Autopsy Round 22, 2019: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that Bruce was struggling to mark all game and not just in the arc but we all know what happens when snake goes fwd.
His shoulders sag and he never does s**t. Why do they keep trying.
Agree here, hasnt worked once so not sure why they keep trying. Our fwd pressure was also off, which i reckon alone could have given us the win if was better and putting Jake in their made us even slower. Easy to coach from the couch tho

I would have thought the fact Bytel posted better numbers (averaged almost 30 disposals and had very high contested and clearance numbers) in his underage year, than the likes of Clark, Worpel, Cerra and Dow did in their draft years, was a very reasonable amount of evidence.

Then went into his draft year expected to go first round (like your boy Worpel, who likewise had an excellent underage year), but missed a big chunk of it due to the back injury, that is now hopefully healed.

Is an inside pig, who is taller, much fitter and much more dual-sided than Dunstan.

No reason not to have high hopes for him if he's back to full fitness. Is just the type we really need if he plays to his ability.

You are still talking about hope though. I agree he's had a very good underage year but plenty of players haven't come on and he's also coming off a pretty substantial injury that required surgery. I hope he makes it but like when we banked Freeman as an elite player, it might be better for him and everyone else to just see what he can do that start dreaming of Brownlows.

The problem with our side is our experienced players are not contributing enough and our youngsters are still learning the craft.

Other teams have experienced players who are stepping up. The classic example is brisbane lions.

I know we don't have any A grade players but our experienced players are playing crap or just an accumulaters.

We can't expect our youngsters to step up in their first/second/third year.

I agree with his qualities and rate him a better play than Savage. Both need to be involved more in offence situation and actually overlap and send the ball inside 50 more. Webster averages 1 inside 50 per game which imo he needs to up that and push harder forward considering he is one of our better ball users.
Webster's has scored only 1.0 in the last 4 seasons - not good enough for a modern hbf'er.

Webster's has scored only 1.0 in the last 4 seasons - not good enough for a modern hbf'er.

He kicked a ripper at Sandy this arvo…………..said to the guy next to me "enjoy that one....there rare"

Lol.

He's not really a modern half back flanker though, he's more your win the ball and get it moving through to the mids type. I think of those modern HBF like JJ or Zac Williams/ Shaw. Jj is the only one that is a big scorer and he's got about 45 in his whole career. Shaw has score a couple in his time at GWS but more at the Pies.

He's also had to play a more defensive role because we lost Roberton x2, and Carlisle had his year off, not to mention the large chunks of the last few years he's missed because of injury, far bigger cog to our chain than most realise I think

A bit harsh from a lot of people writing off Dunstan after one bad game. He has had a very good year and been very consistent for most of the year.

cynical me. did a good job until he got his contract extended

The season was pretty much done done, but there was a faint wishful hope of finals, yet there was a real lack of spark in the second half. Membrey was the only forward who played like a good forward should- lead, present, move to position quickly- the rest were bloody hopeless and let their opponent lead them to the contest.
I hope there is a ruthless clean out at season's end, as we have too many who just don't contribute enough, and it has been another wasted season.

Actually think the midfield was less of a worry yesterday than either end of the ground... no defensive rebound and no where near enough forward pressure, plus Bruce was back to impersonating a potato.

We won most of the meaningful midfield KPI’s.
Not sure why the mids are getting blasted. They did well. Dunstan was a bit quiet, but had some good plays and the best midfielders even have quiter games sometimes. Our forward pressure was non existent yesterday. Casboult, Mckay and Kreuzer took so many contested marks over our talls and we struggled to get it out of defence, partly because of the last point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but that moment from Hunter in the 2nd quarter where he gathers a loose ball under pressure, steps away from the Carlton player trying to tackle him, steps around around player, fakes a handball than perfectly delivers the ball to a teammate 15m away with a kick on his left.
Just another glimpse of why he is going to be an absolute superstar.

He's not really a modern half back flanker though, he's more your win the ball and get it moving through to the mids type. I think of those modern HBF like JJ or Zac Williams/ Shaw. Jj is the only one that is a big scorer and he's got about 45 in his whole career. Shaw has score a couple in his time at GWS but more at the Pies.
I'm not expecting 10 goals a season but one score in a 80+ games is simply not enough. Not sure if its team structure or what but even Gears gets forward enough to have a few shots per year.

Webster poses no threat on the rebound and that is a problem because its means oppo coaches can allow their small forwards to be more attacking and aggressive in positioning.

The same goes for Wilkie but I'm cutting him some slack since its his first year.

You are still talking about hope though. I agree he's had a very good underage year but plenty of players haven't come on and he's also coming off a pretty substantial injury that required surgery. I hope he makes it but like when we banked Freeman as an elite player, it might be better for him and everyone else to just see what he can do that start dreaming of Brownlows.
I dont think the club banked on Freeman being elite after ripping his hammy's off the bone for two years , if they did it shows how stupid we really are

or he just happened to have an underwhelming game after a string of very good games like most player in the competition experience at some stage throughout the year

Re Luke.....he wasn't Robinson Crusoe out there last Sat arvo !

Agree here, hasnt worked once so not sure why they keep trying. Our fwd pressure was also off, which i reckon alone could have given us the win if was better and putting Jake in their made us even slower. Easy to coach from the couch tho
I wonder if it was to get him out of defence & give us more run out of there, rather than trying to improve our forward line?

Lonie is always a liability against a fast attacking HBF, teams put their most attacking flanker on him due to his lack of pace and marking abilities. Lonie is a good little battler but he wont be in any of our GF sides in the future, he has too many weaknesses.
Yes theres no way youll ever see Lonie with a Premiership Medallion hanging around his neck. 13 goals ytd isnt great. Eddie Betts has had a s**t year .. and hes kicked 37.

Yes theres no way youll ever see Lonie with a Premiership Medallion hanging around his neck. 13 goals ytd isnt great. Eddie Betts has had a s**t year .. and hes kicked 37.
Hayes didn’t have medallion around his neck either. Lonie is the best we have at the moment. Our smalls either aren’t good enough or our systems aren’t.

Just for your info canstagna averages one goal a game in a better side. He played in a premiership

The last full season Bytel played wasn't hope though. It actually happened. He performed better in his underage year than many of the best in recent drafts performed when they were a year older. That is a fact, not a myth.

You suggested or implied that those who are indeed hoping that he'll be good aren't actually basing it on anything (evidence), so I provided evidence that he has shown when last fully fit that he can seriously play.

That is what they are basing their hope on.

Now of course his back may explode, or he may get run over by an aeroplane, or trampled by an elephant tomorrow, and he may never play senior game, but if he gets a good run at it from here, I would suggest we have good reason to be optimistic about his prospects.

Because of what he showed he can do when last fully fit. Which it sounds like he might be again now.

You're of course free to not be optimistic about his prospects if you'd prefer though. Makes no difference to me either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back