Review Rd 24 Review - Freo Get the Chocolates in the Deadest of Rubbers

Remove this Banner Ad

I think my point was that we are not as far off a finals side as a typical 12-14 side is off a finals side. Does that work?
Well we made finals and won an Elim final last season.

We are not a terrible side. Narrow home losses to north Melbourne, Richmond, port and Brisbane cost us.

Who was that dog c*nt who went after Amiss for no reason while Shultz was having a shot on goal in the 3rd (about 5 to go)

Same one who gave him an elbow to the jaw minutes before

Hope the boys remember his number next year and drive his face into the turf
It was Blank. Don't worry about it though, he's a pissant nobody who'll be out of the league very soon.

Yeah looks like a perfect target for Treacy's knee
I think my favourite part of the game was watching Newcombe (who's got a well earned rep for being physical and hard at it) just bounce off Treacy in the middle. The Big Cohuna didn't even move. Going to be terrifying in another year or so.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So, here we are at the end of the season. Last game. I just finished watching the game and JL's presser...and there might have been a few beers involved too. 😝 If you want some insightful comments, look elsewhere. I'm just gonna dump and share my thoughts after another season done and dusted. Here are some random, beer-induced thoughts.

• If this was a battle of the young and upcoming teams, we dominated. We're young but we are fu**** talented. More best 22 under 22 than any team. I get it that some of you die hards have heard this before, but doesn't it feel different.
  • I. Love. Amiss. His composure. His unflappability (which is just another way of saying composure). His demeanor. Presence. I'm so glad dude is signed on until 2058.
  • fu**** the MCG. Why is the GF played there until 2058? That contract should be torn up.
  • Love Johnson. His ability to stand up in a tackle and get the ball out is incredible. Incredible Hulk. A few more kilos and no one will be able to bring him down. Could he be Fyfe 2.0?
  • Cox is a defender. Stop putting him up top ffs. See next comment.
  • As JL said in his presser, the structure they are going for requires another tall in the forward line (hence, Cox). If you think Darcy is gonna be traded, you're not paying attention. Dogga in the forward line and Hodor in the ruck next year. Love it. Dont' give a shirt about Gawn/Grundy and how "it hasn't worked out". Totally different players. It's like comparing apples to a Jeep fu**** Wrangler. I 100% support this. We are a better team with them both on the field.
  • I. Love. Tom. Emmett. Hard. Big bodied. I love Schultz, switta, walters, and freddy, but Emmett brings a different dimension. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up next year.
  • Brayshaw. He had 30+ touches and a goal but I don't feel like I notice him like the last couple years. Why is that? He doesn't seem as damaging. Less tackles? idk bit it's interesting...
  • Serong. Make that dude captain. Now. He's my buddy this year and even though his s**t kicks from clearances where he just throws it on his boot are fu**** infuriating, he's a hell of a player and ambassador for the club. He flies the Freo flag with the best of them. I would be proud to be a supporter of a club with him as the skipper.
  • Sonny. He's still got it. He's the heart and soul of this team. Glad he's signed on for 2 more years.
  • Fyfe. Why did we give him 2 more years? I love Fyfe at peak powers. Easily my fav player 2012-2015. But, that 2 year contract seems...not ideal. Honestly, as I was watching the game, I just don't see where he fits in. Our midfield is packed with young talent and our forward line has plenty of options. Where does he fit? Who comes out?
  • Our handball chains were fantastic. Quick. Precise. Were we perfect? Nope. But, when we get out of the congestion and into open space we can damage teams. I want to see more of this next year.
  • Not sure what to do about Liam Henry. He's got a lot of potential and does some great things. I really want to keep him, but if he's chasing money, I think we have to let him go. We can't keep them all. Langdon. Acres. Hill. Henry?
  • Are Warner and Wagner the same person? Can someone please spray paint one of them highlighter pink? Wtf? Cheers and thank you.
  • Gosh, why do we play a game where we lower our eyes and hit the leading forward or open option and then the next game bomb it i50 to a huge pack? This literally makes me scream at my TV. It's the biggest mystery, for me, of the season. I don't get it. It's like we have a different style/game plan for every opponent. I say, play your game and let the oppo adjust.
  • Jordan clark has been an underratted player in my eyes. Can you get any more solid of a HB than him? So quick. Him and Freddy are my fav two players when they have the ball. I love watching them burst forward. Such a great trade. Thank you Cats.
  • Speaking of trades, why did the Hawks have Meek as the sub? A ruckman? wtf? Clearly some 4D chess going on there that I'm not smart enough to understand. The Hawks lost by 37, so I guess it's paying off for them.
  • Young to the midfield is going to be fun to watch. Where does he fit with Erasmus and Johnson in there too? Not sure, but it's good to have options. Based on what him and others have said in interviews, he's had his eye on the midfield for a while.
  • Its been three years and I can barely get through JLs press conferences. I want to like the guy. I want to believe. But, ffs he's the umm stiffest, umm most inarticulate, umm cough coach I've ever seen. However, sayin that, I don't give a crap what he's like in pressers. If the players back him, I back him.
  • Why the fu** are there so many birds on the MCG? Do they seed it to attract them? I've watched hundreds, if not thousands, of sports games from baseball to american football, to soccer, to lacrosse, to rugby, to fu** polo and there is no place on Earth where birds hangout and chill during a game. Why the hell do players have to run through flocks of birds? Set a trap. Poison them. Shoot them. Seriously. What the fu is going on there?

