FTA-TV Masterchef 2019

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Oh so there is a Top Chef show. Was a dig at Top Gear and those three taking off for a new show
Ah, yes there is a definite scent of these three thinking they can pull a Clarkson/Hammond/May (although I doubt they can)

Top Chef is probably my favourite reality/competition tv. It's cooking show that pits young chefs (those that either have opened their own restaurant or are sous chefs for established, well known chefs, and they are frequently award nominated/winning) that is hosted by former model and super taster/cookbook author Padma Lakshmi and chef Tom Colicchio (at least in the US). Season 16 ended a few months ago.

It's basically what MCAU would be with young professional chefs as contestants and a much stronger focus on food, almost every challenge being a service challenge of some sort and much more picky judging.

Also of note, Top Chef Junior (which I've never seen) is actually hosted by Curtis Stone

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I say go with a combination of the following or perhaps even all on a rotating basis. Who says there has to be 3?

Marco Pierre White
Angela Hartnett
Guy Grossi
Alla Wolf-Tasker
Shannon Bennett

I fear the Channel 10 execs are dropping the ball on this one based on the names that are being bandied around.

None of the previous contestants have the Masterchef credentials as far as I'm concerned. Having a tv show or a book doesn't cut it. I think it also cheapens the reputation of the judge having previous contestants.

Other home cook/ tv personalities are also terrible choices. Firstly, they are not "Masterchefs" and secondly I doubt they could even run a pass.

I can't see Curtis Stone being able to commit to the show with everything he already has going on which is not a bad thing. Maggie appears to be out of the race (thank goodness).

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
I haven't got the time hahah. But he's just like the judges who have just left except he looks like a chicken nugget and has half the talent of any of them.

What about Matt Sinclair? He has a lot of personality but perhaps he is too manic, must be tough to edit him given he seems to be on edge all the time. Seems like a decent person though.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
What about Matt Sinclair? He has a lot of personality but perhaps he is too manic, must be tough to edit him given he seems to be on edge all the time. Seems like a decent person though.

I love Matt. And he was the best talent of his season by far and a joy to edit.

Dunno why he hasn't been mentioned but I would imagine it's lack of experience. And he may not want to.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
What a previous contestant brings is belief and hope.

I don't feel they need to have 'mastered' food or be a top chef.

Just be good and creative and know some different foods.

Those 24 starting will see that previous contestant and say ' that could be me'

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What a previous contestant brings is belief and hope.

I don't feel they need to have 'mastered' food or be a top chef.

Just be good and creative and know some different foods.

Those 24 starting will see that previous contestant and say ' that could be me'

I disagree. I think the judges need to be someone highly respected with an authoritive type aura about them.

"Guest appearances" from previous contestants works well though.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If it's about being a master chef then the judges need to be from the top echelon, not just network personalities who might happen to be available and/or inexpensive. That's what worked for MC initially.

Lego Masters worked, largely because the judge was Australia's only recognised Lego professional, and for the final, a design executive from Lego itself.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
If it's about being a master chef then the judges need to be from the top echelon, not just network personalities who might happen to be available and/or inexpensive. That's what worked for MC initially.

Lego Masters worked, largely because the judge was Australia's only recognised Lego professional, and for the final, a design executive from Lego itself.

Agree and disagree on Lego Masters, I personally think it worked due to the host being a fan of the product rather than a professional at the art. It works with Lego as most people grew up loving Lego so you can naturally get drawn in by a big kid taking us back to that joy. The more professional you get at something the more analytical and that level of joyfulness dissipates. Footy players being a good example which is why people love to hear Heath Shaw talk as he just seems to enjoy it for what it is.

Mixture of the two worked amazingly well for LM but I don't think would work for something like Masterchef.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I reckon Dan Hong would make a good MC judge.

Has multiple successful restaurants, both in Australia and overseas. If his appearance as a judge in the most recent season finale of Top Chef US is any indication he has some cred in the industry. He has experience hosting a cooking show. And as an added benefit he would provide some cultural diversity.

The biggest problems I can see with it is that I think he is based i Sydney, and that he might still be contracted to SBS and the "The Chef's Line" show

Last edited:
Masterchef isn't going to be the same without Gary/Matt/even George , but I've been watching since Season 1 so I can't see myself giving it away next season.
I know Matt Moran quit Masterchef years ago but I'd like to see him back
Otherwise- Curtis Stone's fine too. I'm not sold on having former contestants like Julie/Poh/Justine/Matt Sinclair on the show as judges. I'd prefer that they remained mentors.

It will be interesting to see who they do choose; this season struggled none of the contestants really seemed *that good* to me not saying they were poor just it seemed a little off on that front this year; thinkMatt George and Gary probably kept the show running this year; that said I don't want it to become like MKR which is too much about the characters and people and not about the cooking.

I think things like the immunity pin are given away too easily. the early season where you had to beat the chef at their own dish was insanely hard but t made the pin a real reward to me. Thought the season seemed to be missing elements. Heston setting a challenge for the finalists

Would be interesting to see if the rumour that Gary George and Matt had been poached are true; might make sense as to why they were willing to walk. Or channel 10 might have called their bluff we'll see.

Pacman Carney

All Australian
Aug 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If they are actually entertaining...Poh is good in small doses, but meh sorry not a fan of a whole season of Maggie..they had a Maggie Beer week one year and that was bad enough personally.

If they wanted a female celeb judge Nigella would have been better

isn't it all just rumours aout Curtis, Maggie and Poh?
there has been no announcement ? DapperJong ?

I'm unsure on ex contestants as hosts; if they are only a one at most, they suit the mentor role fine. But I'm not sure they have the experience that made the show so good.

Reguarding the talk earlier about the remade bread used. I don't have an issue with that, buying a good bread is going to be something better than they are going to make themselves in that short period , some of the sour dough require 48-72 hours. And the bread played a minor role, I'd suggest very very few restaurants make their own bread when they can buy a better product from an artisan baker. The only reason I could see for making your own is if the bread was central to the product you were making.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm unsure on ex contestants as hosts; if they are only a one at most, they suit the mentor role fine. But I'm not sure they have the experience that made the show so good.

Reguarding the talk earlier about the remade bread used. I don't have an issue with that, buying a good bread is going to be something better than they are going to make themselves in that short period , some of the sour dough require 48-72 hours. And the bread played a minor role, I'd suggest very very few restaurants make their own bread when they can buy a better product from an artisan baker. The only reason I could see for making your own is if the bread was central to the product you were making.

I agree. Mentor roles only for ex contestants.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus

Adam Liaw is the only ex contestant good enough. The rest, blergh.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
It will be interesting to see who they do choose; this season struggled none of the contestants really seemed *that good* to me not saying they were poor just it seemed a little off on that front this year; thinkMatt George and Gary probably kept the show running this year; that said I don't want it to become like MKR which is too much about the characters and people and not about the cooking.

I think things like the immunity pin are given away too easily. the early season where you had to beat the chef at their own dish was insanely hard but t made the pin a real reward to me. Thought the season seemed to be missing elements. Heston setting a challenge for the finalists

Would be interesting to see if the rumour that Gary George and Matt had been poached are true; might make sense as to why they were willing to walk. Or channel 10 might have called their bluff we'll see.
I would like the show to keep one of the judges, preferably Gary. George just has to go, may be what happened is that they tried to replace George only, but Gary and Matt refused to sign without George. If Netflix or whoever doesn't want the trio, maybe Gary and-or Matt will come back for masterchef 2020 after all.

Last edited:
Back