Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton
Here we go again...

tenor (2).gif

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
WOW :astonished: then why did we not get any compensation for Jarrod Waite...he had 8 plus years

Two parts to this.

We probably should have got some compensation for Waite, somewhere in the vicinity of a Band 3 or 4 compensation pick, around the third round of the draft.

We didn't because the AFL grades the compensation on the contract that a player is being recruited on, with a slight bias towards younger free agents. Waite signed a 2 year deal with North, on what I'm assuming is modest coin, and he was 31yo. This, reportedly, left him short of the requirements to qualify for the lowest band of compensation (a pick after our third, I think?). If it was a three year deal, or he was earning more per year, or he was 2-3 years younger, maybe we'd have got something. But it wasn't and we didn't.

Rosscoe

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Two parts to this.

We probably should have got some compensation for Waite, somewhere in the vicinity of a Band 3 or 4 compensation pick, around the third round of the draft.

We didn't because the AFL grades the compensation on the contract that a player is being recruited on, with a slight bias towards younger free agents. Waite signed a 2 year deal with North, on what I'm assuming is modest coin, and he was 31yo. This, reportedly, left him short of the requirements to qualify for the lowest band of compensation (a pick after our third, I think?). If it was a three year deal, or he was earning more per year, or he was 2-3 years younger, maybe we'd have got something. But it wasn't and we didn't.

Thanks Bro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BuxbaumBixby

Team Captain
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
There's something big brewing. I'm still confident it involves Gaff (or atleast to that caper of talent). That's what I'm hearing.

Papley and Martin will happen.

Betts will happen for peanuts as early as Monday

So IF we can get Papley done ....

Then IF we can get Martin done ....

(and to be brutally honest - if we can lock those two in with our existing list I reckon we should be pretty happy to just pull up stumps and get into pre-season)

THEN what else do we have to trade .... if we're going after something big then I think we'll have to give up one of our young players with currency.

Last edited:

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
So IF we can get Papley done ....

Then IF we can get Martin done ....

(and to be brutally honest - if we can lock those two in with our existing list I reckon we should be pretty happy to just pull up stumps and get into pre-season)

THEN what else to we have as trade currency .... if we're going after something big then I think we'll have to give up one of our young players with currency.
Yeh I agree, I don't feel we would have enough in terms of picks to get any other big deals done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back