And finally, I just want to say, thanks to all the Freo faithful for attending games and bringing the heat in person when I obviously can't. Some day I'll join you. 😊 I know it's not the season we wanted but enjoy the ride. It's not the end of the world if they don't make finals. I'm looking forward to next year.

On to the off season!

So, here we are at the end of the season. Last game. I just finished watching the game and JL's presser...and there might have been a few beers involved too. 😝 If you want some insightful comments, look elsewhere. I'm just gonna dump and share my thoughts after another season done and dusted. Here are some random, beer-induced thoughts.

• If this was a battle of the young and upcoming teams, we dominated. We're young but we are fu**** talented. More best 22 under 22 than any team. I get it that some of you die hards have heard this before, but doesn't it feel different.
  • I. Love. Amiss. His composure. His unflappability (which is just another way of saying composure). His demeanor. Presence. I'm so glad dude is signed on until 2058.
  • fu**** the MCG. Why is the GF played there until 2058? That contract should be torn up.
  • Love Johnson. His ability to stand up in a tackle and get the ball out is incredible. Incredible Hulk. A few more kilos and no one will be able to bring him down. Could he be Fyfe 2.0?
  • Cox is a defender. Stop putting him up top ffs. See next comment.
  • As JL said in his presser, the structure they are going for requires another tall in the forward line (hence, Cox). If you think Darcy is gonna be traded, you're not paying attention. Dogga in the forward line and Hodor in the ruck next year. Love it. Dont' give a shirt about Gawn/Grundy and how "it hasn't worked out". Totally different players. It's like comparing apples to a Jeep fu**** Wrangler. I 100% support this. We are a better team with them both on the field.
  • I. Love. Tom. Emmett. Hard. Big bodied. I love Schultz, switta, walters, and freddy, but Emmett brings a different dimension. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up next year.
  • Brayshaw. He had 30+ touches and a goal but I don't feel like I notice him like the last couple years. Why is that? He doesn't seem as damaging. Less tackles? idk bit it's interesting...
  • Serong. Make that dude captain. Now. He's my buddy this year and even though his s*t kicks from clearances where he just throws it on his boot are fu*** infuriating, he's a hell of a player and ambassador for the club. He flies the Freo flag with the best of them. I would be proud to be a supporter of a club with him as the skipper.
  • Sonny. He's still got it. He's the heart and soul of this team. Glad he's signed on for 2 more years.
  • Fyfe. Why did we give him 2 more years? I love Fyfe at peak powers. Easily my fav player 2012-2015. But, that 2 year contract seems...not ideal. Honestly, as I was watching the game, I just don't see where he fits in. Our midfield is packed with young talent and our forward line has plenty of options. Where does he fit? Who comes out?
  • Our handball chains were fantastic. Quick. Precise. Were we perfect? Nope. But, when we get out of the congestion and into open space we can damage teams. I want to see more of this next year.
  • Not sure what to do about Liam Henry. He's got a lot of potential and does some great things. I really want to keep him, but if he's chasing money, I think we have to let him go. We can't keep them all. Langdon. Acres. Hill. Henry?
  • Are Warner and Wagner the same person? Can someone please spray paint one of them highlighter pink? Wtf? Cheers and thank you.
  • Gosh, why do we play a game where we lower our eyes and hit the leading forward or open option and then the next game bomb it i50 to a huge pack? This literally makes me scream at my TV. It's the biggest mystery, for me, of the season. I don't get it. It's like we have a different style/game plan for every opponent. I say, play your game and let the oppo adjust.
  • Jordan clark has been an underratted player in my eyes. Can you get any more solid of a HB than him? So quick. Him and Freddy are my fav two players when they have the ball. I love watching them burst forward. Such a great trade. Thank you Cats.
  • Speaking of trades, why did the Hawks have Meek as the sub? A ruckman? wtf? Clearly some 4D chess going on there that I'm not smart enough to understand. The Hawks lost by 37, so I guess it's paying off for them.
  • Young to the midfield is going to be fun to watch. Where does he fit with Erasmus and Johnson in there too? Not sure, but it's good to have options. Based on what him and others have said in interviews, he's had his eye on the midfield for a while.
  • Its been three years and I can barely get through JLs press conferences. I want to like the guy. I want to believe. But, ffs he's the umm stiffest, umm most inarticulate, umm cough coach I've ever seen. However, sayin that, I don't give a crap what he's like in pressers. If the players back him, I back him.
  • Why the fu** are there so many birds on the MCG? Do they seed it to attract them? I've watched hundreds, if not thousands, of sports games from baseball to american football, to soccer, to lacrosse, to rugby, to fu** polo and there is no place on Earth where birds hangout and chill during a game. Why the hell do players have to run through flocks of birds? Set a trap. Poison them. Shoot them. Seriously. What the fu is going on there?

