Review Rd 15 Review - Freo Get Back on Track Over the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Why didn't we do it from the start? It's not as though that's a weakness that hasn't been talked about for months. Why was it MIA for the first 5 minutes? I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, this is a genuine mystery to me and if we could work out the answer then I think we would be a massive leap closer to being the best team in the comp.

Nathan Fyfe was exposed for lack of defensive pressure in that first part of the first quarter. He was shifted and later lifted to rectify it but the ball movement early from Essendon was almost always featuring the player Fyfe was standing by when the ball was nearby.

genuinely who would you say has been better than hughes down back? pearce has been dreadful for a bunch of games, cox is way down on his best, ryan has also had his colours lowered. walker is up and down.

i think hughes has really impressed down back, he’s not the go to man to make a play but he has had opportunities to create something and has done it well. had a handful of some very clean inside 50s when we were screaming out for them, will be up there in the doig so far for mine

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hughes has been the most consistent but he gets the easiest role as 6th/7th defender with limited rebound. You can’t compare Pearce manning Hawkins and the like to Hughes manning Brad Close. Like I said, he hasn’t done much really wrong but nothing that really stands out as helping win games.

It’s hard to compare to the rest of the backline but I’d say he’s done his role as well as anyone it’s a pretty cruisy role that I’d rather Chapman play because he helps our transition which has been terrible all year

Certainly everyone around me seemed to bag Henry out every time he got the ball, which I thought was unwarranted. Yes he did cause a bad turnover which led to a Bombers goal, but everyone seemed to forget that he created a goal with a kick inside 50 just minutes later, which squared the ledger in my eyes. Probably what doesn't help Liam's cause is that he still gets visibly very down on himself when he makes an error, and loses concentration; this problem isn't as bad as it was in his earliest games, but it's still there.

He made two kicks inside 50 that hit the target around the time of that turnover, but both those kicks were essentially the same as the turnover in terms of going off the side of the boot (very evident from my seat on the wing on that side of the ground, not sure about the TV) and nowhere near where he was trying to kick it. Happened again later in the game as well. So he was a bit lucky in that regard. Still clearly his best game, but more work needed on his disposal.

On a side note, I scanned the comments and saw a few saying Henry was on Martin. Maybe for a lot of the game, but the matchups were switching. For example, when Sturt came on he played exclusively on the wing on Martin for the last 15-20 minutes. I thought that was interesting, as maybe the club sees Sturt's future as a wingman like Martin and Wood, who started as medium forwards.

He made two kicks inside 50 that hit the target around the time of that turnover, but both those kicks were essentially the same as the turnover in terms of going off the side of the boot (very evident from my seat on the wing on that side of the ground, not sure about the TV) and nowhere near where he was trying to kick it. Happened again later in the game as well. So he was a bit lucky in that regard. Still clearly his best game, but more work needed on his disposal.

On a side note, I scanned the comments and saw a few saying Henry was on Martin. Maybe for a lot of the game, but the matchups were switching. For example, when Sturt came on he played exclusively on the wing on Martin for the last 15-20 minutes. I thought that was interesting, as maybe the club sees Sturt's future as a wingman like Martin and Wood, who started as medium forwards.
Sturt does play wing and inside mid at wafl level sometimes so that is an interesting observation

Hughes has been the most consistent but he gets the easiest role as 6th/7th defender with limited rebound. You can’t compare Pearce manning Hawkins and the like to Hughes manning Brad Close. Like I said, he hasn’t done much really wrong but nothing that really stands out as helping win games.

It’s hard to compare to the rest of the backline but I’d say he’s done his role as well as anyone it’s a pretty cruisy role that I’d rather Chapman play because he helps our transition which has been terrible all year
i mean Pearces issues dont have much to do with his opponent, his biggest enemy is himself, at least hughes can keep his feet.

i dont see much ball being left for chapman with all of ryan young and clark down there. hughes has fr improved his disposal this season, certainly not a weakness in my view. push chapman up the ground to get him involved more.

Nathan Fyfe was exposed for lack of defensive pressure in that first part of the first quarter. He was shifted and later lifted to rectify it but the ball movement early from Essendon was almost always featuring the player Fyfe was standing by when the ball was nearby.
Yeah Stringer just waltzed away from him in centre clearances. Fyfe seems better in stoppage than centre clearance more congestion, I guess. But you are right, he did tighten up.

Yeah Stringer just waltzed away from him in centre clearances. Fyfe seems better in stoppage than centre clearance more congestion, I guess. But you are right, he did tighten up.
Think few games after his comeback he probably thought he could still break tackles and bull doze his way through like the good ol days. Think he now realises or has been told he can't. Think the game on the weekend, he was releasing the ball sooner.

