List Mgmt. #11. Tim Kelly - Welcome to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

With respect Jimbojones, sincerely, Kelly seemed very respectful and thankful to our club in his interview IMHO.
'weight off shoulders' of family....great family culture at the club, etc.
Jubilant Simmo face tells me everything is ok.:)
I'm confident it will work out just fine.
I think jubilant simmo should become a thing

As a matter of face i award you three jubilant simmos for thinking it up!!

50091F9B-A376-4971-A3B4-BE6FC51667F8.jpeg 50091F9B-A376-4971-A3B4-BE6FC51667F8.jpeg 50091F9B-A376-4971-A3B4-BE6FC51667F8.jpeg

You're right, I don't understand what it's like in his position but I don't even think that's relevant.

Unfortunately being an adult is about making sacrifices and living with the consequences of your choices. Wanting to be an AFL player means signing up to the draft and seeing out your contract unless the club that takes you agrees to send you home. That's just how it is.

Now if Kelly had said 'this is too hard, we physically cannot be here' and had left to go and live in Perth rather than chase his AFL dream, I am sure Geelong would have understood that. Everybody would have sympathised with that. No one can hold him in Victoria at gunpoint. But many people have to sacrifice or put off their dreams for one reason or another. The option to go home to Perth last year was always available to Kelly if he felt the need to exercise it.

I listened to him talk the other day and it sounds like he has good relationships at Geelong and nothing but good things to say about his time there - other than of course that his family situation makes it prudent for them to go home. I am glad that we got him. I am glad that he and his wife were able to stick it out there - but I just happen to disagree with the notion that Geelong were heartless monsters last year. They did what was best for them, tried to help out Kelly as much as they could (from his own mouth) and Kelly chose the best option that he had too. A lot of our own fans are getting so sanctimonious about this when even Kelly himself doesn't appear to agree.

I'm pretty sure Tim wouldn't badmouth Geelong publicly, even if it went against what he actually thought. He's too professional for that. Nevertheless, it isn't as simple as going home. It was either live the dream you've been chasing your whole life, finally get the chance to play AFL after being passed over in five drafts, or (probably) not have it at all. He may have not been held at gunpoint, but it was choice between living the dream, or giving it up once again.

The problem with what Geelong did is that it breached the normal conduct of morality. In holding Kelly, they indicated that they value their own self interest over the interest of the player; as such, they chose selfishness over empathy. If you find selfishness to be an undesirable trait, then that makes what Geelong did quite grave. The fact that this is football doesn't allow one to operate above the standards of what is deemed acceptable.

Kelly's situation was an extreme one. I'm honestly pretty certain this is the first time it has happened in the AFL - a player has been drafted interstate, a couple of their kids have been diagnosed as autistic shortly after, and then they desperately need to get home. The fact of the matter is that this situation required empathy towards the player for this very reason - they couldn't control how difficult it was. Yet, Geelong chose to view Tim more as a commodity rather than as a person. If they didn't, he would've come home 12 months ago. In the end, you've ended up with a situation where the player's humanity is seemingly taken out of the equation - the human being that is playing for you has been devalued purely for selfish reasons. What Geelong did shouldn't be seen as acceptable in any way.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Tim wouldn't badmouth Geelong publicaly, even if it went against what he actually thought. He's too professional for that. Nevertheless, it isn't as simple as going home. It was either live the dream you've been chasing your whole life, finally get the chance to play against AFL after being passed over in five drafts, or (probably) not have it at all. He may have not been held at gunpoint, but it was choice between living the dream, or giving it up once again.

The problem with what Geelong did is that it breached the normal conduct of morality. In holding Kelly, they indicated that they value their own self interest over the interest of the player; as such, they chose selfishness over empathy. If you find selfishness to be an undesirable trait, then that makes what Geelong did quite grave. The fact that this is football doesn't allow one to operate above the standards of what is deemed acceptable.

Kelly's situation was an extreme one. I'm honestly pretty certain this is the first time it has happened in the AFL - a player has been drafted interstate, a couple of their kids have been diagnosed as autistic shortly after, and then they desperately need to get home. The fact of the matter is that this situation required empathy towards the player for this very reason - they couldn't control how difficult it was. Yet, Geelong chose to view Tim more as a commodity rather than as a person. If they didn't, he would've come home 12 months ago. In the end, you've ended up with a situation where the player's humanity is seemingly taken out of the equation - the human being that is playing for you has been devalued purely for selfish reasons. What Geelong did shouldn't be seen as acceptable in any way.
100% correct. Did they really think he'd be in the best state to play with all that anxiousness about his kids? He carried himself with dignity and class as far as I'm concerned. Must've been horrible. I hope things have settled down for him and his family now.

Don’t be surprised if the VFL starts discussing the need for a third team in WA...or reallocate Gold Coast to Perth and call them the Golden State Suns.
Yes, without wanting to head down the conspiracy road, there was definitely a huge reaction in Vic/ AFL circles, when Optus stadium opened and Eagles were looking threatening at the same time, making it a fortress, and we belted Cats, Tigers, Pies and poor sliders Melbourne-and we started winning at the MCG. They had to throw out all their tired cliches about WCE. But there was also an almost instant knee-jerk reaction as they started throwing money around for new stadiums, locking in the MCG with the Vic govnmnt and throwing money at country footy etc. Tourism was a big factor and the drawcard that Optus had become to sporting events. They definitely circled the wagons and it really had that 'us against them' mentality.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Tim wouldn't badmouth Geelong publicaly, even if it went against what he actually thought. He's too professional for that. Nevertheless, it isn't as simple as going home. It was either live the dream you've been chasing your whole life, finally get the chance to play against AFL after being passed over in five drafts, or (probably) not have it at all. He may have not been held at gunpoint, but it was choice between living the dream, or giving it up once again.

