• Rory Sloane

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Riley Thilthorpe

• Taylor Walker

• Josh Worrell

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand how anyone can think Sloane had a good game. Almost all of his touches are dinky little s**t kicks that put everyone under pressure, his only decent part of this game came when it was already over. You could definitely picture the type of person who thinks he played well.

I still stand by my view that Smith doing his ACL in the 2017 prelim cost us the flag.
That and the fact they effectively put tags on lynch and laird.. completely destroying our link and run between half back and half forward..

Which wouldve been Clarko’s idea not Hardwicks.

How was it that Clarko, as the paid coach of another AFL team, was allowed to effectively come in and help Hardwick coach during the GF..

You can bet if it was pyke and the crows that Clarko went to help in 2017 that the vicco media wouldve blown up and demanded the AFL put a stop to it.. they wouldve carried on about Clarko not being on the crows soft cap salary list or something…

I don't understand how anyone can think Sloane had a good game. Almost all of his touches are dinky little s**t kicks that put everyone under pressure, his only decent part of this game came when it was already over. You could definitely picture the type of person who thinks he played well.
Were his equal game-high 6 clearances also dinky little kicks that put everyone under pressure? He had a decent game - poor first half, pretty good second half. Wouldn't be surprised if he got coaches' votes, though personally I wouldn't have him in the best 5 on the field. The way people on here are talking about it has basically no relationship to the game he actually played.

Were his equal game-high 6 clearances also dinky little kicks that put everyone under pressure? He had a decent game - poor first half, pretty good second half. Wouldn't be surprised if he got coaches' votes, though personally I wouldn't have him in the best 5 on the field. The way people on here are talking about it has basically no relationship to the game he actually played.
I think you answered your own question as to why people on here are talking about Sloanes game with this sentence..

“He had a decent game - poor first half, pretty good second half”

So…
Poor first half.. but only a “pretty good” second half..

Ask yourself.. Does that really equal “he had a decent game”?

Not in my books it doesnt.. and I wouldnt think, given he has nearly 250 games experience under his belt, anyone here could say what Sloane has dished up this year has been exceptable.

He has been very good in patches.. one good quarter here and one good quarter there.. but no full games of very good.

Now.. if he was having 3 very good quarters followed by 1 poor quarter you might have an argument against the other posters here that your comment is directed toward..

But thats not the case is it.

No.. your defending a very experienced player that is only playing “pretty good” for 25-50% of the game…

Yes I think that a poor first half and a pretty good second half equals out to a decent game. I don't particularly care how 'experienced' anyone is, I care about how much of a contribution they made to the game, unless we are speculating about what they're likely to be doing in future years. Sloane had 23 touches and 6 clearances in the second half, including an influential third term which is where the game was put to bed. That's fine. His ball use wasn't the best, which would be my main knock on his game aside from a quiet second term.

To put it another way, it was his best game in a while, probably since the Saints. As I said, would be a shot at coaches votes, and a quick scan of media coverage of the game shows people putting him in the bests. If you read this board and tried to judge his performance instead of watching the game you'd think he was in the worsts.

Sloanes liability is when the ball is in space and to the opponents advantage. He doesn't have the leg speed to influence the contest. But then it's never been a strong point.

When it's in dispute in tight he is still ok.

Whenever teams get that midfield run out he needs to be switched out of there asap.

He still has a role when it's a grind in the trenches.

Yes I think that a poor first half and a pretty good second half equals out to a decent game. I don't particularly care how 'experienced' anyone is, I care about how much of a contribution they made to the game, unless we are speculating about what they're likely to be doing in future years. Sloane had 23 touches and 6 clearances in the second half, including an influential third term which is where the game was put to bed. That's fine. His ball use wasn't the best, which would be my main knock on his game aside from a quiet second term.

To put it another way, it was his best game in a while, probably since the Saints. As I said, would be a shot at coaches votes, and a quick scan of media coverage of the game shows people putting him in the bests. If you read this board and tried to judge his performance instead of watching the game you'd think he was in the worsts.
Seriously?..

You dont think how experienced someone is matters?..

I can tell you right now I am the exact opposite..

I’m far more forgiving of a young lad, with under 50 games to his name, going missing for a quarter or two than I am if its a bloke who’s 32/33 doing it..

Because you’d expect it from a young inexperienced lad.. when a 32 year old lad with 250 games undef his belt is consistently going missing for 2-3 quarters a game.. I’m affraid its time to tell them to put the que in the rack.

Cause they arent going to improve.. they arent the future and they are on the decline and only gonna get worse..

they fast become list cloggers.

