Review Freo Just not Quite Good Enough - Rd 23 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

What I've learnt from this season especially is I need to stop letting myself get so emotionally invested or let Freo effect my mood.
I've slowly getting better at it throughout the season (occupied with AFL fantasy for the most part helped me with this).

Shoutout to the peeps that had the foresight and ability to emotionally check out in round 2 after the North Melbourne loss. That was the right play in hindsight.

Not sure how many BF posters actually at the game. Certainly a different perspective as to watching it on the box.

One really clear problem at the ground which stood out (yet again) was how Freo allowed Port the first kick after a behind to an uncontested player, then to another, then to another. Each port player was just zoned off and many many times Port moved it from backline to our backine without any contested pocessions. We start just about every attacking move from our half backline. And we dont just zone off a bit, “tempting them”, we are so far off them we can never intercept.

When Port kick a point, they man up every short option and Luke Ryan is forced to kick 50m long down the line and incur the wrath of BF posters.

Sure, we missed some goals, sure their midfielders are better ( in fact best in the AFL) but we should at least be controlling the controllables.

Bad coachi

I hated this one. We are finishing the year like we started it. Slow, slow, slow possession footy.
Feels like we've learned nothing.
Poor kicking, poor finishing, poor forward 50 entries, poor skills in general.

Yes the effort was good and yes Port are a better team and matched them for effort and intensity but it doesn't mean much when the skills are so awful.
Worner was pretty awful at times and Erasmus is looking more and more like a bust every time I see him. He can moved well and get through traffic but he has terrible skills. I'll be ecstatic if he proves me wrong next year.

Like Emmett. He certainly doesn't lack for effort and his kicking was much better than I was expecting after WAFL reports.

If as I expect we get done by a faster, more skilful Hawks next week I will feel like teams below us that started rebuilding later are going passed us.
North with Harley Reid are going to be bloody good. They won't be feeling so bad about JUH going home now.

Still we've got a few good players in the sheds who can hopefully make a difference next year. God it would be something if the footy Gods gave us a fully fit Fyfe back.

How many classy players do Fremantle have?

Walters, amiss and that's probably it.

Seeing for all the amazing things that he is lacks class. Brayshaw too.

Young for the elite kick that he supposedly is doesn't show his class ball in hand.

Young, Brayshaw X2 and serong missing their set shots today were so predictable.

MJ was meant to be one of the better kicks in his draft but I'm yet to see him actually hit a target inside 50 on a lead or a kick that opens up the play. It's either a simple chip kick or a headless bomb.

Watching our mids butcher kicks inside 50 all day then seeing tod bloody Marshall sublimely pick out Rioli was infuriating AF.

AB is my fave player but what exactly is he. A low clearance winning inside to outside mid with questionable disposal?

70m out who do you want kicking inside 50? You struggle to think of someone. Theoretically young? Days gone by would be Mundy and Walters

45meters out slight angle at a pivotal time how many players do you trust to kick it?

We make things look ridiculously hard. We've been out so many times this year but have absolutely butchered it. Think the only time we were out and got a set shot on goal was hitting Shultz pretty much on the boundary line. Every other team gets a shot 30 out on a slight angle.

