Review Find Someone Who Loves You Like Freo Loves Alphabet Stadium - Rd 20 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Where have they been all year 😞
Could it be that the 'need' to overthink was gone? Yesterday we couldn't make the 8, we had zero expectations of a win against a team that had a lot to play for, we had several key players out, there were some personnel shifts on field etc. Maybe Pearce et al could just get on with doing their thing, ie beating Jezza/Hawkins, and not worrying about the rest. Maybe that's the special sauce.

Super happy with the win.

But I'm still concerned with where we are tracking if we continue to only show up when we win clearances.

Yesterday our plan A worked - mainly because Geelong have a weaker midfield than advertised and lost Blicavs and Hawkins.

In saying that - still a bloody good result and a very fun game to watch!

Super happy with the win.

But I'm still concerned with where we are tracking if we continue to only show up when we win clearances.

Yesterday our plan A worked - mainly because Geelong have a weaker midfield than advertised and lost Blicavs and Hawkins.

In saying that - still a bloody good result and a very fun game to watch!
yesterday there was a lot more pressure and intensity around the ground that has been missing previously. seemed to have a lot more forward half intercepts than the previous few weeks.

Does anyone else think O’Meara will be on thin ice with a full list once MJ & Ras come on a bit more? I would play Brodie over him too.

That would be the desired outcome for the club I would hope?

Brodie not being in the side is still baffling to me. Nothing wrong with playing O'Meara as a HFF, let Brodie do his work at the coal face.

yesterday there was a lot more pressure and intensity around the ground that has been missing previously. seemed to have a lot more forward half intercepts than the previous few weeks.
Oh definitely but that happens because we won the clearances.

We need to start winning games without relying on that.

Anyone else a tad sick of our win being called a huge upset or upset of the season? We’ve had form in Geelong and against Geelong lately so us winning there wasn’t exactly off the cards and I’m sure a few of us had at least a tad of confidence going in to the game

I get we weren’t favourites, in some poor form and missing a few key players but FMD it’s not as if we had never won there lately or beaten them anytime in the past couple of seasons

Anyone else a tad sick of our win being called a huge upset or upset of the season? We’ve had form in Geelong and against Geelong lately so us winning there wasn’t exactly off the cards and I’m sure a few of us had at least a tad of confidence going in to the game

I get we weren’t favourites, in some poor form and missing a few key players but FMD it’s not as if we had never won there lately or beaten them anytime in the past couple of seasons
No it was definitely an upset. We are bottom 4 and had lost 4 games in a row and were coming up against the reigning premiers.

On the other hand, I don’t understand how Carlton and GWS were seen as such upsets, when both teams had won 5 and 6 games in a row respectively coming into the games and are the most in form teams in the comp. I tipped them both.

No it was definitely an upset. We are bottom 4 and had lost 4 games in a row and were coming up against the reigning premiers.

On the other hand, I don’t understand how Carlton and GWS were seen as such upsets, when both teams had won 5 and 6 games in a row respectively coming into the games and are the most in form teams in the comp. I tipped them both.

It was unexpected sure, but not one of the upsets or the seasons like the media are banging on about. I don’t think it’s even top two of upsets for the round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if I am upset about our win being called the upset of the season or not given our recent form. We have been very poor since the bye.

For some obscure reason we seem to play well against Geelong and have a reasonable record at their home ground.

What we did very well was restrict their goal scoring to a manageable level.

Upset of the season or reward for effort it was very welcome.

Does anyone else think O’Meara will be on thin ice with a full list once MJ & Ras come on a bit more? I would play Brodie over him too.
You hit the nail on the head. As Snuff was saying yesterday, Gold Coast have a very balanced midfield as each player brings something different to the center. A midfield of JOM/Brayshaw/Serong is too small and only has one real clearance winner between them. I have a feeling that Brodie would complement MJ's game perfectly and turn him into a beast.

That would be the desired outcome for the club I would hope?

Brodie not being in the side is still baffling to me. Nothing wrong with playing O'Meara as a HFF, let Brodie do his work at the coal face.

looking at Young in the middle yesterday he may still not be in the side

I think he should be. But a 4-year contract for a big name former club captain (albeit stand-in) would be admitting a pretty big blunder given the ‘Mundy-replacement’ hype when we was recruited. I think it’ll take a another half a season before they would think about him being ‘managed’ with ‘soreness’.

Young was pretty good in there, played on Dangerfield for a while.
His clearance work was good, but his kicking (ironically) could do with some polish from centre bounce

i feel like the coaching staff want him to be an onballer. but, isn't developed yet as a midfielder. so a tagger is a great introduction.
I read one report likening his move into the guts to the move Jordan Dawson has made at Adelaide. He might be a couple of inches shorter than Mundy and a couple of KGs lighter - but he’s still filling out.

If he could be similar to Dawson/Mundy and (I didn’t think I’d be saying this a couple of weeks ago) Wagner, Clark, Chapman and Walker (pick 3 from 4) can provide drive from half back - we already have the answer to our main issue this year on our list.

Darcy, Jackson, Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Johnson, Erasmus is a decent young midfield - but probably need another year to get enough games under their belt. Take Young out and it lacks a bit of size and class.

So in the space of typing this out, I’ve convinced myself I should probably book flights to Melbourne for late September 2025.

Great game and really enjoyable to watch.

It's great watching fringe/young players like Treacy, Wagner, Henry, Sturt, Erasmus and Stanley starting to grow and progress - it's really that Best 15-25 that needs to become solid and reliable depth, and I've got a good feeling about most of them.

Felt like I was the only one barracking for Hamling all year, I like Cox but Hamling at his best is pure defensive class and works better with Pearce (not a coincidence Pearce played his best game of the year).

I don't know the contract/list management situation but if 2025 is technically our 'window' then Hamling could heavily feature in that period if he stays fit and healthy. I'd be redeveloping Cox elsewhere in the ground.

I always think that when we play down there. I would guess without checking that we would have the best record of any oppo club for wins there as a percentage of games played.

And no one. Ever. Ever. Brings up the fact that we’re the only club that’s ever been made to play a final there & we won it so have a 100% record for finals played there.

It’s such a natural reference point yet it’s as if it never happened according to the Vic media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back