• Lachlan Sholl

• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

For this story to be true we'd have to have won a game against Collingwood in our history

Managed to find it, round 17 of 2016 where we won 97-69 at Adelaide Oval, I don't have odds but I'd say we were expected to win given ladder positions. Votes went

Brad Crouch (ADEL)
Tom Lynch (ADEL)
Rory Sloane (ADEL)
Daniel Talia (ADEL)
Ricky Henderson (ADEL)
Jarryd Lyons (ADEL)
Adam Treloar (COLL)
Ben Sinclair (COLL)
Brodie Grundy (COLL)
Taylor Adams (COLL)

Buckley was pissed off about something, I recall that being the vibe post game, I just don't remember what. It was the first time the votes had been 100% split though.

Managed to find it, round 17 of 2016 where we won 97-69 at Adelaide Oval, I don't have odds but I'd say we were expected to win given ladder positions. Votes went

Brad Crouch (ADEL)
Tom Lynch (ADEL)
Rory Sloane (ADEL)
Daniel Talia (ADEL)
Ricky Henderson (ADEL)
Jarryd Lyons (ADEL)
Adam Treloar (COLL)
Ben Sinclair (COLL)
Brodie Grundy (COLL)
Taylor Adams (COLL)

Buckley was pissed off about something, I recall that being the vibe post game, I just don't remember what. It was the first time the votes had been 100% split though.
Was that the one so loud the siren didn’t get heard?

Was that the one so loud the siren didn’t get heard?
No, that was Rd 9, 2014 - Way I remember that game was it was Charlie Cameron's debut.

Heard someone suggest that when the siren goes all the LED screens around the ground should turn red, then it’s easy to see from video when it occurred.
Use them for something useful instead of advertising for 5 seconds? Crazy talk.

Sure..

but did you like Serong’s game at all?.. probably the best mid out there in that game if we’re honest with ourselves…

went two picks later in the 2019 draft than Fisher McAsey..

kossie Pickett went six picks later
Will Day went seven picks later..

Hamish gets an F- and probably deserves a very hard punch in the face for that draft..

it’s real vomit inducing stuff.

the Hamish detractors have plenty of evidence to suggest he ain’t as fantastic as some like to make out.

especially when it comes to early picks..

you maybe wanna go look at other players taken after guys like Milera, Jones, McHenry and Gallucci?.. take a box of tissues with you..
I would like to know - given that predicting the future is impossible, what is the pass mark for drafting? It can’t be 100%, obviously, that’s completely unreasonable. So, over a ten year period say, what’s acceptable? 50% of your drafts getting into the senior team? More? 60%?
But whatever the figure is it’s not 100%.
So is it really a worthwhile exercise to continually focus on the misses? Which are going to happen.

Quite a few players were on their own in the corridor screaming at him to pass it

View attachment 1655403
Too be fair, only Sloane is in a better position there. And because Schoenberg is too close to take a mark, Keays would have to kick over the top of him to get to Sloane, necessitating a precision slow looping kick that would probably be far more difficult than the shot at goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too be fair, only Sloane is in a better position there. And because Schoenberg is too close to take a mark, Keays would have to kick over the top of him to get to Sloane, necessitating a precision slow looping kick that would probably be far more difficult than the shot at goal

Should have been a handball to Schoenberg, who handballs to Sloane running straight at goal

All your bads were good except butts . Harsh on shoey. Had 5 touches in the one quarter that he played.
Schoenberg? Didn't really notice him. I would leave him in the SANFL until he sorts out his deficiencies. Butts is consistently getting low touches every week. I would make the change but I doubt Nick's will unless he can't run.

This.
I like Ned. His effort/endeavour cannot be faulted, but it's got to be about long-term future.
If it's a choice between McHenry and Pedlar, say, the question is "Both make skill errors, but who has the better long-term potential based on their current development and game impact?".
If both are fit and rarin' to go, but there's only one spot, I'd select Pedlar with McHenry as very handy/useful depth.
Break-glass-in-case-of-Emergency.
Pedlar is taller, heavier, and has a more solid, nuggety build. Added feature: He's from SA.
I feel Ned will end up leaving if he doesn't get regular games. I believe that game he played on the weekend should lead to some decent offers from other clubs. His trade value has increased as well which is good for us. Not saying he doesn't have a place in the afl but I think he is surplus to our needs and won't get consistent games with us.

I would like to know - given that predicting the future is impossible, what is the pass mark for drafting? It can’t be 100%, obviously, that’s completely unreasonable. So, over a ten year period say, what’s acceptable? 50% of your drafts getting into the senior team? More? 60%?
But whatever the figure is it’s not 100%.
So is it really a worthwhile exercise to continually focus on the misses? Which are going to happen.
I guess pass marks are different for everyone..

some of us obviously mark the club more harsher than others.. we all have different standards and expectations.

let’s look at the last few years of 1st rounders this club has picked up

W. Milera - sure, he’s missed a couple of years through injury, but even before that was he really living up to the expectations of a first round pick?.. most would say no.

Tom Doedee - same year as Milera - first rounder worthy?.. probably.. but, some might say otherwise. Was terrible last year.

J. Gallucci - bust

D.Fogarty - definitely worth a first - but was also a no brained really.. the crows would’ve been surprised he was still on the board at pick 12

2018- jones and McHenry in the “super draft“ - not busts but neither have really proven 5 years later that they were worth the 1st rounders used on them..

