2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Do state combines ever get extra invites?
Sure do - based on AFL club interest. I think four or more clubs and less than that is state combines. Clubs can make a request for additional players to attend combines. For eg Sam Sturt got a late call up to the national combine last year from memory.

Do state combines ever get extra invites?

Yes they do.

NGA Thoughts:
Isiaiah Butters (Forward) - The good is his marking, goal-kicking and also that he just doesn't seem to lose his footing when landing (He is like a cat in that respect). The bad is that IMO he didn't chase hard enough at times. 4 goals for those that don't know which was his season high.
Leno Thomas (Defender) - Was actually good all day particularly by foot, didn't get masses amounts of it but then did the match winning spoil at the end.
Joel Western (Midfielder) - 23 possessions but his kicking was a bit hot and cold.

My thoughts on some of the players who aren't NGA but are maybe AFL potential:

Jarvis Pina (Peel - Defender) - fast, good interceptions and most importantly very good with ball in hand running out of defence or indeed kicking into the forward line. If we have late or rookie picks and he is still there, you could do a lot worse than him. Still a little sad we went O'Reilly over him in the mid-season draft.
Jaxon Egan (Peel - Defender) - yes was cool in defence and lethal at times with his kicking.
Tyrone Thorne (Peel - Forward / Midfielder) - Clever player, got lots of it but is very small even by Colts standards. Nevertheless, I think he will get drafted.
Joel Krauss (Claremont - Defender) - 19 year old - thought his rebound was very good from the Claremont end. Good size as well.
Callum Jamieson (Claremont - Ruckman) - Ruckman tried his heart out and was totally winded at one point, was actually very mobile and good kicking.

I can’t see Thorne making it at AFL level for at least 3 or so years if ever. Even today he couldn’t get separation and was easily tackled and ragdolled.

He has the agility but yes the speed is maybe not enough and at his size he is dead in the water against some players. I think someone will give him a go as a rookie but yes can't see him making it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel Western (Midfielder) - 23 possessions but his kicking was a bit hot and cold.
Only 6 of his possessions were kicks. Think all of them were in the first half when he was close to 100% efficiency - he was the classiest player on the field in that half imo. Third quarter was a bit of a disaster - was he tired? Thought he was terrible defensively in that quarter. But the 4th he did some important things at half back that probably saved goals against. Think we need to remember he is a bottom ager, playing in a Colts GF and managed to touch the ball the 2nd most times on the ground. I'm excited because I see his weaknesses as things that are relatively easily fixable in a professional environment (and depending on chosen CEO hopefully we'll have one by the time he is drafted - lol!). Only downside is he could easily be a 1st round selection (like Henry) next year if he develops as expected.

I'd happily take both Butters and Thomas as Cat Bs. Thomas was just so calm in defence and rarely wasted the ball, if ever. Also has the speed and defensive nous to lock down as well - no coincidence he was on Thorne a lot. Butters is a rough diamond, a bit like Elijah Taylor, but given he's one of the Tied to Culture boys (with Henry) you know he's got his head screwed on (there are ? marks on Taylor - I'm hoping he's still on our radar though).

Only 6 of his possessions were kicks. Think all of them were in the first half when he was close to 100% efficiency - he was the classiest player on the field in that half imo. Third quarter was a bit of a disaster - was he tired? Thought he was terrible defensively in that quarter. But the 4th he did some important things at half back that probably saved goals against. Think we need to remember he is a bottom ager, playing in a Colts GF and managed to touch the ball the 2nd most times on the ground. I'm excited because I see his weaknesses as things that are relatively easily fixable in a professional environment (and depending on chosen CEO hopefully we'll have one by the time he is drafted - lol!). Only downside is he could easily be a 1st round selection (like Henry) next year if he develops as expected.

I'd happily take both Butters and Thomas as Cat Bs. Thomas was just so calm in defence and rarely wasted the ball, if ever. Also has the speed and defensive nous to lock down as well - no coincidence he was on Thorne a lot. Butters is a rough diamond, a bit like Elijah Taylor, but given he's one of the Tied to Culture boys (with Henry) you know he's got his head screwed on (there are ? marks on Taylor - I'm hoping he's still on our radar though).

Fair enough - I probably remembered the howlers in the third quarter more than the other ones. I wasn't saying he wasn't good, just more there were some areas to work on. As Mick Ablett was saying, he will probably be something very good next year. At his current height though he probably won't be a first rounder next year, but then who knows?

What today showed is that Butters and Thomas have the talent to be AFL players; when the pressure was on they(and their skills) stood up, which is great for them and for us as Freo supporters. Thomas has been pretty consistent in that HB role, Butters has only just started to make his mark at Colts but he displayed a lot of attributes that recruiters will love.

I had to skip in and out of the game as I was working but Western reminded me a lot of a quicker Lachie Neale. His handballing looked elite to me, they were rapid. Also did the defensive things, excited to see how he goes next year and I'll need to rewatch that first half.