Nobody owes you your dream. If he had to pack up and go home without seeing out his contract, that would have sucked and he would've joined the 99% of other people who also don't get to chase their dream for whatever reason. That's life.

Everything you're saying goes against all the information that is public. Geelong did their best to make the situation work and to come up with a solution that would help him stay long term. There is no proof that they refused to trade him last year, only that they didn't like the deal they were offered (probably with good reason). Kelly has nothing but positive things to say about them. Kelly and his wife did manage to make it through his contract including the second year and perform at his peak apparently without disaster.

Anyway these two more posts on the topic is enough for me. People will probably disagree about this for the rest of eternity. He's ours now and they made it through the hard times so good on them. I just don't agree that Geelong were villains in all this.

You just articulated everything i was thinking, we actually did the complete opposite thing as a club, we moved heaven and earth (including his teammates) to get him home.

Nobody owes you your dream. If he had to pack up and go home without seeing out his contract, that would have sucked and he would've joined the 99% of other people who also don't get to chase their dream for whatever reason. That's life.

Everything you're saying goes against all the information that is public. Geelong did their best to make the situation work and to come up with a solution that would help him stay long term. There is no proof that they refused to trade him last year, only that they didn't like the deal they were offered (probably with good reason). Kelly has nothing but positive things to say about them. Kelly and his wife did manage to make it through his contract including the second year and perform at his peak apparently without disaster.

Anyway these two more posts on the topic is enough for me. People will probably disagree about this for the rest of eternity. He's ours now and they made it through the hard times so good on them. I just don't agree that Geelong were villains in all this.
You're half right, the main thing you got wrong is "Geelong did their best to come up with a solution".... No they didn't, they did their best to export as much blood out of it as they could.

So anyone been to the Geelong board to see if Tkelly has magically turned into an over-rated hack that they just robbed us blind for?

No one on the Geelong board would ever say Tim is a hack.

Of course we have loved watching him play for us, but he has always wanted to move and we got a good deal. That's life.
I hope he and his family does well in the West.

Mate, you would have had him playing in 2019 if you had made a decent offer last year.
While incredibly sympathetic of his situation, Geelong was never going to give him away for peanuts to a flag contender.
You have him now though and best of luck with him.

Geelong was never going to give him away for peanuts to a flag contender.

Nothing personal, but I sincerely hope this attitude comes back to bite Geelong.

Gutted to see Tim leave us even though as Cats fans we all knew it was coming. I wish him all the best - he was a consummate professional through his entire time with our club, so honestly I have nothing but respect for the guy.

In terms of what he'll bring to your midfield, I'll just say that while the ground ball get stats that have been posted in this thread demonstrste his excellence in that area, they probably don't *fully* capture how good he is at doing it at full speed, which is how we really hurts teams and breaks lines. He just has this uncanny ability to gather the ball at pace in one silky-smooth movement.

Yeah it is hard when he leaves your team especially with how well he has performed.

IMO both west coast and Geelong got deals which i thought were fair and a win-win for both sides. Geelong will still be up there as they have a war chest entering the draft

Mate, you would have had him playing in 2019 if you had made a decent offer last year.
While incredibly sympathetic of his situation, Geelong was never going to give him away for peanuts to a flag contender.
You have him now though and best of luck with him.
No body expects peanuts given his ability but his genuine needs to be home have been known since before he was drafted hindsight ect I’m still surprised Wells took a flyer

I have been trying to figure out why Kelly wasn’t picked up earlier. Have a read of this from 2016.
Was the report a bit biased perhaps given it was published in his club? Seems awfully like the Tim we see today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody beauty. Welcome Tim.

Bring on 2019 with the best midfield in the comp delivering to the best forward line in the comp.

Premiership 2020

You don't rate Richmond's forward line & midfield?

Tigers also see the return of their 5 x all-Australian CHB + full preseasons in to Stack & Pickett and probably play 17 +games at the MCG again.

Richmond are the team to beat in 2020....

Nothing personal, but I sincerely hope this attitude comes back to bite Geelong.
You really think your club (or any club for that matter) would not have done the same thing were they in the same situation?

BTW, I'm really not here to pick a fight. Loved watching Tim play for us and I hope he thrives in his home state.

Makes it even more insane that they didn't rookie list him while developing him. Perhaps they offer development to a number of players, would have to be the only reason why you would invest that time and not secure him with a rookie spot.
Maybe they felt for his development he was better playing with mates at South Freo than for East Perth

Maybe they felt for his development he was better playing with mates at South Freo than for East Perth
Clearly we felt it was more important to have Gorter on the list, a backup to the backup to the backup to the backup key position defender who is actually more the height of a third tall defender and is an average WAFL level player with limited upside. You can see why they made this decision.

You really think your club (or any club for that matter) would not have done the same thing were they in the same situation?

No I don't. We'll never know for sure, but to say we offered peanuts is a bit of a stretch, we offered the best we had at the time for a player begging to go home and Geelong wanted nothing of it.

It means little now, with a second great season both clubs got a fair deal IMO.

Tigers also see the return of their 5 x all-Australian CHB + full preseasons in to Stack & Pickett and probably play 17 +games at the MCG again.

I rate them.

Second

Where does this 5 X all Australian fullback play? Defence.
Why even mention him when I'm talking about our midfield and forward line

And Pickett and stack...who knows how good they will be but stack was dropped when we played Richmond at the mcg and Pickett had played 1 game.

Strange you took exception to my comment but I guess it isn't that strange

Another eagles premiership would just about do your head in wouldn't it lol.

The Richmond ass licking thread can be found on their board mate.

I like that your username pays homage to the great Tim Kelly. The man can even transcend WA interclub hatred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back