Toast Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we're not about Messiahs these days but I'm all-in on this guy.

There's just something about him, he's got almost a calming presence, and you get the sense that the players could not respect him any more highly. He's achieved so much in the game already and he has both their and the club's best interests at heart - it would be hard not to respect him.

I think his influence will really start to kick-in in 2020 (when I expect the group's fitness levels to really go up a level or two after a second Russell-led pre-season), but the signs are already incredible. This guy is managing player minutes to not only best look after the player's bodies, but also to give our team the best possible chance to strongly run out - and win - games.

Sure, we're still going to get injuries, but I have faith that the rehab and management processes could not be better.
Top post, SOAP.

I have unadulterated man love for the guy and I’m proud of it!!

As you said, just has this calming presence about him. An aura so to speak.

I want to preface this by saying I believe it takes at least 12 months for any fitness/medical staff changes to have a real effect, so the following observations are likely just coincidences.

However, as of today, the current injury list is as follows:

Carlton
Sam Docherty (Indefinite)
Jarrod Pickett (Indefinite)
Kym Lebois (2-3 weeks)
Tom De Koning (4-6 weeks)
Test (2): David Cuningham, Charlie Curnow

We have 4 players injured (2 with long term, 2 coming back soon). We have 2 more labelled as "test".

Docherty is a horrible story, however overall I can't remember when our list has been healthier during a season? Great stuff.

Whats more telling is hawthorns injury list...

HAWTHORN
Grant Birchall (Knee) — Indefinite
Shaun Burgoyne (Hamstring) — 1-2 weeks
James Frawley (Hamstring) — 3 weeks
Darren Minchington (Hamstring) — 1 week
Tom Mitchell (Leg) — Indefinite
Tim Mohr (Knee) — Season
Ryan Schoenmakers (Achillies) — TBC
Liam Shiels (Hamstring) — Test
Ben Stratton (Concussion) — Test
Matthew Walker (Knee) — Test

HAWTHORN
Tim Mohr (Knee) — Season

I think that says more about their ageing list than the state of their medical department.

Shaun Burgoyne - 36
Grant Birchall - 31
James Frawley - 30
Tim Mohr - 30
Ben Stratton - 30
Ryan Schoenmakers - 28
Liam Shiels - 27
Darren Minchington - 25
Tom Mitchell - 25
Matthew Walker - 19

HAWTHORN
Tim Mohr (Knee) — Season
where'd you get this? official one on the AFL website only has 5 hawks injured. I had it in my post then removed it actually!

I am just wondering if he is feeling the heat yet. We now have our coach, recruiting and therefore administration all being put under by the microscope and supporters . it would be typical of our knee jerk happy admin to demand that we get a win somehow. Jonesy how's the head- good to go?
AR is hopefully able to circumvent these pressures, but will they listen?

I want to preface this by saying I believe it takes at least 12 months for any fitness/medical staff changes to have a real effect, so the following observations are likely just coincidences.

However, as of today, the current injury list is as follows:

Carlton
Sam Docherty (Indefinite)
Jarrod Pickett (Indefinite)
Kym Lebois (2-3 weeks)
Tom De Koning (4-6 weeks)
Test (2): David Cuningham, Charlie Curnow

We have 4 players injured (2 with long term, 2 coming back soon). We have 2 more labelled as "test".

Docherty is a horrible story, however overall I can't remember when our list has been healthier during a season? Great stuff.
Is it too early to blame you yet?

I am just wondering if he is feeling the heat yet. We now have our coach, recruiting and therefore administration all being put under by the microscope and supporters . it would be typical of our knee jerk happy admin to demand that we get a win somehow. Jonesy how's the head- good to go?
AR is hopefully able to circumvent these pressures, but will they listen?

Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how this plays out now? Im sure Bolts being here and the history these 2 would have together at hawthorn would have played some part in him coming. Do people think he may jump ship now or hang around? sorry if discussed elsewhere but i really hope he stays.

Regardless, another talent that has entered the club and turns into a dud. Our injury merry-go-round seemingly continues, players continue to appear physically inferior compared to other teams

What a sh!t sandwich of a joint! :poo:

Regardless, another talent that has entered the club and turns into a dud. Our injury merry-go-round seemingly continues, players continue to appear physically inferior compared to other teams

Lol

This is a bit melodramatic

He has had to Come in and take over after last year's injury issues.

We haven't been too bad on the injury front this year.

I wonder how this plays out now? Im sure Bolts being here and the history these 2 would have together at hawthorn would have played some part in him coming. Do people think he may jump ship now or hang around? sorry if discussed elsewhere but i really hope he stays.
The only risk I can see is if we secure Clarko as our next coach, because if we do then Russell will be left wondering what he needs to do to escape the guy ;)

But seriously SB, I must admit that your concern crossed my mind too, but hopefully Russell’s here for more reasons than Bolts, especially now that he’s been with us for a while.

...huh?

What?!
He's not a magician, ffs. Russell hasn't even been at the club for a year. It will take a couple of years to really see the benefits of his work.
You can't physically transform the players' bodies on the back of one pre-season. If that's what we were going for, we needed to hire Dank and "The Weapon".

Russell commented when he arrived just how unprepared our list was for AFL football and how underdeveloped and unfit our younger players were.

This is an issue that gets over looked and is as important as any. Also stated it will take him an absolute minimum of 12 months to get it right. First priority was to better limit injuries and then start to get our players fit.

I'm really keen to see how our younger players go after a full Russell pre season. I think the difference will be significant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back