Review Freo Get a Coffee in Melbourne in the 2nd Quarter of an AFL Match (Rd 18 Review vs Pies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Setting aside the (legitimate) argument of being young and experienced….

I felt convinced today there is a leadership problem and it is the cause of the decline of intensity and effort from last year.

To watch 10 goals be piled on in the 2nd quarter, without Alex Pearce remonstrating, marshalling, running up to vice captain Brayshaw and asking for more effort from the midfield.

Them watching the camera switch to JL with no animation when Macrae is on the bench inspiring his players .

I sneakily suspect that Brayshaw was very motivated last year along with Seeong because there was a Captaincy up for grabs. Almost feels like he is demotivated this year with occasional efforts like today but when the #%* hits the fan I don’t see anyone taking charge.

Ryan looks the most likely as a leader at the moment , his comments after last week were pretty spot on.

Setting aside the (legitimate) argument of being young and experienced….

I felt convinced today there is a leadership problem and it is the cause of the decline of intensity and effort from last year.

To watch 10 goals be piled on in the 2nd quarter, without Alex Pearce remonstrating, marshalling, running up to vice captain Brayshaw and asking for more effort from the midfield.

Them watching the camera switch to JL with no animation when Macrae is on the bench inspiring his players .

I sneakily suspect that Brayshaw was very motivated last year along with Seeong because there was a Captaincy up for grabs. Almost feels like he is demotivated this year with occasional efforts like today but when the #%* hits the fan I don’t see anyone taking charge.

Ryan looks the most likely as a leader at the moment , his comments after last week were pretty spot on.
Mundy (who I very much trust and value his input) said as much after our loss last week. Not a coaching issue, but a leadership issue.

I don’t think I’ve seen JOM or Switta or Young or Pearce show any sort of leadership on field. Not in the way Mundy, Brayshaw, Serong did last year. The only vocal leaders I see outcome there are Walters, Ryan, Serong, and only one of them is in the leadership group.

It’s all well and good having off field leaders or guys that stand out during the day to day stuff, but we look to severely lack game day leadership.

Was there and it was the equivalent of a 100 point thumping. The clearest example of a top side taking the foot off the throat you’ll ever see. Pulled Pendles at half time and said to the rest just go and enjoy a run around.

The margin was truly flattering. They should have been 4 goals up at quarter time - then …….. floodgates.

Last edited:
Classic Western Australian insecurity. Just accept Perth is the most isolated capital of the world, WA’s social and economic policies are 20 years behind the rest of the Nation, and there are obvious reasons why most Australians havent even been to WA.

Perth makes a good coffee, but they learnt the craft from Melbourne.
I honestly don't think it gets much more insecure than people melting over some criticism of some stupid coffee from their hometown.

Was there and it was the equivalent of a 100 point thumping. The clearest example of a top side taking the foot off the throat you’ll ever see. Pulled Pendles at half time and said to the rest just go and enjoy a run around.

The margin was truly flattering. They should have been 4 goals up at quarter time - then …….. floodgates.
It's a classic perception thing though, isn't it?

Collingwood, I reckon get pumped up in the media like nobodies business. It's good business for the media companies, plus the crush a lot of media pundits have on McRae/Daicos. From this you'd get the sense they've been crushing sides left right and centre, but in reality, they've been up and down in a lot of games, as they were yesterday. It's also a classic young side performance from us...go to the big stage, be plucky against a ladder leader and then go missing for an extended period, before settling and regrouping somewhat with a bit of breathing room as the sting's gone out of it.

The result each week comes down to centre clearances for the dockers. We are the worst team in the comp for scoring from turnovers, so if we don’t dominate centre clearance, we won’t win the game.

We need to either: work out how to dominate in the middle, or, work out how to pressure their team to win the ball back. Do neither and we are going to continue to be a crap football team.
It's alarming how easy it is to score against us on turnover rn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Erasmus kick in the (I think) 2nd quarter in the defensive 50 where he, under zero pressure, couldn't kick it to Clark 30 metres away, who then got done holding the ball while trying to mop it up, is absolute coach killing stuff.

