US Sports: NBA NFL NHL and MLB

Remove this Banner Ad

The coolest jerseys indeed, one of the best in world sports imo

#generalNHLthread

Well normally I'd suggest following a team from a city that you already follow, but I see you're a Phoenix Suns fan and the 'yotes are horrible so I won't suggest that. You could go for the San Jose Sharks, they have a good team and wear black, white and teal, but Stanley_Park might give you s**t for following a plastic franchise. If that's a problem for you then all I can suggest is choosing an original six team, which is one of Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, NY Rangers, Detroit or Boston. The best out of that group is Chicago by far, plus Hammer goes for them so...

I was leaning towards the Maple Leafs, but a Canadian mate at work wanted to hunt me down as he's a Calgary man. He's also given me his league pass id so I best be nice to him LOL

Well normally I'd suggest following a team from a city that you already follow, but I see you're a Phoenix Suns fan and the 'yotes are horrible so I won't suggest that. You could go for the San Jose Sharks, they have a good team and wear black, white and teal, but Stanley_Park might give you s**t for following a plastic franchise. If that's a problem for you then all I can suggest is choosing an original six team, which is one of Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, NY Rangers, Detroit or Boston. The best out of that group is Chicago by far, plus Hammer goes for them so...

Forklift driver at work is a mad Chicago fan. But they're not that far ahead of Detroit, Boston or NY Rangers.

San Jose Sharks are a good team and have good colours. Look to be honest all the NHL teams are plastic compared to AFL clubs, they are owned by rapacious billionaires. They're good entertainers but thats all.

I was leaning towards the Maple Leafs, but a Canadian mate at work wanted to hunt me down as he's a Calgary man. He's also given me his league pass id so I best be nice to him LOL

The Toronto Maple Leafs are to the NHL what Richmond is to the AFL. I support the Leafs in as much as I follow a team as Mrs P. is from Ontario. Calgary has been floundering for a while.

In fact it's a terrible time for Canadian NHL teams. Vancouver and Calgary are rebuilding, Edmonton are just diabolical, Winnipeg are still settling in, Ottawa have lost too many good players and Toronto are, well, Toronto. Montreal are the only team that would be expected to make the playoffs this year.

Forklift driver at work is a mad Chicago fan. But they're not that far ahead of Detroit, Boston or NY Rangers.

I was just judging them more on likability rather than talent which is pretty subjective. I hate the Rangers and Bruins for obvious Canuck related reasons (Bruins are pretty easy to hate let's be honest) and Detroit are a bit meh despite Datsyuk and Zetterberg. They've all been up there in recent seasons.

Good post btw.

Yeah Boston aren't exactly warm and fuzzy....

On the flight to Canada i watched a movie about Maurice "Rocket" Richard, the best player of the '40s and '50's and the Boston Bruins are presented as his 'arch-nemesis'. But there were never any angels in old style hockey!

Small article in the paper today that the government wants to attract America's Team, the great Dallas Cowboys, to play a match at Adelaide Oval.

I didn't know where to put this but there was a thread on the main board about our logo. I did a bit of research to find a worse logo and a dig through second tier Canadian hockey provided a rich find. There are some fantastically bad logos in Canadian hockey.

bellville bulls.png calgary hitmen.png edmonton oil kings.png kelowna rockets.png north bay batallion.png oceanic rimouski.png windsor spitfires.png

Anyone watching the NBA and NHL playoffs? It's been pretty entertaining so far. The Bulls vs Bucks game earlier today was quality - Rose really should have done better in those final seconds.

I'm a Utah Jazz fan in the NBA though so don't really care who wins it in the end, just hope it's not the bloody Spurs again. I became a Jazz fan because of these guys in the 90s:

I really love that video. My two favourite basketball players of all time with Ennio Morricone playing in the background. Superb.

In the NHL I'm a Tampa Bay Lightning fan but I don't follow it very closely. They're in the playoffs though, down 3-2 in the series against the Red Wings but it's not over yet.

My other teams in US Sports are the Oakland Athletics (MLB) and Dallas Cowboys (NFL). I have absolutely no geographical consistency, I picked each one of them for totally different reasons.