2019 - mcasey - bust
Pedlar - jury still out due to small sample size of AFL games but looks promisin.

2020- TT.. well we did have pick 1 so it’s pretty hard to not get that right

2021 - Rachele - tick

2022 we traded for the gun of all guns.

so
  • 5 players (Milera, gooch, jones, McHenry and mcasey) that you wouldn’t say were worth the first rounder that was spent on them.
  • 1 (Doedee) that is borderline depending on who you ask,
  • 1 (Pedlar) that is still unproven but looking promising
  • 3 (fog, Rachele and TT) that have proven beyond doubt the first rounder spent on them was well worth it.

so 4 (maybe 5) out of 10.

it’s not really that good looking a scorecard if you ask me.

swap mcasey in 2019 for one of Pickett, Serong or Day
and it then becomes a definite 5/10 maybe a 6/10…

the next 4 picks after Gallucci were Todd Marshall, Jarrod Berry, Sam Powell-pepper and Tim English.. all four are best 22’s at their respective clubs.. is Gallucci even playing football anymore?

Last edited:
I guess pass marks are different for everyone..

some of us obviously mark the club more harsher than others.. we all have different standards and expectations.

let’s look at the last few years of 1st rounders this club has picked up

W. Milera - sure, he’s missed a couple of years through injury, but even before that was he really living up to the expectations of a first round pick?.. most would say no.

Tom Doedee - same year as Milera - first rounder worthy?.. probably.. but, some might say otherwise. Was terrible last year.

J. Gallucci - bust

D.Fogarty - definitely worth a first - but was also a no brained really.. the crows would’ve been surprised he was still on the board at pick 12

2018- jones and McHenry in the “super draft“ - not busts but neither have really proven 5 years later that they were worth the 1st rounders used on them..

2019 - mcasey - bust
Pedlar - jury still out due to small sample size of AFL games but looks promisin.

2020- TT.. well we did have pick 1 so it’s pretty hard to not get that right

2021 - Rachele - tick

2022 we traded for the gun of all guns.

so
  • 5 players (Milera, gooch, jones, McHenry and mcasey) that you wouldn’t say were worth the first rounder that was spent on them.
  • 1 (Doedee) that is borderline depending on who you ask,
  • 1 (Pedlar) that is still unproven but looking promising
  • 3 (fog, Rachele and TT) that have proven beyond doubt the first rounder spent on them was well worth it.

so 4 (maybe 5) out of 10.

it’s not really that good looking a scorecard if you ask me.

swap mcasey in 2019 for one of Pickett, Serong or Day
and it then becomes a definite 5/10 maybe a 6/10…
I think you're distorting things by only looking at first rounders. If you include Michallanny, Berry, Soligo, Worrell, Nankervis, Shoenberg, Dowling and Bond.May have missed one or two. Then it's starting to look pretty good.

I think you're distorting things by only looking at first rounders. If you include Michallanny, Berry, Soligo, Worrell, Nankervis, Shoenberg, Dowling and Bond.May have missed one or two. Then it's starting to look pretty good.
You have to look at first rounders as that’s where generally the elite talent is. You’ve also got more players to choose from, so it’s very costly to miss these players and given the number of players to choose from you shouldn’t.

To stuff up pick 6 on McAsey when you have a player of Serongs quality is crucial and who knows could be the difference between a flag or not. Can you imagine our midfield with Serong in it?

How about the half a dozen of quality afl players picked up after Gallucci.

MM was a F/S so you can’t really count him..

and if you’re gonna start looking at all the later picks and list names like you have then you need to include the names of all the failed later picks too.. not just cherry pick the good one’s…

Include your poholke’s and your signarello’s etc..

Just like I went through the 1st round picks and included the good and bad..

Schoenberg? Didn't really notice him. I would leave him in the SANFL until he sorts out his deficiencies. Butts is consistently getting low touches every week. I would make the change but I doubt Nick's will unless he can't run.

I don’t care if Butts doesn’t get a possession - that’s not what he is there for. The only thing to measure Butts on is his win rate for 50/50’s and how many goals his opponent kicks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t care if Butts doesn’t get a possession - that’s not what he is there for. The only thing to measure Butts on is his win rate for 50/50’s and how many goals his opponent kicks

Not true, the coaches have asked him to be more offensive

You have NFI what you are talking about. Butts has been s**t for some time and is injured. He's already been dropped once and he wouldn't be playing if we had someone fit to replace him with. The only reason Nick's didn't replace Butts is because Keane isn't fit yet and Borlase isn't up to it. A key backs role is to defend and attack. You sound like you think a key backs only job is to punch the ball over the line. Yeah that was good 40 years ago. The club would be speaking to managers of elite key backs as we speak with the intention of trading one in end of the year.

Last edited:
You have NFI what you are talking about. Butts has been s**t for some time and is injured. He's already been dropped once and he wouldn't be playing if we had someone fit to replace him with. The only reason Nick's didn't replace Butts is because Keane isn't fit yet and Borlase isn't up to it. A key backs role is to defend and attack. You sound like you think a key backs only job is to punch the ball over the line. Yeah that was good 40 years ago. The club would be speaking to managers of elite key backs as we speak with the intention of trading one in end of the year.
A lot of this is true. However, given Butts’ recent poor form and no worthy replacements, I’d be over the moon if he got zero disposals but kept Curnow goalless. Job done, all things considered. And you’re kidding yourself if you wouldn’t take that this Thursday.

Back