Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone's reference - Aiden Bonar averaged:
19.8 disposals, 2.3 marks, 6.2 tackles a game and 0.6 goals a game.

This is in a league where players regularly have 50+ possessions because they are playing against blokes who would be playing A-Grade Amateurs in Western Australia or Victoria.

He's an alright player but if it wasn't for the fact he was at GWS he wouldn't be spoken about. I assume everyone also wants to trade for other recent draftees who are playing in the 2s, like Luke Davies Uniack, Zach Bailey, Matthew Ling etcc,

This is in a league where players regularly have 50+ possessions because they are playing against blokes who would be playing A-Grade Amateurs in Western Australia or Victoria.

He's an alright player but if it wasn't for the fact he was at GWS he wouldn't be spoken about. I assume everyone also wants to trade for other recent draftees who are playing in the 2s, like Luke Davies Uniack, Zach Bailey, Matthew Ling etcc,

Well that's so far in his NEAFL Career, 2019 is less... 18.4 disposals, 2.5 marks, 6.1 tackles and 0.6 goals

Not great numbers, except for a couple of rounds..

Untitled.png

Depends if it is a 3 way deal or we just deal direct with the swans.

The Swans might just prefer to do a deal early with us and then simply say to the bombers this is what we have, rather than allow the bombers to make both deals more complicated.
I seem to think it would have to be 3-way unless Papley demands to leave and get to us, the feeling is, Papley only comes if they get Joe, Sydney May not want to put themselves in a position where they lose Papley and don’t get Joe

Hey now, I'd love LDU at Carlton!

Depends if it is a 3 way deal or we just deal direct with the swans.

The Swans might just prefer to do a deal early with us and then simply say to the bombers this is what we have, rather than allow the bombers to make both deals more complicated.
Hopefully it goes like that and happens early. Gives us time to assess other options too.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well that's so far in his NEAFL Career, 2019 is less... 18.4 disposals, 2.5 marks, 6.1 tackles and 0.6 goals

View attachment 744195

The question always has to come back to; How would we use him and is he something we need?
Bonar may end up being a very good player, but we've already put our eggs into the Setterfield basket here and now have other targets to settle.

While we've been stacking up on talls and mids, look at what Richmond have drafted by way of small forwards in recent years - Rioli, Higgins, Bolton, Stack, Butler, Castagna and they even took up a 28y.o. Pickett in the recent mid-year draft.

I'm not saying they've done it right, but how on earth is it that we currently don't have one of these types on our books?
Take one or two out for one reason or another, but the message is clear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question always has to come back to; How would we use him and is he something we need?
Bonar may end up being a very good player, but we've already put our eggs into the Setterfield basket here and now have other targets to settle.

While we've been stacking up on talls and mids, look at what Richmond have drafted by way of small forwards in recent years - Rioli, Higgins, Bolton, Stack, Butler, Castagna and they even took up a 28y.o. Pickett in the recent mid-year draft.

I'm not saying they've done it right, but how on earth is it that we currently don't have one of these types on our books?

They probably had the luxury of being able to pick those type of players, given the advanced state of their list . Has to be said, Butler is leaving, Higgins will miss close to 2 years of footy due to an awful brain injury, and Castagna was a rookie draft selection that has probably exceeded their highest expectations.

I prefer the Eagles template myself to list building a flag contender (big fan of their intercept marking and running attack from the Half Back Line/Flanks, myself)

They probably had the luxury of being able to pick those type of players, given the advanced state of their list . Has to be said, Butler is leaving, Higgins will miss close to 2 years of footy due to an awful brain injury, and Castagna was a rookie draft selection that has probably exceeded their highest expectations.

I prefer the Eagles template myself to list building a flag contender (big fan of their intercept marking and running attack from the Half Back Line/Flanks, myself)

In the long run, you don't need a lot of anything.
You just need some of everything and make that work.

Clearly we recognise this and hence our interest in Papley, Martin and even Betts & Butler.

I dig your posts hark

I think their heavy choice of small forwards is to do with their list profile. They’re stacked with small forwards while we’re stocked for young mids..

Seriously though, their mids and KPP’s are developed and they’re adding bullets. Our mids and key posies are still improving so different aims I guess.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Wtf has Bonar done in his career? No indiciation he can play footy.

Just my opinion. I like his assets and how he goes about it. Although haven’t seen any of the games this year.

If we can’t get the above mentioned I’d rather him for nothing cause of what he can offer in potential and save our cash for someone who really helps.

Martin and paps helps immediately. I wanted cogs bad but I don’t want to over pay like bombers did. I don’t think sos will anyway but just voicing my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 744195

That's actually pretty unimpressive in a weaker NEAFL league. Big numbers from talented AFL players is pretty common in that league yet he's getting low numbers.

No reason for us to go for Bonar when we have enough talented young kids, especially mids.

Clearly the club is going for mature players - all the players we have been linked to are mature, no young kids like in previous years where we got Setterfield, Kennedy etc

In the long run, you don't need a lot of anything.
You just need some of everything and make that work.

Clearly we recognise this and hence our interest in Papley, Martin and even Betts & Butler.

Agreed Harks, also I am happy they seem to be addressing our need for another quality/Back up Ruckman..

If Darcy Cameron can be half as good as Reily O'Brein or Rowan Marshall, we are in a very good promising position going forwards..

Stephen Silvagni has done a remarkable job rebuilding our list from scratch.. So proud of the Silver Fox :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back