Even our handballing on the overlap, a simple skill, is atrocious. The player running past has to pause and halt his momentum coz it's rarely delivered in his stride.
This is one of the best posts I’ve read in here this year. Brilliantly written and 100% true.
I think many posters on here are really overrating our midfield, in particular its future prospects. Brayshaw and Serong are great guys, tough hard workers that do everything right. But you know what? Anyone who said they had confidence in these guys to kick those crucial goals today when they were lining up those shots is lying to themselves deep down.
The best players have class with the ball in hand. Silky smooth touch, poise, skills.
We are so drastically lacking that kinda player in our midfield.
Top midfielders kick goals.
People were arguing here during the week “oh but our guys don’t spend much time up front, it’s not fair to compare their goal scoring records to other players”
The fact is if those 4 goals were kicked today we win the game. If Daicos, Pendlebury and Degoey take those 4 set shots for Collingwood, they would score at least 3. That’s the difference.
I remember about 2 years ago david Mundy kicked 3 goals and had 30 disposals as a 36 year old v north Melbourne. None of our current mids are capable of something like that IMO.
I love the look of Amiss and also Sturt in recent weeks. When the ball is in their hands you feel reassured, like something good will be created. The problem is walters is nearly done. Treacy for all his work and effort which makes him a real fan favourite, has very little class. That set shot miss today was just unforgivable at this level.
Your last point about handballing errors on the overlap is down to raw talent. We are asking players to don’t have enough talent to play that style to implement it anyway.
Whenever I see people talk about skill errors that really means a lack of talent. The most talented players don’t make as many skill errors. You won’t see Amiss giving a dumb handball behind someones back or throwing the ball on the boot with no composure. I’m really not sure what the solution is TBH.
So much depends on Erasmus and Johnson making it. They do have time on their hands still I guess.
Can we please not draft more ball butchers though? For one draft I’d like to see us focus exclusively on skilled ball users instead of pressure maniacs with no composure. Players like Ashton Moir and Riley Hardemann sound like what we need. I don’t care what knocks they might have around tacking and pressure.

Can we please not draft more ball butchers though? For one draft I’d like to see us focus exclusively on skilled ball users instead of pressure maniacs with no composure. Players like Ashton Moir and Riley Hardemann sound like what we need. I don’t care what knocks they might have around tacking and pressure.
We are questionable off field.

Here's a compounding group of associated decisions which indicate a lack of vision:
  • I don't want to judge Erasmus, but Wanganeen-Milera certainly looks like a better fit.
  • That comes into sharper focus with Brodie losing favour and being relegated to depth for Fyfe and O'Meara. Or not being compatible in the same side.
  • Fyfe, Brodie and O'Meara all signed on for the future despite it being apparent they are incompatible in the best 22 midfield. This also resulted in the failed strategy to focus the forward line around Fyfe.
  • this co-exists with a need to put development time in front of their replacements Johnson and Erasmus.
  • this also co-exists with the somewhat obvious trial of Young in the midfield despite no significant pre-season exploration of the strategy.

I agree with Snuffaluphagus that outcoached probably gets too much of a workout, including by myself. Many factors that resulted in this defeat may not exist as the list matures. But I see the list as an end result of decision making at the higher level. We must improve those areas.
  • be ruthless in trades and don't throw in a second rounder for what is a done deal.
  • don't let required players come out of contract before deciding to join the auction that we have enabled.
  • recognise that losing a midfield assistant coach is a significant loss and prevent it or cover the loss.
  • recognise that a rookie coach may benefit from some level of mentoring and support and put it in place

I'm not going to look at the penultimate game this year and have a crack at individual players for the loss (the first loss we have against the Power in WA). We can bemoan our forward line, but in a round where Jesse Hogan kicked 9, the result of this game and this season is better seen in the context of the broader decision making at our club.

Our pressure was very good in this game (we actually caught their much praised midfielders like Rozee htb numerous times), but specifically our delivery from F50 into our forwards was too slow, we didn't honour good leads by Sturt and Amiss (even the kick to Jackson that resulted in a goal was IMO the wrong choice), and the few times we did we either put it over their head or down by their feet. Down the other end, Port did not have the same hesitations, with Rioli and others making the most of limited opportunities.

How much of this is skill level, degradation of skill level due to fatigue or just above the shoulders, who could say, but the difference in the teams played out as the empiric win / loss ratios that both teams possess.

Our pressure was very good in this game (we actually caught their much praised midfielders like Rozee htb numerous times), but specifically our delivery from F50 into our forwards was too slow, we didn't honour good leads by Sturt and Amiss (even the kick to Jackson that resulted in a goal was IMO the wrong choice), and the few times we did we either put it over their head or down by their feet. Down the other end, Port did not have the same hesitations, with Rioli and others making the most of limited opportunities.

