Review Rd 15 Review - Freo Get Back on Track Over the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Provided he is 100% fit to play I'd love Johnson to be the man to take Bont for most of the game. At the centre bounce I'd have Jackson start there a fair bit but then push forward after the bounce. Last time we got absolutely smashed at the centre clearances so wee need to do something different.
Not too sure about Johnson would be the right guy for that job. Seems to dawdle a bit between the contests. Bont would run him ragged

hughes has been 10x better than chappy this season, more impactful than aish as well. he’s locked best 22

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hughes lacks the class of Chappy, although he's had a good year by his standards he still lacks creativity with ball in hand an is prone to the occasional brain fade , he's a low impact player.
Aish also has class in spades, the only reason we have him is part of Eddies legacy i.e a Collingwood salary cap dump.

Not too sure about Johnson would be the right guy for that job. Seems to dawdle a bit between the contests. Bont would run him ragged

Johnson in a role offering lots of opportunity to tackle a player who likes holding the ball up like a ballerina will be a recipe for disaster. For everyone involved.

Matt with drop the Johnson hammer on him at least once. The team better be ready to get into a bit of push and shove.

Johnson in a role offering lots of opportunity to tackle a player who likes holding the ball up like a ballerina will be a recipe for disaster. For everyone involved.

Matt with drop the Johnson hammer on him at least once. The team better be ready to get into a bit of push and shove.

As long as Bonts arms are up over his head, ie not pinned to his body, Johnson can go as hard as he likes can’t he, without fear of suspension anyway.

There may be some retaliation but pretty sure we’d be up for it, as long as we don’t get too carried away and stop watching the game like last time.

As long as Bonts arms are up over his head, ie not pinned to his body, Johnson can go as hard as he likes can’t he, without fear of suspension anyway.

There may be some retaliation but pretty sure we’d be up for it, as long as we don’t get too carried away and stop watching the game like last time.

I think it will be a natural action to reach to wrap up one of the arms and bring him down in the tackle, Bont is such a twisty guy on field that he will be half slinging himself to ground before Johnson applies any force.

It's a powder keg

Lobb's most productive season was 36 at 1.7 last season.

Tabs played 13 games for 23 goals in 2022. Jye has 25 from 13 so far this season.

I think Jye's gonna be a champ and our best key forward since Pav, but in 2022, and Tabs being Tabs, I think he was subbed injured in 2 or 3 of those 13 games - vs Melbourne, Bullies and Port I think.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

This surprised me in the stats, he must be saving himself for the right times to go….

Attachments

• C0AC9428-6567-436C-9B35-8B83895885D7.png
    C0AC9428-6567-436C-9B35-8B83895885D7.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 7E2021EF-AF36-4BBA-B146-94CE1D32643A.png
    7E2021EF-AF36-4BBA-B146-94CE1D32643A.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 156
Henry noticeably took the conservative/safe option generally, and hit almost all of his targets. In the past he has often tried for more aggressive kicks and stuffed it, so this may well have been an intentional focus? It does mean he wasn't super damaging with his touches but hopefully a great game for his confidence, and as he builds he will take on the game a bit more👍

Also still needs to up his defensive intensity, but maybe the tank is still developing.

His best game so far anyway.
Luke Ryan and Brennan Cox disagree with you on this. They stated they thanks Henry for getting back hard to creat an outnumber situation and then flaring hard to create a relief kick option. Seems Henry is a whipping boy for something in some peoples eyes, despite playing a pretty complete game with good efficiency, score involvements, high meters gained etc. Watching the game it seemed to me he was not one way running at all.

Hughes has been the most consistent but he gets the easiest role as 6th/7th defender with limited rebound.
Had Stringer on the weekend, I'd argue he is their most dangerous forward (rewatching the 4th and Hughes has had him every time he moved to the forward line, rewatched 1-3 the other day and wasn't keeping an eye on this)

I have posted this before....

Lobb was already 30 years old. Obviously he was after one last pay day.

We can debate on Acres still on the best as best 23 or rotated depth... Same with Logue and Tucker.

Gonna think long term....

I will be disappointed if we don't make finals in 2023. As I said I really want to make back to back finals. I hate reminding this club we haven't done it before or since our 2012-15 finals run.

I can only Tolerate missing out on the 2023 finals as long as we Make finals in 2024-27

Yeah I agree with you. People saying missing finals doesn't matter if we're not contending - it's absolutely essential till for this young club to get comfortable with finals footy.

I really don't care if we slot into 8th and are out of our depth, every game counts and it's important for consistency.

