Prediction Players who will/won’t benefit from a new coach

Remove this Banner Ad

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
I remember in Lyon’s first year we saw the Rebirth of McPhee in defence, Crowley cutting the fat returning as a tagger, Clancee became a regular and Johnson turned his career around. Walters came to town.

On the flip side Broughton became out of favour, after a solid first year in 2011 Nick Lower only played 3 games and out the door, Grover played one then retired quietly. Silvagni found less chances in the 22.

Obviously it’s hard to tell atm as we don’t have a coach..

But my question to you is what players or player on the ropes could benefit with a new coach and system? And who might find themselves on the outer?

Connor Blakely & Adam Cerra - will be played in the midfield

Cam McCarthy - The players will hopefully learn how to hit a target and therefore actually feed his leads

Ethan Hughes - If we get JLO as he created Tom Langdon, he has alot to work with in Hughes and should create something of him too.

Maybe not relevant to this thread but would we be a better team against Port if Mayne and DeBoer were still playing for us? We know their faults but their respective coaches have turned them into key players for their teams.

McCarthy, Nyhuis, Blakely and Cerra would benefit the most. Logue might benefit a bit also. Any new draftees will be much more likely to get a game early if they're showing a bit.

I'm hoping talented youngsters get more of an opportunity in general, than they otherwise would have had under Ross and his roleplayers.

Maybe not relevant to this thread but would we be a better team against Port if Mayne and DeBoer were still playing for us? We know their faults but their respective coaches have turned them into key players for their teams.
No on both. DeBoer was rightfully delisted because of his disposal, he'd be equal with Langdon as worst kick on our list.. He can get away with it at GWS because he's a good fit for them, but we carry too many ball burners as it is, adding another broken link in the scoring chain just enhances the problem further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DeBoer was rightfully delisted because of his disposal, he'd be equal with Langdon as worst kick on our list.. He can get away with it at GWS because he's a good fit for them, but we carry too many ball burners as it is, adding another broken link in the scoring chain just enhances the problem further.

Thank heavens someone else believes this! I was literally pulling my hair out over DeBoer in 2015/16 because for whatever reason he seemed to be the target to kick to at half forward where things would ritually break down for us; we always knew he couldn't kick more than about 35m, and to task him with being the one trying to deliver inside 50 was a disastrous call. And I am fully aware of his many good points as a footballer, by the way.

Everyone will benefit except for Tucker & Wilson.

Hmm, not too sure I agree with that. Tucker has drifted through the team without a clearly defined role for about three seasons now; I think a new coach who can identify a specialty for him can only be a good thing. I do concur that Wilson has been relatively underwhelming given the raps on him from his GWS days - but how much of that is due to the fact that we have very little dynamism currently in ball movement through the middle, ie where he has to kick to, and how much is his playing injured, remains to be seen.

Switkowski could be nervous imo.

Perhaps. I certainly think his lack of confidence in set shots and tendency to spray them to the right is an issue he needs to work on; but Switta is far and away our best pressure player currently in the 22 and you would hope he is a key cog in locking the ball inside our forward line far more than is currently the case.

Who do I think has cause for optimism? I really hope Ryan Nyhuis stays, with a promotion to the main list, because he was clearly in Lyon's bad books for some reason and it was obvious Duman has always been preferred ahead of him. From all the available evidence, he is a tidy lockdown defender not prone to huge brain explosions who plays to structure within his limitations. Cerra is very obviously not a backman's bootlace and needs to move into the middle, but I guess the question is whether he will ever build a big enough tank to play midfield most of a game.

McCarthy is another one who could blossom in a more defined forward structure. But I don't know whether he and Taberner can play together. Matty is a very good contested mark and roaming half forward who does a few too many dumb things; Cam is a very talented goal kicker but cannot win contested situations and struggles to impact when the ball isn't coming his way. It will be interesting to see which way the new coach leans there.

Nervous? Certainly Crowden and Schultz might have concerns and need to work to prove themselves given our surfeit of short forwards. Brennan Cox's bucket hands, his main weapon, just deserted him totally this year with not a lot else besides apart from some reasonable footy nous. I doubt Duman and Hughes can play in the same team unless one of them is groomed as a new wingman, for obvious reasons...

If Longmuir gets the gig. Hopefully he remembers that a 1st year slightly built player (Stephenson) came in from round 1 last year and had a huge impact for them. Speed and aggressive play, he became a real threat in Collingwood's forward line. They've missed him big time this past 10 weeks.

Maybe Liam Henry and Sturt could be the beneficiaries.

Walters - Hogan - Sturt
Henry - Taberner - Matera

Lobb rotating off the bench as the 7th forward/backup ruck.

I'm still of the belief that the rebuild is mainly on track.

Hamling's possession count is almost certainly set to plummet. I can’t imagine we stick with the chip 15m sideways out of a kick in to someone who isn't a great kick. That's going to hopefully get a massive change up... we'll probably kick it 20m sideways!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back