And finally, I just want to say, thanks to all the Freo faithful for attending games and bringing the heat in person when I obviously can't. Some day I'll join you. 😊 I know it's not the season we wanted but enjoy the ride. It's not the end of the world if they don't make finals. I'm looking forward to next year.

On to the off season!
Grass seed.

It was good to see Freddy play the entire game on the wing & Cox forward to try a curtail Sicily, which sort of worked by allowing the other forwards some freedom & gave them the corridor to lead into without Sicily continually being there.

Hopefully Freddy can have a solid preseason, build his tank further & just play that role for the rest of his life at Freo, it’s the position on the ground he’s best suited too.

It was good to see Freddy play the entire game on the wing & Cox forward to try a curtail Sicily, which sort of worked by allowing the other forwards some freedom & gave them the corridor to lead into without Sicily continually being there.

Hopefully Freddy can have a solid preseason, build his tank further & just play that role for the rest of his life at Freo, it’s the position on the ground he’s best suited too.

we’ve managed to get switta and shoota a lot more involved the last few weeks, both up around 17-20+ touches a game which i think is one of our strengths, with walters in we can also push freddy up the wing a bit and give him the paddock to roam. guess the idea is to keep him fat side boot it to his advantage and let him out sprint his opponent into an i50

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one
Yeah I threw $20 on a hawks win lol

But.... We have finally beaten the hawks at the MCG.

Beaten them once in docklands. That was 2001. In 2021, we finally beat them in Tassie too
Yeah I threw $20 on a hawks win lol

But.... We have finally beaten the hawks at the MCG.

Beaten them once in docklands. That was 2001. In 2021, we finally beat them in Tassie too
No one cares

Pretty certain it was Blanck both times.
Treacy is the closest thing we have to an enforcer. He hasn't been throwing his weight around as much as I would've liked this season (besides that beautiful bump a few rounds ago). I want to see him re-enact his draft video.

I’ve been pretty vocal in my positive thoughts around this squad, so I won’t go on about it.

What I haven’t seen too much before today was a hard and tough edge. Treacy, Emmett and Johnson are all going to have the physical prowess to hurt people if they desire.

Once some of these boys grow into men, look out!

Our number one objective is to keep this squad together (Henry aside). Time and good coaching is what we need.

I’ve been pretty vocal in my positive thoughts around this squad, so I won’t go on about it.

What I haven’t seen too much before today was a hard and tough edge. Treacy, Emmett and Johnson are all going to have the physical prowess to hurt people if they desire.

Once some of these boys grow into men, look out!

Our number one objective is to keep this squad together (Henry aside). Time and good coaching is what we need.
I'm gonna watch the replay tonight and just imagine the possibilities with MJ. The ceiling on him with his composure and unbelievable strength is through the roof.

I'm gonna watch the replay tonight and just imagine the possibilities with MJ. The ceiling on him with his composure and unbelievable strength is through the roof.
Did you catch that tackle he made in the last quarter?

Opponent was running wide of him, with momentum, and he had to just stick the arm out, but ******* absolutely nailed him.

His strength is incredible.

Did you catch that tackle he made in the last quarter?

Opponent was running wide of him, with momentum, and he had to just stick the arm out, but ******* absolutely nailed him.

His strength is incredible.
Yeah, even posted in the match thread on that one. It wasnt one of skinny kids either, I need to check who it was because he just ******* bodied him

Treacy is the closest thing we have to an enforcer. He hasn't been throwing his weight around as much as I would've liked this season (besides that beautiful bump a few rounds ago). I want to see him re-enact his draft video.
He gave Newcombe a decent bump in the middle, made some terrific tackles. Blanck likes the cheap stuff.

• Jordan clark has been an underratted
This is all down to opposition pressure. When we play the weaker teams that don’t apply as much midfield pressure we look fantastic delivering i50.
When we play the likes of Collingwood now, or Richmond when they were at their peak, the handballs are all harder to execute out of traffic meaning the resultant kick i50 is rushed and under more pressure.

It’s a concern I have with JL gameplan in the midfield which relies on lots of precision, high degree of difficulty handball chains. Under finals like pressure and intensity (which we will need to navigate to win a flag) it’s only takes one handball to be at a guys knees instead of his chest and the turnover happens.
I’d like to see us tweak the gameplan a bit so that the ball is kicked i50 sooner from the spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back