Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dougal Howard has to be our top priority now. Dude would fit our side oh so sweetly. We have the trade assets and the cap room. We should smoke the other teams interested in him.

Howard
Keath
Bruce

Fill the rest of our list with some smalls with pace and goal sense.
Can’t see us trading for both Howard and Keath.

Can’t see us trading for both Howard and Keath.
I think we definitely would/could/should. I dont feel that defence is Cordy's best position so Lewy needs some support. We only have trengove to take the bigger bodies, he is average at best imo.
Wood is on the wrong side of 20.

Plus i really want them so we should go out and get them 😊

Couple of players in the WAFL and NEAFL would be our targets

Even Cedic Cox from Brisbane
I'm a fan of Jarvis Pina from the WAFL, reckon he lasts to our later picks? Very skilled, fairly quick, very smart player, just really undersized. Also is more of a rebounding defender which isn't the biggest need, but he does seem to have some serious ability

Hmmm he did some good things but his bad is pretty bad. Would not say he's 'seriously good'.
I missed the 3rd quarter, but outside of that he really impressed me.

Narkle looks like he could be a really good player if he cleaned up his disposal. Not sure I saw a single effective disposal, but he was finding a good amount of it and using his run reasonably well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I do take from the game last night is that we still lack a burst mid.

dusty, danger, prestia, Kelly and Edwards can all accelerate from stoppages and it just opens the game up.

Bonti, Macrae, Dunkley and to a lesser extent Lipinski, are all great, but none of them have leg speed.

Bailey smith is going to be that man for us, so we don’t need to bring one in, but I think we need to start getting him more centre bounces in 2020.

It also makes me worry about libba.

dusty, danger, prestia, Kelly and Edwards can all accelerate from stoppages and it just opens the game up.

Bonti, Macrae, Dunkley and to a lesser extent Lipinski, are all great, but none of them have leg speed.

Bailey smith is going to be that man for us, so we don’t need to bring one in, but I think we need to start getting him more centre bounces in 2020.

I also don’t see where Libba fits next year. The issue he has is that he’s pretty much next to useless unless he’s in the centre square as an inside mid and plenty have gone past him now.

Agree with nearly all of this. Even partly the last line. And I did until the GWS game. Our boys don’t have that mean streak that they need yet. Libba is our mean streak. We need him. We’ll fit him in somewhere. At least until some of our other players develop that mean streak. We’ve got plenty of players that are “take a hit and get back up tough”. But how many “take a hit and hit back harder” guys have we got? I’d say not many. In 16 we had Libba and Clay. Now we’ve got Libba who’s borderline best 22 and Gowers who’s not really close.

I too worry about Libba. And Wallis. Obviously we need to keep them unless something happens to Dunkley, Macrae or Bont but when our big three are all fit and firing I’m not sure where they fit. I expect there will be a thread about them sometime between now and round 1, 2020.

Billy Bob65 - I love all your game summaries on centre bounce rotations. Do you happen to have a season summary on hand or else I’m happy to count them all up when I get a chance. From memory reckon Lipinski was 4th most in and Smith was 5th most in for the latter parts of the season.

Wouldn’t Libba and Wallis helped against GWS. Both are mature strong bodies that can tough it out.

A fit Libba is the best tackler in the league and an elite clearance player - GWS smashed us on both counts.

West will ultimately force his way into the team but Wallis’s forward numbers and midfield rotation make him very valuable

Too easy to forget how good these guys are.

Might depend on the team but would have thought we would be much stronger with them.

Add a couple of likely trades and we would look like this

Wallis* Bruce* Dickson*/Lloyd
Dale Naughton Schache

Smith Macrae Hunter
English Bonti Dunkley

JJ Young Wood
Crozier Keath/Howard* Cordy

Int: Libba*. McLean. Richards. Daniel*

*new adds make us stronger
Extra Pre-season for most of the team who are still in steep upward development will be huge also

And draft Flanders or Weightman with Pick 12 and Jake Riccardi late. Bring in a back up Ruck as a free agent - Zac Smith not getting a game for Geelong.

Not sure we would get both Keath and Bruce and expect to keep Pick 12.

Our 30 and a player would be used for one. Maybe a down grade?

That's why I feel that Kemp would be great for our midfield has size but also that breakaway speed. Highly unlikely we are going to have the pick required though 😪

Wouldn’t Libba and Wallis helped against GWS. Both are mature strong bodies that can tough it out.

A fit Libba is the best tackler in the league and an elite clearance player - GWS smashed us on both counts.

West will ultimately force his way into the team but Wallis’s forward numbers and midfield rotation make him very valuable

Too easy to forget how good these guys are.

Might depend on the team but would have thought we would be much stronger with them.

Without a doubt they would’ve helped in that GWS game but that was a rare game where Dunkley and Bontempelli were kept ridiculously quiet. Felt like the second half of the year we finally had the balance right in our team where we had those three in the middle absolutely dominating and the rest complimenting them.

Wallis is capable enough to fill a role forward when he is not playing inside mid but would be a little wary that with 2 key forwards, Lloyd and Dickson already there might not be enough leg speed to create strong defensive pressure. Libba I’m not sure can play a role where he isn’t predominantly inside. Sort of like having Bont, Macrae, Dunks as the centre bounce trio 80% of the time with the Bailey Smith chopouts. Was frustrating in 2017-18 that Bont was spending so much time forward.

I’m sure they’ll be able to find the right balance somewhere that allows them to play while still keeping the main three as the majority midfielders but not sure what that balance is yet.

Last edited:
Without a doubt they would’ve helped in that GWS game but that was a rare game where Dunkley and Bontempelli were kept ridiculously quiet. Felt like the second half of the year we finally had the balance right in our team where we had those three in the middle absolutely dominating and the rest complimenting them.

Wallis is capable enough to fill a role forward when he is not playing inside mid but would be a little wary that with 2 key forwards, Lloyd and Dickson already their might not be enough leg speed to create strong defensive pressure. Libba I’m not sure can play a role where he isn’t predominantly inside. Sort of like having Bont, Macrae, Dunks as the centre bounce trio 80% of the time with the Bailey Smith chopouts. Was frustrating in 2017-18 that Bont was spending so much time forward.

I’m sure they’ll be able to find the right balance somewhere that allows them to play while still keeping the main three as the majority midfielders but not sure what that balance is yet.

I worry about our forward line speed, and that’s before we throw another tall in with Bruce.

I think two of dale, Dickson, Lloyd and Wallis can play. So Wallis is a tough one.

That electric small forward is still a missing link. How good were castagna and miers last night.

The other issue with going with 3 talls, is that it surely spells the end of beveridge playing a 5 man forward line (with the 6th rolling up to the midfield).

Can’t have a 5 man forward line with 3 talls (and then slower guys like Lloyd, Wallis, dale and Dickson filling the last 2 spots).

A fit Libba walks into the side that was flogged by the Plastics. Unless people think that somehow the likes of Hayes, West and Lipinski are ahead of him.

In fact a fit Libba plays and gets inside GWS flogs heads and retaliates and we could've been playing today. Up and running Libba is our most important player behind Bont and possibly Naughts

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back