Review Round 17, 2019 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a given that Hodge, Hippy and Clug are best 22. If all fit and available, there will be 3 very unlucky players come selection time. Everyone played their role. Was really proud of Ben Keys. Thought he did exactly what he needed to do. Walker also presented well. Unfortunately for them, I think they go out for Hipwood and Clug, but who goes out for Hodgey? Depth is a great thing to have and keeps everyone on their toes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a given that Hodge, Hippy and Clug are best 22. If all fit and available, there will be 3 very unlucky players come selection time. Everyone played their role. Was really proud of Ben Keys. Thought he did exactly what he needed to do. Walker also presented well. Unfortunately for them, I think they go out for Hipwood and Clug, but who goes out for Hodgey? Depth is a great thing to have and keeps everyone on their toes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Good chance at least one of Hippy or Hugh won't come up.

Haven't been this excited about our club since the Glory days. We have officially arrived. Opposition clubs use to fly up to the Gabba get a bit of sun and an easy 4 points. No more. Teams expected to just turn up and boost there percentage when we played away. No more.

The last two weeks will have build enormous belief amongst the four walls. Play with that intent and hunger and teams will struggle to go with us for 120 mins.

We can go quick when we need to. We can lock down and slow the game up and make it a scrap when needed. The fact that we can play with tempo is a sign of a side maturing to be a genuine top four side and maybe just a bit more than that.

Zorko was absolutely superb tonight. Lyons was excellent in conditions that were perfect for him. What a pick up and it cost us nothing, Thanks Stewy Dew.

My man Darcy Gardiner has lost about three marking contests for the entire season. If he played for a Vic club they would be calling him an All Australian defender. Christ Dermie still thinks he's name is Charlie!

Imagine thinking we could be 42-0 against Port in Adelaide with no Hipwood - McCluggage or Hodge. Fagan and the coaching team have been god sends for this club.

Really wanted Keays to slot that shot on goal. He was really good at playing his role, setting up mutiple goals, applying pressure etc;.

Lester, as always, is underappreciated by most Lions fans. I'm an unbashed Lester fan, but he was exceptional today. A few good contested marks and touches to quell their surges.

Eerie similarity to 20 years ago season 2001, embarrassing loss to Carlton and then won 16 in a row to the premiership. Could this team turn back the clock and do it again?

PS we played Port and Kangaroos in successive rounds and the Roos were coming off a defeat from Essendon in that year as well;)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a performance. Seem to be saying it's the best win for the year each week now. Such a great effort from the opening bounce. For a team that starts so poorly that was the best term in a long time.

How good is it watching young blokes like Answerth and Bailey moving the ball quickly out of the backline. They have really added something to the side and as a result should help Rich to his first All-Australian jumper. What a great move by the recruiting team to trade back into the draft to get Answerth late.

Can't wait to see what this team will become.

Hey Hutchy you tool, surely Chris Fagan can now be recognized as a great game day coach?

BTW if you want a good chuckle go and have a look at the Port board, nuclear level melts happening.
Would that be fission?

Is it selfish of me to be slightly disappointed our second half was fairly low scoring? Although it almost felt like we switched into a defensive training drill rather than focusing on piling on the percentage.
It’s about not opening the gate for the other team to come back. I’ll take a low scoring second half any day when we’re miles in front at half time!

I think one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from a coach is what Hinkley said in his pre match interview. Fancy revealing your ( basically illegal ) tactics when you don't know how it's going to turn out . The way they played in the first 20 minutes showed that they didn't have their mind on the game.

Virtually automatically disqualifies himself from any Senior coaching role in future.

Hey Hutchy you tool, surely Chris Fagan can now be recognized as a great game day coach?

BTW if you want a good chuckle go and have a look at the Port board, nuclear level melts happening.

Went into their board and the top thread is "sack Hinkley" (237 pages full) and saw the name Mayes mentioned, I reckon that's the first time I've seen that name all year, dropped off face of the earth he has.

Back