Review Round 17, 2019 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't been this excited about our club since the Glory days. We have officially arrived. Opposition clubs use to fly up to the Gabba get a bit of sun and an easy 4 points. No more. Teams expected to just turn up and boost there percentage when we played away. No more.

The last two weeks will have build enormous belief amongst the four walls. Play with that intent and hunger and teams will struggle to go with us for 120 mins.

We can go quick when we need to. We can lock down and slow the game up and make it a scrap when needed. The fact that we can play with tempo is a sign of a side maturing to be a genuine top four side and maybe just a Ar bit more than that.

Zorko was absolutely superb tonight. Lyons was excellent in conditions that were perfect for him. What a pick up and it cost us nothing, Thanks Stewy Dew.

My man Darcy Gardiner has lost about three marking contests for the entire season. If he played for a Vic club they would be calling him an All Australian defender. Christ Dermie still thinks he's name is Charlie!

Imagine thinking we could be 42-0 against Port in Adelaide with no Hipwood - McCluggage or Hodge. Fagan and the coaching team have been god sends for this club.

Gardiner has definitely taken a step forward this season. Use to be a bit suspect against taller opponents but that no longer seems like such a big issue.

52 free kicks is just ******* ridiculous.

Half of them felt like bullshit to appease an angry crowd after that Charlie goal from a decision that was wrong and the goal from the 50m. We were always control so I'm assuming there was no risk but they seriously blew for nothing and let a lot go that would benefit us. Most days Stef is molested like that he gets a few to send the message to his opponent to cool it. Don't think Lycett had one blown him against him all day until that one against OMac in the 4th, and he still bitched about it.

Half of them felt like bulls**t to appease an angry crowd after that Charlie goal from a decision that was wrong and the goal from the 50m. We were always control so I'm assuming there was no risk but they seriously blew for nothing and let a lot go that would benefit us. Most days Stef is molested like that he gets a few to send the message to his opponent to cool it. Don't think Lycett had one blown him against him all day until that one against OMac in the 4th, and he still bitched about it.
What on earth was going on there with the umps ???

Lycett basically had his arms around Stef ,up to his neck,anywhere,at every boundary throw in .

The last I heard that was a free kick.

Completely gobsmacked it went on all day

Half of them felt like bulls**t to appease an angry crowd after that Charlie goal from a decision that was wrong and the goal from the 50m. We were always control so I'm assuming there was no risk but they seriously blew for nothing and let a lot go that would benefit us. Most days Stef is molested like that he gets a few to send the message to his opponent to cool it. Don't think Lycett had one blown him against him all day until that one against OMac in the 4th, and he still bitched about it.
The adjudication of the ruck contests confused the hell out of me as well but there was a contest late where Josh Walker had two arms wrapped around him and wasn't awarded a free that made I lost my s**t at. Today was probably made worse given we've seen pretty good umpiring performances the last three weeks.

What on earth was going on there with the umps ???

Lycett basically had his arms around Stef ,up to his neck,anywhere,at every boundary throw in .

The last I heard that was a free kick.

Completely gobsmacked it went on all day

It really was ridiculous. He had his arms around him all day but had no cause to stop, he was continually allowed to get away with it.

Keays far from the most talented or skillful but love how he gives his all

Lester- been very good for weeks, in best 22 for sure

Rich- having best season, whoever has taught him how to punch and win contested ball in the air deserves a payrise

Andrews- Lock for AA

Mitch Robbo- warrior, makes the team walk a foot taller,

Rayner- will be huge if he can click the last few weeks of season

Walker- Can't see him playing finals but the Lions will be !!

Oh the melts. The best part of this is Port, Hinkley, and even Koch I bet are going to be utterly ripped to shreds in the SA media over the next week. Their call in radio programs are incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got out of Adelaide Oval alive!!!!!

They were foolish to focus on Neale and let the rest of the team go. If they'd been smart they might've stood a chance.

Glad to hear it kezz, was worried I was going to have to call round and get the uncle brigade moving to rescue you. Normally it's the Don's only but exceptional circumstances......

As I see it we are now a team with three important strengths:

We have a midfield that can win contested ball and win both centre clearances and at stoppages. We're not going to win everything, no one does, but we can now compete with the best sides, which is where we really struggled in the past few years.

We have a defensive unit that can really limit the opposition to a losing score.They are elite, tenacious, reliable and are working superbly together.

We also have offensive power which is currently incredibly efficient at converting entries to goals and multiple avenues to goal which is very hard to defend.

We can still get better and although there are things we probably still need to work on... that's a great base to build on both for finals and next year.
Loving this season.

To win interstate without our 3 guns is huge for our club. Watching it on my phone down the streets of St Petersburg and shouting randomly.

What a win, come on Lions!!
See any lids in Russia? None in Korea and Singapore

Oh the melts. The best part of this is Port, Hinkley, and even Koch I bet are going to be utterly ripped to shreds in the SA media over the next week. Their call in radio programs are incredible.
Good news is they will break their inconsistent run this week... Richmond will pulverized them.

If port board any indication they want him gone.

52 free kicks is just ******* ridiculous.

Would love to know which umpires officiated but I bet they had a lot less experience than lasts weeks line up. They over officiated the S*** out of that game. Also, whilst they got more frees, I felt like ours were in better spots and better times. Didn't;t feel like we were at a disadvantage just going by feel as the game unfolded. Being 40 points up helps that.

Yep I said it last week we are better than the pies at the momement , not the pies that thrashed us but the pies now.
I was wron….. wronnn…. wrong .
We would make their team look like the bogan pretenders that they are.
3 games at home to come , can't wait for next Saturday.
Special mention for Robbos elegant request for a dance with that young gentleman .
ha ha . Lov ya Mitch
4 games at gabba to come
Kangas
Bulldogs
Suns
Cats

It’s a given that Hodge, Hippy and Clug are best 22. If all fit and available, there will be 3 very unlucky players come selection time. Everyone played their role. Was really proud of Ben Keys. Thought he did exactly what he needed to do. Walker also presented well. Unfortunately for them, I think they go out for Hipwood and Clug, but who goes out for Hodgey? Depth is a great thing to have and keeps everyone on their toes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Adams 100%

Back