Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Teddy Richards’ old man on Millionaire Hotseat... after kissing his arse as a open minded, caring sports fan and marvelling Ted’s career, Ed briefly details his story as a failed big name forward to star premiership fullback.
Old man Richards....”Yeah it was a bit stomach-churning for a while there when we thought he might end up at Collingwood”

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Teddy Richards’ old man on Millionaire Hotseat... after kissing his arse as a open minded, caring sports fan and marvelling Ted’s career, Ed briefly details his story as a failed big name forward to star premiership fullback.
Old man Richards....”Yeah it was a bit stomach-churning for a while there when we thought he might end up at Collingwood”
And we see where Ted gets his sense of humour from:)

Would be nice if the club updated our membership tally to this year’s.

I get we’re going to be well down considering ladder position and all, but far out, it’s just silly not posting anything.

trying to boost it first, had a fair few ads etc

The following was partly prompted by Mick Oxlong's comments about practising to become proficient on both feet. It was also prompted by my quasi step daughter out-law who is due to give birth.

The nature v nurture debate has always interested me. When we are born we are the product of our genetic inheritance and thereafter we are influenced, particularly in early years by our environment.

There used to be a theory that toddlers who crawled a lot before they eventually learned to walk would be more likely to have superior hand-eye co-ordination. As little girls on average tend to walk and develop faster than little boys, the theory was used to explain slight differences in hand eye co-ordination between the genders.

If this theory is still viable, parents who encourage their toddlers to progress their kids to walk very early may limit hand-eye co-ordination - of course there may be many more benefits from learning to walk early.

Hand-eye is important for many tasks of daily living and for playing sport at any reasonable level it is essential. I wonder whether today's new parents, particularly those with a sporting background, consciously encourage their toddlers to take their time in learning to walk. Similarly do today's new parents encourage developmental games that encourage hand-eye as well as all the other developmental attributes?

The natural degree to which we are left or right handed is assigned by our genetic soup. Thereafter our early childhood development and then practice in later life (as Mick did on his left) increases our proficiency.

Bobby Skilton was allegedly a left footer but in reality it was difficult to tell. He was equally brilliant on both sides by hand and foot. I can remember going to a State game at the G late in his career. I have a vivid memory of him winning the ball on half back and delivering a 40m stab pass on his left to a teammate in the centre, then running on collecting a handpass and delivering another 40m stab pass to chf on his right. Both stab passes were unerring tracer bullets.

I watch Nick Blakey with great interest as we all do. I have yet to see him kick on his right, tho his handball skills seem proficient on both sides. No doubt Nick practised on his right leg and he is probably ok. But what he has done (as young Ling seems to have done) is to practice dinky kicks on the side of his left foot. These are incredibly effective.

In the next couple of days I will be a quasi step grand dad for the second time. As I always done, I have a small red and white footy and beanie on hand. I have to acquire a bottle of Portuguese port or Oz red to lay down until they turn 18 as well as a bottle of flash gin for the mum. I am already planning hand-eye games for when bub is up to it. Boy or girl they will learn to catch and throw and kick on both feet. In the greater scheme of things these skills are inconsequential - as bub will grow up in a happy household and be a fine person.

The following was partly prompted by Mick Oxlong's comments about practising to become proficient on both feet. It was also prompted by my quasi step daughter out-law who is due to give birth.

The nature v nurture debate has always interested me. When we are born we are the product of our genetic inheritance and thereafter we are influenced, particularly in early years by our environment.

There used to be a theory that toddlers who crawled a lot before they eventually learned to walk would be more likely to have superior hand-eye co-ordination. As little girls on average tend to walk and develop faster than little boys, the theory was used to explain slight differences in hand eye co-ordination between the genders.

If this theory is still viable, parents who encourage their toddlers to progress their kids to walk very early may limit hand-eye co-ordination - of course there may be many more benefits from learning to walk early.

