So who’s kicking the goals this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

bellie4pm

Debutant
Jan 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok. Gorilla in the room. Points For has been our achilles heal since Pav. Defensively we’ve matched it with the best but offensively… not so much…

Where do enough goals come from to get us into the top 4? Our talls? Mediums? Smalls? Or will our midfield and step up to score sig more?

Who kicks how many for the season?
And do you think we can score 14-15 goals a game consistently to at least give us a chance of pushing into the finals?

Ok. Gorilla in the room. Points For has been our achilles heal since Pav. Defensively we’ve matched it with the best but offensively… not so much…

Where do enough goals come from to get us into the top 4? Our talls? Mediums? Smalls? Or will our midfield and step up to score sig more?

Who kicks how many for the season?
And do you think we can score 14-15 goals a game consistently to at least give us a chance of pushing into the finals?
We scored within half a goal of Carlton actually and they finished 3rd with the Coleman medalist. Our defense let us down more last year. If we actually got to 14-15 goals I'd be surprised if we weren't top 4.

Sturt and Frederick improvement to cover for Schulz.

Then we need the mids to kick some more goals. I think Serong and Johnson most likely unless Simpson plays.

It's also not unreasonable to be optimistic about all 3 of the big boys adding 5-10 to their tallies.

That will be enough if we can defend again.

We scored within half a goal of Carlton actually and they finished 3rd with the Coleman medalist. Our defense let us down more last year. If we actually got to 14-15 goals I'd be surprised if we weren't top 4.

Sturt and Frederick improvement to cover for Schulz.

Then we need the mids to kick some more goals. I think Serong and Johnson most likely unless Simpson plays.

It's also not unreasonable to be optimistic about all 3 of the big boys adding 5-10 to their tallies.

That will be enough if we can defend again.
Thinking brayshaw has the potential to kick another 10 given no longer required as inside mid.

As you say, the three talls increasing by 5-10. And Sturt hopefully (finally) fulfillinghis potential.

Others?

Thinking brayshaw has the potential to kick another 10 given no longer required as inside mid.

As you say, the three talls increasing by 5-10. And Sturt hopefully (finally) fulfillinghis potential.

Others?
Brayshaw is 100% playing inside mid. I'll be happy if he backs up last year.

Johnson or Serong.

Brayshaw is 100% playing inside mid. I'll be happy if he backs up last year.

Johnson or Serong.
Apols - meant inside mid extractor. Fyfe and brodie now in this role likely to free him up to stream forward and kick more goals.

Nev- 40
Tabs- 30
Dogga - 25
Treacy -18 (When tabs gets injured probs)
Emmett - 15
Sturt -25
Brayshaw - 12
Serong - 10
Switta - 15
Young - 9
Darcy - 10
Fyfe - 15
Johnno - 6
Freddy - 30
Sharp - 7
Sonny - 30

Who did I miss?

Here’s my optimistic opinion. Top 7 are my preferred forwards.

Nev - 50
Dogga - 35
Treacy - 30
Freddy - 30
Sonny - 30
Sturt - 30
Emmett - 25
Switta - 15
Brayshaw - 12
Serong - 10
Young - 10
Fyfe - 10
Johnno - 10
Sharp - 10
Tabs- 10 (from not many games)
Darcy - 5 (will play ruck or bench, may get a couple taking it directly from the ruck in F50)

No idea how we squeeze them in, but I’m sure JOM and Ras will kick 5-10 each.

Nev - 50
Dogga - 35
Treacy - 30
Freddy - 30
Sonny - 30
Sturt - 30
Emmett - 25
Switta - 15
Brayshaw - 12
Serong - 10
Young - 10
Fyfe - 10
Johnno - 10
Sharp - 10
Darcy - 5 (will play ruck or bench, may get a couple taking it directly from the ruck in F50)

If they all kick that many we don’t just have enough goals - we’re the best team ever assembled.

Realistically having two players over 40 goals and four others over 25 with an actual contribution from the midfield would be an amazing result. We can’t have one midfielder kicking 10+ goals for the year (Brayshaw) and everyone else kicking sub-5.

I have a problem with the premise of the question but nobody wants to talk about who's going to be creating all the score launches let alone who's gonna have the highest score involvements.

