Review Round 17, 2019 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was sat with the most one-eyed supporter and he was complaining about the umpiring all game 🤣
Perhaps if the frees were 3:1 in their favour compared to 2:1 they may have been happier...which doesn’t even taken into all the ones blatantly ignored to us such as Martin having his head taken off most the night:

Hinkley: "Maybe we misplaced a little bit of our aggression at the very start"

2min 36sec of a 7min 12sec press video worth of journo questions directly asking about that coaching decision. :)

OK I'm done with gloating over that twit. What an impressive win from our boys. No Hodge, no Hugh, no Hippy and we still gave them an absolute belting right from the get go. A bit frustrating that we let off the pressure at the end of the quarters, either we get a bit complacent and try to experiment and it backfires or we don't seem to man up or zone off as effectively but lots of our goals against tonight came from mistakes we made or complacency.

I still can't believe we got Lyons for absolutely nothing. Thanks Suns, brilliant work.

I'm so proud for how we didn't lose our composure at how Neale was being treated. Robbo's controlled aggression was perfect. Loved his fire coming off the bench, if Sutcliffe hadn't gone off as well at that point I reckon he would have been coming off on a stretcher about 2 minutes later. Probably did us a favour, really. But I am looking forward to what level of scrutiny that does get during the week. For an opposition coach to simply blurt it out that they would intentionally physically target a player, and have it backfire that badly, surely it needs to draw some attention over whether that tactic is worth it, or in the spirit of the game.

A massive win down, time to reset for another game next week at the Gabbatoir. Really hard to not expect a percentage booster against 12th placed North now, but especially so if the footy gods smile upon us and the Pies go down to GWS after their flop this week - we very well could even be looking at finishing round 18 in 2nd place.
Could be playing Geelong for first place on the ladder , I know we play Richmond the following week , but the Geelong game could , should be a sell out .
Last game at the Gabba or at least last H&A game anyway.;)
So much to look forward to.
Do we get the finals thread up going once we make 13 wins?

Could be playing Geelong for first place on the ladder , I know we play Richmond the following week , but the Geelong game could , should be a sell out .
We’ll knock off Geelong; I’m still not convinced.

Purely crowd appeasement after some early ones that got the crowd riled up. Umps had a mare, I'd be shocked if even the most one-sided Port supporter couldn't say the same.

I liked the Port supporter on the main board thread who was hoping that the umpires would eventually stop favouring the Lions and give Port a fair go ... iirc they were about double us in the free kick count at the time.

Keays rating second for top speed is interesting... Other than the missed goal I thought he had a really solid game. Good on him.

He's not slow when he gets up and going, just lacks acceleration I think.

I reckon Harro deserves a tad more credit - or is Charlie Dixon really that much of a spud? I might go with the latter here..

Poll needs more Charlie Gardiner.

I have been thinking about Gardiner, Darcy Gardiner. He is the invisible man. He rarely gets a vote in our Player of the Year but is we named the top ten he would score each week. He reminds me of a succulent. Not pretty, but impossible to kill and thrives in those difficult, hot places.

A thought: We have by far the best two key back combo. Can't think of any other club that can match the combo of Gardiner/Andrews and what makes it even better Walker has shown he is quite a good replacement for either.

One week at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not slow when he gets up and going, just lacks acceleration I think.

I reckon Harro deserves a tad more credit - or is Charlie Dixon really that much of a spud? I might go with the latter here..

I thought the same. Dixon was doing everything he could to push Harris out of position in wing contests and I don’t think a single long kick got past him. That’s no small feat given Dixon’s power. I think Dixon’s couple of dropped marks left the impression that it was just a bad game from him, but I thought Harris completely shut out his influence.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of random observations:

1] any semblance of officials' ruck control went completely out the window in almost every contest. Martin was routinely basically head tackled without penalty, and given his opponent was penalised at least twice for studs up, what happened to the threatened reporting regime brought in, obstensively, to do away with the Toby Greene thing. Ie, why wasn't he reported?

2] normally I'd put inept umpiring down to inexperience, but I recognised at least one bloke who has been around awhile, and he was one of the worst. As one commentator observed [might have been "miracle on grass" Hudson], usually the free kicks favour the side leading, not the one being thrashed.