Yeah I agree with you. People saying missing finals doesn't matter if we're not contending - it's absolutely essential till for this young club to get comfortable with finals footy.

I really don't care if we slot into 8th and are out of our depth, every game counts and it's important for consistency.
Yeah I think even scraping into finals would be massive. I dont think it's going to happen but I wouldnt underestimate the benefits of that happening. Not the least because it looks like there's a very real chance of 1 or 2 games separating 5th through to like 14th so if we scraped into the 8 after playing 3 top 4 sides in our run home then I'd back us to beat whoever we play there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would be epic to claim 8th spot and win an away final.

I will never forget The dockers getting 7th in 2012. I expected a 30-40 point loss vs geelong pre game. we won by 2 and a half goals.

Yeah I think even scraping into finals would be massive. I dont think it's going to happen but I wouldnt underestimate the benefits of that happening. Not the least because it looks like there's a very real chance of 1 or 2 games separating 5th through to like 14th so if we scraped into the 8 after playing 3 top 4 sides in our run home then I'd back us to beat whoever we play there

If we are to, I think over the next month where we play both Bulldogs and Collingwood away we probably need to go 3-1 at a minimum. The early season losses and the Richmond game have put us too far back.

If we are to, I think over the next month where we play both Bulldogs and Collingwood away we probably need to go 3-1 at a minimum. The early season losses and the Richmond game have put us too far back.
Yeah, there's a very real chance the North game is going to cost us a finals spot

Watching the replay again yesterday I was looking at the number of dropped marks by Treacy. He is getting in good position but dropped at least 5 or 6 that he should have taken. A couple were within range. I like the way we are playing him as a big bodied utility player and would be even better if he held on to those grabs.

Watching the replay again yesterday I was looking at the number of dropped marks by Treacy. He is getting in good position but dropped at least 5 or 6 that he should have taken. A couple were within range. I like the way we are playing him as a big bodied utility player and would be even better if he held on to those grabs.
I think he can figure it out with time though it's definitely his biggest question mark IMO. There's a little bit of the Tabs early years in his marking where he seems to drop some he should take while other times taking a really strong contested mark.

I think he can figure it out with time though it's definitely his biggest question mark IMO. There's a little bit of the Tabs early years in his marking where he seems to drop some he should take while other times taking a really strong contested mark.

I also think the hands improve as he can handle the body pressure better. He’s got footy IQ though, quick hands, long kick, stuff that can’t be taught.

I also think the hands improve as he can handle the body pressure better. He’s got footy IQ though, quick hands, long kick, stuff that can’t be taught.
Might also be a tank thing, the concentration lapses for a second and he's not as strong as he needs to be. Might also help with the kicking for goal which has deserted him a bit.

It's probably extra hard because the young dude's he's in the forwardline with are generational freaks but all Treacy needs to do at the moment is hold 2 or 3 more marks a game and convert 1-2 of the chances he's fluffing at the moment and he's kicking close to 40 goals in a season. As well as what you said, his best attribute is the thing you literally cant be successful without as a KPF in the AFL - physicality and aggression.

I think Jye's gonna be a champ and our best key forward since Pav, but in 2022, and Tabs being Tabs, I think he was subbed injured in 2 or 3 of those 13 games - vs Melbourne, Bullies and Port I think.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, it wasn't meant as a slight on Tabs. 😊

It was comparing his output as a 19 year old to a more seasoned player. I would have been happy with the same comparison if Jye had kicked a couple less than Tabs as well.

I just love drawing attention to how advanced Jye is at the moment. ☺️

An updated excerpt of my Nev Watch from a few weeks ago:

Matt Taberner (2021) - 37 goals - 16 games - 2.3pg
Rory Lobb (2022) - 36 goals - 21 games - 1.7pg
Matt Taberner (2020) - 29 goals - 16 games - 1.8pg
Rory Lobb (2016) - 29 goals - 24 games - 1.2pg
Jye Amiss (2023) - 25 goals - 13 games - 1.9pg (turning 20 this year)
Matt Taberner (2022) - 23 goals - 13 games - 1.8pg

Nathan Fyfe was exposed for lack of defensive pressure in that first part of the first quarter. He was shifted and later lifted to rectify it but the ball movement early from Essendon was almost always featuring the player Fyfe was standing by when the ball was nearby.
Thx Taylor, so you're saying it was a rapid coaching move to fix what is going to be a permanent (relative) weakness in Fyfe's game. So unless we are sure we have ruck dominance - in which case we don't have to prioritise midfield defence - we'd better keep Fyfe out of the midfield. This analysis makes good sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back