Out of all my US sports teams, the only one I really follow on a regular basis is the Oakland A's. Love baseball and the last couple of years have been extremely exciting, even if ending with excruciating pain in the playoffs. I used to follow the Jazz too but not so much ever since Stockton retired (which was quite a long time ago).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried getting into NHL as an Aussie living in Canada but it's just not my big go. Mrs P. isn't a huge fan. After following Port Adelaide which is a community owned organisation the whole corporate ownership/for profit model of North American sports just doesn't work for me.

But I live in Western Canada and there's a fair bit of rivalry at the moment with the Vancouver/Calgary playoff matchup happening. As I type, Vancouver is up 3 goals to 1 in the start of the second period in game 6 in Calgary. There is money and bragging rights at stake where I work.

I once tried to get more into hockey as well, one of my best friends is a sports journalist and is fanatic about the Red Wings. I even subscribed to NHL TV for a season but ended up watching very little so I cancelled it at the end of the season.

I think it's a nice sport but just not my favourite thing I guess.

It's more fun to go to the actual games to be fair. Up close and personal these guys are pretty impressive. Not sure television can do the game real justice.

It's more fun to go to the actual games to be fair. Up close and personal these guys are pretty impressive. Not sure television can do the game real justice.
A friend of mine who lived in Toronto for a year said the same. He had never watched hockey before moving up there but became a regular (I think in some minor league team games, because the Maple Leafs must be sold out all the time). There's also the problem of trying to watch the game on the internet when the stream is not top quality, as it gets even harder to know where the * the puck is :D

A friend of mine who lived in Toronto for a year said the same. He had never watched hockey before moving up there but became a regular (I think in some minor league team games, because the Maple Leafs must be sold out all the time). There's also the problem of trying to watch the game on the internet when the stream is not top quality, as it gets even harder to know where the **** the puck is :D

HD TV was made for hockey. But yeah even with a HD television it's hard for my eyes to follow the puck.

Calgary have tied things up 3-3 late in the second period. If they win, they advance to the next round and Vancouver are out (and there'll be some stroppy lads at work on Monday).

Bolts just beat the Red Wings by 5-2 in Detroit to force a Game 7. Gonna be intense.

Anyone watching the NBA and NHL playoffs? It's been pretty entertaining so far. The Bulls vs Bucks game earlier today was quality - Rose really should have done better in those final seconds.

I'm a Utah Jazz fan in the NBA though so don't really care who wins it in the end, just hope it's not the bloody Spurs again. I became a Jazz fan because of these guys in the 90s:

I really love that video. My two favourite basketball players of all time with Ennio Morricone playing in the background. Superb.

In the NHL I'm a Tampa Bay Lightning fan but I don't follow it very closely. They're in the playoffs though, down 3-2 in the series against the Red Wings but it's not over yet.

My other teams in US Sports are the Oakland Athletics (MLB) and Dallas Cowboys (NFL). I have absolutely no geographical consistency, I picked each one of them for totally different reasons.

Out of all my US sports teams, the only one I really follow on a regular basis is the Oakland A's. Love baseball and the last couple of years have been extremely exciting, even if ending with excruciating pain in the playoffs. I used to follow the Jazz too but not so much ever since Stockton retired (which was quite a long time ago).

I have a soft spot for the Jazz with the Aussie boys Exum and Ingles on their roster.... Love Gobert also.

Alas I am a big Phoenix Suns fan... Steve Nash :hearts:

Houston rockets and dallas cowboys fan and gamepass holder for both. Watching the playoffs and hoping we wrap up the series against the Mavs tomorrow. Will be a tough round 2 whoever we get.

Never really followed NHL. Use to play as the Colorado avalanche on the NHL video games as a kid so have a soft spot for them but never really paid much attention to the league.

Watching Mike and Mike on ESPN2 and they have spent the last 10 minutes talking to the ESPN College Football analyst about Thursday's (US time) NFL draft. Looks like another quarterback will be no. 1 pick Marcus Mariota of the Oregon Ducks. I have heard of the Uni of Oregon but never the Ducks.

Not exactly the round ball. This is one of my all time heroes. One of the best and certainly one of the best to watch. Privileged to have watched him in my childhood. Hopefully I can say the same about Wingard one day.

Bill Belichick is 67, Gregg Popovich is 70. Its not how old you are, its how much brain power and people skills you have. Age shall not weary them, or condemn.

I get what you're going for, but Popovich's ideas and systems are outdated now and the Spurs have been insignificant for a long time now (also Team USA were horrid).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back