• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate..

He’s a young kid. You can see him look around when he got up to take the free kick.. he made a judgment call not to go sideways based on what he could see (not on what we can/could see in hindsight)..

In the end he went long into our forward line to a contest… where our forwards, and everyone else that had run forward, allowed it to be waltz straight back out.
Sure, he's young - but it was the wrong decision to kick long. It was a badly directed long kick. He should have taken the short kick to the wing.

I think the Crows coaching staff would be as or more disappointed in our inability to force a stoppage upfield as they would Soligo kicking long
And if there’s an option on the behind goals footage ( which is only way to tell ) they can see they might say ‘maybe next time you could hit this kick ‘

Agree with you the issue was more the not being able to force a contest I50 when we had good numbers there

Prefer that I50 kick to a pressured sideways 30m kick if The option wasn’t clear cut

Malcolm Blight reckons we should send keays to Daicos

Anything to say to Malc ?
As a tagger?.. or to play off him in a “shoot out” style 1v1 to see who wins?.. and hope that its Keays with his gut running that can do the most damage of the two?..

Being Malcolm.. he puts attacking before anything else so its probably the later..

Bold strategy.. lets see if it works.

As a tagger?.. or to play off him in a “shoot out” style 1v1 to see who wins?.. and hope that its Keays with his gut running that can do the most damage of the two?..

Being Malcolm.. he puts attacking before anything else so its probably the later..

Bold strategy.. lets see if it works.
FWIW I think we need a 2-3 player approach

Keays starts and tries to get offensive on him on occasion ( only works if we win enough clean midfield ball )

Murphy gets some time but is more defensive than Keays

Peds also gets a couple short 5-10 bursts and is physical on him

30 possessions and 0 goals would be a win , especially if we kick 1-3 on him

Sure, he's young - but it was the wrong decision to kick long. It was a badly directed long kick. He should have taken the short kick to the wing.
And if he stuffs the kick people would be yelling that he should have gone long.
I don’t think even any of the review shows picked on it either.

There was a big difference to the way we handled the final minutes compared to Collingwood. Soligo decided to kick to a contest, while Collingwood looked to keep possession and run down the clock. I was expecting soligo to try that but he didn't. Questions should be asked why not.

I think it's just the moment got too big for the kid.

If I want to talk about ben I will.. he’s a weak link.

Why do you care if I do?.

And I have you know I wear size 11 and a half boots!..

Small is a relative term.

Ben is not a weak link - but more importantly, Ben is not related to the point we were discussing regarding Soligo's kick.

Why do I care - I just wish you'd find something else to post about because you post a lot AND it gets annoying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small is a relative term.

Ben is not a weak link - but more importantly, Ben is not related to the point we were discussing regarding Soligo's kick.

Why do I care - I just wish you'd find something else to post about because you post a lot AND it gets annoying.
Well sh*t.. I’m sorry I’m on a public forum and never thought to concern myself with the fact that mr Baldandbroke might get annoyed if I post my own personal opinions…

I’ll have to remember that next time, your highness..

See.. i read repeated comments from others on here pumping benny tyres up all the time.. But strangely I never feel the need to tell them to stop talking about him.. in fact i tend to really only talk about ben when others bring him up first and try and claim he’s something he’s not.

Case in point.. this current conversation about Ben.. strange that it seems a few are allowed to start talking about ben and how he should be used to tag daicos on the weekend.. but when I turn around and respond with “but ben actually isnt a tagger and never has been”.. I get told to please stop discussing Ben cause “you constantly talk about him”

Seems the Ben keays fan club in here only want to hear ben be discussed by those that only have positive things to say about him.

Same with the discussion on soligo’s kick into the forward line.. the ben keays and murphy lovers in here tell us we need these two in our forward line to pressure and shut down the oppositions Half backs.. stop them from getting the ball out of our F50.. its so important they constantly tell us.. we need these two in the side they squeal..

Yet they then go silent when a HB like Jarman Impey runs around like an unregistered dog ALL game…

Where were these two important defensive pressure forwards that are sooooo important then?.. neither of them went anywhere near doing the job we are told (by the keays and murph lovies) they are supposedly in the team to do.

Its all soligo’s fault that, even with oodles of time to prepare themselves.. NO one was able to impact that contest in our forward line. Not one finger layed on it.

I just wish the same fingers that seem to always be so quickly and easily pointed at our youth when they do something wrong were equally pointed at our veterans and leadership group when they fail..

Great picture thanks for that, its exactly what I was saying earlier. We should have either gone backwards or kicked to a player on their own and not go deep forward to a contested situation.

Nicks needs to address this hopefully before we are in another situation like this again.

Great picture thanks for that, its exactly what I was saying earlier. We should have either gone backwards or kicked to a player on their own and not go deep forward to a contested situation.

Nicks needs to address this hopefully before we are in another situation like this again.
Off memory the shadow down bottom in that pic was chayce Jones all alone too, another that looked an easy option though without full ground shot hard to say for sure.

Off memory the shadow down bottom in that pic was chayce Jones all alone too, another that looked an easy option though without full ground shot hard to say for sure.
I just couldnt believe the full blooded kick forward given the time left.

I dont think any other team would have taken that option.

Possibly thought a Tex /Fog/TT mark anywhere near 50m would be enough to ice the game and take a shot at goal.

I just couldnt believe the full blooded kick forward given the time left.

I dont think any other team would have taken that option.

Possibly thought a Tex /Fog/TT mark anywhere near 50m would be enough to ice the game and take a shot at goal.

Eh, there are a few teams you could almost guarantee the vast majority of players would. Port and Carlton in particular stand out seeing they're two teams who tend to wither away in pressure scenarios.

That said, considering we had set up an outlet kick, I think Soligo just panicked and went for territory. A good time to learn that lesson.

Eh, there are a few teams you could almost guarantee the vast majority of players would. Port and Carlton in particular stand out seeing they're two teams who tend to wither away in pressure scenarios.

That said, considering we had set up an outlet kick, I think Soligo just panicked and went for territory. A good time to learn that lesson.
I think the other issue is that there was immense pressure all game, so Soligo may have felt it was more risky to do a short pass which may backfire big time if the kick goes astray. A long kick wasn’t necessarily a bad option, but the kick needed to end in a pack and ideally ended in a ball up and eating up good amount of seconds.

I do believe the team is improving with new set plays so we will be better at killing the final minutes and make it a bit more safe than the last game.

With 1 min to go the right play is to get as much territory as possible and force a stoppage. The game would've ended in our front half if we didn't allow an intercept mark.

I agree - and I'd be interested to know if that's what they've been coached. It certainly seemed that way when you look at the behind the goals vision and the way Dawson directed most of the defenders to rush forward. We weren't setting up for loose players in D50 to chip the ball around, that's for sure.

Both of the players near the top of the screen would have been flat footed and Hawks zone players possibly within reach

The most likely option was Rankine (I think) down the bottom right near CJ. If he changed direction back up the ground and a little wider he looked to have clear space

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back