dead certain you will get a harder fixture. I won't be surprised if you get both 2023 grand final sides twice .

Yes, that makes sense - will have to see if we can buck the trend.

Not true, the coaches have asked him to be more offensive
Without telling the FF his mother wears army boots, I’m not sure he can achieve this…

Exactly, preferably we don't make finals this year as although the senior players haven't performed outside of only Laird and also small cameo from Sloane, Smith and Walker, we still need to transition them outside our best 22 in the next few years.

Why do you think Crows make finals in '23 and then have a drop the following year?
Yeah that doesn't sound right. Young sides generally keep improving especially after getting beaten in a final. Also we will likely trade in players to improve us. Another 23 games of experience and another preseason make a young team better. The secret is improving the depth of the squad each year after year.

Last edited:
Yes, that makes sense - will have to see if we can buck the trend.
I hope you do...

Again.... This is the VFL... I mean AFL.

If your crows not only make finals but win a final, then you can't complain.

It would take some pressure off coach Matty nicks too.

It's a good reward after 5 years from 2018-2022 not making finals. It has been an interesting rebuild too.

Not many blokes are left from that period where crows won finals in 2015-7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Every team burns a top 10 pick? How about another pick in the teens in Gallucci?

And a pick 9 that in the fourth year are hoping what we saw on the weekend he can continue and another pick in the teens who is a fringe player?

What’s unproductive is creating a post that says hey we aren’t that bad, all clubs have them, without providing anything to back it up with.
From memory, there have been multiple posts over the years on here where people have looked into the details of Hamish's record and compared it across clubs. His record in those posts always seemed to stack up.

And no, I'm not going to go find one of them.

I hope you do...

Again.... This is the VFL... I mean AFL.

If your crows not only make finals but win a final, then you can't complain.

It would take some pressure off coach Matty nicks too.

It's a good reward after 5 years from 2018-2022 not making finals. It has been an interesting rebuild too.

Not many blokes are left from that period where crows won finals in 2015-7.
Looking back, I guess the club stepped off the edge from 2018 and went forward keeping (A) some veterans (Walker, Sloane, Laird, Smith, ...) and (B) recent drafted youth (Fogarty, Jones, Worrell, Schoenberg, Butts, Gollant, ... unfortunate McAsey didn't work out) and encouraged a bunch of players to seek new homes.

Then the (C) new crop of players from drafts in 2020/21/22 (Thilthorpe, Rachele, Soligo, ...) will dictate when we start our upswing. I guess when you do a deep rebuild you spend a few seasons near bottom and try and get your (C) group as good as you can identify/draft with the picks you have and who's available.

Once the (C) players get several seasons in and develop enough to be competitive at AFL level and club start bringing in established talent (Dawson, Rankine), we should then start to mix it with the middle pack of clubs and knocking on finals like where we're at now. I think we've done about as well as we can (as a non-Victorian club).

For me, it's list profile

Elderly statesmen like Walker, Sloane, Smith retire/significant drop off.

More attention put onto our youth, they struggle a little while they're adapting.

HOWEVER, after 1-2 years where they learn to adapt, we're stronger.

I'd say right now we're 50/50 on finals or not. And I agree, miss in 2024. But 2025 onwards. I feel we'll be quite good.

You have to look at first rounders as that’s where generally the elite talent is. You’ve also got more players to choose from, so it’s very costly to miss these players and given the number of players to choose from you shouldn’t.

To stuff up pick 6 on McAsey when you have a player of Serongs quality is crucial and who knows could be the difference between a flag or not. Can you imagine our midfield with Serong in it?

How about the half a dozen of quality afl players picked up after Gallucci.
The whole ‘could picking McAsey over someone else be the difference between a premiership’ argument is pointless. You could do the same for any team. We are not at all unique for blowing first round draft picks.

