Review Round 16, 2019 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I'd like Noah to get this week's Rising Star nomination, I can't help but think that Charlie's brother will get it.

Without trying to downplay Jarrod's game, WCE were playing witches hats. I thought Noah's game, against a top 4 team, was composed and mature. But I wouldn't be upset if Jarrod got the nod. An exciting talent like his brother.

Recruits of the year:

1 Lachie Neale

2, Linc Mccarthy

3 Jarryd Lyons.

Best draft pick for us for the last 20 years (based on draft position)

NOAH bloody ANSWERTH.....what a ripper :thumbsu:

Add to that Charlie Cameron the year before. That's 4 of our best 10 right there.
#FagNob

Not much more to say than already said.

So impressed with answerth plays a very mature style of game and is so physically ready for a 19yo.

Re; Rayner and Mccarthy think the coaches deserve credit for getting them into a few centre bounces through the game, getting them up around the ball and into the game. While Rayner still hadn’t stuffed the stats sheet his last 3 weeks you can see he is being much more agressive and positive both with the ball and with defensive pressure after being passive for the previous month. Still averaging his goal a game.

Re; Adams even in the pre game comments from Fagan (during the week) it was clear it was a decision to get him in as they see him as part of our best 22. No point having him play much more in neafl in half paced games and 10 goal wins. Will be interesting to see what they do with him next week, option to keep him in ahead of Oscar, stay in for hippy if he’s injured, or flip out someone from defence to open up a slot (hard to spot a week performer back there!).

Btw. Re goal kickers we have 8 players with at least 12 goals this season going at close to a goal a game up to 1.9 a game for Charlie. Christensen has 5 from 5 games as well.

It might be the last 10 years in me speaking, but with maybe the exception of GCS on current form, I can see us easily losing 6/7 remaining games. But if we bring the level of pressure we brought tonight and have brought in previous weeks, the double chance would be huge.
I do hope not though! :) I'm not throwing my next paycheque down on it but it would be pretty disappointing if we dropped that many, considering after port the next four teams we play are currently 10th, 13th, 12th and 18th.

Outside those though the games in my mind that we could lose are vs Port (7th), Geelong (1st) and Richmond (6th but who *ing knows, it flips about so often right now).

4W 3L would be acceptable IMO.

edit: my logic is simplistic by just looking at ladder position, I'll grant that - this season has certainly been an entertaining one to watch.

I do hope not though! :) I'm not throwing my next paycheque down on it but it would be pretty disappointing if we dropped that many, considering after port the next four teams we play are currently 10th, 13th, 12th and 18th.

Outside those though the games in my mind that we could lose are vs Port (7th), Geelong (1st) and Richmond (6th but who f*n knows, it flips about so often right now).

4W 3L would be acceptable IMO.

Agreed. I'm still coming at it from the perspective of still being genuinely surprised when we win each week.

Last edited:
Anyone notice Andrews pulling Adams into the circle instead of being in the middle. Knowing Adams is very introverted he would’ve found being in the middle quite difficult. Very nice gesture from Harris.
I have noticed this season we do it for every player, they start the song off in the middle but then get pulled into the huddle. Can't say it was just a Marcus Adams thing but a thing we do now

It was great to be there for our first win at the Showgrounds over Beer, Wine and Spirits. Bugger the stats, we won because we wanted it more than they did. We were first to the ball when it mattered. We now have an elite defence who were superb. We were so fast and efficient in attack... when we went forward we scored. We played four quarters and deserve to be top four. Marcus Adams will be a player for us. More smart recruiting. My lid is off. Really looking forward to finals.

Easily the best win I've seen by a Brisbane side in NSW in recent memory..they ARE the real deal..Brisbane were ferocious in the contest..it wasn't Marcia, Marcia, Marcia, It was Pressure, Pressure, Pressure and they never let up on the Giants. It was a stunning, comprehensive effort by the entire team. Kudos to Chris Fagan who absolutely loves his young team with an unwavering passion.And didn't the Lions roar inside the sheds post-game?..The Maroon & Gold line was belted out big time...enjoy some pics we took..

cfwb.jpg

blwbf.jpg

wsxwb.jpg

singwb.jpg

smwb.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting more and more accustomed to Gardiner winning or at least halving one on ones and generally getting us out of some high pressure situations.
Goes under the radar with Harris being a genuine top 3 defender but look up honest defender and Gardiners melon will pop up.

Easy to forget Gardiner was the highest rated defender in his draft and Boyd rated him the best defender

YOU ******* BEAUTY! I still can't get over that win!

giphy.gif

By far our best 4 quarter performance this decade, 2 weeks in a row now where we didn't have any notable passengers. For mine Neale, McCluggage, Andrews, McCarthy, & Robbo were the top 5, apologies to Answerth, Martin & Zorko. Historically, we have been a far stronger team in the second half of the season, and judging us on our current form - albeit a small sample size - that trend looks to be continuing! Not to get too over-hyped, but there is no reason why we can't keep this up and pinch at least 3 of our next 7.

All Hail Lord Fagan!

P.S. Almighty Footy Gods, please can we beat Richmond at least once this decade?!

It makes a difference when you have a confident competent umpire , he seems to lift the others.

Have they changed the interpretation on holding the ball ? There must of been 12-15 today that would've been paid earlier in the season that they just let go .I didn't mind but why not tell everybody.

Also the deliberate out of bounds interpretation seems to have become more lenient. Likewise I didn't mind ,I don't see how you can pay deliberate when a guy just throws his boot at it in desperation and it ends up dribbling out.

Maybe since the teams were playing a bit like it was a final the umps decided to officiate like it as well?

Looking forward to taking on teams carrying mobile forward line - Richmond, Doggies and Port - with Answerth and Bailey in our line up. That'll be another benchmark to pass. So excited.

I believe we had only experienced umps tonight. It really shows. When you get down into that second and third tier of umpire it gets bad quickly. We got a good run, we have had an ok run since the bye after getting screwed badly in a handful of games before that. Maybe the umps are starting to believe we belong too?
Brent Wallace had a really good game too.

Looking forward to taking on teams carrying mobile forward line - Richmond, Doggies and Port - with Answerth and Bailey in our line up. That'll be another benchmark to pass. So excited.
We go UNDEFEATED FROM HERE FOR THE REST OF THE HOME AND AWAY SEASON AND WIN THE FLAG. At worst we may drop a single game before the finals.

Back