Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Our last premiership team had three 32 year olds and a 34 year old as part of it, one of them winning the Norm Smith medal.

Granted that Kernahan, Bradley, Williams and Madden were exceptional players.

I don't understand the rush to replace players based upon their ages while they are still performing at a high level.

I think that their experience is of great value to the team in big matches and tight situations.
That is all true but not sure anyone in a rush to get rid of players purely based on age.

But getting back to 1995, the reality was, we did not manage well the list around then after winning the flag. The truth should have been looked at that those older players were on other side of mountain and very very close to the end. That group should have won a flag in 1993 or 94 and were so pained by not doing it that was so motivated to make sure they made up for it in 1995 a lot of the veterans got the very last ounce of elite football from their careers. I truly believe one or two of those four should have called it a day with a premiership to go out on. But they did not and very fair to want to go on in 1996 and try for one more. We made the late 1990's tougher on ourselves as we did not regenerate the list enough and really paid for it to the extreme when Elliott lead double down on paying the older stars what they deserved but salary cap rules could not afford. 1996 to 2005 is probably the worst example of list mis-management seen. We would be wise to learn from those mistakes and SOS being a player then would have great insight into mistakes never to repeat. Mind you, club list management was not looked at professionally like clubs do today with much larger staff for such things. So even though horrible mistakes were made back then, in some ways not surprising and just learn from them. It has taken until end of 2015 for the club to truly, embrace drafting and salary cap management in a professional way and more importantly have a strategy. You can trust there is a much more balanced strategy in how to deal with players getting older and making the transition through re-generating the list. There will be no rush to get rid of veterans or the other extreme of clinging on too long.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
We can't judge until later but they do need games. Dow is second year and had a tough year in a lot of ways. He will be fine.

For me it's just balance. I'm not talking about getting rid of all the 30 plus players but we do need to start exciting a few. We have too many for a list still rebuilding. Also, by 2020 Cripps Docherty Charlie Weitering Plowman are all mature enough to start truly leading.

I also expect a best 22 to include Murphy Curnow Kruezer Jones & Casboult in 2020. Surely that is enough?
Yeh not having a go at Dow at all. His second season at the end of his career will be irrelevant. More just wondering how best to develop the kids. The extra opportunities we gave him sort of done nothing for his development imo.

I think it depends on how we are going . If we are playing finals than I think it’s irrelevant because it’s starts becoming about the now. (Especially with how close the comp is now with no powerhouse sides) That probably depends a lot on who we can bring in at the end of this season though. Looking at someone like Walsh he doesn’t have to be given opportunities because he demands it through performance. I’m happy for all our kids to do that and if that means playing an older, better player over them than so be it. We already have enough kids demanding opportunities anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back