From 2004-2018 Richmond wasted the following first round draft picks. All of these picks could have contributed to their premierships. None of them did

Pick 4: Richard Tambling
Pick 12: Danny Meyer
Pick 16: Adam Pattison
Pick 20: Dean Polo

Pick 8: Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls

Pick 8: Ty Vickery

Pick 19: Ben Griffiths

Pick 6: Reece Conca

Pick 12: Ben Lennon

Pick 12: Corey Ellis

Pick 20: Riley Collier-Dawkins

They also traded a pick 19 for each of Jordan McMahon in 2007 and Chris Yarran in 2015.

Some of these guys were alright but I would argue none lived up to their pick.

By my count that’s 13 first round picks wasted over a 15 year period, almost 1 per year. Despite that massive pile of s**t, Richmond still achieved what they did. Go look at any premiership team and you’ll find multiple busts in the years leading up. A team doesn’t need to get every early pick right, they just need to nail enough of them.

Tdlr; Richmond screwed a whole lot of first round picks and still won 3 premierships

Last edited:
The whole ‘could picking McAsey over someone else be the difference between a premiership’ argument is pointless. You could do the same for any team. We are not at all unique for blowing first round draft picks.

From 2004-2018 Richmond wasted the following first round draft picks. All of these picks could have contributed to their premierships. None of them did

They also traded a pick 19 for each of Jordan McMahon in 2007 and Chris Yarran in 2015.

By my count that’s 13 first round picks wasted over a 15 year period, almost 1 per year. Despite that massive pile of s**t, Richmond still achieved what they did. Go look at any premiership team and you’ll find multiple busts in the years leading up. A team doesn’t need to get every early pick right, they just need to nail enough of them.

Tdlr; Richmond screwed a whole lot of first round picks and still won 3 premierships
Question, did Richmond keep their recruiter from 2004? Was he behind the premiership squad they built?

And I’m not sure this actually helps build your case, 2004 and they won their first flag in 2017, you happy for our rebuild to take 13 years?

I’m sorry you went to so much effort.

And...

Alex Rance is a shining example of just how beneficial a priority pick can prove to be for an AFL club.

The man now widely regarded as the best key defender of league football’s modern era, was Richmond’s compensation for having finished last in season 2007 with just three wins and a draw.

The Tigers were given a priority pick at the end of the first round of the 2007 national draft, and couldn’t believe their luck when the athletic, young Western Australian tall defender was still available.

They had closely tracked Rance’s advancement throughout what was a fine 2007 season for him.

He excelled for WA in the under-18 national championships, was subsequently selected in the under-18 All-Australian team, and also made his senior debut for WAFL club Swan Districts.

And...

And...

Alex Rance is a shining example of just how beneficial a priority pick can prove to be for an AFL club.

The man now widely regarded as the best key defender of league football’s modern era, was Richmond’s compensation for having finished last in season 2007 with just three wins and a draw.

The Tigers were given a priority pick at the end of the first round of the 2007 national draft, and couldn’t believe their luck when the athletic, young Western Australian tall defender was still available.

They had closely tracked Rance’s advancement throughout what was a fine 2007 season for him.

He excelled for WA in the under-18 national championships, was subsequently selected in the under-18 All-Australian team, and also made his senior debut for WAFL club Swan Districts.

And...

And did they keep the same recruiter all the way from 2004?

And are you happy for the rebuild to take 13 years to win a flag?

And did they keep the same recruiter all the way from 2004?

And are you happy for the rebuild to take 13 years to win a flag?

It's complicated.

They sacked their long time recruiter Francis Jackson after 2016, he'd been there 10 years or so.

But also he drafted most of their premiership players: Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin, Rance, Martin, Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Grigg, Ellis, Vlastuin, McIntosh, Butler, Short, Castagna, Lambert, Rioli, Broad, Townsend, Caddy, Nankervis, Prestia, Bolton, Graham were all his recruiting.

He didn't recruit Balta, Baker, Pickett or Lynch

Despite winning on guys like Martin he also had that long list of fails like Vickery, Griffiths, Conca, Lennon, Yarran, McMahon and Corey Ellis

Last edited:
Back