• Wayne Milera

• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Taylor Walker

• Reilly O'Brien

• Jordon Butts

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet when Pedlar tried a shot from 50m out against GWS he had play-on called on him cause the umpire didn't believe he'd make the distance.
Which is fine if it’s consistent.

Also in Vineys case not only was he never making the distance he actually stopped mid routine doing absolutely nothing, blatantly milking the clock.

Umpires need to cut through the bullshit, call play on.

Last edited:
There's no doubt he isn't a pure crumbing forward.

But what makes him dangerous is his speed, power and leap. He's also a good tackler. The reason why this works for him is he rarely plays on a tall defender that's trying to outmuscle him.

And that's how we want him to play, because it works to his strengths. We don't want to have him play head to head on a Steven May type. If he's getting that type of physical attention he doesn't have the strength or size to break away.

If we played him as a genuine KPF he would get destroyed. He's only 186cm and 80kg
Have you guys worked out who played on McAdam yet ?

Saw on the replay commentators even remarked it was a long 30 seconds at that.
Went back and had a look with a stopwatch.

Umpire blows whistle for free kick - 0:00
Umpire blows whistle a second time - 0:02
Umpire blows "25 second" move it on whistle - 0:36
Viney finally starts approach - 0:39

Edited to add: Had another look, his total stationary time was 18 seconds. He stood at the top of his mark for 18 whole seconds before taking a step.

Last edited:
Which is fine if it’s consistent.

Also in Vineys case not only was he never making the distance he actually stopped mid routine doing absolutely nothing, blatantly milking the clock.

Umpires need to cut through the bullshit, call play on.
and the fact he had moved well off the mark!

What about how the umpire gave him a full 30 on set shot that was never making the distance? That was taking the piss.

That's something I hate about the game but I don't know how to combat it without over umpiring. If you clearly imply that you're taking a shot at goal, and after 25-30 seconds you just pop it up 15m out from goal, that's bullshit and is time wasting.

It shits me and at times would love to see the player penalised if they clearly indicate they're taking a shot but then pass off after 25 seconds, but I don't think you can without giving the umpires more to * up.

I don’t know what it was for
Below the knees I think, but it didn't seem like it was there to me.

Was part of a series of pretty weird umpiring decisions all in the one sequence. Sloane marked the resulting free and got an extremely harsh play on call for moving about 6 inches off his line, and then Langdon intercepted Sloane's kick and was tackled by Milera and threw the ball out with no free. Only resulted in a behind but all three decisions seemed pretty dreadful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's something I hate about the game but I don't know how to combat it without over umpiring. If you clearly imply that you're taking a shot at goal, and after 25-30 seconds you just pop it up 15m out from goal, that's bullshit and is time wasting.

It shits me and at times would love to see the player penalised if they clearly indicate they're taking a shot but then pass off after 25 seconds, but I don't think you can without giving the umpires more to * up.

I'm in a similar mind, if a player indicates he is going for goal and gets the 30 seconds he is getting an advantage.

If he then passes off he has abused that advantage and it should be a free against "insufficient goal intent".

If he doesn't make the distance or miskicks it - play on.

If he passes or pops it up 20m in front of the goal - free against.

Pretty simples.

Gawn when in top form pants all the AFL rucks and the last 2 week's without Grundy eating up his on ball time he's back to the Maxxy of old.
ROB or for that matter Strachan are never going to be able to beat Maxxy unless he has a real bad day...as with most oppo rucks the best outcome is to nullify him to some degree.

A young athletic development ruck is a list need almost as important as bringing in an A Grade mid looking several years into the future.
A. We already have a young, athletic ruck on the list.

B. Elite rucks are a luxury, not a necessity.

Geelong won a premiership with Stanley.

Richmond won 3 premierships with Nankervis

Hawthorn won 3 premierships with Hale and McEvoy, before that Campbell and Renouf.

Sydney won a premiership with Mumford and Pyke.

