Cars & Transportation Car Torque

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted a photo on Facebook a few years ago about wanting the new Volkswagen Scirocco R while I was waiting to get my oil topped up at a dealership. Told everyone who asked about it. Achieved it three or four years later, bought it ex-demo for $47k.

It changes things, because you no longer view it as an appliance but as a part of you. It's definitely a part of me, complete with kerb rash on a couple of rims, the marks on the roof when I accidentally closed my garage door on it, and the recent huge scratch when I got a bit too close to my own garage pillar. Service and parts are expensive but it's all worth it when I can unleash it. It also stands out from the rest of the VW range, looks wise, and there aren't many on the road and it's easy to find my car in a parking lot because of it.

Anyway, I know it sounds like I have an emotional attachment to my car like Thor to his hammer but money well spent. Don't think I'll ever change my car even if I find myself able to somehow afford a Ferrari.
What does this drive like? Always looked at these and thought "Beyonce".

What does this drive like? Always looked at these and thought "Beyonce".

Not sure what the Beyonce label means but as a front wheel drive car that's 1500kgs it's surprisingly nimble and I went with the DSG dual clutch which means gear changes (in both auto and manual modes) are lightning quick. 2.0L turbo with DSG = sex on wheels.

Crazy how much these are getting up in price. Will is stop? Will this be a 100k car in 50 years? They are cool though. For me it'd be a two door Falcon, the HK/T/G Monaro is the day dreamer type of car but something like this https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Ford-Falcon-1966/SSE-AD-5707440/?Cr=58 would be cool.

As for modern, a late 2000's Porsche Cayman S is the car I'm next into.

It's very inconsistent. There's a few old Holdens listed $150k+. If you want a Torana that's a GTR, SS or SL/R they are about $70k+. Once you get into the regular ones it's pot luck really, a bit like houses. One car that's $35k might have had $50k of work done on it compared to another that is $40k and has none.

Crazy how much these are getting up in price. Will is stop? Will this be a 100k car in 50 years? They are cool though. For me it'd be a two door Falcon, the HK/T/G Monaro is the day dreamer type of car but something like this

They’re the cars of baby boomers’ youth so are romanticised. They started to take off in value about 20 years ago which makes sense, those who wanted them got to their late 40s and early 50s, at the peak of their earning power, and have also ridden the wave of the property boom etc since. Cashed up so the prices went through the roof.

Those guys are pushing 70 now so I’d say over the next decade cars of that era will probably come off a bit.

Achievable dream cars: Holden HQ Monaro LS, Smokey and the Bandit car, Chevy Chevelle SS with the manly as * shifter, something 80s and sporty, like with a targa roof and pop up headlights and the electric dash that was what the 80s thought the future would look like, perhaps a Nissan 300zx, Alternatively a VK Commodore.

Un-Achievable dream cars: Lamborghini Countach, Holden LE Monaro, Holden Coupe 60 (concept car), Brock 'Director' Commodore. Stretching it a bit away from cars, but my dads old motorbike - never seen one like it since he sold it.

My near enough is good enough that I already own: Holden HQ Premier V8.

I don't think the H model Holden's are restricted to boomers, there's a lot of middle aged people, children of boomer I guess, that are a big part of the market. Then there's the under 30 year olds like me.

Not sure what the Beyonce label means but as a front wheel drive car that's 1500kgs it's surprisingly nimble and I went with the DSG dual clutch which means gear changes (in both auto and manual modes) are lightning quick. 2.0L turbo with DSG = sex on wheels.
Was referring to the phat arse. Much like a Porsche wide body, just the first feature of the car I noticed.
Achievable dream cars: Holden HQ Monaro LS, Smokey and the Bandit car, Chevy Chevelle SS with the manly as **** shifter, something 80s and sporty, like with a targa roof and pop up headlights and the electric dash that was what the 80s thought the future would look like, perhaps a Nissan 300zx, Alternatively a VK Commodore.

Un-Achievable dream cars: Lamborghini Countach, Holden LE Monaro, Holden Coupe 60 (concept car), Brock 'Director' Commodore. Stretching it a bit away from cars, but my dads old motorbike - never seen one like it since he sold it.

