• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You have NFI what you are talking about. Butts has been s**t for some time and is injured. He's already been dropped once and he wouldn't be playing if we had someone fit to replace him with. The only reason Nick's didn't replace Butts is because Keane isn't fit yet and Borlase isn't up to it. A key backs role is to defend and attack. You sound like you think a key backs only job is to punch the ball over the line. Yeah that was good 40 years ago. The club would be speaking to managers of elite key backs as we speak with the intention of trading one in end of the year.
Aren't we about to extend Butts' contract by 3 years?

You have NFI what you are talking about. Butts has been s**t for some time and is injured. He's already been dropped once and he wouldn't be playing if we had someone fit to replace him with. The only reason Nick's didn't replace Butts is because Keane isn't fit yet and Borlase isn't up to it. A key backs role is to defend and attack. You sound like you think a key backs only job is to punch the ball over the line. Yeah that was good 40 years ago. The club would be speaking to managers of elite key backs as we speak with the intention of trading one in end of the year.
The KPD job is to stop the KPF from getting possession to allow them to kick goal and punching the ball is effective way of doing this. Butts has actually developed a lot quicker than what you expect for a KPD so I wouldn't write him off.

The KPD job is to stop the KPF from getting possession to allow them to kick goal and punching the ball is effective way of doing this. Butts has actually developed a lot quicker than what you expect for a KPD so I wouldn't write him off.
Yeah we all know that the role of a KPD is to stop the opposition kicking goals. Their role is also to iniate our offence so that ball ends up st the other end of the ground. That's called offence as you need to score to win. I haven't written off Butts but he's out of form and looks injured. Anyone knows we don't have great depth in this position since Talia left. If Murray goes down we are completely screwed. If you look at the best KPD's they are just as good at attacking as defending. We have one in Murray but one is not enough.

Yeah we all know that the role of a KPD is to stop the opposition kicking goals. Their role is also to iniate our offence so that ball ends up st the other end of the ground. That's called offence as you need to score to win. I haven't written off Butts but he's out of firm and looks injured. Anyone knows we don't have great depth in this position since Talia left. If Murray goes down we are completely screwed. If you look at the best KPD's they are just as good at attacking as defending. We have one in Murray but one is not enough.
The number one role of a KPD is to stop his KPF opponent kicking goals isn't it when all is said and done.

Not too many Nathan Bock style KPD's running around in the game at this time especially when most teams play team defence and rarely play one on one?

What current team have a KPD as their metres gained type defender?

Borlaise was named as an emergency for the game against Freo to cover for Butts should he not have gotten over his injury niggles.

Butts isn’t quite right and Borlaise was seen as next best KPD currently available.

Yeah we all know that the role of a KPD is to stop the opposition kicking goals. Their role is also to iniate our offence so that ball ends up st the other end of the ground. That's called offence as you need to score to win. I haven't written off Butts but he's out of form and looks injured. Anyone knows we don't have great depth in this position since Talia left. If Murray goes down we are completely screwed. If you look at the best KPD's they are just as good at attacking as defending. We have one in Murray but one is not enough.
Michalanney.

Michalanney.
Yep he's a gun but undersized against the big gorilla's. I reckon Muzz and Michalanney are our best defenders. That's crazy after Michalanney has only played 4 games. I think the defence will be a lot better when Worrell is back in and Keane is fit. Hopefully he plays like Muzz.

I think the best defence would be
Jones Keane/Butts Doedee
Worrell Murray Michalanney

Hinge on a wing and Dawson in the middle.

That leaves one of Smith/Milera/Parnell as your 7th defender. If a team has more smalls you play Parnell which means you could put Michalanney, Jones, Parnell on them. If Doedee left you could slot Worrell into his spot and bring Hinge back to half back. Redman would be worth looking into if he wants to come home as well.

Last edited:
MM was a F/S so you can’t really count him..

and if you’re gonna start looking at all the later picks and list names like you have then you need to include the names of all the failed later picks too.. not just cherry pick the good one’s…

Include your poholke’s and your signarello’s etc..

Just like I went through the 1st round picks and included the good and bad..
I think the point I’m making is that of course there will be failures. Every team has them - but what is the pass mark? Because I reckon we’re probably doing all right over the last ten years, and doing very well over the last five. In comparison with other teams.
And if that’s the case then going back and saying ‘but look at Macasey’ is unproductive because every team has Macaseys.

Too be fair, only Sloane is in a better position there. And because Schoenberg is too close to take a mark, Keays would have to kick over the top of him to get to Sloane, necessitating a precision slow looping kick that would probably be far more difficult than the shot at goal
There looks to be an acre of space to the left of Schoenberg that Sloane could run into, unless he has a Freo player on his hammer. However, depending on the direction Keays was running/looking, he might not have had time to spot it.

