Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t there a there talk of Cam Guthrie last year ....
Sadly yes, I remember trying to talk sense into the mob wanting him like he was something special. Some dressed him up like he was an A grader.. he is a very good foot soldier and not what we need and not what SOS has as a priority at all.
Not sure where someone people get these strange ideas.

Sadly yes, I remember trying to talk sense into the mob wanting him like he was something special. Some dressed him up like he was an A grader.. he is a very good foot soldier and not what we need and not what SOS has as a priority at all.
I’m quite like him I reckon he’s more than a solid solider, there was talk we where into him last year IIRC

I’m quite like him I reckon he’s more than a solid solider, there was talk we where into him last year IIRC
I like him too but I know he is not really what we need or worth what it would take to get him. You only get guys like him for unders as depth players. They nice to have if you got them for a bargain via rookie lists or pick 70 but to actually go after trading them and pay as if they more than good foot soldier is not where you want to be going.
If you pursue them as certain best 22 it means you are not setting bar high enough for standard of list you trying to reach, which should be clear number one list in AFL. I am not after just any old AFL list. I'm after being the very best. When a club has him on fringes as a regular emergency that is where you like to be in terms of list management and they paid well under $400K. You create types like him from within or like Ed Curnow from scrapheap for bargain.

Setterfield left after 2 years I think, wouldn’t he have been on a rookie contract as well? Or did he extend after year 1?

See where you’re coming from in regards to overpaying, what would be overpaying in this scenario though?

I’d very much consider parting with next years first rounder for Caldwell, looks special to me....
Setterfield had extended his contract so had another two seasons. If my memory serves me correct on a reported $400k PA. He was a salary cap dump. No way they wanted to lose his talent.

I’d do that in a heartbeat for Caldwell but I just can’t see why GWS would.

Setterfield had extended his contract so had another two seasons. If my memory serves me correct on a reported $400k PA. He was a salary cap dump. No way they wanted to lose his talent.

Yeah why not, offer our future first and 450k

Might be enough to have him begging GWS to be traded.

Then Walsh, Caldwell and Stocker would bring up the bottom of the rebuild, with Sam Doc at the top.

Maybe I'm going to get striked down for this but I would much rather pay next year's first for a readymade quality 23-25yr mid that fills an immediate need than a 2nd year youngster with great potential that takes another 3-4yrs not able to support Crippa.....hit that gws well so hard and this stage of the rebuild we need now players...

I think they have Caldwell covered, with in particular Coniglio & Taranto and even to lesser extent Hopper.

We know SOS liked Caldwell and he doesn't let go too easily and 'if' Caldwell saw opportunity to not quite be there for him, or at least severely compromised, he may make the point to GWS that he's better off being traded now than possibly spending another year in the NEAFL and being traded in 2020.

I reckon we'd have a very good chance in granting GWS our 2020 1st for Caldwell. Makes sense to me, as GWS can then manipulate another primary pick for absolute needs and not simply back-up players.

Maybe I'm going to get striked down for this but I would much rather pay next year's first for a readymade quality 23-25yr mid that fills an immediate need than a 2nd year youngster with great potential that takes another 3-4yrs not able to support Crippa.....hit that gws well so hard and this stage of the rebuild we need now players...

I've been on about; "We don't need any more kids" for ages now but Caldwell doesn't present as a 19 year old.
I'd say he'd be more in the Taranto mould where he'd show plenty from the get-go.

Last years draft was awesome, rumours this draft and next are not so good.

Caldwell rated top 5 by SOS is good enough for me to spend a future first on.

Doc is 26 he’ll the top of the rebuild, Caldwell, Walsh and Stocker can bring up the rear.l, with the rest of the list nicely grouped between.

Getting someone like Brad Crouch or Viney would give us a quick bump, but by 2021 neither would be in our starting midfield.

Last edited:

Doc is 26 he’ll the top of the rebuild, Caldwell, Walsh and Stocker can bring up the rear.l, with the rest of the list nicely grouped between.

Getting someone like Brad Crouch or Viney would give us a quick bump, but by 2021 neither would be in our starting midfield.

Brad Crouch would easily be in our starting mid in 2021

Coming off his best year ever and will be in his prime in 2 years time.

Good post.
I’ve been strongly of the opinion that we need an experienced quality midfielder now.
That said, Caldwell has always looked to be a beauty ... a real beauty.
I’m hoping our future 1st lands another mid this trade period, either option above would be terrific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that but we need experience. It showed how badly we needed it by putting Murphy and Ed back in the middle

Can't have it both ways

Play senior bodies at the expense of youth, leads to short term competitiveness

Play youth, medium to long term flourishes

Balance is key, I too prefer 23-26 year olds, but some kids are more mature than most

The likes of Caldwell ticks that box, you force the issue, someone will fall out eventually

Few things on saints and swans boards saying stkilda are in the running for papley.

They are after Sydney's jones too

Saints need to get their shit in one sock before they can recruit multiple a graders

Agree he may not be at the top of the list as player importance but he is a good player who can play midfield wing and in defence, he's quick, gives great run and rebound and is a great one on one player when minding the smalls in defence a type of player we desperately need, imo a second rounder would be a fair result for a very handy player.
That's if there's any truth to the rumour...

Sydney aren’t known to be unreasonable but something doesn’t sound right with this. I hope we don’t get bent over. The McGovern deal leaves me very nervous that opposition teams have realised we like to pay overs.

There is a school of thought that we didn't pay overs for McGovern.

He was in contract too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back