How much of this is skill level, degradation of skill level due to fatigue or just above the shoulders, who could say, but the difference in the teams played out as the empiric win / loss ratios that both teams possess.
The fact that our pressure was so good is rather depressing to be honest when you think of how the game played out.
It says that we were trying as hard as we could but still couldn’t win.
It does raise a broader question too - if a team is running around with their pressure rating at 200 plus all game (elite on the fox footy presureometer), is that even sustainable?
Can players be composed and make tough decisions if you they absolutely stuffed from pressuring like crazed lunatics all game?

Modern coaches are obsessed with pressure and you hear all the time about how happy they are when pressure is up but port yesterday were sitting at average on the pressure gauge and just picking us off, their superior ability in the forward half just came though in the end. It could be a more sustainable approach over a long hard season.
I thought port were impressive yesterday, I’d have them ahead of brisbane and I think they’ll be grand finalists.

I seriously think a lot of you on here suffer from bipolar. When we are going ok it’s all praise but when things don’t go right half of them are all of a sudden no good. Have some patience!

I read the whole thread and most of it looks like pretty well reasoned criticism for a team that should be performing a lot better than we are this far into a rebuild. I’ve seen way more irrational ranting on here in the past

But yea we do all have bipolar as Freo supporters anyway

Good insight as ever. At the game, boy it was frustrating to watch those good leads burned and goal chances wasted while Port ran with theirs. And also great to see the successful pressure we applied for much of the time.

Re missed goals by Treacy, Brayshaw, Serong: I loved watching Treacy when he first played for us, he looked like he was having fun and I remember some good goal kicking. He's more serious/concerned now and you could almost see the thought bubble when he lined up near us - "I won't kick this". Andy and Caleb run themselves into the ground week after week trying to get the team over the line - and I'm never too surprised (though disappointed) when their goal shots fail. It should also be noted that till recently, having worked on his goal-kicking, Andy had become fairly reliable.

Yesterday we had Worner, Banfield, Emmett, Erasmus, Johnson (and Wagner and Sturt) who've spent most of their time at Peel, lined up against a solid top 4 outfit studded with top end picks. Of course I rue Freo's lost chances and poor skills. But even with the inexperienced mob Freo fielded, the boys still had some good possession chains (not enough, but they had them) and kept Port to a 16 point win.

We sit near the Freo bench and I saw so many of our young'uns come off absolutely gassed. Yet despite Port's blistering third quarter our boys fought it out to the end - and actually won the last quarter.

I'm staying to see the next episode and the next season. Go Freo!

I didn’t mind the change in strategy so we could specifically avoid Aliir and their rebound but the skills really ****ed it. In reflection, it might have just added to the confusion and the team wasn’t ready to be able to change like that. They definitely missed chances moving the ball forward by being OVERLY cautious.

I really think there is a fair bit of dramatisation on the game. We lost the game on skills and our skills honestly haven’t been that level of bar all year, including kicking at goal

This is one of the best posts I’ve read in here this year. Brilliantly written and 100% true.
I think many posters on here are really overrating our midfield, in particular its future prospects. Brayshaw and Serong are great guys, tough hard workers that do everything right. But you know what? Anyone who said they had confidence in these guys to kick those crucial goals today when they were lining up those shots is lying to themselves deep down.
The best players have class with the ball in hand. Silky smooth touch, poise, skills.
We are so drastically lacking that kinda player in our midfield.
Top midfielders kick goals.
People were arguing here during the week “oh but our guys don’t spend much time up front, it’s not fair to compare their goal scoring records to other players”
The fact is if those 4 goals were kicked today we win the game. If Daicos, Pendlebury and Degoey take those 4 set shots for Collingwood, they would score at least 3. That’s the difference.
I remember about 2 years ago david Mundy kicked 3 goals and had 30 disposals as a 36 year old v north Melbourne. None of our current mids are capable of something like that IMO.
I love the look of Amiss and also Sturt in recent weeks. When the ball is in their hands you feel reassured, like something good will be created. The problem is walters is nearly done. Treacy for all his work and effort which makes him a real fan favourite, has very little class. That set shot miss today was just unforgivable at this level.
Your last point about handballing errors on the overlap is down to raw talent. We are asking players to don’t have enough talent to play that style to implement it anyway.
Whenever I see people talk about skill errors that really means a lack of talent. The most talented players don’t make as many skill errors. You won’t see Amiss giving a dumb handball behind someones back or throwing the ball on the boot with no composure. I’m really not sure what the solution is TBH.
So much depends on Erasmus and Johnson making it. They do have time on their hands still I guess.
The contrast stood out like a sore thumb yesterday. One piece of play yesterday with the game still up for grabs and the ball in forward 50 we were handballing it around no one had the skill or confidence to get a snap off (walters prob could have), meanwhile Butters is kicking goals over his head and JHF is take a couple of bounces and slotting it running towards the boundary.