Thomas and Butters have to be worth a Cat B spot. Butters is rapid and a good height. He seems to have the things you cant really teach with incredible agility and speed. If we can drill a defensive game into him he could be a player. Definitely a poor mans Elijah Taylor at this stage. Thomas was pretty strong defensively and I think there is something to work with there, kicking was hit and miss for the position he was playing but as a Cat B when we'll have at least 3 top 12 picks he'd have to be worth a shot.

I reckon Western dominates next year. He'll have the other guys in his ear telling him how good it is and he seems like the type of kid to just get everything out of himself. Looking forward to watching him the "All-Stars" game next week

Finally getting to watch the game tonight. Jarvis Pina for me. So, so smooth and composed and smart. The fact that he’s Captain as well....should have got him when we could.

The Peel full forward Middleton had a good game. Good mark, long kick, seemed to have a turn of pace for his size and that goal he snapped from close range near the goal post with the player bearing down on him was high pressure and very classy.

The other Peel player that impressed me, as well as those already listed above (Pina, Egan) was No 19 - Winder - a year under the draft age.

Interesting aspect of the colts grand final was the skill level. Some players used the ball better than others
(Actually thought the Mel Whinnen medallist from Claremont was one who turned it over a bit)
but there weren't that many serious clanger kicks throughout the match.

Is it an indication of when there's an open style of game, most players at this age already have the skills and can hit a good spot.

At a higher level when the game is congested and there's players bearing down on your kick and up the ground there are multiple defenders running back reading where the kick will go and cutting off the obvious option so that the decision is harder to make - the same players might appear not to have the skills.

Last edited:
The Peel full forward Middleton had a good game. Good mark, long kick, seemed to have a turn of pace for his size and that goal he snapped from close range near the goal post with the player bearing down on him was high pressure was very classy.

The other Peel player that impressed me, as well as those already listed above (Pina, Egan) was No 19 - Winder - a year under the draft age.

Interesting aspect of the colts grand final was the skill level. Some players used the ball better than others
(Actually thought the Mel Whinnen medallist from Claremont was one who turned it over a bit)

Is it an indication of when there's an open style of game, most players at this age already have the skills and can hit a good spot.

At a higher level when the game is congested and there's players bearing down on your kick and up the ground there are multiple defenders running back reading where the kick will go and cutting off the obvious option so that the decision is harder to make - the same players might appear not to have the skills.

Yes your last point is extremely important - the skill levels in this game were extremely high but it will be interesting to see what an impact that the best defensive structures and the bigger, faster bodies of the AFL have.

The Peel full forward Middleton had a good game. Good mark, long kick, seemed to have a turn of pace for his size and that goal he snapped from close range near the goal post with the player bearing down on him was high pressure was very classy.

When commenting on the good skill level, Ablett said during the game that the basics have been a massive focus by the colts coaches.

Peel were a mess this year and I feel like it reflected alot of our youth having a very 'meh' season. We had very few players demanding selection from consistent performances. The over abundance of rucks/talls made the team completely unbalanced and noncompetitive.

xxxxx - Watson - xxxxx
xxxxx - Hughes - Carter
Bewley - Crowden - Coyler
McCarthy - Cox - Sturt
Schultz - Dixon - xxxx

Meek - Banfield - Valente

North - Giro - O'Rielly - xxxx

Looking more balanced for 2020 which is a good sign. Potentially add in Pick 5, 6, 24, Henry, Butters, Thomas.

We have quite a few young players that we need to have an interruption free pre-season so they can really crack in for Peel once the season starts. Hopefully they can put pressure on the B22 for Freo (Meek, Sturt, Dixon, Valente, Bewley).

I've said it alot over the years but a strong Peel team will pay dividends for Freo.

Peel were a mess this year and I feel like it reflected alot of our youth having a very 'meh' season. We had very few players demanding selection from consistent performances. The over abundance of rucks/talls made the team completely unbalanced and noncompetitive.

xxxxx - Watson - xxxxx
xxxxx - Hughes - Carter
Bewley - Crowden - Coyler
McCarthy - Cox - Sturt
Schultz - Dixon - xxxx

Meek - Banfield - Valente

North - Giro - O'Rielly - xxxx

Looking more balanced for 2020 which is a good sign. Potentially add in Pick 5, 6, 24, Henry, Butters, Thomas.

We have quite a few young players that we need to have an interruption free pre-season so they can really crack in for Peel once the season starts. Hopefully they can put pressure on the B22 for Freo (Meek, Sturt, Dixon, Valente, Bewley).

I've said it alot over the years but a strong Peel team will pay dividends for Freo.
The other factor was the number and duration of injuries. With a list of 44(?) you need 22 for the AFL side, then at times we had up to 16 on the injury list. That only leaves half a dozen available for Peel, and some of those as you say were just not up to snuff. The years when Peel was strong were when we were basically playing all our depth at Peel (think Zac Dawson, Matt DeBoer, the two Pearces, Suban etc) the last couple of years our depth has either been playing due to injuries to best 22 or injured themselves.

If we can get our injury management under control we will have a very strong Peel side - that is the challenge for this off season.

How many players from the Peel colts side will go on next year to play reserves and hope to break into the seniors. Will they have to go to another club to seek opportunities at WAFL league level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back