Review Freo Get a Coffee in Melbourne in the 2nd Quarter of an AFL Match (Rd 18 Review vs Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne’s coffee scene is mostly shite. They use all those hipster fruity beans that seem to be popular over here now too and they never work in anything with any less milk in it than what you all call a short macchiato topped up. The taste just doesn’t work an espresso

As someone who actually likes the taste of an espresso, there are only a few places I can actually stand. Oh and don’t get me started on all the types of macchiato knocking about. There is literally only one type of macchiato by definition and that is with a little dollop of frothed milk (literally translates to spotted)

Wait this isn’t the vent thread?

Also not surprised at all that none of collingwoods dangerous tackles got looked at by the MRP. Literally two sets of rules

Melbourne’s coffee scene is mostly shite. They use all those hipster fruity beans that seem to be popular over here now too and they never work in anything with any less milk in it than what you all call a short macchiato topped up. The taste just doesn’t work an espresso

As someone who actually likes the taste of an espresso, there are only a few places I can actually stand. Oh and don’t get me started on all the types of macchiato knocking about. There is literally only one type of macchiato by definition and that is with a little dollop of frothed milk (literally translates to spotted)

Also not surprised at all that none of collingwoods dangerous tackles got looked at by the MRP. Literally two sets of rules

Collingwood are exempt from the dangerous tackle rule

In 2020 Collingwood won a final and traded their future 1st to gws. That ended up being pick 2. But they could do that because they knew they had a f/s that would’ve used up their first round pick anyway. And he just happened to be the best young player in the game.

So infuriating how Victorian teams (and the northern academies) get to exploit a system so much that already favours them so heavily. Meanwhile we can’t match an academy pick at 27 when every other team can bc god forbid we get an advantage the vice teams don’t.
Dockers will always have everything against them. Good luck Freo winning a flag vs a Victorian club in a grand final.

Good luck 🤞 seeing Freo making a grand final again with this sub standard admin.

Good luck with the west (coast ) Australian paper supporting us.... Unless we make another grand final.

Good luck trying to get decent coaches and players wanting to come here when the club is bad.

Having recently been overseas, if you think Melbourne's coffee is s**t, it just speaks to how incredible the Australian coffee scene is in general. I actually think it's hilarious anyone can sit there and broadly characterize Melbourne coffee as s**t. Not to your taste, maybe, but jesus if your taste isnt basically incredibly discerning

I honestly don't think it gets much more insecure than people melting over some criticism of some stupid coffee from their hometown.
Don't worry .... At least WA doesn't take the title of the worst 🍺 beer.

Victoria bitter takes that title. Mind you South Australias west end beer is bad

I hope the club has people reading this board.

It's a sign of the times that a day and a half post our game the review thread is only 6 pages with most of it senseless dribble about coffee.

No rage. No hope. Just acceptance of our mediocrity.

That Jackson trade is now looking pretty s**t. If it ends up being pick 13, pick 4 and pick 22 for Jackson + 44 & 67 that may be about as bad a trade as there has been. Treloar went for 7 + 7 for Treloar + 65?

I think Jackson has the potential to be elite for us but that is a silly return. The club definitely ****ed that up.

It's a sign of the times that a day and a half post our game the review thread is only 6 pages with most of it senseless dribble about coffee.

That Jackson trade is now looking pretty s**t. If it ends up being pick 13, pick 4 and pick 22 for Jackson + 44 & 67 that may be about as bad a trade as there has been. Treloar went for 7 + 7 for Treloar + 65?

I think Jackson has the potential to be elite for us but that is a silly return. The club definitely ****ed that up.
Yep, you nailed it. I didn't give a s**t about this loss at all, just counting down the clock until this season and Justin Longmuir's tenure as coach is over.

Having recently been overseas, if you think Melbourne's coffee is s**t, it just speaks to how incredible the Australian coffee scene is in general. I actually think it's hilarious anyone can sit there and broadly characterize Melbourne coffee as s**t. Not to your taste, maybe, but jesus if your taste isnt basically incredibly discerning

Don’t get me wrong the way most cafes make coffee over here is insane and I absolutely applaud that. I can get around that and the sheer variety of beans and taste profiles on offer. But not the actual coffee - in its purest form as an espresso. They way most places make it based on their beans on hand doesn’t work with it . It’s not to my taste and certainly not anything close to what is traditionally drunk in Italy, Greece, Spain or anywhere else in the Mediterranean. I have been to Italy probably for the same amount of time I have spent in Melbourne and I have never had a bad coffee in Italy, whereas I think I’ve only had a handful of decent espressos in Melbourne and I don’t feel I should have to change my order becuse the beans are s**t for what they are meant to be traditionally brewed for.

Yep, you nailed it. I didn't give a s**t about this loss at all, just counting down the clock until this season and Justin Longmuir's tenure as coach is over.

I'm not sold on Longmuir getting sacked as the answer. We are probably paying the price for the "restump, replumb, rewire" tactics.

The list is too young and incomplete. The lack of goal hungry players has left us in a hole.

