Review Rd 15 Review - Freo Get Back on Track Over the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Chapman has had some games where he's shown a lot, but he's also been very average for a lot of the games he's played. If he's not standing out at Peel then I hope he spents time there building fitness. Don't want another NOD situation where we get a young guy in way too early and he's nowhere near where he needs to be.
Disagree completely about Chapman being inconsistent. He's been super consistent for a young player considering he's also battled interruptions with injury in my opinion. In some of his games last season his role changed to being a lockdown player rather than as an interceptor and distributor like against Richmond last year when he played on Shai Bolton so his possession count may have got up and down a bit but overall he's been terrific for such a young player.

People are forgetting how good he was for the majority of last season and his only brief lull in form was for a couple of weeks after he returned from a significant injury layoff.

Disagree completely about Chapman being inconsistent. He's been super consistent for a young player considering he's also battled interruptions with injury in my opinion. In some of his games last season his role changed to being a lockdown player rather than as an interceptor and distributor like against Richmond last year when he played on Shai Bolton so his possession count may have got up and down a bit but overall he's been terrific for such a young player.

People are forgetting how good he was for the majority of last season and his only brief lull in form was for a couple of weeks after he returned from a significant injury layoff.

He was very underwhelming in the few games that he did play early this year. But maybe it's unfair because he never got a chance to play when the team was actually doing well. I just don't think Hughes has done anything to warrant being dropped.

Chapman was awful this year, would take an eternity every time he got a mark and continually would just kick sideways

Not saying he is going to be a failure but I don't see any reason why Hughes comes out for him unless he spends 3-4 weeks at Peel while looking clearly above the level

Hughes has been great since switching back to defense tbh

Chapman was awful this year, would take an eternity every time he got a mark and continually would just kick sideways

Not saying he is going to be a failure but I don't see any reason why Hughes comes out for him unless he spends 3-4 weeks at Peel while looking clearly above the level

Hughes has been great since switching back to defense tbh

people just get stuck into hughes because of pre conceived notions, forget his actual performances. he’s genuinely been one of our best defenders this season, to call for him to be dropped is just silly

i think chapman has a lot of potential, he was poor this season to start with and i think we do not get enough impact out him down back anyway. playing as the 4th string between young,cox, ryan is not where he will shine. hughes can tho. play chapman further up the ground like has been slated by JL

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

people just get stuck into hughes because of pre conceived notions, forget his actual performances. he’s genuinely been one of our best defenders this season, to call for him to be dropped is just silly

i think chapman has a lot of potential, he was poor this season to start with and i think we do not get enough impact out him down back anyway. playing as the 4th string between young,cox, ryan is not where he will shine. hughes can tho. play chapman further up the ground like has been slated by JL

True. Chapman still promising player but based on form prior to his injury, Hughes has been better. He was getting caught with the ball a bit and doing dinky kicks

Think people still have memories of the golden fist

Chapman has had some games where he's shown a lot, but he's also been very average for a lot of the games he's played. If he's not standing out at Peel then I hope he spents time there building fitness. Don't want another NOD situation where we get a young guy in way too early and he's nowhere near where he needs to be.
I just dont agree he's been very average for a lot of the games, I think that's a massive exaggeration. Since moving to the backline, I dont recall many "jeez, awesome work Hughes" moments but I equally dont remember any, "******* HUGHES!!!" moments. I disagree with the people saying Hughes has been incredible or "one of our best defenders". I think he's doing his job which is great but if Chapman is fit I just cant get behind keeping him ahead of him

I just dont agree he's been very average for a lot of the games, I think that's a massive exaggeration. Since moving to the backline, I dont recall many "jeez, awesome work Hughes" moments but I equally dont remember any, "******* HUGHES!!!" moments. I disagree with the people saying Hughes has been incredible or "one of our best defenders". I think he's doing his job which is great but if Chapman is fit I just cant get behind keeping him ahead of him
Hughes being unnoticed in the backline can be a good thing though. If he's not making huge mistakes, and he's just going about his business and using the ball well enough, but not very excitingly, then he's doing a good job. Chapman is still very young, and has only played 25 games, while missing a lot of footy through injury. I don't think he should be counted as a b22 just yet, and should definitely go through the WAFL for at least a couple weeks. He'll need match fitness. I also want him to have a go on the wing there, because I think that's where his skills would be much more appreciated on our team.

My opinion on whether or not he deserves to come in for Hughes will be judged on how the team is going at that time. If we're winning games and Hughes is doing his job, then I'd hate to mess with what is working. If we're losing games, then I'd probably want him in as soon as possible.

Was having a look through the stats and even though Freddy only had 9 touches, 7 of them were score involvements, including 2 goal assists. Add that to his set shots which were crucial, and I think his selection this week is definitely justified, despite him not getting much of it.

Remember when he nailed a swans player on the goal line to save a certain goal and then go forward a few minutes and slot on from 50 when the game was in the balance? How bloody good was that!

