Review Find Someone Who Loves You Like Freo Loves Alphabet Stadium - Rd 20 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Starship Troopers GIF
Watched this absolute classic last night funnily enough, it's free on YT. The part where Johnny Rico single-handedly takes down the tanker bug reminded me of Alex Pearce today.

Just watched the game on record.
Quite simply, that needs to be the benchmark moving forwards.
It's as simple as that. We need to be that good every week.
Fantastic win.
Fully agree. It was an unexpected and enjoyable win, and great for morale. But we have to see more now from this group over the next few weeks. People like Switta, Schultz, Pearce, Aish and a few others were excellent today.
It’s consistency however that separates the really top players from the also rans.
Those players are not kids - they are all in their mid or late 20s now and experienced players. The old “young kids, inconsistent week to week” excuse just does not wash for those kind of players. I’ll accept that excuse for Treacy, amiss, Ras, Johnno, Sturt, even Henry if they have a poor week here and there.
But leadership group players have got to be fronting up every week with the same effort and setting the standard and benchmark. Starting next week against Brisbane who are very beatable at Optus.

Watched the replay, nothing much to add to what's already written. That's Pearce's best game and probably Ryans best as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be nice to be able to watch footy TV shows during the week again.

Nah I’ve been pretty happy without them this year. Went back to them for a few weeks when we were winning but god damn are they a waste of time. You wait through a hour of rubbish to hear one backhanded compliment about Freo.

That was a command performance by Alex Pearce. He played at another level tonight.

Also for all those that have been commenting in the Peel Thread that Hamling is cooked/done and dusted/should retire, I think we should acknowledge after this game that he can still be relevant at the highest level, even though he might not perfectly fit the gameplan?
He’s not done yet , a bit slow but still strong in the contest.
Even if Hamling becomes the reincarnation of the “Golden Fist” - Zac Dawson , he will add value .

Hamling was solid today but I think he’s going to be a victim of the list spot squeeze.
If it’s a choice between him and Sturt it’s a no brainer for me who to keep - Sturt every time.
Cox will probably be back next week too, wonder will they drop hamling or Hughes for him
Colyer out
Keep Sturt ?

Nah I’ve been pretty happy without them this year. Went back to them for a few weeks when we were winning but god damn are they a waste of time. You wait through a hour of rubbish to hear one backhanded compliment about Freo.
I simply can’t watch Footy Classified if Maguire is on there
The guy is like a hemaroid ( never had one but I imagine they are horrible )

The only time I watch the other ones is when they are hanging s**t on the Coker’s
They hardly ever talk about Freo

Hamling was solid today but I think he’s going to be a victim of the list spot squeeze.
If it’s a choice between him and Sturt it’s a no brainer for me who to keep - Sturt every time.
Cox will probably be back next week too, wonder will they drop hamling or Hughes for him
How so?
Colyer, Wilson gone and there will be a rookie spot open.

Hamling is a must keep. Feel like Cox doesn’t attack the contest instead of trying to mark it which leads to errors/goals. Whereas Hamling just went for the spoil and use his. LDU to crash through.

How so?

Hamling is a must keep. Feel like Cox doesn’t attack the contest instead of trying to mark it which leads to errors/goals. Whereas Hamling just went for the spoil and use his. LDU to crash through.
There’s a lot to be said for a defender that quietly goes about his business. Might not rebound but doesn’t get beaten or make any howlers.

He actually suits our defence really well as he can lockdown and allow cox and Ryan to be a bit more creative.

He’s also basically an on field coach at Peel which is super valuable.

How so?

Not disagreeing with you but I don’t think we can afford to only have 3 or 4 new players on the list next year.
Over the course of the season our depth has been severely exposed compared to the best sides.
For example, I would keep hamling around for the next year ahead of all the following players if I had a choice:
Corbett
Emmett
Banfield
Hughes

And probably Kuek and Worner too, though to be fair both these guys are unproven.

Unfortunately for Joel, the club chose to contract all those guys beyond 2023. That’s a separate debate and was a mistake IMO to give all of them a contract to 2024, though I accept we had to give some of them new deals. When the club gives out multi year deals to guys that are in their mid 20s and still only the 30th best player on the list - you find yourself in these situations.

We need to take 4 new players in the national draft in my opinion.
We will lose
Colyer
Benning
Wilson

All for certain.
Then we have to add both Banfield and Treacy to the main list from the RL as they are both contracted for 2024 and cannot be rookies.

That leaves one place in the ND. We can delist hamling like you suggest and re rookie him - that would make 2 main list spots.
Then possibly someone like Corbett could be delisted but we are obliged to re rookie him - that makes a 3rd list spot free in the ND.
We would have to pass on the north Melbourne 4th rounder in the ND.
We would also be passing on all our rookie draft picks for any new players - for the first time in history.

Of course of Henry moves or Sturt, that Could free up a 4th or 5th list spot. But we don’t want that do we?

That’s also not accounting for ANY new arrivals via trade or FA, such as Jeremy Sharp or anyone else.

I don’t think it’s realistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back