List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have said more like crazy brave ball movement by foot and a healthy dose of illegally throwing it out of contests by hand to get it to those kickers. Just how I saw it.
That's a fair assessment. The holding the ball interpretation meant that if you pick up the ball and are tackled immediately you only need to have made an attempt to dispose of it legally, not actually do so, and it's play on. So they built a style where one would go in for the ball, immediately run into an opponent and spin around dropping the ball into the cleared space behind for the team mate to swoop on.

Clever stuff. Then their back line and forward line fell apart through injury and retirement.

Memberships go up, memberships go down. It's not shocking in any way.
Doesn't Perth have a housing cost crisis at the moment?
Sure some people might not be able to afford it.
When the figures go up later and people want to get excited, then they need to realize at some point. ...... they will go down again.
But they'll go up again.
And down.
And up.
I would have thought the combination of the new stadium with increased seating costs in the majority along with our s**t form after the bye last year was the reason for a decline in membership numbers.
I don’t think either coach has a lot of time for Basil, tries to play hardball with them, but he’s not a journalist & just looks like a dick.

The club must have expected numbers to drop with a rebuild. There is no rocket science, do well and more people turn up, do poorly and people lose interest. With the new facilities being planned/developed they were probably s**tting a brick or two about memberships and finance.
If you look at the yearly numbers that I posted a little earlier, Freo's memberships went up about 4k in 2018 (51k to 55k) when we all knew Freo were in the middle of a rebuild and not likely to be finals competitive. But I believe Freo fans were enticed by the new stadium. In 2019, after members got a taste of what their membership at the new stadium offered them, the membership numbers simply went back down to what they were in 2015, 2016, 2017 (51k in each year).
That is, put the 2019 number in context of 2017 and there's nothing really to see.
Looking at it in isolation of 2018 - 2019 and it looks bad.
But yes, at the end of the day, if Freo start winning more games, the memberships will go up.

Lol. I couldn't be bothered making a new thread, and couldn't see anywhere else to post it. It's at least related to Ross a little bit. Sticking your head in the sand doesn't make the problem go away.

WC must play a boring brand when only 40000 of 90000 turn up for the game
[/QUOTE]
Richmond have 90K+ but against us never get more than 35K.

I would have said more like crazy brave ball movement by foot and a healthy dose of illegally throwing it out of contests by hand to get it to those kickers. Just how I saw it.
They are a handball happy team and were when they won the premiership, it wasn't kicking..

What's the reason that 50000 of the 90000 so called members after spending their hard earnings on a membership don't turn up? With 90000 surely every game would be a full house?
There’s only about 50000 WC members with access to the seats. The rest of the members are either waiting for seats, 3 or 5 game members, country, interstate or pets! They all count.

Didn't the Bulldogs win a premiership based on an efforts based game plan, hence why they dropped off so much after it as they couldn't sustain the effort any more

Richmond too. It can work if you're lucky enough not to run into one of the better teams in AFL history on Grand final day.

IMO the key is balance and flexibility. Richmond have the ability to control a game and don't need to frenetically press for 120 minutes.

Saturday aside - we generally have to work so bloody hard for our goals, which makes it very difficult to sustain any kind of consistency, especially with a youngish squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the past we often ran a game plan based on hyper effort for the first half, which we dominate, followed by a half of defending that lead.we don’t do that anymore. Cerra spoke about concentration, which as a young team is important to practice, and now they are being challenged to apply that in the (unrealistic) quest for finals. A good step forward at a time of year where fatigue would be a factor.

We all saw it on the weekend, it was brilliant, but this effort based game plan is unsustainable as a premiership strategy. You simply can't play like it for long enough even if you love the coach. It's gonna give you a lot of good moments but not a flag.

Most of our early wins were off fast ball movement, using our superior marking to transition quickly. Watching probably our best (slickest) game of the the year (GWS) I would definitely say it was quick ball movement and a functioning fwdline that got us the win. Same for games against North, Pies.

IMO we switched to this effort/maniac pressure gameplan simply because the team isn't there anymore. 7 Best 22 players out injured. If we hadn't been hit by injuries as hard as we have the gameplan would still resemble how we were playing earlier in the season.

What's the reason that 50000 of the 90000 so called members after spending their hard earnings on a membership don't turn up? With 90000 surely every game would be a full house?
Eagles av attendance at Optus is 53,000.
Even if we ignore the fact 90,000 people
can't fit into a 60,000 seat stadium your arithmatic is way out.

It’s not as if we didn’t have a good amount of notice either
Freo didn't get the details of the seating / costs etc until very late. Well after the end of the 2017 AFL season. Memberhip renewals are normally finalised by November- which gave the club basically no time to do final arrangments.

Most of our early wins were off fast ball movement, using our superior marking to transition quickly. Watching probably our best (slickest) game of the the year (GWS) I would definitely say it was quick ball movement and a functioning fwdline that got us the win. Same for games against North, Pies.

IMO we switched to this effort/maniac pressure gameplan simply because the team isn't there anymore. 7 Best 22 players out injured. If we hadn't been hit by injuries as hard as we have the gameplan would still resemble how we were playing earlier in the season.
As well as that, you don't really want to be bringing in the likes of Banfield, Hughes and Crowden and planning to win the games based on marking and skill (nice irony given Hughes great skills in that game). You are going for effort.

As well as that, you don't really want to be bringing in the likes of Banfield, Hughes and Crowden and planning to win the games based on marking and skill (nice irony given Hughes great skills in that game). You are going for effort.

On Crowdens efforts before, yep. But he was as cool as a cucumber last week instead of a bull at the china shop and his timing for disposal on many instances was impeccable. Changed my mind completely about his capabilities.

On Crowdens efforts before, yep. But he was as cool as a cucumber last week instead of a bull at the china shop and his timing for disposal on many instances was impeccable. Changed my mind completely about his capabilities.
They both had good games. I was happy to see Crowden more forward. He arrived with a reputation as a kicker, and training reports seemed to affirm that, but in the few games he has played it really hadn't been a feature, so it was a real plus to see him kicking well.

Back