I really like Hughes, don’t think he’s done anything that warrants getting dropped. But you are right about Chappy, there’s no way he’s gonna spend too long at Peel and Hughes is the obvious one to make way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching Chapman at preseason training & he was awful. Dropping marks, missing simple kicks by miles, even his handball was off. He was really dark on himself too.
When he did play this year he was a shadow of his best. Whatever was going on with him earlier in the year it wasn’t good.

I have no doubt he makes it as an AFL player. I see him a bit like Nick Blakey in his athleticism & skills. I’m very happy he’s seen as a winger/mid as, at his best he really creates good angles & takes the game on. I think he has the ability to be a lot more creative if he’s not having to be defender.

But I really don’t think he’s going to be rushed back into the team & nor should he be.

Our defense is settled & Hughes is doing everything asked of him plus he seems to have good synergy with the other players down there. We have lots of running creative types & a really rock solid, no frills, super tough plug & play type like Hughes really fits the mix.

I have a lot of respect for Hughes. No one goes harder & he never shirks putting his body on the line. When he’s been out of the side he puts in just as hard at Peel & never appears to drop his bundle.

More likely Chapman is competing with Henry, Aish & Nod for a wing. Henry is obviously highly rated & has just played his best game. Aish is so important to our best football. Mr Reliable.
Nod has been poor but we know what he’s capable of.

I don’t think there’s any harm at all in a slow build for Chapman especially given his propensity for injury at this stage of his body development.

I think Chapman was playing in the backline because it's the easiest place to slot in a talent and have them involved in the game. I don't think he has a long term future there.

I think his best footy will be in the middle in some capacity.

And Ethan Hughes would back into an oncoming train to contest a mark. In five more games the four future sons he has, with their father's hardness and athleticism but a lifetime of skills work will be superstars.

More likely Chapman is competing with Henry, Aish & Nod for a wing. Henry is obviously highly rated & has just played his best game. Aish is so important to our best football. Mr Reliable. “

IMO Aish plays better when he isn’t locked into a Wing and can be mr versatile. I don’t think it’s a coincidence his best game in weeks was when we had Henry and NOD playing in the same team, so Aish could rotate through the middle as well as wing.
Chapman, NOD and Henry competing for the two wing spots with Aish playing everywhere is a good position for the club to be in.

Henry is proof in the pudding that giving a young player consistent minutes and instilling the confidence in them to perform does wonders, it took him a little longer to get there compare to his draft mates, but he's starting to show why we drafted him.

Hopefully he stays consistent and stays in the team for the rest of the season.

Henry is proof in the pudding that giving a young player consistent minutes and instilling the confidence in them to perform does wonders, it took him a little longer to get there compare to his draft mates, but he's starting to show why we drafted him.

Not necessarily. He was b22 at the start of the season and played 4 of the worst games I’ve ever seen. And was still kept in the team to try and help build him, with no success. He’s gone back to WAFL and worked on a lot of things and played two average games, before finally putting a good performance. I hope he can stay consistent but I feel like a lot of people got excited and are going very early with some of these calls.

genuinely who would you say has been better than hughes down back? pearce has been dreadful for a bunch of games, cox is way down on his best, ryan has also had his colours lowered. walker is up and down.

i think hughes has really impressed down back, he’s not the go to man to make a play but he has had opportunities to create something and has done it well. had a handful of some very clean inside 50s when we were screaming out for them, will be up there in the doig so far for mine

Let's all remember that the opposition allows a certain way of playing and conditions were extremely favourable for ANY winger playing on Martin.

Henry worked very hard and mostly made tidy decisions moving the ball, but if he had an opponent working to defend him it would have been a very different challenge for Liam.

I'm not even talking about Henry being tagged, I'm talking about an opponent who looks for him and runs to close his space.

One of the highest rated wingers in the league went into the game with zero respect for Liam Henry, probably a coaching level call, and I can't blame them - Fyfe isn't going to put much effort into an opponent who barely plays either.

But our side won the ball back better than the bombers did and moved it through our loose wing better than the Bombers did with their own.

Essendon allowed Freo to have a free player and then gave the defense the chance to make the most of him and we did.

Top marks all round. I think essendon would still back themselves to win the ball in the backline better next game too. Our midfield and forwards pressured so well the ball use into the defensive fifty was dirty.

It tipped quickly to us and match ups like Liam Henry/Martin became turbocharged wins and +80m ball movements.

Imagine if Sturt had been given the same treatment.

In the first 5 mins we had 1 kick and 7 handballs.

We were getting our hands on the footy but turning it over 3 metres away and the Bombers punished us. Our handball game is a huge weakness at times.
Thanks and you might be right but I don't think you're saying that 5 mins in JL sent out a message to the whole team, 'We are getting our hands on the footy but turning it over 3 metres away and the Bombers are punishing us. Our handball game is a huge weakness at times. Now do XYZ instead...'

What actually clicked in the team to change things? What made them decide to kick it more if XS handballs were the problem?

We got our ground ball and pressure game up and running and became much harder to play against.
Why didn't we do it from the start? It's not as though that's a weakness that hasn't been talked about for months. Why was it MIA for the first 5 minutes? I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, this is a genuine mystery to me and if we could work out the answer then I think we would be a massive leap closer to being the best team in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back