Also, if he is playing mid, would like to see him rather apply blocks or crash through to create path for serong and Brayshaw.

I think they have to be VERY careful how they set up those centre clearances. Fyfe must be on the slowest oppo mid every time. Coaches will try to stop that but the guys just have to commit to making sure it happens because it can burn us really really badly if we arent on top in there. I saw him on Stringer and I was like, da * are they doing? Should have been on Parish basically every centre stoppage.

This week he needs to be opposed to Libba every bounce

I think they have to be VERY careful how they set up those centre clearances. Fyfe must be on the slowest oppo mid every time. Coaches will try to stop that but the guys just have to commit to making sure it happens because it can burn us really really badly if we arent on top in there. I saw him on Stringer and I was like, da * are they doing? Should have been on Parish basically every centre stoppage.

Then who takes “the Bont “ ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Bontman is the danger. Can get the clearances and run both ways. Def not Fyfe lol..

Maybe Aish tag him. Not sure we got anyone else. Brayshaw prob lacks size and strength
Fyfe first quarter I was saying drag him
Last half he looked very good though

I reckon he goes to the Bont at times just to tangle him up leaving the others free to move the ball
He and Johno might be given the tough task to share

Aish would be better suited trying to slow Libba down

Fyfe first quarter I was saying drag him
Last half he looked very good though

I reckon he goes to the Bont at times just to tangle him up leaving the others free to move the ball
He and Johno might be given the tough task to share

Aish would be better suited trying to slow Libba down
I think if Fyfe goes to Bont we are going to get destroyed. Fyfe can compete with Libba on ground balls and really stop the clearance game of the dogs and it has the benefit of Libba not being able to hurt us if Fyfe loses him in the contest.

You cant stop Bont, you just do your best to stop him getting it in space as much as possible because that's where he really hurts

I think if Fyfe goes to Bont we are going to get destroyed. Fyfe can compete with Libba on ground balls and really stop the clearance game of the dogs and it has the benefit of Libba not being able to hurt us if Fyfe loses him in the contest.

You cant stop Bont, you just do your best to stop him getting it in space as much as possible because that's where he really hurts
Will be interesting
I take your points and agree only the best can stop the Bont and I am truly baffled at times whether Fyfe should even be in the team
But then he shows that long arm extraction and ability to pull the ball out of packs
My thought is that if Fyfe is in the team then that’s his guy and that’s his job

Who's the poster that posts the age breakdown? Put it up.

And keep it in mind when we s**t the bed in 2-4 weeks. We are bloody young.

Off loading pea hearts like Lobb and Acres is going to be such a positive long term. There will be some short term set backs but it seems like we are building a complete list.

Great to see Henry have a breakout after we gave up pick 9 for him.

(No we didn't, it's a stupid reference point.)
I have posted this before....

Lobb was already 30 years old. Obviously he was after one last pay day.

We can debate on Acres still on the best as best 23 or rotated depth... Same with Logue and Tucker.

Gonna think long term....

I will be disappointed if we don't make finals in 2023. As I said I really want to make back to back finals. I hate reminding this club we haven't done it before or since our 2012-15 finals run.

I can only Tolerate missing out on the 2023 finals as long as we Make finals in 2024-27

It seemed to me they all took responsibility for their man and supported each other and didn't peel off until we were in possession. Fyfe played the Russian roulette early but tightened up. It worked well even though Darcy didn't appear to dominate in the ruck.

Fyfe just needs to play Bont close, drags him down at every contest and tires him out. The way we used to do it against Cripps.

Yeah I liked Henry’s game in that he always seemed to be in the right spots and when he went forward he generally used the ball very well.

But if he didn’t like his options forward he would kick it straight back to Ryan and they probably had about 10 disposals between themselves.
Yes, & agree re small neat kicks, but at least decisions were quick & nearly all to target

Was having a look through the stats and even though Freddy only had 9 touches, 7 of them were score involvements, including 2 goal assists. Add that to his set shots which were crucial, and I think his selection this week is definitely justified, despite him not getting much of it.
And he definitely improved Walker’s stats - Hamish M called him ´Frederick’ at least twice in the first 15 minutes

Then who takes “the Bont “ ?
Provided he is 100% fit to play I'd love Johnson to be the man to take Bont for most of the game. At the centre bounce I'd have Jackson start there a fair bit but then push forward after the bounce. Last time we got absolutely smashed at the centre clearances so wee need to do something different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back