My near enough is good enough that I already own: Holden HQ Premier V8.
Any idea what kind of bike it was?

As Bunk Moreland said, I feel that some of the cars will taper off whilst others increase. Anything early Commodore will go through the roof, guys trying to recapture their youth and first cars they owned. I sold my Premier for over 20k about 6 months or more ago and don't see that car getting that much more expensive. I'd be surprised if I look back in 40 years time and kick myself for seeing them sell for 60k.

Was a tough car to drive in a big city and I'm not the leave it in a garage type of guy.

Also, much like homeowners who sell a house for 400k after buying it for 200k say they made 200k on the house. A car is constantly eating up money in registration/insurance/maintenance every year you keep it.

Was referring to the phat arse. Much like a Porsche wide body, just the first feature of the car I noticed.

Any idea what kind of bike it was?

It was a Yamaha, he reckoned they only made 250 or so, just enough so they could race them at Bathurst or something (could be talking s**t). It was 80s looking, with a square headlight, and two exhaust pipes either side of the bike. Had a blue tank with red and white stripes. A road bike. A bloke made him an offer on it when he seen it at garage sale (wasn't for sale at time) and my dad, being my dad who could not be trusted at garage sales (he once sold the table he had everything sitting on, so then just had to put all the crap for sale on the ground for the rest of the day) took it fist offer.

I don't know much about bikes but I really liked how that one looked. Distinctive.

As Bunk Moreland said, I feel that some of the cars will taper off whilst others increase. Anything early Commodore will go through the roof, guys trying to recapture their youth and first cars they owned. I sold my Premier for over 20k about 6 months or more ago and don't see that car getting that much more expensive. I'd be surprised if I look back in 40 years time and kick myself for seeing them sell for 60k.

Was a tough car to drive in a big city and I'm not the leave it in a garage type of guy.

Also, much like homeowners who sell a house for 400k after buying it for 200k say they made 200k on the house. A car is constantly eating up money in registration/insurance/maintenance every year you keep it.

Details/Pics of the Premier?

Not a garage guy either, I try to get mine out at least once a week, but haven't been able to for a fortnight now and it's biting at me. I've no doubt with regular running it would be daily material, but the longer those things sit the touchier they get I reckon. Mine is currently insured for 20k and once I spend 10k on panel beating and respray I'll up it to 40k. Not that I would ever sell it, being my great grandfathers car it has a value that a price can't be put on to see it with someone else.

Some models, like the 60s Monaros and the LE Monaro, along with Fords like the Cobra and GTHO, are never coming back down. Some strangely, have never gone up. HQ Statesmans are no more expensive than Kingswoods for example.

Dream cars:

70 Chevelle SS 454. Ultimate muscle car.

Jaguar F Type V8 Coupe

Both are expensive but i feel possibly somewhat achievable in the next 20 years. They’re not million dollar machines.

There was recently a Chevelle for sale on carsales and it had one of them hairs on your balls shifter, like the handlebar ones you wrap your full fist around. The kind of driving experience that would increase your fertility. There's also a 80s V12 Jag for sale in a car group I'm in on facebook for like, 16k, in pretty good nick.

I've been tossing up whether to invest in a 'new' Monaro or not, if they will become collectable down the track. Currently they are affordable.

It's very inconsistent. There's a few old Holdens listed $150k+. If you want a Torana that's a GTR, SS or SL/R they are about $70k+. Once you get into the regular ones it's pot luck really, a bit like houses. One car that's $35k might have had $50k of work done on it compared to another that is $40k and has none.

I've also noticed that original doesn't always mean it sells for more. Heaps of modified old cars still sell for more than original spec ones.

I've also noticed that original doesn't always mean it sells for more. Heaps of modified old cars still sell for more than original spec ones.

Of the Holdens I suspect the last model V8s (with the 6.2L) will become most desirable in years to come. SS, Calais and Caprices.