Hand-eye is important for many tasks of daily living and for playing sport at any reasonable level it is essential. I wonder whether today's new parents, particularly those with a sporting background, consciously encourage their toddlers to take their time in learning to walk. Similarly do today's new parents encourage developmental games that encourage hand-eye as well as all the other developmental attributes?

The natural degree to which we are left or right handed is assigned by our genetic soup. Thereafter our early childhood development and then practice in later life (as Mick did on his left) increases our proficiency.

Bobby Skilton was allegedly a left footer but in reality it was difficult to tell. He was equally brilliant on both sides by hand and foot. I can remember going to a State game at the G late in his career. I have a vivid memory of him winning the ball on half back and delivering a 40m stab pass on his left to a teammate in the centre, then running on collecting a handpass and delivering another 40m stab pass to chf on his right. Both stab passes were unerring tracer bullets.

I watch Nick Blakey with great interest as we all do. I have yet to see him kick on his right, tho his handball skills seem proficient on both sides. No doubt Nick practised on his right leg and he is probably ok. But what he has done (as young Ling seems to have done) is to practice dinky kicks on the side of his left foot. These are incredibly effective.

In the next couple of days I will be a quasi step grand dad for the second time. As I always done, I have a small red and white footy and beanie on hand. I have to acquire a bottle of Portuguese port or Oz red to lay down until they turn 18 as well as a bottle of flash gin for the mum. I am already planning hand-eye games for when bub is up to it. Boy or girl they will learn to catch and throw and kick on both feet. In the greater scheme of things these skills are inconsequential - as bub will grow up in a happy household and be a fine person.
My mum was left-handed and brought up by nuns, as her parents died when she was young. They thought left-handedness was a sign of the devil and refused to allow her to read, write, knit, sew, eat, cook or play netball left-handed. As a result she was ambidextrous, and did everything equally well with both hands. We, her kids, marveled at her greatness!

As you would expect, she resented it for years, but in her 50s underwent carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists consecutively and suddenly these skills came into their own! I can't say I ever wanted anything enough to go through all that effort.

PS Congrats Grand-dad! :thumbsu::)

Bobby would practice hand balling into open car window when he was a Cocoa Cola sales rep

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Just snuck over to the Hawks board and saw that Thaihawk had passed away earlier this year. I shared some PMs with him because of our mutual love of Thailand. Seemed like a nice bloke for a Hawks fan.

F5241A4F-1CDA-4276-93F8-2B9491FA9284.png

Surprised by Carlton's high attendance.
What should be taken into consideration:
- the ground capacity for each venue - Hobart cannot match Perth's Optus stadium.
- the length of the season

But the NRL sure does not pull in the crowds!

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Surprised by Carlton's high attendance.
What should be taken into consideration:
- the ground capacity for each venue - Hobart cannot match Perth's Optus stadium.
- the length of the season

But the NRL sure does not pull in the crowds!
NRL has surburan grounds still for some teams. The Cronulla games would be a sellout at Shark Park for instance. But yes, way behind in crowd numbers. BTW Ricmonds last 7 games are at the MCG, fair draw and all, lol.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
More than once we’ve had a posters express their frustration at players inability to kick on a non preference foot. It seems we aren’t the only ones.

Feels like footskills in general are being neglected by the development leagues and even AFL coaches which is very strange and probably wrong.

Priority now is handskills, tackling and running.

Concussion is a serious injury.

I would like to see the AFL rule that a player has to have 1 week rest after being concussed.

I hope Sinclair does not play next Saturday.

By conducting autopsies on two former rugby league players a leading Sydney researcher has discovered a degenerative brain disease associated with repeated head trauma.
The landmark finding is the first time Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), colloquially known as being "punch drunk", has been identified in rugby league players anywhere in the world

The Age
The concussion class action that could punch a hole in the AFL
KONRAD MARSHALL MARCH 16, 2019

A lawsuit could be filed as soon as this winter, he says, which will allege that the AFL breached its duty of care by allowing players to routinely return to the field on the same day after suffering a serious hit, and almost always play again the week after such hits, leading to the devastating maladies they now endure.

Back