We have a lot of players who are capable of playing in a premiership side but they are more the players 16-23 in a premiership side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The contrast stood out like a sore thumb yesterday. One piece of play yesterday with the game still up for grabs and the ball in forward 50 we were handballing it around no one had the skill or confidence to get a snap off (walters prob could have), meanwhile Butters is kicking goals over his head and JHF is take a couple of bounces and slotting it running towards the boundary.

We have a lot of players who are capable of playing in a premiership side but they are more the players 16-23 in a premiership side.
I saw Serong kick a pretty handy goal in a derby not that long ago

I didn’t mind the change in strategy so we could specifically avoid Aliir and their rebound but the skills really ****ed it. In reflection, it might have just added to the confusion and the team wasn’t ready to be able to change like that. They definitely missed chances moving the ball forward by being OVERLY cautious.

I really think there is a fair bit of dramatisation on the game. We lost the game on skills and our skills honestly haven’t been that level of bar all year, including kicking at goal
Ball movement was also terrible and it is something we clearly don't drill. When the players were in possession they looked really lost and weren't playing on instinct. When we did manage to move the ball quickly our handballs were overused and our targets poorly chosen. If we fix this up we will get the ball I50 more quickly and score more as a result. No more useless game simulations during the preseason please, just drill ball movement.

Ball movement was also terrible and it is something we clearly don't drill. When the players were in possession they looked really lost and weren't playing on instinct. When we did manage to move the ball quickly our handballs were overused and our targets poorly chosen. If we fix this up we will get the ball I50 more quickly and score more as a result. No more useless game simulations during the preseason please, just drill ball movement.
I agree with the first sentence but I'm putting that down to what I said about changing up the gameplan. It was a clear plan to be more deliberate with the ball movement and it would have worked ok if the skills werent terrible. It did seem to have the side effect though of confusing the playing group and they missed opportunities to move the ball they would normally take.

It’s been mentioned a couple of times but it boiled my blood watching Sturt & Amiss leading straight up from goal being burned over & over while someone stood there paralyzed with indecision before kicking it up for Alir to pick off.

At one stage Sturt was visibly frustrated & I don’t blame him. His biggest asset is his lead& finishing.

The same could be seen from behind the goals. Players leading into space in the corridor to be ignored in favor of the trusty bomb to the wing.

It’s been mentioned a couple of times but it boiled my blood watching Sturt & Amiss leading straight up from goal being burned over & over while someone stood there paralyzed with indecision before kicking it up for Alir to pick off.

At one stage Sturt was visibly frustrated & I don’t blame him. His biggest asset is his lead& finishing.

The same could be seen from behind the goals. Players leading into space in the corridor to be ignored in favor of the trusty bomb to the wing.

All season. Jye has done that all season. Treacy goes back and blocks for him and he leads totally loose of an opponent right at the ball carrier, right in front of goal. Probably happens ten times a game. I feel if we had Mundy he would bite off that kick and Amiss would have kicked 60 goals this year.

That Switta one he kicked to Jackson (who did goal luckily) when Sturt had lead straight at him was so obvious.

Totally agree with 99% of this.

The only addition I'll make is I think both of these guys lead a fraction too early. As they become more experienced and develop a better connection with the mids, I'm hoping this will rectify itself.

That Switta one he kicked to Jackson (who did goal luckily) when Sturt had lead straight at him was so obvious.

There was also one where the big forwards were ignored before Switta was targeted while being manned by Aliir Aliir.. the oppositions biggest and most dangerous intercepting tall defender on our smallest forward.

The worst option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back