I just don’t see the need to go chasing a star ruck when we have a very serviceable option in ROB.

Hawthorn won 3 premierships with Hale and McEvoy, before that Campbell and Renouf.

I just don’t see the need to go chasing a star ruck when we have a very serviceable option in ROB.
This young athletic ruck you talk of?

And don't tell me Riley Thilthorpe...you didn't pony up the kind of draft capital we paid for Riley Thilthorpe to be our leading ruck...we paid the kind of draft capital you pay for a prospective elite Key Forward or prospective elite midfielder.

ROB and Strachan are neither young or athletic!!!!

And don't tell me Riley Thilthorpe...you didn't pony up the kind of draft capital we paid for Riley Thilthorpe to be our leading ruck...we paid the kind of draft capital you pay for a prospective elite Key Forward or prospective elite midfielder.

Yes I meant Riley Thilthorpe.

That’s my point, you don’t spend that draft capital on a ruck. Just saying if you really think it’s as much of a need as another elite mid, we already have TT as an option.

And this is the reason I’m keen to go after Moyle in the 2024 offseason

Young, and good enough to be an AFL ruck (and we don’t need to worry about drafting one this year)

View attachment 1756755

That's the thing with the passage of time.
This was a perfect example of umpiring bias/BS. Both were going fairly at the ball and it should have just been called “play on”. If we’re to believe head impact is sacrosanct then Worrell deserved the free, as he wasn’t even sliding to get the ball!

I recall a 5-10 minute patch of umpiring bias bordering on match-fixing, just when we had drawn even in the last quarter. Every 50/50 call went the Dee’s way and the ones that could have went to us were ignored. It was both pathetic to the point I was laughing harder than I was mad.

Yes I meant Riley Thilthorpe.

That’s my point, you don’t spend that draft capital on a ruck. Just saying if you really think it’s as much of a need as another elite mid, we already have TT as an option.
Don't you understand I'm not suggesting paying a top 10 pick for a ruckman, very very few of the good ruckman have gone much higher than mid draft Max Gawn pick 34, Sean Darcy pick 38, Jarrod Witt's pick 67, Todd Goldstein pick 37.

Though I doubt if Hamish Ogilvie and Phil Bunn had got their way and we'd drafted Tim English at pick 16 instead of Jordan Gallucci which was their intention before overruled by then coach Don Pyke there would be too many on here complaining.

Contrary to your belief I think it's sound list management to draft a young developing ruckman with a mid to later draft pick knowing full well they'll take some time.

And this is the draft to do that with this being a very strong draft for young ruckmen with local lad Taylor Goad and Will Green likely available in that range.

Last edited:
This is 1 your looking for

This guy is a complete hack.

• No proof of any credentials.
  • Gives explanations without reference to specific rules, and when shown the rule gets the interpretation wrong, then adopts others' explanations in future decisions as if it were his own and as if his previous explanation didn't exist.
  • Gives 'ratings' for games based on some unknown formula without providing any data or explanation (presumably to prevent the proper scrutiny).
  • Gives explanations which have no correlation with the words of the rules, and then when challenged claims that his explanation is based on a 'direction' given to the umpires, despite not being an AFL umpire and privy to such directions.
The guy is a hack, and is no better than an average fan guessing the rules (often worse).

This guy is a complete hack.

• No proof of any credentials.
  • Gives explanations without reference to specific rules, and when shown the rule gets the interpretation wrong, then adopts others' explanations in future decisions as if it were his own and as if his previous explanation didn't exist.
  • Gives 'ratings' for games based on some unknown formula without providing any data or explanation (presumably to prevent the proper scrutiny).
  • Gives explanations which have no correlation with the words of the rules, and then when challenged claims that his explanation is based on a 'direction' given to the umpires, despite not being an AFL umpire and privy to such directions.
The guy is a hack, and is no better than an average fan guessing the rules (often worse).

Sound like an AFL umpire to me

Back