Though who would know - buying a car as an investment is incredibly risky business and probably not advisable!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the Holdens I suspect the last model V8s (with the 6.2L) will become most desirable in years to come. SS, Calais and Caprices.

Though who would know - buying a car as an investment is incredibly risky business and probably not advisable!

Wouldn't the last aussie muscle coupe be more unique?

Investment or not, I'd have fun driving it.

Haha I see. Yeah fortunately reversing sensors (but not cameras) come as standard because you sure as f*** ain't seeing anything out the back.

I did my research a lot, when the Scirocco R was released I loved the styling immediately. Has everything I want in a car - power, DSG gearbox, a few features but not too many fiddly buttons. Well, until I have kids...

I'd quite like an EK Holden. There aren't many around but they don't seem to be as popular as some models.

My very first car was an EK in 1979.
It came from my Grandmothers next door neighbour, (who was just another old dear who kept in the garage after her husband died), and it was absolutely immaculate in every possible way. Green in colour and only 10,000 genuine miles on the clock.

Yeah... I pulled out the the Grey motor and threw in a 179 Red, farted around with the rest of it and ended up wrapping it around a tree within a year, (you haven't felt body roll until you've driven an EK).

Yes, yes I know.
You stupid, stupid boy.
It would be worth a fortune now.
:'(

I’ve always had cheap, second-hand fast-ish cars in the $20k - $30k range. Only a few years old when you get them, keep them for a few years and get a few thrills.

Looking around, there seems to be a real shortage of options in this bracket at the moment. Basically WRXs and that’s it. The late Ford and Holden V8s are commanding ridiculous prices. To be expected with them going out of production I guess.

Related to this... any experience with the Chrysler 300 SRT, anybody? They’re a lot of car for the money. I’ve never driven one.

View attachment 697882

I’ll keep my Mustang thanks

I drove one once.

Once.

Also good luck being above five foot tall and wanting to sit in the back seat.

Related to this... any experience with the Chrysler 300 SRT, anybody? They’re a lot of car for the money. I’ve never driven one.

Don't know why you'd opt for that when there is so much out there for that price range which offers better value and more fun, but I should add the disclaimer that I was never a big fan of 6L V8s.

Beware though, this car is relatively loud all the time, so you’ve got to hope the love affair is a long-term one.

That's a no from me, dawg. But opinions are like arseholes, every one has one.

I drove one once.

Once.

Also good luck being above five foot tall and wanting to sit in the back seat.

Love mine, she’s 3 years old now and still puts a smile on my dial every time I start her up. Coyote 5.0L FTW

In a local Mustang owners group and regularly do group drives with a great bunch of people

Sitting in the back seat not ideal but then it’s not a family car is it

Glad I swapped off the Pirellis it came with, much happier (and more grip) on Coopers

Love mine, she’s 3 years old now and still puts a smile on my dial every time I start her up. Coyote 5.0L FTW

In a local Mustang owners group and regularly do group drives with a great bunch of people

Sitting in the back seat not ideal but then it’s not a family car is it

Glad I swapped off the Pirellis it came with, much happier (and more grip) on Coopers

Yeah the noise it makes is quite nice. I just prefer my cars to be quiet most of the time and then loud when I want it to. Same reason I was never a big fan of WRXs. My car at least has decent room in the back and you get bucket-like seats so it feels like a comfortable cocoon.

My car came with Pirellis as standard too, also swapped off them. I don't think they're as good value for money as many others.

Yeah the noise it makes is quite nice. I just prefer my cars to be quiet most of the time and then loud when I want it to. Same reason I was never a big fan of WRXs. My car at least has decent room in the back and you get bucket-like seats so it feels like a comfortable cocoon.

My car came with Pirellis as standard too, also swapped off them. I don't think they're as good value for money as many others.

I remember reading an independent review a while ago, it concluded that for all of the “tier 1” name brands (Pirelli / Bridgestone / Michelin / Dunlop etc) road tyre performance was basically identical in all situations.

Price basically comes down to brand name which is why they’re all so heavily invested in motorsport.

For your road car though, just get whatever’s cheapest of the best brands at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back