Review Freo Get a Coffee in Melbourne in the 2nd Quarter of an AFL Match (Rd 18 Review vs Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

People who say we “have the talent” might be correct.
The problem is about 14 other teams have the talent too.
Our list is no more talented than say, Gold Coast, or GWS or Carlton or Sydney or Adelaide.
That not to mention the current established top sides now like the pies, dees, port etc. this situation is not going to change between now and next year too.
So how can we find a competitive advantage?
Building a fortress at Optus would be a good start.
Having a better than average head coach and coaching team. Jury massively out on this - do the club stick or twist if, say we lose every game for the rest of the season?
Injury management - one of the few areas we have clearly improved in the last couple of years.

I don’t know. A maiden flag seems a long way away now. Without any bias or emotion involved, right now, I give this list around a 25% chance of winning a flag in this competition in the next decade.
It’s hard not to think we are a perennial loser club, destined to toil away in the relative obscurity of 11th to 15th place in the large majority of seasons, with the odd finals appearance to give hope. It’s the hope that kills you though.

A stroke of luck or two is needed to land us a couple of generational players, without which a flag is impossible.
There is only two players with that potential ceiling on the list right now IMO - Amiss and Jackson.
To be in with a chance of a flag both need to be in the top 10 players in the league by 2027 or so. definitely possible, but That’s a long road with many pitfalls.

I swear there were a few times when a Freo player was leading a pies player to the ball only to give a free kick away for holding while in front. Bizarre.

Treacy giving away a free kick because Darcy Moore bounced off him on the wing was ridiculous. So many s**t one-sided calls.

I don't mind if they pay the soft stuff both ways, but they obviously weren't. Daicos just dropping or throwing the ball out while getting tackled and then get a holding the man free kick was the most frustrating thing for mine

Our mids cottoned on to it and weren't tackling as hard after a few of them, so we were getting slaughtered if we didn't get first possession.

Last edited:
I just watched the mini.

So many s**t umpiring calls again this week totally killed momentum.

It’s like the AFL want to give us a top 5 pick (so we can give it to Melbourne).
The start of that 2nd quarter where the commentators were going on about how Cottonwool took over centre square dominance, there were just so many dodgy free kicks as part of that. It's the consecutive run of 50/50 or inexplicable frees against that can really derail you.

Having recently been overseas, if you think Melbourne's coffee is s**t, it just speaks to how incredible the Australian coffee scene is in general. I actually think it's hilarious anyone can sit there and broadly characterize Melbourne coffee as s**t. Not to your taste, maybe, but jesus if your taste isnt basically incredibly discerning
we are snobs
Tired Downton Abbey GIF by Sky España

we are snobs
Tired Downton Abbey GIF by Sky España
The coffee scene is very similar to how the craft beer scene has exploded of late. Lots of weird flavours and smells knocking about for something that in reality was meant to be drunk for nutrition and/or to get drunk - or because the water wasn't safe to drink. With coffee being drunk - and drunk quickly - to give you a buzz/pick me up as opposed to be infused with different levels and types of milk which react differently to different blends of beans etc. It's wild.

People who say we “have the talent” might be correct.
The problem is about 14 other teams have the talent too.
Our list is no more talented than say, Gold Coast, or GWS or Carlton or Sydney or Adelaide.
That not to mention the current established top sides now like the pies, dees, port etc. this situation is not going to change between now and next year too.
So how can we find a competitive advantage?
Building a fortress at Optus would be a good start.
Having a better than average head coach and coaching team. Jury massively out on this - do the club stick or twist if, say we lose every game for the rest of the season?
Injury management - one of the few areas we have clearly improved in the last couple of years.

I don’t know. A maiden flag seems a long way away now. Without any bias or emotion involved, right now, I give this list around a 25% chance of winning a flag in this competition in the next decade.
It’s hard not to think we are a perennial loser club, destined to toil away in the relative obscurity of 11th to 15th place in the large majority of seasons, with the odd finals appearance to give hope. It’s the hope that kills you though.

A stroke of luck or two is needed to land us a couple of generational players, without which a flag is impossible.
There is only two players with that potential ceiling on the list right now IMO - Amiss and Jackson.
To be in with a chance of a flag both need to be in the top 10 players in the league by 2027 or so. definitely possible, but That’s a long road with many pitfalls.
two forwards of center players. something we haven't had before. so i kinda disagree.

i also think brayshaw & serong are as well.

The start of that 2nd quarter where the commentators were going on about how Cottonwool took over centre square dominance, there were just so many dodgy free kicks as part of that. It's the consecutive run of 50/50 or inexplicable frees against that can really derail you.
The non mark to Banfield on the wing was the one that told me the umps were never going to play fair, that was an absolute howler, how can you have 4 umps on the field on not one of them pay the mark.

Edit: even the biased commentators said it was a mark

The non mark to Banfield on the wing was the one that told me the umps were never going to play fair, that was an absolute howler, how can you have 4 umps on the field on not one of them pay the mark.

Edit: even the biased commentators said it was a mark

And the clear push in the back that was called holding the ball that resulted in a goal. It hurts massively but no excuses because Collingwood never boo umps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having recently been overseas, if you think Melbourne's coffee is s**t, it just speaks to how incredible the Australian coffee scene is in general. I actually think it's hilarious anyone can sit there and broadly characterize Melbourne coffee as s**t. Not to your taste, maybe, but jesus if your taste isnt basically incredibly discerning
Especially as the current winner of the world barista champs is Aussie and Aussie coffee is the international standard. Anyone saying Melbs coffee is s**t should come visit England for a bit. Specialty coffee didn't even exist here 12-15 years ago.

The coffee scene is very similar to how the craft beer scene has exploded of late. Lots of weird flavours and smells knocking about for something that in reality was meant to be drunk for nutrition and/or to get drunk - or because the water wasn't safe to drink. With coffee being drunk - and drunk quickly - to give you a buzz/pick me up as opposed to be infused with different levels and types of milk which react differently to different blends of beans etc. It's wild.
Coffee was actually the muslim answer to beer, again for water sanitisation and obviously they can't drink alcohol. Also helped with fasting. It's insane the variations just based on altitude, soil etc. Very interesting space.

Especially as the current winner of the world barista champs is Aussie and Aussie coffee is the international standard. Anyone saying Melbs coffee is s**t should come visit England for a bit. Specialty coffee didn't even exist here 12-15 years ago.
Coffee was actually the muslim answer to beer, again for water sanitisation and obviously they can't drink alcohol. Also helped with fasting. It's insane the variations just based on altitude, soil etc. Very interesting space.
4BA99656-0B39-4D6E-9F6E-07EE8E6D68F6.gif

The irony. I guess some people just don't want to be educated.
Tell us you’re a w***er without telling us you’re a w***er.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back