As boring as Longmire is I'm not sure it matters if it means a flag. Ross Lyons pressers were must watch TV for me, I haven't watched any of Longmuirs since his first game. Then again, Craig McCrae has shown what a coach can do for a club especially compared to a favoured son.

I'm ashamed to say for the first time in a long time I am reconsidering my membership next year.

People get annoyed at posters sometimes on here after defeats for showing too much criticism and over reacting.
However they should be happy there is still some passion left.
Once you move on to apathy it’s a dangerous place to be.
We are beginning to become cut adrift in the bottom 4 now.
Lose to Sydney next week and I think pick 4 and pick 23 are heading to Melbourne.
At that price LJ needs to win 3 all Australians to break even on the trade. So unfair on the lad.
For Shames sake, for avoidance of ridicule for the next 2 decades on this, I pray we win a few games and get back up to a more respectable 12th or so on the ladder.
It’s Shambolic

Melbourne and Sydney used to have the best Coffee in Australia (possibly the world) but that was like 10-15 years ago. It hasn't gotten worse but it's just not special anymore.

There are heaps of places in Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide now which are as good (or even better) than places in Melbourne

Speciality coffee is all over the world now, I've had excellent coffee in London, Barcelona, Germany, Denmark and all over the US, all on par with what you'd find in Australia

Also a flat white or a filter shits all over espresso any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest concern is not this year, it is next year.

I don't see where the improvement will come from.

Melbourne and Sydney used to have the best Coffee in Australia (possibly the world) but that was like 10-15 years ago. It hasn't gotten worse but it's just not special anymore.

There are heaps of places in Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide now which are as good (or even better) than places in Melbourne

Speciality coffee is all over the world now, I've had excellent coffee in London, Barcelona, Germany, Denmark and all over the US, all on par with what you'd find in Australia

Also a flat white or a filter shits all over espresso any day of the week.
I find the coffee here in germany terrible...

The biggest concern is not this year, it is next year.

I don't see where the improvement will come from.

We are getting slaughtered in the midfield. I would hope it is from the natural progression of Johnson, Erasmus, Brayshaw + Serong.

As much as it frustrates me they are all so bloody young.

I was pulling my hair out at the fact that O'Meara, Aish and Brayshaw seemed to attend most CBA on Saturday. Get Johnson in there. He's wiry but massive.

Just because not everybody is running around melting and wanting to burn everything down doesn't mean they aren't deeply concerned and thinking about what is and needs to happen or "accepting mediocrity" derp.

We are getting slaughtered in the midfield. I would hope it is from the natural progression of Johnson, Erasmus, Brayshaw + Serong.

As much as it frustrates me they are all so bloody young.

I was pulling my hair out at the fact that O'Meara, Aish and Brayshaw seemed to attend most CBA on Saturday. Get Johnson in there. He's wiry but massive.
Midfield getting slaughtered.
Forward lacks class.
Midfield lacks outside run as well.

Just because not everybody is running around melting and wanting to burn everything down doesn't mean they aren't deeply concerned and thinking about what is and needs to happen or "accepting mediocrity" derp.

I didn't intend for that to read like a whole "the supporters accept mediocrity therefore mediocrity is manifest" kind of deal.

It is just a very different review thread to a month ago. And I know I am a bit confused about what to make of our current situation. While I take the clubs 5 year strategic plan with a grain of salt, the current administration has been quite bullish about our current prospects. A bottom 4 finish is definitely not what I had in mind for this season.

I'm definitely in the acceptance we suck and not caring as much spot. Honestly, being on here so much, if I dont take that position football just starts to be a massive mental drain and it not healthy. Not watching games live has put me in a much healthier spot and it's easier to treat it as a hobby and a bit of fun rather then a personality trait that it can be for some people.

I'm definitely in the acceptance we suck and not caring as much spot. Honestly, being on here so much, if I dont take that position football just starts to be a massive mental drain and it not healthy. Not watching games live has put me in a much healthier spot and it's easier to treat it as a hobby and a bit of fun rather then a personality trait that it can be for some people.
It's very disappointing and annoying but at the end of the day it is just a game.

I'm still going to go to the game v Sydney when I'm in Perth this weekend.

I didn't intend for that to read like a whole "the supporters accept mediocrity therefore mediocrity is manifest" kind of deal.

It is just a very different review thread to a month ago. And I know I am a bit confused about what to make of our current situation. While I take the clubs 5 year strategic plan with a grain of salt, the current administration has been quite bullish about our current prospects. A bottom 4 finish is definitely not what I had in mind for this season.
Season is over, simple as that. We can all move into acceptance once that happens, there is no longer hope for the year and no longer frustration.
There is at least plenty of hope for the future.
It is not controversial to say we have the talent, we just have to develop it now.

I was thinking about it just today, how no matter how poor we're going, I still love going and watching the team every other week. It's sites like this that kinda get you way too sucked in to the point where you can't just enjoy watching your team, but instead it starts to consume a lot of your thoughts and daily life. I for one know it was much healthier for me back in 2018-2021 areas where we were mid table and I would forget the game the next day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back