Review Round 16, 2019 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily the best win I've seen by a Brisbane side in NSW in recent memory..they ARE the real deal..Brisbane were ferocious in the contest..it wasn't Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, It was Pressure, Pressure, Pressure and they never let up on the Giants. It was a stunning, comprehensive effort by the entire team. Kudos to Chris Fagan who absolutely loves his young team with an unwavering passion.And didn't the Lions roar inside the sheds post-game?..The Maroon & Gold line was belted out big time...enjoy some pics we took..

View attachment 705399

View attachment 705400

View attachment 705402

View attachment 705401

View attachment 705404

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)

Umpires were great. Umpires have been very poor this year but last night I had no issues. Umpires Well Done
One decision that really highlighted this for me was the deliberate OOB that Razor Ray paid on the members / tv camera side wing. Ordinarily, a crowd would cry out calling for a free and an ump would accordingly respond. In this instance, a Giants player booted the ball out of defence, went OOB, obviously silence from the crowd, no reaction by any Lions player and Razor Ray still called the free.

Interesting to see Bailey in the forward line a number of times throughout the game. When there he looked dangerous with his speed.
Bailey is a future champion. He was mentioned to me before the season started as one of our emerging stars by someone who sees plenty of footballers every week.

Hopefully no one tests our water bottles. I recon Valium could of been used. We were so calm under pressure turning each GWS attack away time after time. If Harris and Lachie Neale are not in the AA team this year then the AA team is a joke.

Hammo seems to be consistently showing up at pressers even interstate where he isn’t writing the match review.

Have a sneaky suspicion he might be writing a book about Fagan’s rescue mission on the Lions.

Hammo seems to be consistently showing up at pressers even interstate where he isn’t writing the match review.

Have a sneaky suspicion he might be writing a book about Fagan’s rescue mission on the Lions.

Was Simon Black still a coach in Fagan's first season up here?

One decision that really highlighted this for me was the deliberate OOB that Razor Ray paid on the members / tv camera side wing. Ordinarily, a crowd would cry out calling for a free and an ump would accordingly respond. In this instance, a Giants player booted the ball out of defence, went OOB, obviously silence from the crowd, no reaction by any Lions player and Razor Ray still called the free.

There was one very poor OOB decision on the member's wing where it was clearly aimed to Toby Greene's advantage but because he saw it was going out and stopped chasing it it was called OOB, whereas if he'd continued it would've been deemed ok as he would've been closer. I suspect that's the one you're thinking of because it wouldn't have entered anyone's mind that it would've been a free, Lions' players included, because everyone expected a throw-in given a Giants' player in the area.

In general the umps were fine but that decision was poor and some inconsistent high contact frees (let some go on Bundy and Daniels while calling up what looked like a soft one early in the game) were the main headscratchers.

Watched the game in my hotel in Korea. Before the game I called for pressure all around the ground and didn't we deliver. How many times would GWS have two or three handball backwards or sidewards under pressure and then a hurried around the corner kick that got the ball back to where they started.

Have a look at how many times we won the 'Leigh Matthews' stat i,e, we handed the ball back to the ump at a ball up. Our tackling has gone up a gear. Several times we would break tackles (was it Berry in the last quarter who did the 360 to get cleanly away). They couldn't do that to us because often we had two going in on the tackle. It looked like we were the top side and they were the challenger.

I am changing Gardener's name to Protector as he takes the best forward, beats him but more importantly allows Andrews to exterminate any forward thrust. I think I will call Andrews 'Darleck' (DR Who reference) They had this large projection sticking out their fronts much like Andrews fist. I shall also keep tract of how many times Andrews spoils gain more yardage than the kick he spoiled. I think his spoils should count in metres gained so Andrews would win this stat every year.

I read the Bigfooty comments before watching the game and I noticed some love for number 35. Well I have a different take. Ryan had a very poor match-up and five minutes into the third quarter his direct opponent had kicked three goals but two things stood out. Watch how Himmelberg takes a mark early on in the second quarter and hands it off for a GSW goal. Adams is a big defender and it seemed to me the logical match up. What was more important was that Ryan was only over run once all day, early in the first quarter, where his lack of quick skills was shown up. This rarely happens any more, not because he has gained pace, but because all over the field we apply so much more pressure (Ryan included). We are getting better.

Answerth, Rich continue stellar seasons and Witherden finished up with 15 disposals but I can't remember him playing. This defence has become seemless.

Neale, Zorks and Martin were great but here I want to know who were the posters who didn't put McCarthy in their best players. Come on. Own up and attempt to explain yourselves. Robbo I love but he goes to ground too often which means, for the next 30 seconds, he cannot crunch someone.

McStay very quite again and did little around the ground and I hope Hipwood hasn't done anything serious but as many have pointed out we had heaps of goal kickers and is he misses a game or two they will debut a youngster. Walker has played his last game unfortunately.

What a win, not by a great quarter or great last 10 minutes (North and Port) but we bullied them.

Back in Seoul next Saturday and will be watching us move into the four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I wanted to share was post game Harris came up to some of us supporters on the wing and very genuinely thanked us for coming out. He could have just done his duty by giving a kid a footy and walk away, but showed why he is an incredible leader at such a young age. We are in safe hands once Hodge hangs up his boots.

also... is it officially official that Harris is the best KPD in the league?

It's always hard to give someone that tag when different players have different strengths. I had a bit of a melt when Darcy Moore was being talked up as AA this year after one or two decent games in his new role. What I tried to point out was that while Darcy was playing well there were still a heap of more established defenders playing at a higher level and for some time. McGovern is still an astonishing intercept player, Hooker and Tarrant almost unbeatable defensively, Hurley a sublime rebounder and of course our Harris who has Merrett's golden fist and as much composure and class as any defender. So what's my point? Harris is certainly in the top three and Darcy isn't :)

We are obviously having a great run injury wise but we still have room for improvement in this side.

Berry seems to be at about 80% this year thanks to injury and illness.

Adams is very very underdone.

Take out Hodge and Martin and we are probably still one of the youngest teams in the comp.

We don't have a Key Forward able to kick 50plus goals a week.... Yet

We have about ten blokes in the reserves who would be playing seniors only a season or two ago. Real depth. Some of them you could make cases for them to be playing now.

We are obviously having a great run injury wise but we still have room for improvement in this side.

Berry seems to be at about 80% this year thanks to injury and illness.

Adams is very very underdone.

Take out Hodge and Martin and we are probably still one of the youngest teams in the comp.

We don't have a Key Forward able to kick 50plus goals a week.... Yet

We have about ten blokes in the reserves who would be playing seniors only a season or two ago. Real depth. Some of them you could make cases for them to be playing now.
To be fair there aren't many full forwards who can kick 50 plus goals a week :laughing:

I am seeing more guys rotating through the midfield McCarthy, Raynor, Cameron were noticeable. Getting more touches and impacting the game more. McCarthy was awesome, , his left foot step is fantastic, he is confident atm, taking players on and beating them more often than not. Raynor will be there in a few years, give him time.
Well coached Fagan , they are building nicely.

I am seeing more guys rotating through the midfield McCarthy, Raynor, Cameron were noticeable. Getting more touches and impacting the game more. McCarthy was awesome, , his left foot step is fantastic, he is confident atm, taking players on and beating them more often than not. Raynor will be there in a few years, give him time.
It's not just Fagan. These results are coming from TEAM Fagan. The other coaches are clearly doing a fantastic job.

I actually can't recall Cameron in the middle recently as often as he was earlier in the season.

Back