We're talking about different things. If Rachele has a quiet game or makes a series of basic skill errors, I'm happy to excuse it because he's a project. We're not expecting him to be the finished project yet, it doesn't mean that much about what he's capable of given his age. If he had a run of dreadful form and got dropped to the SANFL, it wouldn't necessarily mean anything about where his career was headed, he has plenty of time to work on his game and come back into the firsts. Those things would matter for Sloane, or even for Dawson for that matter.

But if we are evaluating how they performed yesterday against the Kangaroos in terms of whether they are worth a spot next week against Essendon, experience is irrelevant. It's one of those weird obsessions that people on places like Bigfooty have, everyone is dreaming of building some pipe dream dynasty list in 5 years and thinking anyone over 30 is useless because they won't be part of the next flag. I've even seen people on this board saying Tex should retire at the end of the season when he's in the top 3 players at the club.

For most things, I care about next week, not two years from now. Yesterday, Sloane made a solid contribution, and that would be what mattered whether he was 23 or 33.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're talking about different things. If Rachele has a quiet game or makes a series of basic skill errors, I'm happy to excuse it because he's a project. We're not expecting him to be the finished project yet, it doesn't mean that much about what he's capable of given his age. If he had a run of dreadful form and got dropped to the SANFL, it wouldn't necessarily mean anything about where his career was headed, he has plenty of time to work on his game and come back into the firsts. Those things would matter for Sloane, or even for Dawson for that matter.

But if we are evaluating how they performed yesterday against the Kangaroos in terms of whether they are worth a spot next week against Essendon, experience is irrelevant. It's one of those weird obsessions that people on places like Bigfooty have, everyone is dreaming of building some pipe dream dynasty list in 5 years and thinking anyone over 30 is useless because they won't be part of the next flag. I've even seen people on this board saying Tex should retire at the end of the season when he's in the top 3 players at the club.

For most things, I care about next week, not two years from now. Yesterday, Sloane made a solid contribution, and that would be what mattered whether he was 23 or 33.
So basically..

You care nothing for the development of our young players..

You’d rather we continue giving a 33 year old game after game over them.. cause he plays a “pretty good” quarter or half of football here and there.

Wow.

His 6 clearances weren't the dinky little kicks that put everone under pressure.

They were the 1m backwards handball to a flat footed team that put everyone under pressure.

So basically..

You’d rather we continue giving a 33 year old game after game over them.. cause he plays a “pretty good” quarter or half of football here and there.

Wow.

This is our coaches thinking therefore it is also a large proportion of peoples thinking on here.

We are meant to be rebuilding, we have an abundance of young mids to give meaningful midfield minutes to yet we persist with Sloane.

Compare him to another senior player, Tex. We have possibly one player he is keeping out, Gollant but Tex is more than delivering - his area of our team is our strength.

Sloanes area of the ground is our biggest weakness, yet we can't stop putting him in there.

Insipid, inept coaching.

So basically..

Wow.
The job of the football club is to win football games. That should be the primary criteria during selection each and every week. Unless we're gutting the list for a rebuild or the season is dead, I'm not interested in gifting games to anyone. That obviously applies to both senior and junior players.

This isn't necessarily a comment on Sloane, I think there's good arguments for not selecting him or at least moving him to the sub, particularly prior to the bye. But as far as his performance yesterday is concerned, the fact that he's an experienced player is irrelevant - he had a decent game, in the better half or so of our players.

Ugly:
Fox needs to fix their main camera at Adelaide Oval. Look at the players in comparison to the virtual scoreboard - it's not a problem with the number of pixels. Either the lens is dirty, unfocused or just damaged. The cheapskates probably either don't notice because it's not a Victorian ground, or know and don't care for the same reason.

They only replayed it because of the HTB and playing on to kick the goal
And I don't think the commentators mentioned the tackle in those terms? It looked like a pretty careful "duty of care" tackle to me, and the Roos player's head barely touched the ground. I don't have a problem with punishing sling tackles, but if a player is going to get pinged by a tackle like that we've got a problem.

(Speaking of which, IIRC the commentators talked about "careful" tackles a few times during the game.)

Missing targets with those little dinky kicks too.

Have you ever been to the Caribbean?

Only time I have drunk plenty of rum.

Went to one of their distilleries & for around $5 could drink as much as I wanted from 50+ different rums.

Was all self-service.
living in the caribbean for a while and attending a game in Kingston Jamaica I experienced something similar. all you can drink and self served spirits, wine and beer (from the self named 'beer wenches with mobile kegs on their back') all for $50 including entry to the game. even had an above ground pool which unfortunately saw a nasty deterioration in the colour of the water as the day rolled on.

Back