Should have been a handball to Schoenberg, who handballs to Sloane running straight at goal
IIRC he was running at goal away from Schoenberg when he picked it up, in that time to slow down and turn around to handpass it he might've been caught.

Sholl should've been the option I reckon.

I think the point I’m making is that of course there will be failures. Every team has them - but what is the pass mark? Because I reckon we’re probably doing all right over the last ten years, and doing very well over the last five. In comparison with other teams.
And if that’s the case then going back and saying ‘but look at Macasey’ is unproductive because every team has Macaseys.
Really? Every team burns a top 10 pick? How about another pick in the teens in Gallucci?

And a pick 9 that in the fourth year are hoping what we saw on the weekend he can continue and another pick in the teens who is a fringe player?

What’s unproductive is creating a post that says hey we aren’t that bad, all clubs have them, without providing anything to back it up with.

Really? Every team burns a top 10 pick? How about another pick in the teens in Gallucci?

And a pick 9 that in the fourth year are hoping what we saw on the weekend he can continue and another pick in the teens who is a fringe player?

What’s unproductive is creating a post that says hey we aren’t that bad, all clubs have them, without providing anything to back it up with.
Richmond:
2008 Pick 8 - Ty Vickery (9 years before flag)
2009 Pick 19 - Ben Griffiths (8)
2010 Pick 6 - Reece Conca (7)
2013 Pick 12 - Ben Lennon (4)
2014 Pick 12 -Corey Ellis (3)
2015 Pick 19 - Trade for Chris Yarren (2)

Wasted a few picks prior to that as well, plus some other first rounders spent on serviceable yet replaceable best 22 players.

This isn't justifying any of our failed picks, rather showing that teams can be successful and waste a lot of picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See above

I don’t care if Butts doesn’t get a possession - that’s not what he is there for. The only thing to measure Butts on is his win rate for 50/50’s and how many goals his opponent kicks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It’s better for him to have very few touches. It means either it’s not coming down there much (wishful thinking) or that our rebounding is being done by our rebounding defenders.

And by the way - what happened to Gallucci? At the end of one year he was looking really good and then he suddenly wasn’t in the team and then he was cut. Was there some off field stuff?

And by the way - what happened to Gallucci? At the end of one year he was looking really good and then he suddenly wasn’t in the team and then he was cut. Was there some off field stuff?
We carried him through a snapped Achilles injury, and he was delisted years after.

Also I think I've mentioned it before the reason I think we didn't persist with him was he was a massive party boy, fell in with the wrong crowd and he spent his weekend dropping pills in clubs.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

FIGJAM complex/

Had a reasonably good start to his WAFL career on the weekend/

We carried him through a snapped Achilles injury, and he was delisted years after.

Also I think I've mentioned it before the reason I think we didn't persist with him was he was a massive party boy, fell in with the wrong crowd and he spent his weekend dropping pills in clubs.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
That's a massive change from who seem a very professional and dedicated draftee entering the AFL system but probably explain why no one signed him despite training with a few AFL clubs.

I think the best defence would be
Jones Keane/Butts Doedee
Worrell Murray Michalanney

Hinge on a wing and Dawson in the middle
Interesting reply, thanks.
I watched Keane closely vs PA (weak opposition) a couple weeks ago. I think he needs some time to get to know the game better, positioning etc. and to build up his tank. Burgess will work on the latter.
Jones seems to play better when he roams a bit; his tackling/smothering are real assets. Seems to love aggressive contact; don't be fooled by the baby-face.

Michalanney: I can't believe he's a four-game player. Has a great footy brain and very clean skills. Strong mark.
At one stage (1st quarter?) he went low to take possession and in the same motion, while horizontal, fired out a handpass.
Brilliant, amazing for a lanky 191cms rookie (compare to EH who still looks and moves like a gangly praying mantis).
When he gets some more meat on his bones and his confidence grows even more, he will be unstoppable.
I'll stick my neck out. Has AA potential, with Rankine and Thilthorpe.

Seems as if hamish struggles in the 5-18 pick range.
If we can just get someone else to take the reigns for them, we’ll be sweet.
Seems to be 50/50. Fog, Pedlar, Doedee all go alright, even Lever was taken in that range

Missed badly on a few though, obviously, which is less than ideal

Seems to be 50/50. Fog, Pedlar, Doedee all go alright, even Lever was taken in that range

Missed badly on a few though, obviously, which is less than ideal
You go through the picks 11 - 20 for the last 2 decades, there's been some really horrible misses by most clubs, we're not Robinson Crusoe in that regard.

Back