3] what is it with the commentary? Charlie hardly got a sniff. Why continually talk about him? Why the emphasis on Port doing so badly? Why not on us doing so well. Dermie [Antonov] Brereton was an all-time CHF great. Commentator- a lot of drivel interspersed with the odd gem.

With the game v GWS and now Port as solid evidence, we seem to be perfecting the full-court strangle. We even managed the last 10min slow-down without Hodge present.

We've definitely improved. Definitely. No side gets to 3rd position on luck.

Dixon must have learnt all he knows from Campbell Brown during his time at the Suns, gets in the face of the smaller guys but cries for the umpires when someone his own size goes up to him lmao.

1] any semblance of officials' ruck control went completely out the window in almost every contest. Martin was routinely basically head tackled without penalty, and given his opponent was penalised at least twice for studs up, what happened to the threatened reporting regime brought in, obstensively, to do away with the Toby Greene thing. Ie, why wasn't he reported?

2] normally I'd put inept umpiring down to inexperience, but I recognised at least one bloke who has been around awhile, and he was one of the worst. As one commentator observed [might have been "miracle on grass" Hudson], usually the free kicks favour the side leading, not the one being thrashed.

3] what is it with the commentary? Charlie hardly got a sniff. Why continually talk about him? Why the emphasis on Port doing so badly? Why not on us doing so well. Dermie [Antonov] Brereton was an all-time CHF great. Commentator- a lot of drivel interspersed with the odd gem.

With the game v GWS and now Port as solid evidence, we seem to be perfecting the full-court strangle. We even managed the last 10min slow-down without Hodge present.

Yes its getting harder and harder for me to deny the simplest explanation in that we've become a very good football team. Not lucky, not scraping by but a good tough consistent footy team. Our effort since the bye has been exceptional and we're so much more consistent within games. It was interesting listening to the commentary saying that we're a team with weapons on every line and at least one AA contender on every line, sort of made me stop and take stock. Zorko was already that level player and Andrews bar injury would have been there last year but Cameron in for a full season, Neale in and McCluggage stepping up to be in the top 2-3 wingman in the comp results in a lot of headaches for opposition.

Now we've opposition coaches and supporters wondering how they shut our weapons down, rather than the other way around. We may lose a game we should win before the end of the season but as someone who has been a member since 2008 this is the most enjoyable season i've had at the footy. I think 2009 came a bit too early for me in my AFL fandom but the last 10 years of pain has made this season so much more fun, albeit stressful because we now have something to lose

I don't mind Derm normally but he was atrocious yesterday. How many weeks has he been watching Charlie Gardiner play great defence. No wonder Darcy never gets in the best player votes. The Port boards match review melts are gold. We have never ever reached their standard.

As a fully paid up Brisbane Bears & Lions member from year dot I have been through the long down, the glorious up, the long down again & we are now back up there baby. We can finally say again with confidence we are a seriously good footy side and life is good again. Our in's yesterday played solid games and played their part in an impressive team win.

Teams will now start to look at how to beat us, not just turn up simply playing their game.

Dixon must have learnt all he knows from Campbell Brown during his time at the Suns, gets in the face of the smaller guys but cries for the umpires when someone his own size goes up to him lmao.

His scream of impotent rage at the final siren after being dominated by Harris was the second best thing to happen yesterday (behind the actual win of course).

It was interesting how we used Adams yesterday. Played a lot on Sam Gray in the second half and we saw a few examples of how good his athleticism is. Which is why he’ll be preferred to Walker who can’t play on small forwards or even more mobile tall forwards.

Fantastic stuff congratulations to all the Members (real supporters) who stuck fat in the dark days.
The CM can now suck it up and stop reporting on 'choice bro wrestle ball' and report on real football and Brisbanes premier Football Franchise.
Great stuff.

Totally agree about the CM and its tendency to over report/under report. It's a shocking rag and being a one paper town it has far too much influence for my liking. But I've never found the antagonism towards other sports to be particularly helpful, either.

Honestly think we could lose every game for the rest of the year and i would still be happy with our season and what the team has done (Hope that doesn't happen).

Credit to Fagan for changing our mid from what looked like a extremely slow mid early in the season to what it is now.

Also sign Robbo midweek please.

Back