Recommitted Sam Draper [re-signed for 4 years]

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy would have to be up there with the most talked about 0 game player in the history of the AFL.
Whats the raps on him? He really mobile and good on the ground for a ruck?

Also hasnt he now re-signed? Can probably update the title.

Very mobile and aggressive at ground level for 203cms, perfectly suited to the modern game.

People only know his name now because of the Saints rumored offer.

Very mobile and aggressive at ground level for 203cms, perfectly suited to the modern game.

People only know his name now because of the Saints rumored offer.

To be honest I'd heard big raps on him last offseason (probably before the knee injury).
Fair enough, so a bit of a Grundy type player?

To be honest I'd heard big raps on him last offseason (probably before the knee injury).

Groundwork similar to Grundy, no where near as skillful by foot though. He's had some monster games at VFL level, and he's still learning as he played soccer a junior, He's a very important signing for us.

Groundwork similar to Grundy, no where near as skillful by foot though. He's had some monster games at VFL level, and he's still learning as he played soccer a junior, He's a very important signing for us.

Yeah your ruck stocks arent exactly filled.

TBC looks like injuries might catch up with him.
McKernan an ok forward but not a ruck
Zac Clarke is just vomit worthy

I honestly think you're better off playing nobody in the ruck compared with Clarke

You managed to kill us on the spread losing the ruck the other week.

Yeah your ruck stocks arent exactly filled.

TBC looks like injuries might catch up with him.
McKernan an ok forward but not a ruck
Zac Clarke is just vomit worthy

I honestly think you're better off playing nobody in the ruck compared with Clarke

You managed to kill us on the spread losing the ruck the other week.

We come into the season with Bellchambers, Draper, Daniher, Stewart, Clarke and Lavender all 200cm players, We also have Mckernan who is an undersized forward/ruck.

4 of the 6 are injured and Lavender retired, Mckernan is preferred predominantly forward.

It's definitely an issue now and going into next season we need some more depth.

We come into the season with Bellchambers, Draper, Daniher, Stewart, Clarke and Lavender all 200cm players, We also have Mckernan who is an undersized forward/ruck.

4 of the 6 are injured and Lavender retired, Mckernan is preferred predominantly forward.

It's definitely an issue now and going into next season we need some more depth.

Daniher and Stewart werent going to ruck in reality though were they? TBC + Draper are the losses, they're your first 2 choices really

Tough injury run though for you fellas this year. Losing Smith to me was the biggest loss for you guys. Severely underrated.

Daniher and Stewart werent going to ruck in reality though were they? TBC + Draper are the losses, they're your first 2 choices really

Tough injury run though for you fellas this year. Losing Smith to me was the biggest loss for you guys. Severely underrated.

Yep agree the bloke is a machine sets the standard in terms of tackling and applying pressure on game day

Tapwork is a bit better than Grundy but not as effective around the ground. Think Jacobs in his prime is what level I'd hope to see.

Theres a Jacobs in the prime* of his career looking for a new club this offseason :). Keen?

*ok maybe twilight is a better word
You interested in Zac Clarke for him? Didn't think so.

I think our ideal targets would be Scott Jones (Freo), Archie Smith (Brissy), Billy Longer (St.K), Tom Nicholls (GC), Darcy Cameron (Syd) or Ivan Soldo (Rich), those guys in their mid 20's who can be the #1 next year and back themselves to take it for longer but if not can be adequate back up for Draper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You interested in Zac Clarke for him? Didn't think so.

I think our ideal targets would be Scott Jones (Freo), Archie Smith (Brissy), Billy Longer (St.K), Tom Nicholls (GC), Darcy Cameron (Syd) or Ivan Soldo (Rich), those guys in their mid 20's who can be the #1 next year and back themselves to take it for longer but if not can be adequate back up for Draper.

I was kidding mate. I know Sauce has minimal value.

Wouldnt be going near Longer or Nicholls though either... far worse options
Not sure about the other guys, don't know enough about them.

With draper coming through why would you be looking at longer term options?

Billy Longer (St.K), Tom Nicholls (GC) they'd be 2 i'd rule out for sure. .dunno if Jones is any good

I was kidding mate. I know Sauce has minimal value.

Wouldnt be going near Longer or Nicholls though either... far worse options
Not sure about the other guys, don't know enough about them.

With draper coming through why would you be looking at longer term options?
Draper probably doesn't play VFL until June next year at the earliest, maybe makes his AFL debut late next year. I think he'll make it and be a very good ruck but there's no guarantees.

I'm looking at the mid 20's players and thinking I can get the best of both worlds, someone who can be around a while and also would be readymade for next year.

