Review Rd 24 Review - Freo Get the Chocolates in the Deadest of Rubbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Without actually checking, we'd have to be close to the best 14th side of all time? In terms of wins that is?
Since 2012 at least.

We're objectively better than 3 or 4 sides who finished above us. Would you exchange our circumstances for Essendon's for instance?
JL was pretty right comparing this feeling to end of 2021. Young team with good month or so to finish the season. Hopefully minimal turnover compared to last year means we will see the improvement we expect. Only 1 month older and 3 games on average less experienced than Hawthorn who the commentators couldn’t stop harping in about how impressive they were given their age profile.

You could say we’re better than Geelong and Melbourne and Essendon since we beat them and they didn’t beat us. But they might be better vs other teams than we are.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

We need Treacy to start clunking those marks more often. Cox getting 5 contested marks in link up plays is huge, and I don’t think he was missed down back in this instance.
I agree. Treacy gets his hands to a lot so there is scope.

If Lewis played I reckon Cox might have been handy down back.

We need Treacy to start clunking those marks more often. Cox getting 5 contested marks in link up plays is huge, and I don’t think he was missed down back in this instance.

absolutely, depending on match ups it’s a great opportunity to be able to swing cox forward and hamling into the team, treacy has bossed it this season in terms of effort and is usually in the right spots but if we’re hunting for top 8/4 and need to be more ruthless, giving him a spell at peel as he goes 4 weeks goalless is probably a good thing for our chances

another finals run next season is the goal i reckon, get 25~ games into mj, ras, emmett, sturt, amiss, treacy, young, even lj we are looking very formidable

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think my point was that we are not as far off a finals side as a typical 12-14 side is off a finals side. Does that work?

The top nine teams will be thereabouts again. The Crows will also be a finals contender. One of Hawthorn or Gold Coast probably improve quite significantly tbh.

They’d be the 12-13 I’d see competing for finals along with us. The rest of the teams are either just starting a rebuild or are older lists that haven’t realised they need to rebuild yet… then there’s Essendon which is never but simply sh**e.

I think my point was that we are not as far off a finals side as a typical 12-14 side is off a finals side. Does that work?

Happy Chris Hemsworth GIF by Marvel Studios

We're young, have a heap of talented guys in the 18-24 bracket and averaged what, 75 games?

I have a lot of question marks around Longmuir and our forward line but we probably shouldn't have been as s**t as we were this year.

The top nine teams will be thereabouts again. The Crows will also be a finals contender. One of Hawthorn or Gold Coast probably improve quite significantly tbh.

They’d be the 12-13 I’d see competing for finals along with us. The rest of the teams are either just starting a rebuild or are older lists that haven’t realised they need to rebuild yet… then there’s Essendon which is never but simply sh**e.
It's fascinating really. So hard to predict.

Any of the top 4 could fall out in the right circumstances as well.

It's fascinating really. So hard to predict.

Any of the top 4 could fall out in the right circumstances as well.

12-13 would’ve been about as many teams I wouldn’t thought would’ve been in top eight contention at the start of the year tbh.

I wouldn’t even be that surprised if Richmond or Geelong came somewhat good next year. Their youth is beyond sh**e but their veterans might have one last hurrah in them - can’t see either side going past the first week of finals in some time though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox actually went for his marks today. His mini punch, double handed punch and slap have been annoying this year because he can clearly clunk them.

Henry is goneski. The moments after the song were telling

MJ is gonna be Fyfe with a decent kick for goal..

12-13 would’ve been about as many teams I wouldn’t thought would’ve been in top eight contention at the start of the year tbh.

I wouldn’t even be that surprised if Richmond or Geelong came somewhat good next year. Their youth is beyond sh**e but their veterans might have one last hurrah in them - can’t see either side going past the first week of finals in some time though.
It's really only West Coast and North I'll put a line through for 2024. Can see a scenario where any other gets in.

That said, I don't think the Tigers have much left in them and I would be surprised to see them in the 8. Especially if Lynch missing any meaningful amount of footy. Reckon the Cats have past the critical mass for a flag tilt, but they might play finals.

I get that point. 10 wins is usually better than 14th.

On the other hand, we lost to North at home, played a deplorable style of football at times of the year, got smashed off the park by half decent teams like Adelaide, Carlton and GWS

As well as beating teams like Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong at their home decks.

So it’s just a completely inconsistent, random, pick and choose when to go type of year that Fremantle have had far too many of over the past 30 years that is ultimately disappointing.

We should be really well placed for 2024 on paper to hit the finals or even better, but who knows what we’ll get at the end of the day.

Yeah good summary.
All of these teams will be looking to improve and strengthen their lists in the off season just like us.
Would not rule Geelong out so quickly either. They actually have a decent young group of players underneath the surface and have an annoying knack of developing guys well beyond what they might initially have projected as after two or three seasons. Talk of Bailey Smith joining them down there too.

We really have to sort out our home form. 7 defeats at Optus is completely unacceptable. Some of the teams that came over here and bet us were ridiculous in hindsight.

It's really only West Coast and North I'll put a line through for 2024. Can see a scenario where any other gets in.

That said, I don't think the Tigers have much left in them and I would be surprised to see them in the 8. Especially if Lynch missing any meaningful amount of footy. Reckon the Cats have past the critical mass for a flag tilt, but they might play finals.

Should’ve added there’s one or two sides in the eight that made I gave no chance to (St Kilda and GWS)!

Someone will do a Freo and go backwards from no where. They’ll be 2-4 changes to the top eight like there always is

We should be really well placed for 2024 on paper to hit the finals or even better, but who knows what we’ll get at the end of the day.

Urgh. Should be.

We could be top 4 or bottom 4. We are so hard get a read on. I think I'll hibernate until round 1 next year. Go in with expectations of a repeat of this year.

It's so deflating supporting a side that fluctuates this much.

There are always 12-14ish teams who are competing in theory but that rarely eventuates.

We've found out this year that progress isn't linear. A fair few people will have Adelaide jumping into the 8 on the basis of their improvement but they've relied a lot on Walker's goals and are still thin in midfield.

Freo need to be far better but it's by no means a given that the comp gets harder next season.

Last edited:
Who was that dog c*nt who went after Amiss for no reason while Shultz was having a shot on goal in the 3rd (about 5 to go)

Same one who gave him an elbow to the jaw minutes before

Hope the boys remember his number next year and drive his face into the turf

First time we've beaten the Hawks at the G and have finally knocked off all four tenants there (took us long enough).

As much as it was a dead rubber, that was a reasonably important win
Yeah I threw $20 on a hawks win lol

But.... We have finally beaten the hawks at the MCG.

Beaten them once in docklands. That was 2001. In 2021, we finally beat them in Tassie too

Who was that dog c*nt who went after Amiss for no reason while Shultz was having a shot on goal in the 3rd (about 5 to go)

Same one who gave him an elbow to the jaw minutes before

Hope the boys remember his number next year and drive his face into the turf
Blanck hit him off the ball. Thought another guy wrestled with Jye afterward but wouldn’t surprise me if it was Blanck again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back