For those unaware of what a score launch is: Screenshot_20240213-220037.png

Nev - 50
Dogga - 35
Treacy - 30
Freddy - 30
Sonny - 30
Sturt - 30
Emmett - 25
Switta - 15
Brayshaw - 12
Serong - 10
Young - 10
Fyfe - 10
Johnno - 10
Sharp - 10

We’d be up in brissie territory if we did that. Here’s their stats from 26 games. 2023 Brisbane Total Goals Leaders
top few are:
59 (Charlie Cameron - ridiculous!)
then into single figures

(Ps you forgot Simpson)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nev - 50
Dogga - 35
Treacy - 30
Freddy - 30
Sonny - 30
Sturt - 30
Emmett - 25
Switta - 15
Brayshaw - 12
Serong - 10
Young - 10
Fyfe - 10
Johnno - 10
Sharp - 10

If this happens we would be adding a second McClelland to the trophy cabinet

If Treacy starts clunking contested/pack marks as advertised and Amiss continues his development trajectory... what's that?... an extra 30-40 goals? 😶‍🌫️

Hopefully with natural growth in the midfield and someone (plural) popping up out of the box to cover the slack from Schultz (combo of Freddy+, Sturt, Emmett, newbie) well have the entries up and sustained forward territory time to add to that as well.

If this happens we would be adding a second McClelland to the trophy cabinet
I said it was optimistic, however if players were having goal setting sessions prior to the season, I don’t think they are unrealistic targets.
Sonny: keep it up, same again please
Frederick: you kicked 26 from 19 games, if you can stay fit and play those extra 4 games this year, we want to see you kick 30+.
Sturt: great end to the season, 12 goals from 7 games, we’re backing you in and the spot is yours for 23 games, keep doing what you do and 30 goals will be easy.
Jackson: with Knobel coming on strong we promise not to play you as number 1 ruck this year if Darcy is injured, keep doing what you do best and 35 goals should be easy.
Treacy: we’re backing you in as our permanent KPF return the faith and average 1.3 goals a game while providing support for Amiss and the 30 goals will come.
Amiss: outstanding effort, we’re setting you up with permanent support from Treacy and Jackson, keep doing what you do and those extra 9 goals will come.
Emmett, we’re backing you in to take Schultz’s spot, we want you to bring extreme pressure and a goal a game should be achievable.
6x mids: take your chances, if nothing is on in front of you, take the shot, 0.4 goals a game is what you should be targeting.

Nev- 40
Tabs- 30
Dogga - 25
Treacy -18 (When tabs gets injured probs)
Emmett - 15
Sturt -25
Brayshaw - 12
Serong - 10
Switta - 15
Young - 9
Darcy - 10
Fyfe - 15
Johnno - 6
Freddy - 30
Sharp - 7
Sonny - 30

Who did I miss?
Jom

If they all kick that many we don’t just have enough goals - we’re the best team ever assembled.

Realistically having two players over 40 goals and four others over 25 with an actual contribution from the midfield would be an amazing result. We can’t have one midfielder kicking 10+ goals for the year (Brayshaw) and everyone else kicking sub 5

Its exactly this stat that excites me so much.

My theory is we failed to make the finals ulyimately because our midfield was undersized.

Add brodie, fyfe and young and this stops.

Brayshaw, serong, switta, jom, erasmus, johnson all now have more time to kick goals. And improve quantity and quality of supply to forwards.

Honestly believe if fyfe and brodie and young stay fit, we are in the finals👍

Is it just me or is this (where are the goals going to come from) the least worrying thing at the moment for our team? I am more worried about the question of "where is the quick offensive rebound going to come from in 2024?" (Maybe I should just randomly setup a thread with that as the name?)

Is it just me or is this (where are the goals going to come from) the least worrying thing at the moment for our team? I am more worried about the question of "where is the quick offensive rebound going to come from in 2024?" (Maybe I should just randomly setup a thread with that as the name?)
Read somewhere that Wagner and Walker may be ready for round one. Wagner especially, gives us great run.
Clark seemed to imply that that would be his role this year, but in reality he hasn't appeared to be doing it much since joining Freo

Read somewhere that Wagner and Walker may be ready for round one. Wagner especially, gives us great run.
Clark seemed to imply that that would be his role this year, but in reality he hasn't appeared to be doing it much since joining Freo
Clarks greatest offensive moment for freo was the goal he kicked in his first game.. prob coached it out of him since!

Clarks greatest offensive moment for freo was the goal he kicked in his first game.. prob coached it out of him since!
Strange that Wagner was happy to run and carry then. Must have been disobeying coaches orders. Our backline leaks pretty badly when the ball comes in quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the players that are reluctant to roll the dice.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back