Draper probably doesn't play VFL until June next year at the earliest, maybe makes his AFL debut late next year. I think he'll make it and be a very good ruck but there's no guarantees.

I'm looking at the mid 20's players and thinking I can get the best of both worlds, someone who can be around a while and also would be readymade for next year.
what makes you think the other Rucks are any good like Jones an or Cameron? they might be good at Rucking but are they any good up forward? it does take time for Taller guys to come on, even Laverde isnt Great.

Yeh fair enough, and with Daper's history you'd need a backup.
Just dont think any of the names you mentioned (the ones that I know well) are worth it.

You may as well keep playing Zac Clarke and McKernan.

what makes you think the other Rucks are any good like Jones an or Cameron? they might be good at Rucking but are they any good up forward? it does take time for Taller guys to come on, even Laverde isnt Great.
I don't know how good they are. But they fit the right age profile and their state league numbers are more than solid. And why bring Laverde into the discussion at all? Seems bizarre.

I don't know how good they are. But they fit the right age profile and their state league numbers are more than solid. And why bring Laverde into the discussion at all? Seems bizarre.
Laverde is a Tall Unit, 191cm isnt exactly small is it? is he Brilliant up forward? NO. Draper will have to play some games in the VFL: but not as many as you claim or want. i would think thats pretty much up to the club.afaik Draper is on the senior rookie list, not the VFL list.
on another note, how long is it taking Laverde to be any good ? he's probably better in the VFL than the seniors

Draper IMO needs Game time against the likes of Grundy to help his Game Mature, you can only Learn so much in the VFL

Laverde is a Tall Unit, 191cm isnt exactly small is it? is he Brilliant up forward? NO. Draper will have to play some games in the VFL: but not as many as you claim or want. i would think thats pretty much up to the club.afaik Draper is on the senior rookie list, not the VFL list.
on another note, how long is it taking Laverde to be any good ? he's probably better in the VFL than the seniors

Draper IMO needs Game time against the likes of Grundy to help his Game Mature, you can only Learn so much in the VFL
But it's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Draper did his ACL in May, which is a minimum 12 months, and usually a bit longer for ruckmen. Which means he probably doesn't return until June. Essendon generally slowly build up game time for players coming off an ACL, it took Begley 5 weeks for example to return who had already previously exposed good AFL form, so 5 weeks would be a starting point for Draper to return from. Which would take him to mid July to early August. So we'd be heading through most of the season with an injury prone Tom Bellchambers, a forward in Shaun McKernan and then, umm.

More Gawn than Grundy. He can take a grab and sets up behind the play for a kid still learning the caper. His tap work is already quite good for a kid new(ish) to the game.

Essendon was never going to let him leave, his management have done a stellar job to pry more money from us by extracting the piss and suggestinng St.Kilda were keen. Still, a great signing for us long term.

But it's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Draper did his ACL in May, which is a minimum 12 months, and usually a bit longer for ruckmen. Which means he probably doesn't return until June. Essendon generally slowly build up game time for players coming off an ACL, it took Begley 5 weeks for example to return who had already previously exposed good AFL form, so 5 weeks would be a starting point for Draper to return from. Which would take him to mid July to early August. So we'd be heading through most of the season with an injury prone Tom Bellchambers, a forward in Shaun McKernan and then, umm.
every Ruckman does some kinda injury, TBC isnt or hasnt been immune to injuries an yet he had a brilliant year last year, , i wouldnt worry bout it to much, thats why they pay Dodoro to do that list management job., you dont want a backup Ruckman thats to old, someone young around 22. unless EFC go for another Rookie Ruckman like that Nick Bryan an put him in the VFL for a year.

every Ruckman does some kinda injury, TBC isnt or hasnt been immune to injuries an yet he had a brilliant year last year, , i wouldnt worry bout it to much, thats why they pay Dodoro to do that list management job., you dont want a backup Ruckman thats to old, someone young around 22. unless EFC go for another Rookie Ruckman like that Nick Bryan an put him in the VFL for a year.
Yes, that's why I'm saying we need a back up ruck ideally in their mid 20's who can play if Bellchambers goes down and Draper is still recovering.

Yes, that's why I'm saying we need a back up ruck ideally in their mid 20's who can play if Bellchambers goes down and Draper is still recovering.
you'll have Daniher who can hitout iun the Ruck if Needed, assuming EFC will get Mason Fletcher as a F/S this year, he can also Tap Hitout in the Ruck an play Forward or Defence. i think the main priorities the club will have is More Mids than another Ruck at this time. EFC tend to get Rucks in the Rookie Draft rather than the NAB Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back