The Erasmus kick in the (I think) 2nd quarter in the defensive 50 where he, under zero pressure, couldn't kick it to Clark 30 metres away, who then got done holding the ball while trying to mop it up, is absolute coach killing stuff.
Yep. We consistently can't hit targets. Even if you take MJ..def 50.. takes a mark..does a 20 metre kick that doesn't reach the player who then is under pressure. Many instances of this occuring

Unfortunately we're back to the stage of looking for positives out of losses, but:

• Ras stepped up and now has a good platform to build on
  • Treacy did some nice things and stepped up on the scoreboard which was more important given Amiss was well held.
  • Sturt has forward nous and needs to be persisted with, hopefully the team sees this

This is probably one of the more instructive demographics posts of the season because the two teams are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

They had 3 years and 3 seasons worth of experience on us on average. It's a big part of why they're contending and we struggle for any consistency, both week-to-week and within games. Also makes it a lot easier for their youngsters to play well thanks to all the experienced bodies and leadership around them.

View attachment 1739441
While I'm not arguing the numbers, I think in data sets like this we should also remove any outliers that can skew averages. Pendlebury is one, like Mundy was last year for us. If we could remove the top and bottom 'games played' player for each team, I wonder how that would look? Pendlebury adds 16 games to their average games played. Again referencing Mundy, having him in the team last year made our averages look like a team in or approaching 'the premiership window', he's gone and now we look like a team of babies.

While I'm not arguing the numbers, I think in data sets like this we should also remove any outliers that can skew averages. Pendlebury is one, like Mundy was last year for us. If we could remove the top and bottom 'games played' player for each team, I wonder how that would look? Pendlebury adds 16 games to their average games played. Again referencing Mundy, having him in the team last year made our averages look like a team in or approaching 'the premiership window', he's gone and now we look like a team of babies.
Without Pendles pies average 123 games played. Without Walters we average 69 games played.

Without Pendles and Johnson pies average 127 games played. Without Walters and Sturt we average 71 games played.

Pies aren't like us last year where Mundy was a huge outlier, having 175+ more games then the next closest player. They have Sidebottom with 300+ and Crisp, Howe, Adams 200+, Mitchell, Maynard, Elliot, McStay, DeGoey with 150+

2024 leadership group
Serong (c)
Brayshaw (vc)
Ryan
Darcy
Young
Clark

The rest can just concentrate on themselves and maximising their own very ordinary performances for 2024.
100%.
Said it before, this leadership group is one and done. Been non-motivating and introverted.
JOM coming straight in was a WTF move. Wasn’t a fan.

Darcy with Serong and Brayshaw are the leaders

100%.
Said it before, this leadership group is one and done. Been non-motivating and introverted.
JOM coming straight in was a WTF move. Wasn’t a fan.

Darcy with Serong and Brayshaw are the leaders
The thing is when we were getting slaughtered in the clearances, you don't need leader/captain by name to be stepping up. If serong, Brayshaw, Darcy are there they need step up.

Sometimes watching on the tele, you don't see all the onfield vocalisation. That time we saw footage of pearce mic'd up he was pretty vocal and marshalling the troops. If they were getting killed that 2nd quarter the mid leaders needed lead, not wait until end of quarter and expect Pearce or JL to

Classic Western Australian insecurity. Just accept Perth is the most isolated capital of the world, WA’s social and economic policies are 20 years behind the rest of the Nation, and there are obvious reasons why most Australians havent even been to WA.

Perth makes a good coffee, but they learnt the craft from Melbourne.
nah, everyone is australia learnt it from the greek and italian migrants after ww2. melbourne didn't get it out of thin air.

freo is the noted coffee capital of WA. which is where a lot of greek and italian migrants live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back